It’s the power of less.
这叫做少的力量
Pick a number…
选个数字…
between one and… ten.
从一到…十
Six.
六
Complete short story, six words.
绝对短小的故事 六个字
“For sale, baby shoes. Never worn.”
“出♥售♥ 童鞋 全新”
Señor Hemingway. Please?
海明威先生 拜托了?
You’re quite a pretty young lady.
你是位相当漂亮的女士
Thank you.
谢谢您
Yes.
好的
Couldn’t find your sugar.
我找不到你家的糖在哪
I read an AP article that said he’s the biggest tourist attraction in Cuba.
我读到了一篇美国联合通讯社的文章 说他是古巴最吸引人的景点
Said thousands of tourists come from all over the world just to get a glimpse of him.
文章里面说上千的游客从全世界各地赶来就是为了看他一眼
I’ve never seen anything like it.
我从没见过这样的场景
He draws a crowd wherever he goes. Thank you.
无论他走到哪身后都有一大群人 谢谢
The only place he gets any real privacy is at sea.
唯一能让他有点私人空间的地方就是海上
Must be awful to be that famous.
那样出名的感觉一定糟透了
What is his wife like? I haven’t met her yet. I’m supposed to this weekend.
他的妻子怎么样? 我还没见过她 不过大概这周末就能见到了
This weekend. I got the weekend off.
这周末啊 我这周末没事
I was hoping maybe we could go to the Keys.
我还想着也许我们能一起去佛罗里达礁岛群看看
They– they’ve invited me to the finca.
他们–他们已经邀请我去庄园了
I’m gonna go to their house.
我得过去他们家
Oh, wow, that’s great.
哦 噢 那挺好的
Yeah. We’ll go another time.
是啊 那我们再找别的时间
Oh, my God.
我的天
Gracias.【西班牙语】
谢了
Shh.
嘘
Papa working.
爸爸工作
Miss Mary swim.
玛丽小姐游泳
Oh, my…
哦 我的天…
Oh. Hello.
哦 嗨
You must be the kid.
你就是那个孩子吧
Uh, yeah. I g– I guess I am.
啊 是 我 我是
Edmund, isn’t it?
艾德蒙 对吧?
Eddie.
埃迪
Hello. I’m Mary Hemingway.
嗨 我是玛丽·海明威
I know.
我知道
Hi.
嗨
Papa showed me your stories. You write very well.
爸爸给我看了你的故事 你写的很好
We’re both impressed. Thank you.
我们都很感动 谢谢
I didn’t embarrass you, did I?
我没让你觉得尴尬吧?
No, no, no. No, no.
不不不 不 没有
How God made me.
上帝就是这么创造我的
My perfect pocket Rubens.
我完美的小可爱
Why, thank you, kind sir.
怎么啦 谢谢 亲爱的先生
We do have a generally good alliance, don’t we?
我们的确有着一般来说良好的配合 不是吗?
Based upon your great beauty and the wondrous blondness of your hair.
建立在你惊人的美貌和迷人的金色秀发之上
Deeply rooted in his system of values,
这是他根深蒂固的价值观
Papa has a secret mysticism about blonde hair.
爸爸对于金发有着秘密的情怀
You’d be ecstatic in a world of female dandelions, wouldn’t you, love?
在一个女性都是金黄色蒲公英的世界你是不是会欣喜若狂 我亲爱的?
Sure.
当然
Come and have a drink.
过来喝一杯吧
I confess, it is artificial.
我承认 这是染的
It used to be a color people called titian, but I like to call it a nice peanut brown.
我的头发以前是黄褐色的 但我更喜欢叫它花生粽色
Oh, Papa, I do believe we’ve embarrassed the kid.
哦 Papa 这孩子肯定被我们弄尴尬了
He’ll get used to it.
他会习惯的
No, I was just an ignorant bum
我以前就是个无知的流浪汉
who read a lot in libraries to stay out of the rain.
为了避雨经常去图书馆看书
You know, mostly day labor jobs and flophouses,
做临时工 住廉价旅馆
and then after years of hustling,
经过多年的努力
I finally managed to weasel my way into a job
我终于谋到了差事
on the sports desk of a local paper in Northern California,
为北加州一家当地报纸的体育板工作
which was a dream.
那就是我的梦想
The only problem was, I didn’t know how to write.
唯一的问题是 我不会写字
I mean, I could read okay.
我阅读还行
But to actually type out sentences, and spelling and punctuation…
但要我打出句子 拼写 标点
I didn’t know anything.
我根本不会
In the newspaper business, this could be a problem.
在报纸行业 这还真是个问题
Yeah, the city editor found it particularly amusing
对 新闻编辑觉得特别搞笑
.when I spelled the word “maybe” M-A-B-E.
当我把”maybe”拼成”mabe”的时候
Ooh.
喔
He called me a liar and then he fired me.
他说我是个骗子 然后解雇了我
So what did you do?
那你怎么办呢
Well, I knew that I wanted to be a writer,
我知道我要成为一名作家
and the only thing I could do was go and beg for my job back.
我唯一能做的是去讨回我的工作
So after about three days of begging he finally said,
我求了他三天 他终于说
“Okay, fine, you have two weeks, no pay.
好吧 给你两周时间 没有工资
Maybe you can learn to be a writer.”
或许你能学会当一名作家
So I worked at the paper during the day
然后我白天在报社工作
and then at night I stayed, typing over your short stories.
晚上用你的短篇小说学习打字
I copied them word for word.
我一字不漏地打出来
It taught me how to type,
那教会了我打字
it taught me the English language,
教会我语言
it taught me spelling, grammar and how to write dialogue.
教会我拼写 语法 怎样写对话
It taught me how to see.
也教会了我怎样看这个世界
Smart.
很聪明
Changed my life.
那改变了我的人生
And did you get your job back?
那你找回工作了吗
Yeah. A year later, I was on my way to Korea as a war correspondent.
是的 一年后 我作为战地记者去了朝鲜
Didn’t I tell you what kind of kid he’d be?
我就说这孩子不简单
Did you ever find your parents?
你找到父母了吗
Yeah– Yeah, I met my mother for about–
找到了 有一次我和我母亲见了
f-for about 10 minutes once, yeah.
大约十分钟
No good, huh?
不太好 是吗
Yeah, she just had other agendas.
嗯 她那时候有其他安排了
Yeah.
嗯
I had a mother like that myself.
我也有一个那样的母亲
You know, my father killed himself.
你知道 我父亲自杀了
Couldn’t take it anymore.
他乘受不了那一切
We’ll be your family. Huh, kid?
我们将成为你的家人 好吗 孩子?
I’m not sure if the kid knows what he’s getting himself into.
这孩子一点也不知道我们是一个什么样的家庭呢
Hemingway really said that to you?
海明威真的对你这么说了吗
Isn’t that what you’ve always wanted? To be part of a family?
那不就是你一直想要的吗 成为家庭的一份子
Yeah, I guess so.
嗯 我想是的
You ever think about having a family of your own one day?
你有没有想过组建一个自己的家庭
Come on. Let’s go swimming.
来 我们游泳吧
I didn’t– I didn’t bring a swimsuit.
我没带泳衣
It’s how God made me.
上帝造我便如此
Copy.
复印
Such great news!
多好的消息
I’m so happy for you both! Thank you.
我为你们俩感到高兴 谢谢
Eddie, what happened to that story, you know, about the kid hobo riding the rails?
埃迪 那个乘火车的流浪儿的故事后来怎么样了
Oh, yeah, I, uh– Well, I sold it, actually. Yeah.
哦 对 呃 其实我卖♥♥掉了
Yeah.
是的
Well! Who to?
卖♥♥给了谁
It wasn’t exactly The New Yorker, you know.
反正不是《纽约客》
Right. So who? I’m embarrassed to say. I don’t want to say. Oh, come on, kid!
所以是谁啊 我不好意思说 我不想说 说吧 孩子
You’re among friends here.
这儿都是朋友
No, that’s exactly–That’s why I don’t want to say anything.
不 这正是我不想说的原因
Uh, Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.
呃《麦克肖恩之谜杂♥志♥》
Oh! Well, congratulations. How much did they pay?
哇 恭喜 他们付了多少钱
Uh, it wasn’t that much. How much was it?
呃 不多 多少?
Come on! How much wasn’t that much?
说吧 不多是多少?
Uh… $42.
呃 42美金
How much? Uh, it was $42.
多少? 呃 42美金
How much do you get for a short story now, Papa? $100 a word?
你现在一篇小说能卖♥♥多少钱 Papa? 每个词100美金?
Forty-two bucks. That’s– That’s swell, kid.
42块 很不错 孩子
Christ, I sold Big Two-Hearted River for 15.
天哪 《大双心河》我只卖♥♥了15块
Ernie, that’s an American classic.
厄尼 那可是一篇美国经典
Jesus Christ, you sold it for 15 bucks?
天哪 你只买♥♥了15块?