I even had a teacher draw up a recommendation
为我写了封学生签证的推荐信
for a student visa for me.
然后呢
And what happened?
-你是指我为什么没有继续下去吗 -是的
– You mean why didn’t I pursue it? – Yeah.
嗯
Um…
嗯 我想可能是 我先拿到了教学证书
Well, I thought I had a… I’d get a teaching certificate first,
然后 然后遇见了黛安
and then… then I met Diane.
然后 然后我们就结婚了 霍莉出生的时候
And, uh, then we got married, and when Holly came along,
我已经在教书了
uh, I was already teaching.
而且我还用了好几个夏天来建房♥子
And also spending my summers building houses
因为我觉得我们的钱永远也不够花
because I thought we needed more money.
我记得你和其他老师一起修房♥子
I remember you fixing houses with other teachers.
是吗
Yeah?
露丝
Ruth?
♪ Or if on joyful wing
♪ Cleaving the sky
♪ Sun, moon, and stars forgot
♪ Upward I fly
♪ Still all my song shall be
♪ Nearer my God to Thee
♪ Nearer my God to Thee
♪ Nearer to Thee
我们今天相聚在这里 是为了怀念露丝·乔伊斯女士
We’re here today to remember Mrs. Ruth Joyce.
在她的众多优秀的品质中 乐于助人最为人称道
Among her many attributes was generosity of spirit.
乔伊斯女士是扶轮社的会计
Mrs. Joyce was the treasurer of the Rotary Club…
是霍尔特县集市会里待了30年的老成员
a 30-year member of the Holt County Fair Committee…
♪ I was a highwayman
♪ Along the coach roads I did ride
♪ Sword and pistol by my side
♪ Many a young maid lost her baubles To my trade
♪ Many a soldier shed his lifeblood On my blade
♪ The bastards hung me In the spring of ’25
♪ But I am still alive
♪ I was a sailor
♪ I was born upon the tide
♪ With the sea, I did abide
♪ I sailed a schooner Round the Horn to Mexico
♪ I went aloft and furled the mainsail In a blow
♪ And when the yards broke off They said that I got killed
♪ But I am living still
♪ I was a dam builder Across the river deep and wide
♪ Where steel and water did collide
♪ A place called Boulder On the wild Colorado
♪ I slipped and fell Into the wet concrete below
♪ They buried me in that great tomb That knows no sound
♪ But I am still around
♪ I’ll always be around And around and around and around
先伸你的左脚 对 就是这样
Your left foot. Yeah, there you go.
然后你 像这样往后退一步
Then you… go back like this.
当你把球扔出去的时候 你用那只脚往前走一步
And then when you go to throw, you step forward with that foot.
-做的非常好 -像这样吗
– There you go. – Like this?
-对 但是等我走过去再扔 好吗 -好
– Yeah, but wait until I get there, okay? – Okay.
开始吧
Let’s have it.
再试一次
Try it again.
你没明白我的意思 你可以放轻松点 好吗
You don’t understand. You could be looser, you know?
你
You…
-向前迈一步 然后扔出去 -好的
– Just step forward and throw. – Okay.
懂了吗
Okay?
来吧
There you go.
噢 嘿 我抓住了
Ooh! Hey, strike.
好了
Here you go.
杰米 这个给你 这个很好 也很锋利
Jamie, this is for you. This is nice and sharp.
好的
Okay.
-好了吗 安上了吗 -有一个可以吃的
– Okay? Got it? – And here’s one to eat.
哟吼 哇哦
Hoo-hoo! Wow.
不要全吃光了 给我留点
Don’t eat them all. Save something for me.
路易斯 你想吃棉花糖吗
Louis, you want a marshmallow?
-什么 -你想吃棉花糖吗
– Huh? – You want a marshmallow?
-你烤给自己吗 -对 给你吃也没关系
– Is that yours? – Well, you can have it.
你会爱上这个味道的 是吧
You’re gonna love it. Don’t you?
我一整天都没有看见你的手♥机♥了
I haven’t seen your phone all day.
对 路易斯说山上可能没有信♥号♥♥
Well, I left it at home because Louis said
所以我就把它留在家里了
it probably wouldn’t get connection in the mountains.
好了 让我们尝尝味道怎么样 准备好了吗
Okay, let’s see how it tastes. Are you ready?
好了 尝一下
All right, try it.
嗯 天呐
Mm. Gosh.
味道简直妙不可言
It tastes really good.
棉花糖已经被煮熟了
The marshmallow has actually been cooked.
我们就在那边的帐篷里
You know, we’re in that tent right over here.
如果你要找我们 喊一声就好了 知道吗
If you need us, just call, okay?
我爱你 奶奶
I love you, Nana.
晚安 宝贝
Good night, sweetheart.
你太安静了 路易斯
You’re awfully quiet, Louis.
嗯 我只是想起来一些事
Well, I was just thinking.
你知道吗 我们过去常常来这里 就我们两个
You know, we used to come here all the time, just the two of us.
-你和黛安 -嗯
– You and Diane? – Uh-huh.
她还能动的时候我们常常来
We’d come when she was able.
她很勇敢地和病魔斗争 是吗
She fought hard, did… didn’t she?
是啊 一开始的时候的确是那样
Yeah, in the beginning, she did.
但是到最后 没什么精力再斗争了
But in the end, there wasn’t much fight left.
白天的时候 我陪她坐着 给她带些吃的
I would sit with her during the day, and I would bring her food,
想办法让她吃下去
and I would try to get her to eat.
但是那时候 我们实际上
But at the same time, we weren’t
已经不再和对方讲话了 而且我
really talking to each other anymore, and I…
我想她想表达意思是 “我也时日无多了”
I think she was basically just saying, “I’m… I’m done with it.”
你知道的 我们 我们总是认为我们自己可以弥补一切 但是
You know, we… we always think we can fix everything, but…
有些事我们弥补不了
some things we can’t fix.
我们必须学着宽恕自己
We have to learn to forgive ourselves.
是啊 但 但事实并非如此
Yeah. Yeah, yeah, but that’s not it.
你知道吗 我是说 她过世的时候 霍莉和我都在场
You know, I mean, Holly and I were there when she passed.
我记得
I remember…
慢慢等待着她生命的流逝
wanting to feel her leave…
她的灵魂或什么的
her spirit or something.
但相反 就好像她还在人世一样
And instead, it just seems like she’s still around.
你想说什么都可以跟我说 你知道的
You can tell me anything. You know that.
我要把这个套在你身上 好了
Look, I’m gonna put this on you. Yes!
现在我们到家了
Now that we’re back home,
我跟你说 你一定会想念山间的空气的
I’m telling you, you’re gonna miss that mountain air.
-是啊 -来吧 小姑娘
– Yeah. – Come on, girl.
我觉得我已经喜欢上高海拔了
You know, I think I’ve decided I really like altitude.
-嘿 大块头 -什么
– Hey, big guy. – Yeah?
-嗨 -吉恩
– Hi. – Gene.
所以你给了他一只狗 对吗
Oh, so you got him a dog, huh?
她叫邦尼 路易斯送他的 你认识路易斯·沃特斯的
Bonny. Louis got her for him. You know Louis Waters.
是的 你好啊 吉恩
Yes. Hello, Gene.
你好 沃特斯先生
Hi, Mr. Waters.
我一整天给你打电♥话♥都没通 你们去哪儿了
I’ve been trying to call you all day. Where were you?
我想我该回我家去了
You know, I should be getting back to my place.
-你一会儿会给我打电♥话♥吗 -会的
– Would you call me later? – Yeah.
-好的 -再见 杰米
– Okay. – Bye, Jamie.
-再见 谢谢你 -见到你很高兴 吉恩
– Bye. Thank you. – Good to see you again, Gene.
我们去露营了
We went camping.
-露营很好玩 -是啊
– It was really fun. – It was.
-真的吗 你玩得开心吗 -开心
– Oh, really? Yeah, you had fun? – Yeah.
-好玩吗 -烤了棉花糖
– It was good? – Roasted marshmallows.
杰米真的很喜欢
Jamie really liked that.
确实很棒
Yeah, it was neat.
路易斯·沃特斯 真的吗
Louis Waters, really?
我们能晚点再谈这个事吗
Can we talk about this later?
我能带邦尼去散步吗
Uh, can I take Bonny on a walk?
当然可以
Yeah, yeah, sure you can.
我知道他对他的家人做了什么 我当时也住在这 记得吗
I know what he did to his family. I was here, remember?
-那是40年前的事了 -没错 但时间并不能抹平一切
– That was 40 years ago. – Yeah, well, it still happened.
他毁了他的家庭
He destroyed a family.
他对他做的事很抱歉 好吗
He’s sorry that he did it, okay?
他现在又弥补不了 所以
And he can’t fix it now, so…
我能问你点事吗
Can I ask you something?
我听说他在你这边过夜
I heard he sleeps over.
你真的觉得这样妥当吗
Do you really think that’s okay?
我觉得这可不关你的事
I don’t see how that is any of your business.
如果牵扯了我儿子就是我的事了
Well, it is my business if my kid is involved.
这跟我有关
It is my business.
我不想让他受到伤害
I don’t want him to get hurt.
这个夏天贝弗莉走了
Oh, you don’t think he was
你难道觉得他没有受到伤害吗
already hurt with Bev running off this summer?