He’s wrong.
当你了解泰勒的关键假设后 真♥相♥就浮出水面
When you know Teller’s critical assumptions, the real picture emerges.
最底限呢?
Bottom line?
核反应失控的可能性几乎为零
The chances of an out-of-control nuclear reaction are near-zero.
几乎为零
Near-zero.
奥比 这是好消息
Oppie, this is good news.
嗯哼
Mm-hmm.
你能再算一遍吗?
Can you run them again?
噢 算多少遍答案都一样
Oh, you’ll get the same answer.
这是你在真正引爆之前
Until they actually detonate one of these things,
所能得到的最佳保证
the best assurance you’re going to get is this.
几乎为零
Near-zero.
理论总是灰色的
Theory will take you only so far.
你好!
嗨
-Hello!
-Hi.
我们好想他
We missed him.
你想领养吗?
You want to adopt?
她开玩笑的
She’s kidding.
我们想在走之前见见你
We wanted to see you before we left.
为了不能说的秘密
For parts unknown.
你知道前几天我碰见谁了?
You know who I ran into the other day?
埃尔坦登
Eltenton.
那个壳牌公♥司♥化学家? 工会的?
That chemist from Shell? The union guy?
是啊 FAECT那家伙
Yeah, the FAECT guy.
他在抱怨我们投入战争的方法
He was moaning about how we’re handling the war.
怎么了?
How so?
与我们的盟友缺乏合作
Lack of cooperation with our allies.
显然 我们的政♥府♥没有和俄♥国♥分享任何研究成果
Apparently, our government’s not sharing any research with the Russians.
他说 大多数科学家认为这项政策是愚蠢的
He said most scientists think the policy is stupid.
-哦 是吗?
-是的
-Oh, yeah?
-Yeah.
他提到如果有人想传递什么信息
He mentioned that if anyone had anything they wanted to pass on,
他可以帮忙 通过官方渠道
going around official channels, that he could help.
那是叛国罪
That would be treason.
是的 当然
Yes, of course.
我只是觉得你应该知道
I just thought you should know.
小家伙睡着了
The brat is down.
马提尼酒呢?
Where are the martinis?
马上就来
Coming right up.
谈话到此结束
The conversation ended there.
我们是多年的好友 我绝不相信
Nothing in our long-standing friendship would have led me to believe
薛瓦利埃实际上是在试探口风
that Chevalier was actually seeking information,
我敢肯定他对我所从事的工作一无所知
and I am certain that he had no idea of the work in which I was engaged.
我早就清楚地意识到 我应该立即报告此事
It has long been clear to me that I should have reported this incident at once.
奥本海默事件凸显了科学家与安全机构之间
The Oppenheimer situation highlights the tension
剑拔弩张的关系
between scientists and the security apparatus.
希望能了解提名人在任职期原子能委员会期间
In hopes of learning how the nominee handled such issues
是如何处理这些问题的
during his time at the AEC,
我们将有一个科学家在委员会前作证
we’ll have a scientist appearing before the committee.
他们请的是谁?
Who are they bringing in?
他们没说
They hadn’t said.
主席先生 有个问题 我被提名为商♥务♥部♥长
Mr. Chairman, if I may, I’m nominated for Commerce Secretary.
为何要征求科学家的意见?
Why seek the opinion of scientists?
这是内阁职位 将军
This is a cabinet post, Admiral.
我们广泛征求各种意见
We seek a wide range of opinion.
我想知道作证的科学家是谁
I’d like to know the name of the scientist testifying.
我希望有机会交叉询问
I’d like the chance to cross-examine.
这里不是法庭
This is not a court.
例行公事 嗯?
Formality, huh?
自1925年以来 没有一位总统内阁提名人未经国会确认
No presidential cabinet nominee has failed to be confirmed since 1925.
这就是政♥治♥的游戏规则
This is just how the game is played.
十拿九稳 刘易斯 所以放轻松
It’s in the bag, Lewis. So play nice.
他们带来了一个科学家 那又怎样?
They bring in a scientist, so what?
你不像我这么了解科学家 律师先生
You don’t know scientists like I do, Counselor.
他们憎恨任何质疑他们判断力的人
They resent anyone who questions their judgment,
特别是当你不是他们中一员的时候
especially if you’re not one of them.
我曾担任原子能委员会主席
I was chair of the AEC.
罗伯特的事很容易怪罪到我头上
I’m easy to blame for what happened to Robert.
我们不能让参议院认为
We can’t have the Senate thinking
科学界不支持你 先生
the scientific community doesn’t support you, sir.
或者我们应该转向?
Or should we pivot?
-什么?
-豁出去
-To what?
-And embrace it.
“我打败了奥本海默 美国赢了”
“I fought Oppenheimer, and the US won.”
我觉得我们没必要这么做
I don’t think we need to go there.
难道就没有人知道到底发生了什么吗?
Isn’t there someone we can call who knows what really happened?
-泰勒
-他会留下深刻印象的
-Teller.
-He’ll make an impression.
你能知道他们找的那个科学家的名字吗?
Can you get the name of the scientist they’ve called?
-试试看
-查查他是否住在芝加哥
-Probably.
-Find out if he was based in Chicago
或者战争时期在洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
or Los Alamos during the war.
这很重要吗?
Why does that matter?
如果他常住芝加哥 那就是西拉德和费米手下的人
Well, if he was based in Chicago, they worked under Szilard and Fermi,
不是洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯那帮奥比的狂热崇拜者
not the cult to Bobby in Los Alamos.
罗伯特建造了那个鬼地方 他是创始人 市长 警长
Robert built that damn place. He was founder, mayor, sheriff.
统统集于一身
All rolled into one.
万事俱备 只欠酒吧
Now all it needs is a saloon.
没有厨房♥
There’s no kitchen.
真的吗? 我们会解决的
Really? We’ll fix that.
铁丝网? 枪?
Barbed wire? Guns?
-奥比……
-我们在打仗 汉斯
-Oppie…
-We’re at war, Hans.
哈利法克斯
Halifax.
1917年
1917.
一艘载有军♥火♥的货船在港口发生爆♥炸♥
A cargo ship carrying munitions explodes in the harbor.
一次巨大而突然的化学反应
A vast and sudden chemical reaction.
这是史上最大的人为爆♥炸♥
The biggest man-made explosion in history.
现在 让我们计算一下它的破坏力有多大
Now, let’s calculate how much more destructive it would have been
如果这是核反应而不是化学反应
if it were a nuclear and not a chemical reaction,
以吨♥TNT来表示能量
expressing power in terms of tons of TNT.
但会是上千级别
But it will be thousands.
那就 千吨♥
Well, then, kilotons.
使用U-235
Using U-235,
-原♥子♥弹♥需要一……
-呃……
the bomb will need a…
-Uh…
抱歉 装置需要一个33磅重的球体
Sorry. Gadget will need a 33-pound sphere
大概这么大
about this size,
或者使用钚 一个十磅重的球体
or using plutonium, a ten-pound sphere.
这是橡树岭上个月提炼的铀的总量
Here’s the amount of uranium Oak Ridge refined all of last month.
而汉福德工厂生产了这么多钚
And the Hanford plant made this much plutonium.
现在 如果我们能浓缩这些数量 我们需要一种方法来引爆它们
Now, if we can enrich these amounts, we need a way to detonate them.
我们让你无聊了吗 爱德华?
Are we boring you, Edward?
有一点 是的
A little bit, yes.
我能问问为什么吗?
May I ask why?
我们走进这个房♥间时 都知道制♥造♥裂变炸♥弹♥是可能的
We all entered this room knowing a fission bomb was possible.
不如我们换个新点子吧?
How about we leave it with something new?
比如?
Such as?
我们用氢代替铀或钚
Instead of uranium or plutonium, we use hydrogen.
重氢 氘
Heavy hydrogen. Deuterium.
你看 我们把原子压缩在一起
You see, we compact the atoms together
在巨大的压力之下引发聚变反应
under great pressure to induce a fusion reaction.
然后我们得到的不是千吨♥级 而是百万吨♥级当量
Then we’ll get not kilotons, but megatons.
没事 等等 等等
Okay, hang on, hang on.
那么如何产生足够的能量来聚合氢原子呢?
So how do you generate enough force to fuse hydrogen atoms?
一颗小型原♥子♥弹♥
A small fission bomb.
这不一样吗!
There we are!
好吧 既然我们无论如何都需要一个
Well, since we’re going to need one anyway,
我们能回到正题上来吗?
can we get back to the business at hand?
同位素问题不是最重要的
The isotopes issue wasn’t your most important
与奥本海默博士的政策分歧