奥本海默博士
Dr. Oppenheimer.
我是格罗夫斯上校 这位是尼科尔斯中校
I’m Colonel Groves. This is Lieutenant Colonel Nichols.
拿去干洗
Have that dry cleaned.
如果你就是这样对待一位中校的话
Well, if that’s how you treat a lieutenant colonel,
我不敢想象你会怎么对待一个……普通的物理学家
I’d hate to see how you treat a… humble physicist.
我遇到的物理学家都不普通
If I ever meet one, I’ll let you know.
-啊哈
-全世界都在打仗
-Ouch.
-Theaters of combat all over the world,
可我不得不呆在华盛顿
but I have to stay in Washington.
-为什么?
-我建造了五角大楼
-Why?
-I built the Pentagon.
上头非常喜欢
The brass likes it so much,
所以让我接管了曼哈顿工程区
they made me take over the Manhattan Engineer District.
-那是什么?
-别耍聪明
-Which is?
-Don’t be a smartass.
你很清楚那是什么
You know damn well what it is.
你和全国一半的物理系都知道
You and half of every physics department across the country.
那就是首要问题
That’s problem number one.
我以为首要问题是确保足够的铀矿石
I thought problem number one would be securing enough uranium ore.
-1200吨♥ 在我接管的第一天购买♥♥的
-加工?
-1,200 tons, bought the day I took charge.
-Processing?
我刚刚在田纳西州橡树岭破土动工
Just broke ground at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
现在我正在寻找一个项目主管
Now I’m looking for a project director.
然后你想到了我?
And my name came up?
不是的
Nope.
尽管你把量子物理带到了美国 这引起了我对你的好奇心
Even though you brought quantum physics to America, which made me curious.
你发现了什么?
What have you found out?
你是个半吊子 花♥花♥公♥子♥ 被怀疑是共♥产♥主义者
You’re a dilettante, a womanizer, a suspected communist.
-我是新政民♥主♥党人
-我说的是“被怀疑”
-I’m a New Deal Democrat.
-I said “suspected”.
不稳定 戏剧化 自我中心 神经质
Unstable, theatrical, egotistical, neurotic.
没有好的吗?
Nothing good, no?
连“他很聪明,但……”都没有
Not even “he’s brilliant, but…”
在你的圈子里 聪明是必须的 所以 没有
Well, brilliance is taken for granted in your circle, so no.
只有一个人说了好话——理查德·托尔曼
No, the only person who had anything good to say was Richard Tolman.
他认为你很正直
Tolman thinks you have integrity,
但托尔曼给我的感觉是他更了解科学,而不是人
but he also strikes me as a guy who knows more about science than people.
可你还是来了
Yet here you are.
你不太相信别人
You don’t take much on trust.
我不相信任何人
I don’t take anything on trust.
为什么你没有拿诺贝尔奖?
Why don’t you have a Nobel Prize?
-为什么你不是将军?
-也许完成项目后 会晋升我为将军
-Why aren’t you a general?
-They’re making me one for this.
也许我会有同样的好运
Perhaps I’ll have the same luck.
因为制♥造♥炸♥弹♥获得诺贝尔奖?
The Nobel Prize for making a bomb?
阿尔弗雷德·诺贝尔发明了炸♥药♥
Alfred Nobel invented dynamite.
那你打算怎么造?
So how would you proceed?
你说的是把理论变成实用的武器系统
You’re talking about turning theory into a practical weapon system
赶在纳粹前头
-他们领先我们12个月
faster than the Nazis.
-Who have a 12-month head start.
-你怎么知道的?
-18.
-How could you possibly know that?
我们的快中子研究花了六个月
Our fast neutron research took six months.
毫无疑问 他们任命的负责人能不费吹灰之力搞定
The man they’ve undoubtedly put in charge will have made that leap instantly.
-你以为他们让谁负责?
-维尔纳·海森堡
-Who do you think they put in charge?
-Werner Heisenberg.
他对原子结构有着我所见过的最直观的理解
He has the most intuitive understanding of atomic structure I have ever seen.
-你了解他的工作?
-我了解他
-You know his work?
-I know him,
就像我了解沃尔特·波特 冯·魏茨萨克 迪布纳一样
just like I know Walther Bothe, von Weizsäcker, Diebner.
在直道比赛中 德国人赢了
In a straight race, the Germans win.
-我们只有一个希望
-是什么?
-We’ve got one hope.
-Which is?
反犹主义
Antisemitism.
什么?
What?
希♥特♥勒♥称量子物理学为“犹太科学”
Hitler called quantum physics “Jewish science”.
当着爱因斯坦的面说的
Said it right to Einstein’s face.
我们唯一的希望是希♥特♥勒♥被仇恨蒙蔽了双眼
Our one hope is that Hitler is so blinded by hate
没有为海森堡提供适当的资源
that he’s denied Heisenberg proper resources,
因为这将需要大量的资源
because it’ll take vast resources.
我们国家最优秀的科学家 如果能团结合作——现在他们还分散在各处
Our nation’s best scientists working together. Right now, they’re scattered.
我们称之为分隔化管理
Which gives us compartmentalization.
所有人必须共享信息才能有效地做出贡献
All minds have to see the whole task to contribute efficiently.
过度的安全性可能会让我们输掉这场竞赛
Poor security may cost us the race.
低效率也会
Inefficiency will.
不管怎样 德国人比我们知道得更多
The Germans know more than us anyway.
俄♥国♥人不知道
The Russians don’t.
提醒一下 我们正在与谁交战?
Remind me, who are we at war with?
有你这样过去的人不该被人看到轻视
Somebody with your past doesn’t want to be seen downplaying
来自我们共♥产♥主义盟友的安全的重要性
the importance of security from our communist allies.
你说得对 但不是这个问题
Point taken, but… no.
你不可以对我说“不”
You don’t get to say no to me.
我的工作就是在你错误时对你说“不”
It’s my job to say no to you when you’re wrong.
所以你现在得到这份工作了?
So you have the job now?
噢 我还在考虑
Uh, I’m considering it.
我开始明白你是怎么获得你的声誉的了
I’m starting to see where you got your reputation.
我最喜欢的回答是
My favorite response:
“奥本海默甚至不能经营一个汉堡摊”
“Oppenheimer couldn’t run a hamburger stand.”
我做不到
I couldn’t.
但我可以负责曼哈顿计划
But I can run the Manhattan Project.
有个办法可以平衡这些东西
There’s a way to balance these things.
把放射实验室留在伯克利 由劳伦斯领导
Keep the Rad Lab here at Berkeley, under Lawrence.
芝加哥的气象实验室 由西拉德领导
Met Lab in Chicago, under Szilard.
大型炼油厂 你说哪里来着 田纳西?
Large-scale refining, where did you say, Tennessee?
-还有汉福德
-还有汉福德
-And Hanford.
-And Hanford.
美国所有的工业力量和科技创新
All America’s industrial-minded scientific innovation,
通过铁路连接 集中于一个目标
connected by rail, focused on one goal,
时空中的一点
one point in space and time.
它们聚集在这里 一个秘密实验室
And it comes together here, a secret laboratory.
位于荒野中心 安全 自给自足
In the middle of nowhere, secure, self-sufficient.
设备 房♥屋 工程
Equipment, housing, the works.
完成之前任何人都不准离开
Keep everyone there until it’s done.
-我们需要学校 商店 教堂
-为什么?
-We’ll need a school, stores, a church.
-Why?
如果不让他们带家属 我们永远请不到最好的科学家
If we don’t let scientists bring their families, we’ll never get the best.
你想要安全 就建一个小镇 越快越好
You want security, build a town. Build it fast.
在哪儿?
Where?
欢迎来到洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
Welcome to Los Alamos.
我们要征用一所男子学校
There’s a boys’ school we’ll have to commandeer,
当地的印第安人来这里举♥行♥葬礼
and the local Indians come up here for burial rites,
但除此之外 方圆40英里
but apart from that, nothing.
一无所有
40 miles. Any direction.
我们得找个好地方
We’ll have to find the perfect spot.
-为什么?
-为了成功
-For?
-Success.
给他建个小镇 要快
Build him a town. Fast.
我们去招募一些科学家
Let’s go recruit some scientists.
我为什么要离开我的家人?
Why would I leave my family?
我说过了 你可以带家属
I told you, you can bring your family.
-我不是士兵 奥比
-士兵?
-I’m not a soldier, Oppie.
-A soldier?
他是个将军 我想要多少士兵都行
He’s a general. I’ve got all the soldier I need.
我怎么跟他们说?
What can I tell them?
海森堡 迪布纳 波尔 这些人有什么共同点?
Heisenberg, Diebner, Bothe and Bohr. What do these men have in common?
-嗯 原子理论最伟大的头脑
-是的 然后呢?
-Uh, the greatest minds on atomic theory.
-Yes, and?
随你怎么说
As much as you like.
有事的话我会用鞋子踹你裤裆
Until you feel my boot on your balls.
你了解同位素 你比世界上任何人都了解炸♥药♥
You know isotopes, and you know explosives better than anyone in the world.
但你不能告诉我们你在做什么