Oh, thank you.
罗伯特说他不是共♥产♥党员
Robert here says he’s not a communist.
那是他还不够了解共♥产♥党
Well, then he doesn’t know enough about it.
噢 我读过《资本论》全部三卷
Oh, I’ve read Das Kapital, all three volumes.
这算吗?
Does that count?
这只能证明你比大多数党员更博览群书
It would make you better-read than most party members.
枯燥乏味 有一些想法 嗯……
Turgid stuff. There’s some thinking, um…
“所有权就是盗窃”
“Ownership is theft.”
-财产
-财产?
-Property.
-Property?
是财产 不是所有权
Property, not ownership.
抱歉 我读的是德文原版
I’m sorry, I read it in the original German.
这与书无关 关乎想法
It’s not about the book. It’s about the ideas.
而且你听起来有点轻蔑
And you sound uncommitted.
我致力于自♥由♥思考如何改善我们的世界
I’m committed to thinking freely about how to improve our world.
为什么要把自己限制在一个教条之内?
Why limit yourself to one dogma?
你是个物理学家 你会选择规则吗?
You’re a physicist. Do you pick and choose rules?
或者你用纪律来引导你的能量取得进步?
Or do you use the discipline to channel your energies into progress?
我喜欢有点回旋余地
I like a little wiggle room.
你总是遵守党的路线吗?
Do you always toe the party line?
我也喜欢我的回旋余地
I like my wiggle room, too.
怎么了?
What?
等等 等等
Wait, wait, wait.
出乎意料
Unexpected.
什么?
What?
对一个物理学家来说
For a physicist.
你书架上只有弗洛伊德的书吗?
You only have a shelf full of Freud?
-事实上 我的学术背景是……
-荣格?
-Well, actually, my background’s more…
-Jungian?
你懂精神分♥析♥学?
You know analysis?
当我在剑桥读研究生时 遇到一点小麻烦
When I was in post-grad at Cambridge, I had a little trouble.
-有意思
-我想毒死我的导师
-I’ll bite.
-I tried to poison my tutor.
-你恨他吗?
-我很喜欢他
-Did you hate him?
-I liked him very much.
你只是需要滚床单
You just needed to get laid.
我的精神分♥析♥师花了两年时间
It took my analysts two years,
我觉得他们从来没有像你说得那么简洁
and I don’t think they ever put it that succinctly.
你让所有人都相信你比实际上更复杂
You have everyone convinced you’re more complicated than you actually are.
我想我们都是单纯的灵魂
We’re all simple souls, I guess.
我不是
I’m not.
这是什么?
What’s this?
梵文
Sanskrit.
你能看懂这个?
You can read this?
我在学习
I’m learning.
读一读
Read this.
嗯 这一段说的是
Well, in this part,
-毗湿奴展示了他千臂的自我……
-不
-Vishnu reveals his multi-armed self…
-No.
读文字
Read the words.
“现在我成了死神……
“And now I am become Death…
“世界的毁灭者”
“destroyer of worlds.”
就这吧
This’ll do.
天亮前会好的
It’ll break before dawn.
冷空气持续一整夜
Air cools overnight.
当黎明到来 就会转晴
Just before dawn, it breaks.
听我说 我要结婚了
Well, so, I’m getting married.
法兰克! 恭喜你!
谢谢 谢谢
-Frank! congratulations!
-Thank you, thank you.
-和杰姬?
-对 杰姬
-To Jackie?
-Yeah, to Jackie.
-那个服务员?
-奥比 你说得对 暖和些了
-The waitress?
-Oppie, you’re right. It’s letting up.
我去看看有没有星星
I’m gonna go see if there’s any stars.
你口口声声普通人 却嫌杰姬不好 对吧?
All your talk about the common man, but Jackie’s not good enough for you, hmm?
我们加入共♥产♥党 你无法掩饰你的失望
We joined the party, and you can’t hide your disappointment.
为什么? 是因为我们抢在你前头吗?
Why? Is that because that’s supposed to be your thing?
我没加入共♥产♥党 弗兰克
I haven’t joined the party, Frank.
我觉得她也不应该说服你
And I don’t think she should have convinced you to either.
-一半的教员是共♥产♥主义者
-我们不是那一半
-Half of the faculty is communist.
-Not that half.
我是你哥哥 弗兰克 我希望你小心点
I’m your brother, Frank, and I want you to be cautious.
我想拧断你的脖子
And I want to wring your neck.
我不会生活在害怕犯错的恐惧中
I won’t live my life afraid to make a mistake.
你开心 我就开心
You’re happy… I’m happy.
所以我开心着你开心我的开心
So then I’m happy you’re happy that I’m happy.
我觉得我能看到你正在研究的那些暗星
I feel like I can see one of those dark stars that you’re working on.
看不到
You can’t.
这就是重点 它们的引力会吞噬光线
That’s the whole point. Their gravity swallows light.
仿佛太空中的一个洞
It’s like a kind of hole in space.
弗兰克还好吗?
Is Frank okay?
是的 他只是有个糟糕的哥哥
Yes. He just has a shitty brother.
这里很特别
It is special here.
我小时候
When I was a kid…
我想如果我能找到一种办法
I thought if I could find a way…
把物理学和新墨西哥州结合起来
to combine physics and New Mexico,
我的生活将会很完美
my life would be perfect.
-遥不可及
-是啊
-Little remote for that.
-Yes.
我们去睡觉吧
Let’s get some sleep.
我们今天看到的那个平顶山 是我最喜欢的地方之一
That mesa we saw today, one of my favorite places in the world.
-明天我们爬上去
-叫什么?
-Tomorrow we’ll climb it.
-What’s it called?
洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
Los Alamos.
没想到今天能见到你
I didn’t expect to see you today.
我需要预约吗?
Do I have to make an appointment?
阿尔瓦雷斯?
Alvarez?
奥比! 奥比!
Oppie! Oppie!
怎么了?出什么事了
What? What is it?
他们做到了
They’ve done it.
他们做到了 哈恩和斯特拉斯曼 在德国
They’ve done it. Hahn and Strassmann in Germany.
他们分♥裂♥了铀原子核
They split the uranium nucleus.
怎么做?
How?
用中子轰击它
Bombard it with neutrons.
这是核裂变
It’s a nuclear fission.
他们做到了 他们分♥裂♥了原子
They did it. They split the atom.
这不可能
That’s not possible.
我试试重现它
I’m gonna try to reproduce it.
看到没 做不到
See? Can’t be done.
很优雅
Very elegant.
很清晰
Quite clear.
只有一个问题
There’s just one problem.
哪儿?
Where?
隔壁
Next door.
阿尔瓦雷斯做到了
Alvarez did it.

And look.
这些裂变脉冲 非常巨大
These fission pulses, they’re massive.
过去十分钟我已经看30个了
I’ve seen 30 of these in the past ten minutes.
理论总是灰色的
Theory will take you only so far.
在这个过程中……
During the process…
额外的中子蒸发掉 可以用来
extra neutrons boil off, which could be used
分♥裂♥其他铀原子
to split other uranium atoms.
产生连锁反应
Chain reaction.
你和我想的一样
You’re thinking what I’m thinking.
你 我 还有世界上所有看到新闻的物理学家
You, me, and every other physicist around the world who’s seen the news.
我刚刚……等等 我们是不是想到一块了?
I just… what, what are we all thinking?
原♥子♥弹♥ 阿尔瓦雷斯
A bomb, Alvarez.
原♥子♥弹♥
A bomb.
我告诉过你 罗伯特 别再送花了
I told you, Robert, no more fucking flowers.
我不明白你想从我这里得到什么
我不要你的任何东西!
-I don’t understand what you want from me.