-I asked for it.
想接近你们这些实验物理学家
Wanted to be close to you experimentalists.
理论总是灰色的
Theory will get you only so far.
我们正在建造一台电子加速器
We’re building a machine to accelerate electrons.
太神奇了
Magnificent.
你愿意帮忙吗?
Would you like to help?
建造? 哦 不 不 不
Build it? Oh, no. No, no.
但我正在研究一些理论 我想用它来检验一下
But I am working on theories I’d like to test with it.
你什么时候开始教书?
When do you start teaching?
一个小时后就开始第一个
I’ve got my first in an hour.
-研讨会?
-学生
-Seminar?
-Pupil.
一个学生? 就一个?
One student? That’s it?
我在教一些这里没有人梦想过的东西
I’m teaching something no one here has dreamt of.
但一旦人们开始听说你能用它做什么……
But once people start hearing what you can do with it…
就回不去了
There’s no going back.
-哦 我一定走错……
-洛曼尼茨先生?
-Oh, I must have missed the…
-Mr. Lomanitz?
-是我
-是的 就是这里
-Yeah.
-Yes, this is it.
请坐
Please, take a seat.
你对量子力学了解多少?
What do you know about quantum mechanics?
只知道些皮毛
I have a grasp on the basics.
那你就错了
Then you’re doing it wrong.
生命是由粒子还是波组成的?
Is life made up of particles or waves?
量子力学说两者都是 怎么可能两者都是?
Quantum mechanics says it’s both. How can it be both?
-不可能
-不可能
-It can’t.
-It can’t.
但事实如此
But it is.
这是矛盾的 但是 很有用
It’s paradoxical, and yet, it works.
谢谢
Thank you.
洛曼尼茨先生 你会没事的
Mr. Lomanitz. You’re gonna be okay.
斯奈德先生
Mr. Snyder.
现在 让我们谈一谈星星
Now, let’s consider a star.
一颗恒星 就像一个在外太空燃烧的巨大熔炉
A star, a vast furnace burning in outer space,
火焰克服自身重力向外推进 保持平衡
fire pushing outwards against its own gravity, balanced.
但一旦炉子冷却了
But if that furnace cools,
重力开始占上风 它就会收缩
and gravity starts winning, it contracts.
-密度增加
-正确
-Density increases.
-Correct.
-重力增加
-密度增加
-Increasing gravity.
-Increasing density.
-然后呢?
-这是一个恶性循环 直到……
-And?
-It’s a vicious cycle until…
循环的尽头是什么?
What’s the limit here?
我不知道 看看数学怎么说
I don’t know. See where the math takes us.
我保证那是我们之前没人去过的地方
I guarantee it’s somewhere no one’s been before us.
我?
Me?
是的 你 你的数学比我好
Yes, you. Your math is better than mine.
在奥本海默博士的档案里
Dr. Oppenheimer’s file contained details
有他在伯克利活动的详细信息
of his activities at Berkeley.
为什么他们会在战前就开始调查奥本海默博士?
Why would they have started a file on Dr. Oppenheimer before the war?
那你得问胡佛先生了
Well, you’d have to ask Mr. Hoover.
我在问你 施特劳斯将军
I’m asking you, Admiral Strauss.
嗯 我猜测
Uh, my assumption
是和他的 呃
is that it was connected to his, uh,
左翼政♥治♥活动有关
left-wing political activities.
你不应该让他们在课堂上谈论政♥治♥ 奥比
You shouldn’t let them bring their politics in the classroom, Oppie.
这是我写的
I wrote that.
劳伦斯 你接受物理学上的革命
Lawrence, you embraced the revolution in physics.
其他方面的革命你看不到吗?
Can’t you see it everywhere else?
毕加索 斯特拉文斯基 弗洛伊德 马♥克♥思♥
Picasso, Stravinsky, Freud, Marx.
这里是美国 我们有自己的革命
Well, this is America, Oppie. We had our revolution.
说真的 别带它进实验室
Seriously, keep it out of the lab.
好吧 出了实验室
Well, out of the lab
我的女房♥东今晚有个讨论会
my landlady is having a discussion group tonight.
有兴趣吗?
Interested?
我参加过一些伯克利的政♥治♥聚会
I have sampled the Berkeley political scene.
都是些哲学研究生和共♥产♥主义者在高谈阔论团结
It’s all just philosophy post-grads and communists talking integration.
你不在乎团结吗?
You don’t care about integration?
我想投票赞成 不想谈论它
I want to vote for it, not talk about it.
特别是在星期五 来吧 我们吃饭
Especially on a Friday. Come on, let’s eat.
我要去那里见我弟弟
I’m meeting my brother there.
这些活动怎么会引起联邦调查局的注意?
And how would these activities have come to the attention of the FBI?
如果我没记错的话,
Well, if I remember correctly,
联邦调查局在可疑的共♥产♥主义集♥会♥外拍摄车牌
the FBI was taking license plates outside suspected communist gatherings,
然后他的名字出现了
and his name popped up.
-吓我一跳!
-对不起
-Jesus Christ!
-Sorry.
弗兰克!
Frank!
-还记得杰姬吗?
-晚上好
-Uh, you remember Jackie?
-Evening.
罗伯特! 我想让你见见薛瓦利埃
Robert! I want you to meet Chevalier.
哈康·薛瓦利埃博士 罗伯特·奥本海默博士
Dr. Haakon Chevalier, Dr. Robert Oppenheimer.
-幸会
-幸会
-Pleasure.
-Pleasure.
这是我弟弟 弗兰克
This is my little brother, Frank.
-这位是……
-斯蒂尔·杰姬
-And this is…
-Still Jackie.
你好 斯蒂尔·杰姬
Hello, Still Jackie.
-薛瓦利埃 你是语言学家?
-久仰大名
-Chevalier, you’re in languages?
-And your reputation precedes you.
你听说了什么?
What have you heard?
你在教授一种全新的物理学
That you’re teaching a radical new approach to physics
我无法理解 听说你还不是党员
I have no chance of understanding, but I haven’t heard you’re a party member.
-我没有入党
-是 还没有入党
-Uh, I’m not.
-Oh, not yet.
弗兰克和我想入党
Frank and I are thinking of joining.
-前几天我还在说……
-我支持许多事业
-Just the other day I was saying…
-I support a range of causes.
西班牙内战?
Spanish Civil War?
一个被法♥西♥斯♥暴徒推♥翻♥的民♥主♥共和国
A democratic republic being overthrown by fascist thugs.
-谁不支持呢?
-我们的政♥府♥
-Who wouldn’t?
-Our government.
他们认为社♥会♥主♥义♥比法♥西♥斯♥主义更具威胁性
They think that socialism is a bigger threat than fascism.
不会太久的 看看纳粹是怎么对待犹太人的
Not for long. Look at what the Nazis are doing to the Jews.
我有捐钱给德国的同行 资助他们移♥民♥
I send funds to colleagues in Germany to emigrate.
我得做点什么
I have to do something.
我自己的工作太……抽象了
My own work is so… abstract.
你在忙什么呢?
What are you working on?
星星死后会发生什么?
What happens to stars when they die?
星星会死吗?
Do stars die?
嗯 这么说 它们会冷却 然后坍塌
Well, if they do, they’d cool, then collapse.
事实上 星星越大
In fact, the bigger the star,
它的灭亡就越激烈
the more violent its demise.
它们的引力非常集中 吞噬了一切
Their gravity gets so concentrated, it swallows everything.
一切 包括光线
Everything, even light.
-真的会这样吗?
-数学表明可以
-Can that really happen?
-The math says it can.
如果我们能出版 也许哪天天文学家能发现一颗
If we can get published, then perhaps one day an astronomer finds one.
但现在 我只有理论
But right now, all I have is theory,
不会影响人们的生活
which can’t impact people’s lives.
如果你要往西班牙捐钱
Well, if you’re going to send money to Spain,
通过共♥产♥党做这件事
do it through the Communist Party.
他们可以直接送钱到前线
They can get it to the front lines.
玛丽让我送来的
Mary sent me with these.
-我叫琼
-罗伯特
-I’m Jean.
-Robert.
哈康·薛瓦利埃 上个月在塞伯尔的工会会议
Haakon Chevalier. That union meeting at Serber’s last month.
对 对 是的
Right, right, yes.
哦 谢谢