Thank you, General.
-好吧 我们不能让他们等太久
-她会来的
-Okay. We shouldn’t keep them waiting.
-She’ll be here.
你真心希望她作证吗?
Do you even want her here?
只有傻瓜或青少年才会自以为
Only a fool or an adolescent presumes
知道别人的关系 而你两者都不是 劳埃德
to know someone else’s relationship, and you’re neither, Lloyd.
凯蒂和我都是成年人
Kitty and I are grown-ups.
我们一起走过风风雨雨
We’ve walked through fire together.
她会成功的
She’ll do fine.
你对共♥产♥主义的看法是支持 反对 还是中立?
Would you describe your views on communism as pro, anti, neutral?
强烈反对
Very strongly against.
我和共♥产♥主义没有任何关系 自从……
I’ve had nothing to do with communism in, since…
自从1936年 自从……
since 1936. Since…
从我认识罗伯特之前
Since before I met Robert.
就这样
That’s all.
记录显示奥本海默没有受到为格雷委员会工作的
The record demonstrates that Oppenheimer was not interrogated
公正无私的律师的审问
by impartial and disinterested counsel for the Gray Board.
他受到一位具有律师背景的检察官的审问
He was interrogated by a prosecutor who used
后者施展浑身解数
all the tricks of a rather ingenious legal background.
你现在是在指控格雷委员会允许起诉
You are charging now that the Gray Board permitted a prosecution.
如果我站在格雷委员会面前
If I were on the Gray Board,
我会抗♥议♥这种策略
I would have protested against the tactics
有人实际上担任了检察官的职务
of the man who served in fact as the prosecuting counsel.
一个不是委员会任命的人
A man appointed not by the Board,
而是刘易斯·施特劳斯任命的
but by Lewis Strauss.
这人是谁?
Who was this?
什么?
I’m sorry?
他是谁?
Who was this?
罗杰・罗伯
Roger Robb.
奥本海默夫人
Mrs. Oppenheimer.
你有共♥产♥党员证吗?
Did you have a Communist Party membership card?
我……我不确定
I’m… I’m not sure.
不确定?
Not sure?
嗯……
Well…
什么?
Well?
我是说 大概 要加入共♥产♥党
I mean, presumably, the act of joining the party
需要寄一些钱和收到一张卡片 对吗?
required sending some money and receiving a card, no?
对不起
Sorry.
是的
Yes.
只是 那都是很久以前的事了 罗伯先生 不是吗?
It’s just, it was all so very long ago, Mr. Robb, wasn’t it?
-说实话
-久到我都忘了
-Not really.
-Long enough to have forgotten.
-你是把卡退了还是撕了?
-那张我已经忘记存在的卡?
-Did you return the card, or rip it up?
-The card whose existence I’ve forgotten?
-你的共♥产♥党员证?
-一点印象也没有
-Your Communist Party membership card?
-Haven’t the slightest idea.
苏联共♥产♥主义和共♥产♥主义能区分开来吗?
Can a distinction be made between Soviet communism and communism?
嗯 当我还是党员的时候
Well, in the days when I was a member,
-我认为他们绝对是两回事
-哦?
-I thought they were definitely two things.
-Oh?
我认为美国共♥产♥党
I thought that the Communist Party of the United States
关心我们的国内问题 当然我现在不再相信这一点
was concerned with our domestic problems. I now no longer believe this.
我相信整个事情联♥系♥在一起而且遍布全世界
I believe the whole thing’s linked together and spread all over the world,
自从16年前我离开共♥产♥党 我就一直相信这一点
and I have believed this since I left the party 16 years ago.
-但……
-17年前 我错了
-But…
-17 years ago. My mistake.
-但是你……
-对不起 18
-But you…
-Sorry, 18.
18年前
18 years ago.
您是否知道您的丈夫早在1942年
Are you familiar with the fact your husband was making contributions
就一直支持西班牙内战?
to the Spanish Civil War as late as 1942?
我知道罗伯特有时会捐钱
I knew that Robert gave money from time to time.
你知道这些钱流入了共♥产♥党的渠道吗?
Did you know this money was going into Communist Party channels?
-你是说通过吗?
-什么?
-Don’t you mean through?
-Pardon?
我想你的意思是通过共♥产♥党的渠道 不是吗?
I think you mean through Communist Party channels, don’t you?
-是的
-是的?
-Yes.
-Yes?
-是的
-是的
-Yes.
-Yes.
那么公平地说 这是否意味着直到1942年
Then would it be fair to say that this meant that by 1942,
你丈夫并没有断绝和共♥产♥党的任何关系?
your husband had not stopped having anything to do with the Communist Party?
你不必回答是或不是 你可以随心所欲地回答
You don’t have to answer that yes or no, you can answer that any way you wish.
我知道 谢谢 这是你的问题
I know that, thank you. It’s your question.
措辞不当
It’s not properly phrased.
-你明白我的意思吗?
-我明白
-Do you understand what I’m getting at?
-I do.
-那你为什么不正面回答呢?
-因为我不喜欢你的用词
-Then why don’t you answer it that way?
-Because I don’t like your phrase,
“和共♥产♥党的任何关系”
“having anything to do with the Communist Party,”
因为罗伯特和共♥产♥党没有任何关系
because Robert never had anything to do with the Communist Party as such.
我知道他给西班牙难民捐钱
I know he gave money to Spanish refugees.
我知道他对共♥产♥主义思想感兴趣
I know he took an intellectual interest in communist ideas.
有两种共♥产♥主义者吗?
Are there two types of communists?
知识分子共♥产♥主义者 还有你们这些普通的老♥共♥♥产♥主义者?
Intellectual communists, and your plain old regular commie?
这个我回答不上
Well, I couldn’t answer that one.
我也不能
I couldn’t either.
晚上好
Good evening.
罗伯特 你赢不了的
Robert, you can’t win this thing.
这是一个预先设定好结果的袋鼠法庭
It’s a kangaroo court with a predetermined outcome.
为什么要让自己经历这么多?
Why put yourself through more of it?
我有我的理由
I have my reasons.
好吧
Alright.
晚安
Good night.
他说的有道理
He has a point.
-我不确定你是否明白 阿尔伯特
-不?
-I’m not sure you understand, Albert.
-No?
我离开了我的国家 再也没有回去
I left my country, never to return.
你为国家贡献那么大
You served your country well.
如果这就是她给你的奖励 那么……
If this is the reward she offers you, then…
也许你应该背弃她
perhaps you should turn your back on her.
该死的是我偏偏爱着这个国家
Damn it, I happen to love this country.
那就让他们见鬼去吧
Then tell them to go to hell.
有趣的是 这不再是一个确认听证会
Interestingly enough, this is no longer a confirmation hearing.
现在是一场……
It’s now a trial…
关于审判的审判!
about a trial!
看在上帝份上!
For god’s sakes!
他告诉所有人是你发起的听证会可不是什么好事
It’s not good he’s telling everyone you initiated the hearings.
他什么玩意也证明不了
He can’t prove a goddamn thing.
他当然无法证明我把文件交给了博登
He certainly can’t prove that I gave the file to Borden.
我们不是在法庭上 先生 没有举证责任
We’re not in court, sir. There’s no burden of proof.
对 他们没有定罪
Right, they’re not convicting.
他们只是在否认
They’re just denying.
希尔为什么要来这里拆我台 他有什么目的?
Why would Hill come here to tear me down? What’s his angle?
人们做正确的事需要理由吗?
Do people need a reason to do the right thing?
-正如他所看到的
-我告诉过你
-As he sees it.
-I told you.
奥本海默一直在蛊惑科学家反对我
Oppenheimer’s been poisoning the scientists against me
从第一次见面开始
right from that first meeting.
我不知道奥本海默那天对他说了什么
I don’t know what Oppenheimer said to him that day,
搞得爱因斯坦甚至都不愿意正眼瞧我
but Einstein wouldn’t even meet my eye.
奥本海默知道如何操纵自己的所有
Oppenheimer knows how to manipulate his own.
在洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
At Los Alamos,
他利用了天真的科学家
he preyed on the naivete of scientists
他们认为他们对我们如何使用他们的发明创造拥有发言权
who thought they get a say in how we use their work.
他们永远不会意识到自己有多么天真
They’ll never think he was that naive himself.
博士 你在研发氢弹的过程中
Doctor, during your work on the hydrogen bomb,
有没有……因为道德上的怀疑而退缩?
were you… deterred by any moral qualms?
有的 当然
Yes, of course.
但你仍然继续你的工作 不是吗?
But you still got on with your work, didn’t you?
是的 因为这是一项探索性的工作