We’re not convicting.
我们只是否认
We’re just denying.
你说的是什么?
What is it you said?
这就是政♥治♥的游戏规则
This is just how the game is played.
好吧 原谅我的天真
Well, forgive my naivete.
业余者寻找阳光 被吞掉
Amateurs seek the sun, get eaten.
权力只发生在阴影中
Power stays in the shadows.
但是 先生 你……你现在已经走出阴影了
But, sir, you’re… you’re out of the shadows now.
是啊 所以我们一定要成功
Yeah, that’s why this has to work.
好吧..
Well…
泰勒今天早上要出庭作证
Teller’s testifying this morning.
那会有帮助的 然后……
That’ll help. And then…
希尔在下午
Hill is in the afternoon.
希尔也会帮我们的
Hill is gonna help us too.
如你所见 罗伯特 还没有签字
As you can see, Robert, it’s not yet signed.
我可以保留这个吗?
不行
-May I keep this?
-No.
如果你决定上诉 他们会寄给你一份副本
If you do decide to appeal, then they’ll have to send you a copy.
你可以用我的车和司机 不必客气
Take my car and driver, I insist.
我得咨♥询♥我的律师 刘易斯
I’ll have to consult my lawyers, Lewis.
当然 但别太久
Of course. But don’t take too long.
我无法阻止尼科尔斯
I can’t keep Nichols at bay.
抱歉事情变成这样 罗伯特
I’m sorry it’s come to this, Robert.
我觉得这样不对
I think it’s wrong.
尼科尔斯希望我反击 这样他就能把一切都记录下来
Nichols wants me to fight, so he can get it all on the record.
施特劳斯想让我离开
Strauss wants me to walk away.
施特劳斯知道你不会这么做 你一定会接受指控
Strauss knows that you can’t do that. You’d be accepting the charges.
你会失去工作的
You’ll lose your job.
你会失去你的名誉 我们会失去我们的房♥子
You will lose your reputation. We’ll lose our house.
罗伯特 我们必须战斗
Robert, we have to fight.
作为原子能委员会的律师 我不能代表你
As AEC counsel, I can’t represent you.
我会给劳埃德·加里森打电♥话♥
I’ll call Lloyd Garrison.
噢 他很厉害
Oh, he’s good.
最好的 但我得警告你
The best, but I have to warn you.
这不是一场公平的战斗
This won’t be a fair fight.
1943年你与鲍里斯·帕什谈话时提到过缩微胶卷吗?
During your interview with Boris Pash in 1943, did you refer to microfilm?
-没有
-标签11 第一页 第三段
-No.
-Tab 11, page one, paragraph three.
你从没说过“领♥事♥馆♥的人 微缩胶卷的专家”?
You never said, “man of the consulate, expert in the use of microfilm”?
-对不起 对不起……
-没有
-I’m sorry, I’m sorry…
-No.
我想知道罗伯先生引用的是哪份文件,
I would like to know what document Mr. Robb is quoting from,
是否可以向我们提供一份副本
and if we might be furnished with a copy.
该文件属于机密 加里森先生
The document is classified, Mr. Garrison.
我认为我们应该采用第一手资料
I think we should get back to firsthand information.
这就是第一手资料
This is firsthand.
怎么说 罗杰?
How so, Roger?
有一段谈话的录音
There was a recording of the interview.
你让我的委托人坐在这里 并有可能作伪证
You let my client sit here and potentially perjure himself,
一直以来 你都有录音?
and all this time, you had a recording?
没人让你的委托人歪曲他之前的答案
Nobody told your client to misrepresent his former answers.
歪曲? 那是12年前的事了!
Misrepresent? It was 12 years ago!
我们可以听一下这段录音吗?
Can we hear this recording?
你没有权限 加里森先生
You don’t have the clearance, Mr. Garrison.
但你把它读到了记录里!
But you’re reading it into the record!
拜托 拜托 这个诉讼程序是为了诱捕还是探寻真♥相♥?
Please, please. Is this proceeding interested in entrapment or in truth?
如果是真♥相♥ 证据呢? 证人名单呢?
If it’s truth, where’s the disclosure? Where’s the witness list?
加里森先生 如你所知 这不是审判
Mr. Garrison, this isn’t a trial, as you are well aware.
证据规则不适用 我们在处理国♥家♥安♥全♥问题
Evidentiary rules do not apply. We are dealing with national security.
是的 长官 恕我直言,
Yes, sir, with all due respect,
我不明白国♥家♥安♥全♥如何能阻止检方
I fail to see how national security prevents the prosecution from
给我们提供一份证人名单!
-也许我们确实需要
providing us with a list of witnesses!
-Perhaps we are in need
暂时休庭
-先生们 我向你们保证
of a brief recess.
-Gentlemen. You have my words.
如果你说它们来自抄本 那我就接受
If you say they’re from a transcript, then I’ll accept it.
我已经解释过了 我编了一个荒唐可笑的故事
I’ve already explained I made up a cock-and-bull story.
为什么会有人编造这么复杂的故事呢?
And why would anyone make up such an elaborate story?
因为我是个傻瓜
Because I was an idiot.
为什么要撒谎?
Why lie?
嗯 显然是为了不暴露中间人的身份
Well, clearly with the intention of not revealing who the intermediary was.
你的朋友 哈康·薛瓦利埃 是共♥产♥党员
Your friend, Haakon Chevalier, the communist.
他还是你的朋友吗?
Is he still your friend?
是的
Yes.
拉比 博士 谢谢你能来
Dr. Rabi, thank you for coming.
你知道控方还传唤了谁吗?
You know who else the prosecution has called?
显然是泰勒 他们问过劳伦斯了
Teller, obviously. They’ve asked Lawrence.
-他说什么?
-他不会帮他们的
-What did he say?
-He wasn’t going to help them,
但是……
-但是?
but…
-But?
施特劳斯告诉他 你和露丝·托尔曼多年来一直有染
Strauss told him that you and Ruth Tolman had been having an affair for years.
你和他们一起住在帕萨迪纳的那段时间
The whole time you lived with them in Pasadena.
他让劳伦斯相信理查德死于伤心欲绝
He convinced Lawrence that Richard died of a broken heart.
-这太荒谬了
-哪部分?
-That’s absurd.
-What part?
伤心欲绝 理查德从未发现
A broken heart. Richard never found out.
劳伦斯会作证吗?
Is Lawrence gonna testify?
我不知道
I don’t know.
拉比博士 你目前在政♥府♥担任什么职务?
Dr. Rabi, what governmental positions do you currently hold?
我是原子能委员会顾问委员会主席
I am the chairman of the general advisory committee
接替奥本海默博士
to the AEC, succeeding Dr. Oppenheimer.
你认识奥本海默博士多久了?
And how long have you known Dr. Oppenheimer?
从1928年开始 我……我很了解他
Since 1928. I… I know him quite well.
足以说明他的忠诚和品格了吗?
Well enough to speak to the bearing of his loyalty and character?
奥本海默博士是一个品格正直的人
Dr. Oppenheimer is a man of upstanding character.
他忠于美国 忠于他的朋友
And he is loyal to the United States, to his friends,
忠于他所属的机构
to the institutions of which he is part.
吃吧
Eat.
那是谁?
Who was that?
不用担心
Nothing to worry about.
俄♥国♥原♥子♥弹♥试验后
After the Russian A-bomb test,
劳伦斯博士来找你是为了谈氢弹的事吗?
did Dr. Lawrence come to see you about the hydrogen bomb?
你最好去问他
You’d be better off asking him.
嗯 我正打算这么做
Well, I fully intend to.
你是否认为奥本海默博士坚决反对氢弹?
Would you say that Dr. Oppenheimer was unalterably opposed to the H-bomb?
不 他 他认为核聚变项目
No, he, he thought that a fusion program
将以牺牲我们非常好的核裂变项目为代价
would come at the expense of our awfully good fission program.
但事实证明并非如此
But that proved not to be the case.
在这种情况下 两者都可以做到
In the event, both could be done.
假设委员会不满意
Suppose that this board did not feel satisfied
奥本海默博士在他的证词中是完全属实的
that in his testimony here Dr. Oppenheimer had been wholly truthful,
你认为是否应该给他颁发安全许可?
what would you say whether or not he should be cleared?
为什么要这样对待一个男人
Why go through all this against a man
一个像奥本海默博士那样取得巨大成就的人
who has accomplished what Dr. Oppenheimer has?
看看他的记录
Look at his record.
我们有一颗原♥子♥弹♥ 和一系列的原♥子♥弹♥
We have an A-bomb, and a whole series of it.
我们还有一系列的氢弹 你还想要什么?
We have a whole series of super bombs. What more do you want?
美人鱼吗?
Mermaids?
但我认识施特劳斯部长很多年
But I’ve known Secretary Strauss for many years.
我觉得有必要肯定刘易斯
And I feel it a necessity to express the warm support
对科学和科学家的热情支持
for science and scientists Lewis has shown.
我们现在开始
We’ll break now.
-除非有什么紧急事务
-参议员 我想再次请求
-Unless there’s any immediate business.
-Senator, I’d like to once again request
我们已经准备好了一份证人的名单
that we’re furnished with a list of witnesses.
我会提醒被提名者
And I will remind the nominee
我们并不总是事先知道这些信息
that we don’t always have that information in advance.
我们知道希尔博士午饭后会来
We do know that Dr. Hill will be here after lunch.
主席先生 下一位证人 劳伦斯博士
Mr. Chairman, our next scheduled witness, Dr. Lawrence,
患有结肠炎来不了