Ah, I can relate to that.
-真的?
-是的 我父亲就是这样一个人
-Really?
-Yes, my father was one.
这将是你的办公室
And this would be your office.
我听说他大多数下午都在那里
I’m told he’s there in most afternoons.
我一直很好奇
You know, I’ve always wondered
你为什么不让他参与曼哈顿计划
why you didn’t involve him in the Manhattan Project.
他是我们时代最伟大的科学家
Greatest scientific mind of our time.
是他的时代
Of his time.
爱因斯坦发表相对论
Einstein published his Theory of Relativity
已经过去40多年了
more than 40 years ago now.
他永远不能接受已经揭示的量子世界
Could never embrace the quantum world it revealed.
“上帝不会掷骰子”
“God doesn’t play dice.”
正是如此
Precisely.
施特劳斯先生 你从没想过正式学习物理吗?
You never thought of studying physics formally, Mr. Strauss?
有人曾建议 但是……我选择卖♥♥鞋
I had offers, but… I chose to sell shoes.
谁能想到刘易斯·施特劳斯曾经是个卖♥♥鞋的
Lewis Strauss was once a lowly shoe salesman.
对 鞋子销♥售♥员
No, just a shoe salesman.
-我很乐意为你引见
-不必
-I’d love to introduce you.
-No need.
我认识他很多年了
I’ve known him for years.
阿尔伯特
Albert.
怎么回事? 你对他说什么了?
What was that? What did you say to him?
噢 没什么
Oh, he’s fine.
施特劳斯先生 我过去……有些事你应该知道的
Mr. Strauss, there are… things in my past you ought to be aware of.
噢 身为原子能委员会主席
Well, as chairman of the AEC,
我有权查阅你的安全档案
I have access to your security file. I’ve read it.
-你不担心吗?
-不
-You’re not worried?
-No.
你为国家付出这么多 我有什么好担心的?
Why would I be worried, after everything you’ve done for your country?
嗯 时代变了 施特劳斯先生
Well, times change, Mr. Strauss.
这个研究所的目的
Well, the purpose of this institute
是为独♥立♥思想提供避风港
is to provide a haven for independent minds.
就是你
That’s you.
你是这项工作的最佳人选
You are the man for the job.
好的 我会考虑的
Well, then I’ll consider it.
明天原子能委员会会议上见
I’ll see you at the AEC meeting tomorrow.
这是这个国家最受尊重的职位之一
This is one of the most prestigious appointments in the country.
是的 通勤也很棒
Yes, and a great commute.
所以我还在考虑
That’s why I’m considering it.
那么奥本海默博士有没有让你注意到他过去的事情
So Dr. Oppenheimer brought your attention to his past associations
在你任命他之前?
before you appointed him?
有的
Yes.
你不担心吗?
And they didn’t concern you?
当时 我满脑子都在想他究竟说了什么
Just then I was entirely consumed with what he must have said
让爱因斯坦对我大发雷霆
to Einstein to sour him on me.
那之后呢?
But later?
后来的事人人都知道了
Well, we all know what happened later.
博士 你在欧洲的那段时间
Doctor, your time in Europe,
似乎结识了很多其他国家的物理学家
you seem to meet with a wide range of other countries’ physicists.
是的 没错
Yes, that’s right.
有俄♥国♥人吗?
Any Russians?
一时想不起 如果你允许的话
None that spring to mind. If you’ll just allow me
我想先继续我的陈述……
-罗伯先生
to continue with my statement…
-Mr. Robb,
你会有足够的机会进行交叉询问的
you’ll have ample opportunity to cross-examine.
哥廷根之后 我去了荷兰的莱顿 在那里我第一次见到伊西多·拉比
After Göttingen, I moved on to Leiden, in Holland, where I first met Isidor Rabi.
不好意思
Excuse me.
一个美♥国♥佬♥ 开讲新物理学
A yank. Lecturing on the new physics.
这我必须听听
This I have to hear.
我也是美国人
I’m an American myself.
真令人惊讶
How surprising.
如果你需要英语翻译 随时效劳
Let me know if you need any help with the English.
等等 他说什么?
Wait, what’s he saying?
不用 谢谢
No, thank you.
去苏黎世还有很长的路
It’s a long way to Zurich.
如果你再瘦一点 可能就掉进座垫之间找不着了
If you get any skinnier, we’re gonna lose you between the seat cushions.
-我是拉比
-奥本海默
-I’m Rabi.
-Oppenheimer.
我听了你关于分子的讲座
I caught your lecture on molecules.
受益匪浅
Caught some of it.
我们都是纽约犹太人 你怎么会荷兰语的?
We’re a couple of New York Jews, how do you know Dutch?
即然这学期要来这里 我觉得最好还是学一下
Well, I thought I’d better learn it when I got here this semester.
你在六周内就学会了荷兰语来做一个量子力学的讲座吗?
You learned enough Dutch in six weeks to give a lecture on quantum mechanics?
我喜欢挑战自我
I like to challenge myself.
量子物理学还不够有挑战性
Quantum physics wasn’t challenging enough.
-凡尔赛(意第绪语)
-凡尔赛?
-Shvitzer?
-Shvitzer.
炫耀
Show-off.
六个星期就学会了荷兰语 但你从来没学过意第绪语
Dutch in six weeks, but you never learned Yiddish.
我那边的人不怎么说意第绪语
They don’t speak it so much my side of the park.
去你的
Screw you.
-想家吗?
-哦 你知道的
-You homesick?
-Oh, you know it.
有没有觉得我们这种人在这里不受欢迎?
Ever get the feeling our kind isn’t entirely welcome here?
物理学家?
Physicists?
-不开玩笑
-没有区别
-That’s funny.
-Not in the department.
物理学家都是犹太人
They’re all Jewish, too.
吃吧
Eat.
你得去找一个德国人
There’s this German you have to seek out.
-海森堡
-对
-Heisenberg.
-Right.
人们可能会推测 在量子世界背后
One might be led to the presumption that behind the quantum world
仍然隐藏着一个存在因果关系的真实世界
there still hides a real world in which causality holds,
但是这样的推测在我们看来 明确地说 是徒劳的
but such speculations seem to us, to say it explicitly, fruitless.
谢谢 祝大家愉快
Thank you. Have a great day.
-很捧
-谢谢
-Wonderful.
-Thank you.
-奥本海默博士
-奥本海默 是你!
-Dr. Oppenheimer.
-Oppenheimer, yes!
我喜欢你关于分子的论文
I liked your paper on molecules.
可能是因为你启发了它
Probably because you inspired it.
如果我启发了什么灵感 告诉我 我们可以一起做论文
If I inspire anything else, let me know. We could publish together.
-我必须回美国了
-为什么?
-I have to get back to America.
-Why?
那里没人把量子力学当回事
There’s no one there taking quantum mechanics seriously.
这就是原因
That’s exactly why.
他心系曼哈顿的峡谷
He’s pining for the canyons of Manhattan.
新墨西哥州的峡谷
Canyons of New Mexico.
你从新墨西哥州来?
不 纽约
-You’re from New Mexico?
-No, New York.
但我弟弟和我在圣达菲郊外有个农场
But my brother and I have a ranch outside Santa Fe.
那才是我魂牵梦萦的美国
That’s the America I miss right now.
那你们最好赶紧回家 牛仔们
Then it’s best you get home, cowboys.
那是他
That’s him.
不 我和马?
No, me and horses?
我不这么认为
I don’t think so.
很高兴认识你
Nice to meet you.
你有没有再次遇到海森堡?
Did you ever encounter Heisenberg again?
不是面对面 不过……
Not in person, no, but…
你可以说我们有过交集
you might say our paths crossed.
回到美国后
On returning to America,
我接受了加州理工和伯克利的教职
I accepted positions at both Caltech and up at Berkeley.
劳伦斯博士 是吧?
Dr. Lawrence, I presume?
你一定是奥本海默
You must be Oppenheimer.
是的
Yes.
我听说你想开一个量子理论研讨班
I hear you want to start a school of quantum theory.
我要开始了 在隔壁
I am starting it, next door.
-他们把你安排在这?
-我申请的
-They put you in there?