and now, in front of the entire country,
他们想把我打回原形
they want to put me back in my place.
一个卑微的鞋子销♥售♥员
A lowly shoe salesman.
刘易斯 我们能赢的
Lewis, we can win this thing.
我想我们可以让参议院明白
I think we can get the Senate to grasp
你尽了你的职责 虽然很痛苦
that you did your duty, painful though it was.
-现在 希尔的证词能支持我们吗?
-希尔会没事的
-Now, will Hill’s testimony back us up?
-Hill will be fine.
我不太认识他 但他是西拉德在芝加哥的信徒
I don’t really know him, but he was one of Szilard’s boys in Chicago.
他们永远不会原谅罗伯特
And they’d never forgave Robert for not
没有支持反对轰炸日本的请♥愿♥书
supporting the petition against bombing Japan.
这是爆♥炸♥发生31天后拍摄的
This was taken 31 days after the bombing.
事实上 方圆近一英里街道上的每个人
Virtually everyone in the streets, for nearly a mile around,
都迅速和彻底的……
was instantly and seriously…
被烧死
burned.
日本人后来把这些皮肤被烧成
The Japanese spoke of people who
一条条的条纹状的人,称之为穿条纹衣服的人
wore striped clothing, upon whom the skin was burned in stripes.
有很多人认为自己很幸运
There were many who thought themselves lucky,
他们从家园的废墟中爬出来
who climbed out of the ruins of their homes,
只是受了点轻伤
only slightly injured.
但他们还是死了
But they died anyway.
他们几天或几周后陆续死去
They died days, or weeks later,
死于在爆♥炸♥发生的一瞬间
from iridium-like rays emitted in great numbers
大量放射的类铱射线
at the moment of the explosion.
你读过报纸上的那些垃圾了吗?
Did you read this crap in the papers?
一位英国物理学家说
A British physicist is saying
原♥子♥弹♥爆♥炸♥不是第二次世界大战的最后一幕
the atomic bombings were not the last act of World War II,
而是与俄♥国♥冷战的第一幕
but the first act of this cold war with Russia.
哪位物理学家?
Which physicist?
我想你认识他 帕特里克·布莱克特
I think you knew him. Patrick Blackett.
他可能没错 史汀生最近告诉我
He may not be wrong. Stimson is now telling me
我们轰炸了一个基本上被打败的敌人
we bombed an enemy that was essentially defeated.
罗伯特 你现在拥有强大的影响力
Robert, you’ve all the influence now.
求你了
Please,
敦促他们让我继续研究氢弹
urge them to continue my research on the Super.
我不能也不愿意 爱德华
I neither can nor will, Edward.
为什么?
Why not?
这不是对我们资源的正确使用
It’s not the right use of our resources.
你真的这么想吗?
Is that what you really believe?
J·罗伯特·奥本海默? 狮身人面像般的原子大♥师♥?
J. Robert Oppenheimer? Sphinx-like guru of the atom?
没有人知道你信仰什么
Nobody knows what you believe.
你自己知道吗? 嗯?
Do you? Hmm?
最后 有请我们的项目主管罗伯特·奥本海默博士
One final time, our program director, Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer.
我希望在未来的岁月里
I hope that in years to come,
当你回顾自己在这里的工作时 会感到自豪
you will look back on your work here with pride.
虽然今天 这种自豪感必然被一种深深的忧虑所笼罩
But today, that pride must be tempered with a profound concern.
如果要把原子武器加入交战世界的武器库中
If atomic weapons are to be added to the arsenals of a warring world,
那么总有一天人们会诅咒洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯这个名字
then the day will come when people will curse the name of Los Alamos.
呃 抱歉 将军
Uh, sorry, Admiral.
中间出去拿来这个
Stopped off to get this.
看起来很有利
Seems pretty favorable.
那是奥本海默 标题是什么?
There’s Oppenheimer. What’s the caption?
呃 “J·罗伯特·奥本海默大战施特劳斯……
Uh, “J. Robert Oppenheimer. Strauss fought him…
“美国赢了”
“and the US won.”
这就行
That’ll work.
这是你那天说的话
Those were your words from the other day.
我们需要转向
We needed to pivot.
但你怎么知道《时代》杂♥志♥会写什么?
But how would you know what Time Magazine was gonna write?
亨利·卢斯是我的朋友
Henry Luce is a friend.
你坐在这里 让我告诉你怎么做
You sat here and let me tell you how it’s done,
但其实你一直操控全局
but you’ve been far ahead all along.
想在华盛顿生存
Survival in Washington.
就要知道如何把事情做好
It’s about knowing how to get things done.
没错
Right.
你是怎么说博登的?
What was it you said about Borden?
借刀杀人 方为上策?
Why get caught holding the knife yourself?
我开始觉得博登是在帮你拿刀
I’m beginning to think Borden was holding the knife for you.
这要看影响力有多大
It’s gonna come down to how much influence
博登能够对泰勒施加压力
Borden’s been able to exert on Teller.
我说了什么好笑的话吗?
Did I say something funny?
尽是“博登 博登 博登” 而我们都知道是施特劳斯
Just “Borden, Borden, Borden”, when we all know that it’s Strauss.
刘易斯带我来的普林斯顿 凯蒂
Lewis brought me to Princeton, Kitty.
然后你在国会面前羞辱了他
And then you humiliated him in front of Congress.
但比三明治强!
But more useful than a sandwich!
我表现如何?
How’d I do?
似乎有点过了 罗伯特
Maybe a little too well, Robert.
那是六年前的事了
That was six years ago.
你知道 他们真的很记仇 像圣人一样有耐心
You know, they’re truly vindictive, patient as saints.
施特劳斯已经非常清楚地表明他是中立的
Strauss has been perfectly clear that he is neutral.
醒醒吧! 是施特劳斯!
Wake up! It is Strauss!
一直都是施特劳斯 你知道的!
It’s always been Strauss, and you know it!
你为什么不跟他战斗?
Why won’t you fight him?
不是尼科尔斯也不是胡佛 也不是杜鲁门的人
It wasn’t Nichols, or Hoover, or one of Truman’s guys.
是你
It was you.
你把文件给了博登
You gave the file to Borden.
你让他去举报奥本海默
You set him on Oppenheimer.
-你说服了他
-博登
-You convinced him…
-Borden…
不费吹灰之力
didn’t take any convincing.
慢慢来 把整个文件都用上
Take your time, use the entire file.
写下你的结论 发给联邦调查局
Write up your conclusions, send them to the FBI.
材料显然很广泛
The material’s obviously extensive,
但这里没什么新鲜的
but there’s nothing new here.
新鲜的是你的结论
Your conclusions will be.
他们必须得给回复
And they’ll have to be answered.
胡佛把它们交给了麦卡锡?
Hoover passes them to McCarthy?
对那个自吹自擂的小丑来说 奥本海默太狡猾了
Oppenheimer’s too slippery for that self-promoting clown.
我跟胡佛谈过了
I’ve talked it over with Hoover.
他会牵制麦卡锡 而你去对付原子能委员会
He’ll hold McCarthy at bay while you do this with the AEC.
-庭审?
-不 没有庭审
-Trial?
-No, no trial.
你不能给奥本海默一个平台
You can’t give Oppenheimer a platform.
绝不能让他成为烈士
You can’t martyr him.
我们需要系统性地摧毁奥本海默的威信
We need a systematic destruction of Oppenheimer’s credibility,
这样他就再也不能谈论国♥家♥安♥全♥问题了
so he can never again speak on matters of national security.
然后呢?
Then what?
一个破旧的小房♥间 远离聚光灯
A shabby little room. Far from the limelight.
一个简单的官僚程序 他的安全许可证就要续签了
A simple bureaucratic procedure. His Q clearance. It’s up for renewal.
你向联邦调查局提出指控……
You send your accusations to the FBI…
胡佛把他们送到原子能委员会 你被迫采取行动
Hoover sends them to the AEC. You’re forced to act.
你写一份起诉书
You write up an indictment.
你告诉奥本海默 他的安全许可不会延期
You tell Oppenheimer his security clearance is not being renewed.
但给他一个上诉的机会
But offer him the chance to appeal.
如你所见 罗伯特 还没有签字
As you can see, Robert, it’s not yet signed.
-我可以保留这个吗?
-不行
-May I keep this?
-No.
如果你决定上诉 他们会寄给你一份副本
If you do decide to appeal, they’ll have to send you a copy.
当他上诉的时候 相信我 他会的 我会任命一个委员会
When he appeals, and trust me, he will, I appoint a board.
他们中当然会有律师
They will, of course, have counsel.
-检察官?
-除了名字
-Prosecutor?
-In all but name.
-谁?
-罗杰·罗伯
-Who?
-Roger Robb.
哎哟
Ouch.
罗伯将获得安全许可 查阅奥本海默的档案
Robb will have security clearance to examine Oppenheimer’s file.
格雷委员会也可以 辩护律师则不行
As will the Gray Board. Defense counsel will not.
一次闭门听证会
A closed hearing.
你们在阅读我的起诉书中所谓的审讯信息时……
The so-called interrogatory information in your indictment of me…
没有观众 没有记者 没有举证责任
No audience, no reporters, no burden of proof.
没有举证责任?
No burden of proof?
我们不定罪