Rural free deliveries. 80 babies delivered the first year.
今年我们一个月就有十个
This year we’ve had ten, a month.
节育有点超出我的能力范围啊 将军
Birth control is a little out of my jurisdiction, General.
-显而易见
-将军
-Clearly.
-General.
大家低头 福克斯 低头
Head down, everybody. Fuchs, head down.
就是这个!
That’s the one!
两枚可用的炸♥弹♥
Two viable bombs.
给我个时间
I need a date.
九月
September.
七月
July.
这次爆破完美 先生们
That’s the sweet spot, gentlemen.
八月
August.
七月
July.
七月份测试
Tests in July.
但我需要我弟弟
But I need my brother.
弗兰克了解沙漠 他早把政♥治♥抛在脑后了
Frank knows the desert. He’s left politics behind.
他已经和劳伦斯共事两年
He’s been working with Lawrence for two years now.
这次测试叫什么?
What do we call the test?
“敲打我心
“Batter my heart,
“圣父、圣子、圣灵”
“three-person’d God.”
什么?
What?
三位一体
Trinity.
你坚持要带上你弟弟弗兰克 一个著名的共♥产♥党员
You insisted on bringing on your brother Frank, a known communist.
前共♥产♥党员
Former communist.
你让一个著名的前共♥产♥主义者 进入……
You brought a known former communist…
美国最机密最重要的国防项目
onto America’s most secret and important defense project.
我知道我弟弟是可以信任的 绝对可以
I knew my brother could be trusted. Absolutely.
你觉得你对团队中谁可以信任的判断是正确的吗?
And you thought your judgment was sound on who on the team could be trusted?
福克斯 低头
Fuchs, head down.
好了 都准备好了吗?
Okay. Everybody ready?
-我希望你学到些东西
-是的 我们已经知道我们需要
-I hope you learned something.
-Yeah, we’ve learned we’re gonna need
一个更远的地方
-好吧 快点想办法
to be a lot further away.
-Well, figure it out, fast.
我们明早去华盛顿 我们要给他们个准信
We leave for Washington in the morning. We’re going to give him a date.
大老远从芝加哥来啊 利奥
You’re a long way from Chicago, Leo.
如果我们现在不行动 他们就会用这东西对付日本
If we don’t act now, they’re going to use this thing against Japan.
我们和杜鲁门预约见面 但被人取消了
We booked a meeting with Truman, but somebody killed it.
你要去见战争部长
You’re meeting the Secretary of War.
就因为是我们制♥造♥的 并不意味着我们可以决定如何使用它
Just because we’re building it, doesn’t mean we get to decide how it’s used.
历史将审评我们 罗伯特
History will judge us, Robert.
在芝加哥 我们起草了一份请♥愿♥书
In Chicago, we put together a petition.
我不……我不想参与这个
I’m not… I’m not getting into this.
只要告诉我你的担忧 我会传达的
Just tell me your concerns, and I’ll relate them.
我的担忧? 德国战败了
My concerns? Germany’s defeated.
日本独木难支
Japan’s not going to hold out alone.
你怎么知道? 是你把我们牵扯进来的
How could you know that? You got us into this.
你和爱因斯坦 还有你给罗斯福写信说我们可以制♥造♥原♥子♥弹♥
You and Einstein, with your letter to Roosevelt saying we could build a bomb.
那是对付德国
Against Germany.
制♥造♥武器可不管这些 西拉德
That’s not how weapons manufacture works, Szilard.
奥比 你得帮帮我
Oppie, you have to help.
费米参加会议 劳伦斯参加会议
Fermi’s in the meeting. Lawrence is in the meeting.
他们不是你 你是伟大的科学推销员
They’re not you. You’re the great salesman of science.
你可以说服任何人相信任何事
You can convince anyone of anything.
甚至是你自己
Even yourself.
不好意思
Excuse me.
东京大火造成10万人死亡 其中大部分是平民
The firestorm in Tokyo killed 100,000 people, mostly civilians.
当我们做这些事情时却没有人抗♥议♥ 我开始担心美国
I worry about America when we do these things and no one protests.
珍珠港事件 以及三年来太平洋地区的残酷杀戮
Pearl Harbor, and three years of brutal conflict in the Pacific,
给了我们在美国公众心目中极大的自♥由♥
buys a lot of latitude with the American public.
足以投掷原♥子♥弹♥吗?
Enough to unleash the atomic bomb?
原♥子♥弹♥造成的破坏可能没有轰炸东京那么严重
Uh, the A-bomb might not cause as much damage as the Tokyo bombings.
我们估计如何?
What are we estimating?
在一个中等规模的城市 呃……
In a medium-sized city, uh…
死亡两三万人
20,000 or 30,000 dead.
是的 但是不可低估
Yes, but don’t underestimate
原♥子♥弹♥爆♥炸♥的心理影响
the psychological impact of an atomic explosion.
一个烈焰冲天的万丈火柱
A pillar of fire, 10,000 feet tall,
一英里范围内致命的中子效应
deadly neutron effects for a mile,
从一台装置向四面八方扩散
in all directions, from one single device.
从一架毫不起眼的B-29轰炸机上投下 原♥子♥弹♥将是……
Dropped from a barely-noticed B-29, the atomic bomb will be…
神圣力量的末日启示
a terrible revelation of divine power.
如果你说的是真的 那就确凿无疑了
If that’s true, it would be definitive.
第二次世界大战就此结束
World War II would be over.
我们的孩子将会回家
Our boys would come home.
攻击目标呢?
Military targets?
如果没有足够大的城市
But there aren’t any big enough.
也可以选一个重要的兵工厂
Perhaps a vital war plant,
工人们住在附近
with workers housed nearby.
我们可以发出警告 减少平民伤亡
And we could issue a warning to reduce civilian casualties.
他们会不惜一切代价对付我们
They’d send everything they have up against us,
甚至打落每一架飞机
and I’d be up in that plane.
如果我们宣布了 但没有成功
If we announce it, and it fails to go off,
反而会激起日本战争的气焰
we’d scupper any chance of a Japanese surrender.
难道没有办法向日本展示原♥子♥弹♥来导致投降吗?
Is there no way to demonstrate a bomb to Japan to provoke surrender?
我们打算用最无可争辩的事实来宣布这一点
We intend to demonstrate it in the most unambiguous terms.
两次
Twice.
一次为了展示武器的威力
Once to show the weapon’s power,
第二次证明我们可以一直这么做直到他们投降
and a second to show that we can keep doing this until they surrender.
我们有12座城市可供选择
We have a list of 12 cities to choose from.
对不起 11座
Sorry, 11.
我已经把京都从名单上划掉了
I’ve taken Kyoto off the list,
鉴于它对日本人♥民♥的文化意义
due to its cultural significance to the Japanese people.
还有 我和我妻子在那里度蜜月
Also, my wife and I honeymooned there.
这是一座美丽绝伦的城市
It’s a magnificent city.
让我把事情简单化 先生们
Let me make this simple for you, gentlemen.
根据我不能告诉你们的情报
According to my intelligence, which I cannot share with you,
日本人无论如何
the Japanese people will not surrender,
不会投降
under any circumstances,
除非能成功彻底地占领本岛
short of a successful and total invasion of the home islands.
许多人将失去生命 包括美国人和日本人
Many lives would be lost, American and Japanese.
在日本城市使用原♥子♥弹♥将拯救生命
The use of the atomic bomb on Japanese cities will save lives.
如果我们保持道德优势
If we retain moral advantage.
-为什么这么说?
-一旦我们使用这个武器
-How so?
-Well, if we use this weapon
而不通知我们的盟友 他们会将其视为威胁
without informing our allies, they’ll see it as a threat,
我们就会陷入军备竞赛
and we’ll be in an arms race.
我们能对苏联人开诚布公吗?
How open can we be with the Soviets?
保密不会阻止苏联加入原子俱乐部
Secrecy won’t stop the Soviets from becoming part of the atomic world.
-我们被告知他们没有铀
-你们被误导了
-We’ve been told they have no uranium.
-You’ve been misinformed.
俄♥国♥拥有原♥子♥弹♥只是时间问题
A Russian bomb is a matter of time.
战后这个项目需要全速推进
The program needs to continue at full pace after the war.
辛普森部长 容我说一句
Secretary Simpson, if I may,
并非所有参与该项目的科学家都意见一致
not all scientists on the project are in agreement.
事实上 现在可能是考虑其他意见的时候了
In fact, this might be a moment to consider other opinions.
-如果你和科学家谈谈……
-曼哈顿计划陷入困境
-If you talk to scientists…
-The Manhattan Project has been plagued
从某些科学家开始……
from the start by certain scientists of…
他们有着令人怀疑的谨慎和摇摆不定的忠诚
doubtful discretion, and uncertain loyalty.
其中一位刚刚试图与总统见面
One of ’em just tried to meet with the President.
现在 我们需要这些人
Now, we need these men,
但一旦实现了
but as soon as it’s practical,
我们应该把任何这样的科学家从这个项目中除名
we should sever any such scientists from the program.
你同意吗 博士?
Wouldn’t you agree, Doctor?
如果俄♥国♥的原♥子♥弹♥不可避免
If a Russian bomb is inevitable,
也许我们应该邀请他们的顶尖科学家来三一学院
perhaps we should invite their top scientist to Trinity.
杜鲁门总统无意提高
President Truman has no intention of raising expectations
人们对斯大林参与原子项目的期望
that Stalin be included in the atomic project.
向他通报我们的突破