-同意
-He’s a prima donna!
-I agree.
-他应该离开洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
-好的
-He should leave Los Alamos.
-Okay.
凯斯蒂 你代替尼德迈尔 塞斯 我把你放在钚小组
Kisti, you replace Neddermeyer. Seth, I’m putting you on plutonium.
莉莉 你去跟凯斯蒂 因为他需要你
Lilli, you go on for Kisti, because he needs you.
福克斯 你接替泰勒的角色
Fuchs, you take Teller’s role.
我让你专门负责内爆装置
I’m putting you exclusively on the implosion device.
没人能离开洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
And no one is leaving Los Alamos.
-他们不让我走!
-不 我不会让你走的
-They won’t let me leave!
-No, I won’t let you leave.
忘了汉斯 忘了裂变
Forget Hans, forget fission.
留在这里 研究你想要的东西
Stay here, research what you want.
核聚变 氢弹什么的
Fusion, the hydrogen bomb, whatever.
-我们会见面讨论的
-你没时间见我
-We’ll meet to discuss it.
-You don’t have time to meet.
你现在是个政客 罗伯特 你已经把物理学抛在脑后很多很多年了
You’re a politician now, Robert. You’ve left physics behind many, many years ago.
一周一次
Once a week.
一个小时 你和我
One hour, you and me.
现在升起这该死的路障!
Now raise this fucking barrier!
那么氢弹是你在洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯监督开♥发♥的?
So the氢弹was under development on your watch at Los Alamos?
是的
Yes.
然而 在战后 你试图否认它的可行性
And yet, after the war, you tried to deny it was viable.
不 不 不 我只是指出它在技术上的困难
No, no, no. I pointed out technical difficulties with it.
你不是想在原子能委员会会议上扼杀它吗
Didn’t you try to kill it at the AEC meeting
-在俄♥国♥原♥子♥弹♥试验之后?
-没有
after the Russian bomb test?
-No.
这是原子能委员会的建议 不是吗?
But that was the recommendation of the AEC, was it not?
在讨论了几个小时的最佳应对之后
After hours of discussion about the best response.
氢弹的威力是原♥子♥弹♥的1000倍
An H-bomb is 1,000 times the power of an A-bomb.
它唯一的目标是最大的城市
Its only intended target would be the largest cities.
-这是大规模种族灭绝的武器
-伊兹
-It’s a weapon of mass genocide.
-Izzy.
在地图的这一边画一些圆圈
Draw some circles on this side of the map,
他们的目标是我们 从纽约开始
where they would target us, starting with New York.
-很公平
-华盛顿特区
-That’s fair.
-D.C.
这是一种攻击性武器 没有任何防御作用
It’s a weapon of attack with no defensive value.
-威慑
-威慑?
-Deterrence.
-Deterrence?
我们真的需要比我们目前的原♥子♥弹♥武器库更多的威慑吗?
Do we really need more deterrence than our current arsenal of atomic bombs?
你 你淹死在10英尺深的水里还是一万英尺深的水里 有什么区别?
You, you drown in ten feet of water or 10,000, what’s the difference?
我们已经可以淹没俄♥国♥了 他们知道……
We can already drown Russia. They know it…
-现在他们也可以淹没我们……
-我们只是在升级……
-Now they can drown us with…
-We’re just escalating…
正如我所说 泰勒的设计和战时一样不切实际
As I said, Teller’s designs are still as impractical as they were during the war.
氢弹是可行的 奥比 你懂的
A hydrogen bomb can be made to work, Oppie. You know that.
我不建议我们应该把所有的资源都用在这上面
I don’t believe we should commit all our resources to that chance.
那你怎么让杜鲁门安抚美国人♥民♥呢?
Then how would you have Truman reassure the American people?
只需限制原子武器的扩散
Simply by limiting the spread of atomic weapons
通过对核能的国际管制
through international control on nuclear energy.
你是说世界政♥府♥
By which you mean world government.
联♥合♥国♥ 正如罗斯福所希望的那样
The United Nations, as Roosevelt intended.
嗯 我是问杜鲁门该怎么办 对吧?世界变了
Well, I asked what Truman should do, right? The world’s changed.
威胁我们生存的不是法♥西♥斯♥主义 而是共♥产♥主义
It’s not fascism but communism that now threatens our survival.
刘易斯 你明白吗 如果我们制♥造♥氢弹
Lewis, do you understand, if we build a hydrogen bomb,
俄♥国♥人将别无选择 只能建造自己的?
the Russians will have no choice but to build their own?
他们不是正在做吗?
Could they be working on one already?
根据从洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯的间谍那里得到的信息……
Based on information gathered from the spy at Los Alamos…
-洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯没有间谍
-先生们……
-No spy at Los Alamos.
-Gentlemen…
-没有吗?
-我们不要跑题
-There wasn’t?
-Let’s not get sidetracked.
我觉得我们应该利用这个机会让俄♥国♥人让步
I say we use this moment to gain concessions from the Russians
通过承诺我们不会制♥造♥氢弹
by committing that we will not build a hydrogen bomb.
那就会暴露它的存在
Thereby revealing its existence.
你似乎确信他们已经知道了
Which you seem convinced they already know.
好吧
Alright.
现在 我希望委员会成员能私下交流
At this point, I’d like the committee members to meet in privacy
最终确定我们的建议
to finalize our recommendations.
我只是不确定你是否想走这条路
I’m just not sure you want to go down this route.
刘易斯 恕我直言 我们是顾问委员会
Lewis, with respect, we are the advisory committee.
我们会给他们我们的建议
We will give them our advice.
晚安
Good night.
奥本海默博士? 你好
Dr. Oppenheimer? Hi.
我是威廉·博登 原子能联合委员会的
William Borden. Joint Committee on Atomic Energy.
哦 是的 是的
Oh, yes, yes.
战争期间 我是个飞行员
During the war, I was a pilot.
一天晚上 我从一次袭击中返航 看到了令人惊讶的一幕
One night, flying back from a raid, I saw an amazing sight.
一枚V2火箭 像流星一样飞向英格兰
Like a meteor. A V2 rocket headed to England.
我忍♥不住想象 如果这枚敌人的火箭携带原♥子♥弹♥头
I can’t help but imagine what it will be
将会发生什么
for such an enemy rocket to carry an atomic warhead.
我们将确保不是我们让这一切成为可能
Let’s make sure we’re not the ones to make that possible.
奥比 我觉得你不该和施特劳斯较劲
Oppie, I don’t think you want to go up against Strauss.
如果大家都表态 他们就会听我的
If we both speak, they listen to me.
你说话时 他们听到的是先知 施特劳斯说话时 他们听到的是自己
When you speak, they hear a prophet. When Strauss speaks, they hear themselves.
他们会听先知的话
They’ll listen to a prophet.
先知不会错 一次也不会
A prophet can’t be wrong. Not once.
你有没有指控奥本海默破坏了氢弹的研发?
Did you accuse Oppenheimer of sabotaging the development of the Super?
我从来不是那种喜欢搞阴谋诡计的人
I was never one of those to bandy around terms like sabotage.
-但博登先生是?
-据我所知 有可能
-But Mr. Borden was?
-As I understand it, possibly.
博登先生是如何写出这么详细的起诉书的?
How was Mr. Borden able to put together such a detailed indictment?
他不再是政♥府♥雇员了 但他似乎
He was no longer a government employee, yet he appears to have had
仍然可以访问奥本海默博士的档案
unlimited access to Dr. Oppenheimer’s file.
尼科尔斯先生有没有可能给他看文件的权限?
Might Mr. Nichols have given him access to the file?
还是原子能委员会的人?
Or someone else at the AEC?
这是非常严重的指控 参议员
That’s a very serious accusation, Senator.
你是不是想说
Is it your intention to suggest
奥本海默博士对美国不忠?
that Dr. Oppenheimer is disloyal to the United States?
我始终认为 并且现在仍然认为他忠于美国
I’ve always assumed, and still assume, that he’s loyal to the United States.
我相信 我也会一直相信
I believe this, and I shall believe it,
除非我看到相反的确凿证据
until I see very conclusive proof to the opposite.
你是否相信奥本海默博士存在安全风险?
Do you or do you not believe that Dr. Oppenheimer is a security risk?
容我说一句 希♥特♥勒♥在地堡里自爆以后
If I may, look, when Hitler blew his brains out in that bunker,
我个人认为没有必要
it is my humble opinion that there is no need
除了那个试验场 原♥子♥弹♥在任何地方都不该使用
for that bomb to be seen anywhere except that test site.
我觉得 我们至少得花点时间想想
Well, we at least have to take a moment to think about
目的正义是否就意味着手段正义 因为……
whether the means justify the ends any longer because…
德国就要投降了
Germany is about to surrender.
对人类最大的威胁不再是敌人
It’s no longer the enemy who are the greatest threat to mankind.
而是我们的工作
It’s our work.
确实 希♥特♥勒♥死了
Hitler’s dead. It’s true.
但日本还在负隅顽抗
But the Japanese fight on.
看来他们必败无疑
Their defeat seems assured.
除非你准备派军队入侵
Not if you’re a G.I. preparing to invade.
我们可以结束这场战争
We can end this war.
但我们如何证明对人类使用这种武器是正当的呢?
But how do we justify using this weapon on human beings?
我们是理论家 不是吗?
We’re theorists. Yes?
我们想象未来 而我们的想象让我们感到恐惧
We imagine a future, and our imaginings horrify us.
直到世人看见它 他们才会害怕
They won’t fear it until they understand it,
直到我们使用它 他们才会看见
and they won’t understand it until they’ve used it.
当全世界都知道洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯可怕的秘密时
When the world learns the terrible secret of Los Alamos,
我们在这里的工作将确保人类史上一个崭新的和平
our work here will ensure a peace mankind has never seen.
建立在国际合作基础上的和平
A peace based on the kind of international cooperation
罗斯福总统一直梦寐以求的和平
that Roosevelt always envisaged.
-进展如何?
-两年 花了十亿美元
-Progress?
-Two years and a billion dollars’ worth.
-很难用金钱来衡量
-不 只是把账单加起来
-Hard to put a price on it.
-Not really, just add up the bills.
都快成野战孕妇营地了 第一年出生80个婴儿