停 停 停
Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.
给我
Let go! Let go! Stop!
理查·艾斯比去世了
Damn. Richard Ellespeare died.
他曾是我在哈佛的老师 不
He was a professor of mine at Harvard. – No!
他是小说家和人道主义者 嘿 后头在干什么
He was a novelist, humanitarian. – Hey, hey, back there.
出过8本小说 其中一本还是畅销书
Published eight novels, including the best seller – Stop it! Quit it!
《希望的方向》 还得到了普立兹奖呢
Hope’s Way, for which he won the Pulitzer Prize.
他是怎样的人 一个追求尽善尽美的人
What kind of man was this? – A man who pursues excellence and nothing less.
爸爸 什么事
Dad? – Yes?
我想上厕所
l have to go to the bathroom.
你不能忍♥到我们到了吗
Can’t you hold it till we get there?
好吧 我想
Mmm, yes. l guess
我可以练习意念控制
l can practice mind over matter.
乖孩子
Atta girl.
看看那些小牛 艾丽
Oh, look at the baby cows, Ellie!
天啊 看看它们
Oh, my God! Look at them.
妈 我正在看书 小牛应该叫犊吧
l’m reading, Mom. And baby cows are calves.
在成长的过程中 我和母亲并不亲近
l was never close to my mother growing up.
那会被贝司先生用来对付我吗
ls that something Mr. Best is going to use against me?
检察官不会特意对付你的
Ellen, the D.A.’s not going to use anything against you.
好的 因为我答应接受采访
Okay. Because– Well, l-l agreed to do this because
因为贝司太太是我母亲生前的好友
Mrs. Best, his wife, was a friend of my mother’s.
我需要律师吗
Do l need an attorney?
这里并没人指控你有任何罪行
Nobody in this office is accusing you of anything.
我们了解对晚期患者来说
We’re well aware that this kind of thing happens
这种事层出不穷
all the time with terminal patients.
这是个小镇 流言传的快
lt’s– lt’s a small town. People talk.
检察官想了解一下
The D.A. wants to be able to say that he looked into it
再将它归档
and he can put it to bed.
我能怎么说 今年是选举年
What can l say? lt’s an election year.
你知道你母亲的尸体被化验了吗
Anyway, were you aware that an autopsy was being performed on your mother’s body?
是的 她要求的
Yes, uh-huh, at her request.
是为了找出病因
Uh, actually to find out the source of the disease.
主要是为我好
Primarily for my benefit.
你现在住在哪里
Mm-hmm. Where are you living now?
纽约 哈佛毕业后就搬去了
ln New York. l’ve been there since l finished Harvard.
郊区的生活正在把我毁灭
This living in the suburbs is going to kill me.
小熊镇妇女会预言下月会崩♥盘♥
Hey, Tweedy, the Bearstone Ladies predict a stock market crash next month.
快把照片上的字搞定 快放成古董了
Finish the captions on the junk shot, Casey. – They’re antiques.
脉搏110 得查查这个
l’ve got a 110 pulse. l’ve got to check this again. – Tweedy.
这个新闻太棒了
This story is too good.
苏利文议员最年轻的候选议员
Senator Sullivan, youngest guy ever to be elected to the Senate.
父亲曾是毒贩 他克服这些
His father was a drug dealer, he overcomes that– excuse me–
正当他平步青云 也许能当总统时
is on his way to big things, possibly the presidency
他撞了车并害全车人遇难
until he crashes his car into a tree, kills everyone inside – That was actually final draft?
因为吸了白粉
while he’s on cocaine.
这消息太真棒
l mean, this is not just good. This is great.
像莎士比亚般 父罪子承
Shakespearean. Sins of the father revisited on the son
他拒绝采访
etcetera, etcetera. – We’ve got no interview. He’s not talking.
我想采访他 他在戒毒
l can get him to talk. l promise you. – He’s checking into rehab.
城里有些人形容你是
Some people in town are describing you as
冷酷又无情的
cold and insensitive.
艾伦·歌♥尔顿忠于野心
Ambition is Ellen Gulden’s religion.
她自视甚高 她不合群
She’s condescending. She’s remote, whatever. – l can get him to talk.
我的确野心勃勃
Well, l was ambitious.
现在还是一样
l still am.
我父亲教导我要事事用心
My father taught me to work very hard at everything l do, and l always have.
我并不累
l’m not tired.
你在纽约过着很正常的生活
So you were living a pretty normal life in New York? – Uh-huh.
住在公♥寓♥
Apartment? – Uh-huh.
有室友吗 没有
Roommate? – No. No roommate.
有男友吗 男友
Boyfriend? – Boyfriend.
亲爱的 听我解释 快滚吧
Honey, please let me explain. – Jordan, just get out of here.
我不想再见到你 拜托
l don’t want to see you anymore. – Come on. l got–
我买♥♥了酒 蜡烛 全套的东西
l’m standing out here. l got wine, candles. l got the whole kit.
你走 乔丹
Just go away, Jordan.
5分钟就好 拜托
El, can l just talk to you for five minutes, please? l’ll explain everything.
走开 我们从大四开始
Go away! – We were together
就在一起了
since senior year in college.
这是最后一次了
This one was the last time, okay?
我们分手了许多次
Well, not together. We, uh– We took breaks.
分分合合
You know, a lot of breaks.
那很糟 一点都不好笑
That’s mean. That’s not funny.
他说需要空间 一个叫琳达的空间
He just needed some space. – Space named Linda.
对不起 那是她的名字吗 罗莉
l’m sorry. Was that her name? Lori? l don’t remember.
那不是吗
Oh, you’re so mean. – ls that not her name?
你真坏 别误解我
That– You’re so mean. – Don’t get me wrong.
我欣赏他
l like him.
当然 那是我最要好的女朋友 茱尔
Of course, it was, um, Jules, my best girlfriend
她陪我回家 帮我父亲庆祝生日
who, uh, came home with me to celebrate my father’s birthday.
乔丹和以前一样 没空回来
Jordan, um, as usual, had something he had to do.
这肯定棒极了
Oh, this ought to be good.
装扮成你最喜欢的文学角色光临
”Come as your favorite literary character.” l don’t know why
妈妈就不能办一个普通的生日会吗
my mom can’t just throw a normal birthday party.
艾丽 肯定会很有趣的
Ellie, it’s going to be perfectly fine.
谢谢你
Thank you. Thanks.

Hey! – Whoo-hoo!

Hi. – Hi.
帽子不错 很棒 整体都不错
Oh, good hat. Uh-huh. – Really good hat. Really good everything.
谢谢 你们要扮成谁呢
Thanks. What’d you guys come dressed as?
史维·普莱思双胞胎
The Sylvia Plath twins?
你知道我无法装扮 为什么
Brian, you know l can’t do costumes. – Why?
太像妈了
lt’s just so Mom. – Human?
你们最近都在忙些什么 天啊
So what have you guys been up to? – God!
写稿和交稿
Ooh. Mm-hmm. – lt’s writing and deadlines.
带我走吧
Take me away.
好 等等
Okay. – Oh, wait!
有人刚上完暑期班 恭喜
Somebody just finished summer school, didn’t he? Congratulations!
真好 我没读完
Actually, l didn’t finish. – That’s great!
什么
What?
我 布莱恩·歌♥尔顿
l, Brian Gulden
美国浪漫主义文学之子 败给了美国文学
son of Mr. American Literature and the romantics, failed American Literature.
你说真的
You’re serious?
是的 真有你的
Yeah. – Well, way to go.
怎么会呢 我考砸了
How did you do that? – l blew the test, Ellen.
布莱恩
Brian.
你告诉爸了吗
Did you tell Dad?
没有
No.
不及格不表示我是笨蛋啊
Just ’cause l’m failing doesn’t make me a moron.

Yoo-hoo! Hi!
她在那里 嗨 妈妈
There she is. – Hi, Mom.
你♥爸♥不在这儿 不用紧张 过来
Your dad’s not here. The coast is clear. Gimme! Gimme!
茱尔 嗨
Gimme! Hi, Jules.

Hi.
真高兴见到你 我也是
Hi. You too. – Good to see you.
我来拿 不 我行
Let me get your– – Oh, no, no, no. l got it.
你确定 谢谢
Are you sure? Okay. – Yeah, yeah. Thanks. Oh, thank you.
你们坐计程车来的吗 我可以叫布莱恩去接的
You got a cab? l would have sent Brian to come and pick you up.
你应该告诉我的 没关系
You should have told me. – Oh, that’s okay.
请进
Come in. Come in, come in, come in.
你一定忙了好几天了 是的
God, this must have taken you days. – Oh, well, yes.
朱尔 你看起来好极了 谢谢
Jules, you look wonderful. – Oh, thanks.
我最近才剪了头发 很好看
l just cut my hair. – Oh. lt looks gorgeous.
你的也不错 谢谢
And your hair looks great too. – Oh, thank you.
这个是毛线 猜猜我是谁
Oh, this– lt’s yarn. Look. Guess who l am.
等等 提示
Oh, wait! Clue.
只愿我有一个头脑 一颗心
Oh– lf l only had a brain – A heart
一个头脑和其他随便什么
A brain and whatever else
你们对了 像平常一样
Oh, well. You’re right, as usual.
那么让我看看 你们是谁
So, let me see. Who are you? – Uh–