她在开什么会议
she’s running some kind of a conference
她想见我。
and she wants to meet me.
伊丽莎白·麦克斯韦,她叫自己贝蒂。
Elizabeth Maxwell, she calls herself Betty.
显然,她是法国人。
She’s French, apparently.
尼古拉斯·温顿报道。
I’m Nicholas Winton.
下午好。我们一直在等你。
Good afternoon. We’ve been expecting you.
哦。哦,太感谢你了
Oh. Oh, thank you so much
谢谢你远道而来。
for coming all this way.
在这里。剪贴簿。
Here it is. The scrapbook.
嗯,相关的
Um, relates back
回忆起战前我在布拉格度过的一段时光
to some time I spent in Prague before the war.
恐怕有点重。
It’s a little heavy, I’m afraid.
是的。
Yeah.
现在,很多东西只是旅游的东西。
Now, a lot of that stuff is just touristy stuff.
明信片之类的东西。
Postcards and so on and so forth.
,嗯…是的,都有……就是这样。
And, uh… Yes, there are all… That’s it.
有一些字母
There’re some letters
关于儿童的运输,
relating to the transport of children,
-嗯,去英国。——啊。
– uh, to Britain. – Ah.
这就是你救的八个孩子吗?
These are the eight children you saved?
不,不。比那还多。
No, no. It was a few more than that.
如果你翻开书页,你就能看到。
If you turn the pages, you can see.
我把这些卡片寄出去让人们,
I sent out those cards, uh for people to,
选择,你懂吗?
uh, choose, you know?
(笑)我必须说这有点像,嗯,
And, [chuckles] I must say it was a bit like, um,
这有点像卖♥♥肥皂粉,
it was bit like selling soap powder,
如果你明白我的意思。
if you know what I mean.
我这辈子都想不出还有什么办法,
I couldn’t for the life of me think how else I could,
找足够多的家庭来接纳这么多孩子。
uh, find enough families to take in so many kids.
恕我直言,有多少孩子
Uh, forgive me but how many children
我们在说什么?
are we speaking about?
哦。嗯…669年[笑]。
Oh. Uh… [chuckles] 669.
我们成功地放置。
We successfully placed.
你……你……你带了669个孩子
You… You… You brought 669 children
从布拉格到英国?
from Prague to England?
我是说和我的同事
Well, I mean with my colleagues
多琳Warriner,
Doreen Warriner,
特雷弗·查德威克,哈娜还有……
Trevor Chadwick, and Hana and um…
但有很多人参与其中,
But there were so many other people involved, you know,
还有我自己的母亲。她帮了大忙。
and my own mother. She was a great help.
我想……
And I suppose…
我想现在就剩我一个了。
I suppose I’m the only one left, now.
至少我认为我是。
At least I think I am.
那些被划掉的孩子
Uh, the children that are crossed out
是我们为之找到归宿的人。
are the ones we found homes for.
那些没有被划掉的脸呢?
And the faces that are not crossed out?
好吧,他们就没那么幸运了
Ah, well, they were the less fortunate
很遗憾,这是一次抽奖。
and, uh, it was a lottery, I’m afraid.
你给美国总统写信了?
You wrote to the president of the United States?
他真是太好了。
Fat lot of good he was.
我一直没有收到他的回信。
I never heard back from him.
是的,我必须说,这很令人失望。
Yeah, it’s disappointing, I must say.
哦,对了,现在,这些…
Oh, yes, now, these, uh…
那些是孩子们的名字
Those there are the names of the children
还有他们的新地址。
and their new addresses.
对不起,温顿先生。
Excuse me, Mr Winton.
这和我想的不太一样。
This is not exactly what I was expecting.
我有点吃惊
I’m a little taken aback
以你的经营规模来看。
at the scale of your operation.
哦。哦,你知道,
Oh. Oh, you know,
如果我们有更多的钱,更多的时间
if we’d had more money, more time
更多的政♥府♥支持
and more government support
我觉得我们可以做得更多。
we could’ve done a lot more, I think.
空白页?
Blank pages?
是的。那是最后一班火车。
Yeah. That was the last train.
最后一班火车出了什么事?
Something happened to the last train?
是的,是第九次火车。
Yes, it was the ninth train.
这是我们最大的250名儿童小组,嗯……
It was our largest group of 250 children and uh…
这是1939年9月1日。
It was the 1st of September, 1939.
希♥特♥勒♥入侵波兰的同一天。
The same day that Hitler invaded Poland.
战争刚开始。
The very start of the war.
韩亚金融集团。
Hana.
特雷弗!
Trevor!
刘荷娜!
Hana!
刘荷娜!
Hana!
就这样结束了。
That was the end of that.
该死的希♥特♥勒♥,我只能说这么多。
Bloody Hitler, that’s all I can say.
我们有数百个寄养家庭在等着,
We had hundreds of foster families waiting,
准备好欢迎他们,但是…
ready to welcome them, but…
是的。
yeah.
《我》谢谢。
Merci.
把牛奶吗?
Take milk?
不了,谢谢。
Uh, no, thank you.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
这是美妙的。谢谢你!
That’s wonderful. Thank you.
我很抱歉。
I’m sorry.
对你来说一定很困难吧
Must be very difficult for you
知道那些孩子的遭遇。
knowing what happened to those children.
我不知道发生了什么,对吧?
Well, I don’t know what happened, do I?
他们被带下火车,
They were taken off the train,
回到他们的家人身边……
returned to their families and…
就这样结束了。
that was the end of that.
当然,我几乎可以肯定
Surely, I’m almost certain
他们死在集中营里?
that they perished in the camps?
嗯。
Hmm.
关于那些孩子,你可能是对的,麦克斯韦太太。
Well, you may be right about those children, Mrs Maxwell.
但我学会了控制自己的想象力。
But I’ve learned to keep my imagination in check.
所以我还能帮上忙
Uh, so I can still be of use
而不是发疯。
and not go raving mad.
温顿先生,
Mr Winton,
约15000名儿童
around 15,000 children
被关进捷克斯洛伐克的集中营
went into concentration camps in Czechoslovakia
只有不到200人活了下来,
and, uh, less than 200 of them survived,
你救了669人。
and you saved 669.
哦。
Oh.
啊。
Ah.
不管怎样,我最好,我得走了
Anyway, I’d best, uh, I’d better be going
因为我妻子在等我,我不想…
because my wife is expecting me and I don’t want…
我不想惹上任何麻烦,
I don’t want to get into any trouble,
如果你明白我的意思。
if you know what I mean.
我很想
I would like very much
如果可以的话,我可以帮你保管剪贴簿。
to hold on to your scrapbook, if I may.
-好吧。- – -…
– Well, all right. – And…
如果你允许的话,我想让我丈夫看看。
with your permission, I would like to show it to my husband.
我相信他会认为这是一个非常重要的故事。
I’m sure he will consider it a very important story.
哦。好的,谢谢你。
Oh. Well, thank you.
-谢谢。
– Thank you.
你们很多人都知道,
As many of you will know,
我们集团成立于1965年
our group was founded in 1965
来促进梅登黑德之间的友谊
to encourage friendship between Maidenhead
以及横跨欧洲的双城
and its twin towns across Europe.
玛丽亚·贝克特勒在机场迎接我们
We were met at the airport by Maria Bechtler
乘坐长途汽车前往巴德·戈德斯堡,
and travelled by coach to Bad Godesberg,
在那里我们得到了温暖的…
where we were given a warm…
好吧?
All right?
在那里我们得到了一个温暖的Willkommen…
Where we were given a warm Willkommen…
-…我们的女招待。
– …by our hostesses.
谢谢你,亲爱的。别绊倒,它很重。
Thank you, darling. Don’t trip, it’s heavy.
嗨,史蒂夫。
Hey, Steve.
别太劳累了,好吗?
Don’t strain yourself, will you?