他的目标是半个欧洲。
He’s got his sights set on half of Europe.
只是时间的问题。
It’s just a question of when.
还有谁看过?
Who else has seen it?
半个布拉格,我想。
Half of Prague, I imagine.
意在恐吓。
Meant to intimidate.
希♥特♥勒♥从不掩饰他的野心。
Hitler’s never made any secret of his ambitions.
同盟国指望安抚他
The allies banked on appeasing him
拥有这个国家的大♥片♥土地。
with a fat slice of this country.
现在这个恶毒的家伙要把剩下的都拿走了。
Now the vicious shit’s just gonna take the rest of it.
孩子们。我们得转移他们。
The children. We have to move them.
昨天刚到的人说的话。
Says the man who arrived yesterday.
我并不是说这很容易。
Well, I’m not suggesting it’s gonna be easy.
一群没有钱或…还是签证?
A mass transit of children without money or… or visas?
我们会有办法的。
Well, we’ll find a way.
你要在这里待多久?一个星期?
How long are you here for? A week?
然后你就可以回银行了。
And then you’re back to your bank.
我们能先放一放吗?
Can we please put that aside for now?
好吧,我们能现实一点吗?
Well, can we please be realistic?
我们不能给这些人虚假的希望。
We can’t give these people false hope.
看,我们……我们必须相信这是可能的。
Look, we… we have to believe that this might be possible.
看起来……
Look…
让我试试。让……让……让我
Let me try. Let… Let… Let me
找出问题的严重程度。
find out the scale of the problem.
你知道,有多少孩子,名字和年龄,
You know, how many children, names and ages,
他们住的地方。
where they’re living.
必须有现有的信息。
There must be existing information.
那些弱势群体,他们确实有名单。
Well, the vulnerable groups, they do have lists.
但是,他们害怕分享。
But, they are scared to share them.
那我们就得赢得他们的信任。
Well, then, we need to earn their trust.
我们需要这些名单。
We need those lists.
所以,我们必须说服他们。
So, we have to persuade them.
请让我试试。
Please, let me try.
下午好。我叫温顿。
Good afternoon. Uh, my name is Winton.
尼古拉斯·温顿。
Nicholas Winton.
是的,我是从英国委员会打来的
Yes, I’m ringing from the British Committee
来自捷克斯洛伐克的难民。
for Refugees from Czechoslovakia.
我想要一份弱势儿童的名单。
Well, I’m looking to obtain a list of vulnerable children.
不,我明白,但我们会把一切安排妥当的。
No, I understand, but we will have everything in place.
——你好吗?喂?
– Hello? Hello?
是的。至少我能来见个面吗?
Yes. May I at least come and meet?
谢谢你接见我。
Thank you for seeing me.
我怎能抗拒呢?
How could I resist?
你要把孩子们带出布拉格。
You’re offering to get children out of Prague.
很多人。
A lot of them.
这是正确的。
That is correct.
希♥特♥勒♥知道你在帮他会很高兴的
Hitler will be thrilled to know you’re helping him
从该地区消灭犹太人
eradicate Jews from the region.
与…恕我直言,我要搬家了
With… With respect, uh, I’m moving children
所有的信仰和没有。
of all faiths and none.
将他们与家人分开,
Separating them from their families,
也许是因为他们的宗教信仰?
perhaps from their religion?
把他们安置在安全的家里,
Accommodating them in safe homes,
和寄养家庭一起。
with families in foster homes.
犹太人的寄养家庭?
Jewish foster homes?
我不知道。
I don’t know.
我认为现在这不是一个问题。
I don’t think that’s a question for now.
但这是我要问的问题。
But it’s a question I’m asking.
你不是这张桌子上唯一的人
You are not the only person at this table
关心犹太儿童的福祉
concerned about the well-being of Jewish children.
伦敦的家长们正在做准备
Parents in London are preparing
把他们的孩子送出城
to send their children out of the city
一旦发生战争,就转移到安全地带。
to safety in the event of a war.
我的提议也一样。
What I’m proposing is no different.
你的孩子会受到保护
Your children would be protected
并在安全后尽快回到家人身边。
and returned to their families as soon as it’s safe.
你是犹太人吗,温顿先生?
Are you Jewish, Mr Winton?
你为什么这么问?
Why would you ask that?
因为我想知道为什么一个人会承担
Because I wonder why a person would undertake
这是一项艰巨的任务
this daunting task for people
他并没有真正效忠的人,
to whom he has no real allegiance,
在一个他不属于的地方。
in a place where he does not belong.
你是伦敦来的股票经纪人
You’re a stockbroker from London
我想过着舒适的生活。
with a comfortable life, I presume.
你做了一些调查。
You’ve done some research.
这是一件严肃的事情。那么,你为什么要这么做?
It is a serious matter. So, why are you doing this?
我的意思是,你是谁,温顿先生?
What I mean is, who are you, Mr Winton?
嗯…
Well…
我父亲的家人
My father’s family
19世纪70年代从德国来到伦敦。
came from Germany to London in the 1870s.
就在几个月前,我们还是韦特海姆家的。
Till just a few months ago, we were Wertheims.
我们经历了上次战争
We went through the last war
有一个德国姓氏和我的母亲……
with a German surname and my mother…
我妈再也受不了了,所以…
my mother couldn’t stand doing it again, so…
我的祖父母都是犹太人。
And my grandparents on both sides were Jewish.
但我是在英国国教受洗的。
But I was baptised in the Church of England.
所以,
So,
我不知道你会怎么叫我。
I don’t know what you’d call me.
我会叫你犹太人。
I would call you a Jew.
我认为自己是欧洲人,
I consider myself a European,
一个不可知论者,
an agnostic,
和一个社♥会♥主♥义♥者。
and a Socialist.
这里有孩子,
There are children here,
生活在田野里,在露天,在……在…在泥……
living in fields, in the open, in… in… in mud…
最糟糕的冬天还在后面
The worst of winter’s still to come
在纳粹入侵的威胁下
and under the threat of Nazi invasion.
我看过这个
I have seen this
我无法视而不见。
and I cannot unsee it.
因为我也许能做点什么,
And because I may be able to do something about it,
我必须。
I must.
至少试一试。
At least try.
你提出的任务
The task you propose
需要钱和签证。
requires money and visas.
我没有。然而。
I don’t have them. Yet.
但我会抓住他们的。
But I’ll get them.
如果我把这些孩子交给你,
If I send these children to you,
我把他们的性命交给你了。
I’m placing their lives in your hands.
一个非常重大的责任。
A very great responsibility.
最后,温顿先生
So, in the end, Mr Winton,
这是一个信任的问题。
it is a question of trust.
希伯来语里有句谚语。
In Hebrew, there is a saying.
不要开始你完成不了的事情。
Don’t start what you can’t finish.
7946年汉普斯特德。
Hampstead, 7946.
妈妈吗?
Mother?
尼基!很高兴听到你的声音。
Nicky! So good to hear you.
听着,我不能待太久。
Now, listen, I can’t be long.
不,当然不是。不,嗯…
No, of course not. No, uh…
你还好吗?
But are you all right?
你安全吗?
Are you safe?
我很好。
I’m perfectly fine.
你听起来不太有说服力。
You don’t sound very convincing.
告诉我你要回家了,好吗?
Just tell me you’re coming home, yes?
是的,是的,现在,听着。
Yes, yes, now, listen.
我需要你帮我做件事。
I need you to do something for me.
告诉我。
Tell me.
我担心这不会很容易。
And I’m afraid it’s not going to be easy.
你好,鲁迪,我想发一封电报。
Hello, Rudi, I’d like to send a telegram.
好的,当然可以,先生,请稍等。
Yes, certainly, sir, just a moment.
哈特先生,H-A-R-T…
To, Mr Hart, H-A-R-T…
“H-A-R-T。”
“H-A-R-T.”
在股票经纪人克鲁斯兄弟公♥司♥。
At Crews Brothers, stockbrokers.