Actresses have good memories.
女演员的记性都很好
You want a drink?
你想喝一杯吗?
I’m having one.
我要喝一杯
Margo.
马戈
Yes, miss? That’s all for now. You can go.
什么事 小姐? 没事了 你可以走了
All right, miss.
好的 小姐
She called you “miss.”
她叫你小姐
You never got married?
你一直没有结婚?
No.
没有
You live alone?
你一直单身?
No.
不是
Where were you?
你去了哪里?
I was out of town.
我离开了这个城市
Have you been back long?
你回来很长时间了?
A couple of days.
才几天
Are you staying?
你打算留下吗?
That depends.
看情况
Why do you want to see me?
为什么你想见我?
Two reasons.
两个理由
First,I wanted to see if you did the right thing,turning me down to become an actress.
第一 想看你是不是做对了 离开我去当演员
Well?
说下去
You did. You’re terrific.
你做对了 你做得很好
“Age cannot wither her.”
“岁月无法改变她的容颜”
It’s like the play was written for you.
这戏就像专为你而写
What was the other reason?
另一个理由是什么?
The other reason…
另一个理由是…
is to decide whether I should go to a party tomorrow night
决定我是不是要参加明晚的聚会
Party?
聚会?
Yeah, on Long Island.
对 在长岛
A Secretary Bailey.
白利部长
Do you know Secretary Bailey?
你认识白利部长?
No.
不
But I was invited anyway.
但我收到邀请
If you don’t know each other, why were you invited?
既然你们不认识 为什么邀请你?
I don’t know.
我不知道
I thought you might know why.
我以为你可能知道原因
Me?
我?
Why me?
我怎么会知道?
Because you know him.
因为你认识他
Who is it? It’s me, David.
是谁? 是我 大卫
No, David. Can I come in?
不 大卫 我能进来吗?
No. Just wait outside, I’ll call you.
在外面等着 我待会叫你
Okay, I’ll be right here.
好吧 我等着
What does Bailey want from me? You came to ask me that?
白利要我做什么? 你来就为问这个?
Why’d he send me an invitation? I don’t know.
为什么他要邀请我? 我不知道
Why should I know about your invitations?
我怎么会知道为什么邀请你?
I don’t know anything.
我什么都不知道
What do you want? Why did you come here?
你要我做什么? 你为什么来这里?
I know nothing.
我什么都不知道
Now you’re a lousy actress.
你现在又变成了一个差劲的演员
Who is Secretary Bailey?
白利部长到底是谁?
Secretary Bailey is a rich businessman.
白利是个富有的商人
He came to the United States as an immigrant…
他来美国时只是个穷移♥民♥…
and made a lot of money in San Francisco and L.A.,
在旧金山和洛杉矶赚了很多钱
where he’s lived for 30 years.
在那儿他生活了三十年
I know all that. It’s all in the papers. What else is there?
这些我知道 报纸上都有 还有呢?
He married a very wealthy woman.
他娶了一位非常富有的女人
They had a child.
他们有一个孩子
She died when the child was born.
孩子生下来她就去世了
A few years ago, he went into politics. Moved here.
后来他弃商从政 迁居到此
That’s history. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about now.
那都是过去的事情 我说的是现在
Right now he’s in trouble.
现在他遇到了麻烦
Just tell me you’ve been living with him all these years,
你为何不告诉我 这些年你一直和他一起
and you’re his lover.
你是她的情人
Age can wither me, Noodles.
岁月改变了我 面条
We’re both getting old.
我们两个都老了
All that we have left now are our memories.
我们现在唯一留下的 是我们的回忆
If you go to that party on Saturday night,
如果你去参加星期六晚上的聚会
you won’t have those anymore.
你连回忆也不会留下
Tear up that invitation.
撕掉邀请函吧
There’s an exit back this way.
那儿有一个出口
Noodles, go through it.
面条 走吧
Keep walking.
向前走
Don’t turn around.
不要回头
Please, Noodles.
求你了 面条
I’m begging you. Please.
我恳求你
Are you afraid that I’ll turn into a pillar of salt?
你担心我会变成盐柱?
If you go out that door, yes.
如果你从这扇门出去 是的
This is Secretary Bailey’s son.
这是白利部长的儿子
His name’s David, just like yours.
他的名字叫大卫 和你一样
Please go in.
请进
What are you waiting for?
你还等什么?
I don’t understand, Mr. Bailey.
我不明白你的意思 白利先生
Sit down, Noodles.
请坐 面条
Make yourself comfortable.
请随意一点
I’m glad you accepted my invitation.
我很高兴 你接受我的邀请
Well, I was curious.
我是因为好奇
So many important people in one place.
我从没在别处 同时见到这么多大人物
Yes. Well, the rats usually desert a sinking ship.
对 老鼠们总会抛弃正在沉没的船
But in my case, they appear to be flocking onboard.
但目前 他们是先跑到甲板上
Yeah, well, I read about your troubles in the newspapers.
我在报上看见你遇到了麻烦
But a man in your position, with all your power and all your privileges…
但像你有如此地位的人 有权 有势
has to assume a certain amount of responsibility…
就必须考虑到自己所承担的一份责任…
a certain amount of risk.
一份风险
Why’d you ask me to come here, Mr. Bailey?
你为什么邀请我来 白利先生?
That invitation doesn’t mean a goddamn thing, and you know it.
那邀请函没有任何意义 你明白这点
All that counts is what was in that suitcase.
有意义的是那只箱子里的东西
The money and the contract.
那笔钱和那份协议
It didn’t say who the contract was on, though.
但那份协议并没有署名
Haven’t you figured that out yet?
你还没想明白吗?
You, Mr. Bailey?
你呢 白利先生?
I haven’t had a gun in my hand for many, many years.
我已经不拿枪好多年了
My eyes aren’t too good,
我视力不好
even with my glasses. My hands shake.
戴眼镜也看不清 我的手总是抖
And I wouldn’t want to miss. Cut the bullshit, Noodles.
我不希望失手 少说废话 面条
I’m already a dead man.
我已经死定了
At least give me the chance to settle the debt that I owe to you.
至少你要给我还清欠你账的机会
I’ll never make it before the investigating committee.
我不会把机会留给调查委员会
They’re scared I’ll implicate the whole bunch of ’em.
他们最怕的是我牵连到他们所有人
They gotta get rid of me.
他们必须要除掉我
Today is as good a day as any.
还不如在今天了结一切
You do it, Noodles.
你来做 面条
You’re the only person I can accept it from.
死在你手上 我心甘情愿
You see, I found out where you were.
你知道 我找到了你
I brought you back here for this.
我把你请来就是为这个
To even the score between you and me.
了结你我之间的恩怨
You can get out through there.
你可以从那里出去
It leads right down to the street. Nobody will see you.
那儿直通向大街 没人会看见你
I don’t know what you’re talking about.
我不知道你在说什么
You don’t owe me a thing.
你什么也不欠我
Your eyes were too full of tears to see it wasn’t me burned up on that street.
你眼里充满泪水 所以没看出那尸体不是我
It was somebody else.
而是别的人
You were too shocked to realize that the cops were in on it too.
你没有想到警♥察♥也是我的同谋
That was a syndicate operation, Noodles.
这是一个串通好的阴谋 面条
You’re crazy.
你疯了
You said that to me once before, a long time ago.
你以前对我说过这话 很久以前
My mind was never as clear as it was at that moment.
但我的头脑从没像当时那样清醒
I took away your whole life from you.
我夺去了你的一生
I’ve been living in your place.
我取代了你的位置
I took everything.
我夺走了一切