Well, you’d do exactly the same thing
你也会这么做的
if you actually had a heart.
我不知道她哪里来的顽固
I don’t know where she gets her stubbornness.
无法想象
Can’t imagine.
你今天过得怎么样
So, how was your day?
历史告诉我们女性
“History discloses that woman
一直如同于男性的附庸物
“has always been dependent upon man.
像孩子一般 需要特别照顾
“Like children, she needs special care.
而这证明了立法上的分歧
This justifies a difference in legislation…”
穆勒诉俄勒冈州 有关土地法的案子
Muller v. Oregon, the law of the land.
或者布拉德威尔起诉伊利诺伊州
Or Bradwell v. Illinois.
女性的命运是
“The destiny of woman is the benign offices
完成贤妻良母的职责
“of wife and mother.
这是造物主的法则
This is the law of the Creator.”
我正在写这个案件陈述
I’m writing this brief
尝试去引用相似的案例
and citing the same cases with the exact same precedents
就像是我们的前人做的那样
as-as everyone before us.
马蒂 如果这就是我们能做的全部
Marty, if this is what we go in with,
我们会输的
we’re gonna lose.
等等
Wait, wait, wait, wait. Wait, wait, wait.
我来吧
I got it. I got it.
至少她没在听门基乐队
At least she’s not listening to The Monkees.
我很忙
I’m busy.
过来
Come here.
我还好
I’m fine.
我可以像她一样坚强
I can be as tough as she is.
妈真的很霸道
She’s a bully.
她想要所有人都意识到她的聪明
And she needs everyone to know how smart she is.
你想要妈变得不那么聪明吗
Do you want Mom to stop being smart?
我希望她可以不一直在人前炫耀
I want her to stop rubbing it in everyone’s face all the time.
祖母西莉亚在你母亲像你这么大的时候去世了
Grandma Celia died when Mom was about your age.
但直到她去世的前夕
But up until her dying breath,
他们会一起读书
they would read together,
一起讨论想法…
debate ideas together…
她教会你妈妈去质疑一切
and she taught your mom to question everything.
简 她不是故意在欺负你
She’s not trying to bully you, Jane.
她只是不想让你觉得自己很渺小
She just doesn’t want you to feel small.
她是想把祖母教给她的东西教给你
She wants to give you what her mom taught her.
她就是这样
That’s how she…
展示她的心意
shows her heart.
她还好吗
Is she okay?
她会没事的
She’ll be fine.
这太愚蠢了
This is stupid.
你是那个说我应该待在学校的人
You’re the one who said I’m supposed to be in school.
如果你想写一篇关于伟大的美国律师的文章
If you’re gonna write about great American lawyers,
你不如直接去见一位
you may as well meet one.
你们看上去迷路了
You ladies look lost.
有事直说
Well, spit it out.
凯恩尼女士 我们是来见您的
Miss Kenyon, w-we’re here to see you.
我尝试去预约一次会面
I tried to make an appointment…
我现在就在这 我时间不多
Well, here I am. I don’t have all day.
我想问的有关于格温德琳·霍伊特的案子
It’s about Gwendolyn Hoyt.
如果有关这事 我无可奉告
In that case, I have no interest in talking to either one of you.
我 我手头有个案子
I’m-I’m arguing a case.
案子审理中的性别歧视
Sex discrimination
违反了法律之下人人平等的原则
violates the Equal Protection principle.
平等保护是为了给予黑人平等
Equal Protection was coined to grant equality to the Negro,
然而令人沮丧的失败了
a task at which it has dismally failed.
你凭什么认为女性平权会做得更好
What makes you think women would fare any better?
拜托 如果我们能够谈谈
Please, if we could just talk for…
你想知道我是怎么搞砸的 是这样吗
You want to know how I blew it… is that it?
我是怎么做的
What I’d do differently?
怎么 你认为你能改变这个国家吗
Why? You think you can change the country?
你应该寄希望她那一代
You should look to her generation.
他们走上街头 要求变革
They’re taking to the streets, demanding change,
就像我们为投票而战时一样
like we did when we fought for the vote.
而我们的错误是误以为我们已经赢了
Our mistake was thinking we’d won.
我们开始请求平等
We started asking, “please,”
就好像民权是法官分发的糖果一样
as if civil rights were sweets to be handed out by judges.
抗♥议♥很重要
Protests are important
但如果法律不曾改变
but changing the culture means nothing
文化的改变将毫无意义
if the law doesn’t change.
作为一名律师 你必然理解这一点
As a lawyer, you must believe that.
让我猜猜
Let me guess.
你是个教授 是吗
You’re a professor, aren’t you?
是啊
Yeah.
知识渊博 却毫无智慧
Ton of knowledge and no smarts.
妈妈 我们该走了
Mom, we should go.
你想要建议吗 我给你条建议
You want advice? Here it is.
告诉你的当事人她在法庭上找不到平等
Tell your client she won’t find equality in a courtroom.
我的客户叫查尔斯·摩里兹
My client’s name is Charles Moritz.
真可爱
That’s cute.
他雇了一个护士来照顾他的母亲 但是
He hired a nurse to take care of his mother, but…
他被剥夺了保姆免税的权力
he was denied a caregiver deduction on his taxes.
他从未结过婚
He’s never been married.
你发现一个单身汉在家照顾他的母亲
You found a bachelor taking care of his mother at home.
法官们肯定表现了对他的厌恶
The judges will be repulsed by him.
感觉任何事情都有一个开始
Feeling anything is a start.
你说你叫什么名字来着
What did you say your name was?
鲁斯·巴德·金斯伯格
鲁斯 Bader Ginsburg.
不管怎么说
Well…
抱歉了 金斯伯格教授
sorry, Professor Ginsburg.
可能会有那么一天吧
Maybe someday.
但这个国家还没准备好
But the country isn’t ready.
记住 先改变思想
Change minds first,
再改变法律
then change the law.
不好意思
If you’ll excuse me,
市长决定重新命名一个社区
the mayor’s decided to rename the neighborhood.
所以现在开♥发♥商把30个家庭赶出了
So now a developer is kicking 30 families out of the building
他十年前就放弃了的大楼
he abandoned ten years ago.
SoHo 谁听说过这么可笑的事物
SoHo. Who ever heard of such a ridiculous thing?
我知道她是你的英雄
I know she’s your personal hero and all,
– 但她有些婊气 – 不 她令人肃然起敬
– but she’s kind of a bitch.- No, she’s formidable.
多萝西·凯恩尼一直在奋力争取妇女权利
Dorothy Kenyon has been fighting for women’s rights
公民权利以及劳工权利
and civil rights and labor rights her entire career.
她并不总赢
She didn’t always win,
但她绝对会被当作一回事
but she made damn sure she was taken seriously.
她没能帮到你
She didn’t help you.
你现在要怎么做
What are you gonna do now?
这件事有正确的动机 有适合的客户 但是…
It’s the right cause, it’s the right client, but…
一个多世纪以来 女性一直在同样的争论上失利
women have been losing the same argument for over a century.
认真讲
Well…
只是因为你在一百年前就输了
just because you lost a hundred years before you started
难道就有理由不去争取胜利了吗
is no reason not to try to win.
简 这话说得很有道理啊
Jane, that was very wise.
你知道谁先说的吗
You know who said it first?
阿提克斯·芬奇
Atticus Finch.
快点
Quick.
穿得不错啊 女士们
Hey, looking good, ladies!
无视他们就好
Just ignore them.
如果你们淋湿了 我们可以让你们暖和点
Hey, we’ll keep you warm if you’re getting wet.
是吗 那还真不错
Oh, yeah? Real nice!
你也用这张嘴亲你妈吗 混♥蛋♥
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, asshole?
妈 你不能让男孩子这样对你说话
Mom, you can’t let boys talk to you like that.
出租车
Taxi!
妈 快点
Mom, come on.
你要湿透了
You’re getting soaked.
看看你 简
Look at you, Jane.
你是个思想解放 无所畏惧的女孩子
You’re a liberated, fearless young woman.
二十年前 你不可能成为现在的样子
20 years ago, you couldn’t have been who you are today.
多萝西·凯恩尼错了 时代在改变