Thank you.
– 摩里兹先生 – 金斯伯格女士
– Mr. Moritz. – Mrs. Ginsburg.
你来早了些
Um, you’re early.
您若不方便的话我可以十分钟后再来
Uh, I-I can come back in ten minutes if you prefer.
不 你倒也不如
No, you might as…
不如现在进来吧 然后讲讲你的看法吧
might as well come in now and have your say.
请脱鞋
Shoes off, please.
直接进来吧
Just come on in.
– 妈 你吃完了吗 – 还没呢
– Are you done, Mom? – No. Not yet.
– 你想要 – 我吃完啦 麻烦了
– You want your… – I’m done, thanks.
– 你想要填你的纵横字谜吗 – 好啊
– You want your crossword? – Yeah.
– 好的 – 帮我拿过来吧
– Okay. – Please.
来 给你
Here you go.
母亲
Mom.
– 嗯 – 这位是金斯伯格女士
– Uh-huh. This is Mrs. Ginsburg.
她就是我跟你提起过的那名纽约律师
She’s the New York lawyer I told you about.
摩里兹女士 您好
Mrs. Moritz, hello.
我以为她会更高大些
I thought she would be bigger.
– 我 – 额 你可以先坐下
– I… – Uh, y-you can have a seat.
来 拿好了
Uh, here. Here you go.
你要放大镜吗
Do you want your magnifier?
– 是的 – 嗯 好的
– Yeah, please. – Yeah. Okay.
放这了
There you go. All right.
– 要喝的吗 – 嗯
– You want a drink? – Uh-huh.
我看您曾经是个鼓手长
I-I see you were a drum major.
我曾担任过指挥
I was a twirler.
那是很久以前的事了
That was a thousand years ago.
摩里兹先生 关于您的案子
Mr. Moritz, about your case…
我这甚至谈不上是个案子
I don’t have a case.
有四个律师都跟我这么说
Four lawyers told me so.
至于那个法官
And that judge…
蒂金斯
Tietjens…
他基本上认定我为偷税者
he basically called me a tax cheat.
你是吗
Are you?
我从不作弊欺骗 无论在什么事情上
I never cheated at anything in my life.
塔斯马尼亚岛上的卵生动物 八个字母拼成
“Tasmanian egg-layer.” Eight letters.
妈 现在不是时候
Not now, Mom.
用你自己的话来说
Tell me in your own words,
你为什么要请保姆
why did you hire a nurse?
如果你不曾照顾过生病的父母
If you’ve never cared for an ailing parent…
我照顾过
I have.
那么你就会知道
Then you know.
有着帮其穿衣洗澡上厕所等等事情要做
Between the dressing and the bathing and the toilet,
这不是一个人可以承担的任务
it’s not a task for one person,
特别是还有全职工作时
especially if you have a day job.
如果没有科丽塔的帮忙
If it wasn’t for Cleeta, uh
我便只能将母亲送去养老院了
I’d have to put Mom in a home.
所以你把科丽塔的工资从你的税收中删去了
So you deducted Cleeta’s salary on your taxes.
法官说免税政策写得很清楚
The judge said the tax code was clear.
保姆的减税只提供给女性
Caretaker’s deduction was available to all women,
以及丧偶和伴侣生活无法自理的男性
but only to men who had wives who were incapacitated or dead
还有离异者
or were divorced.
而你至今未婚
And you’ve never been married?
– 是的 – 立法者甚至无法想象
– No.- The men who wrote that law couldn’t even fathom
居然存在一位主动选择
that a bachelor, choosing to take care
照顾居家老人的单身人士
of a parent at home, might exist.
生活于塔斯马尼亚岛上的卵生生物
“Tasmanian egg-layer,”
第二个字符是L
second letter: “L.”
– 妈 现在不是时候
– Mom, I’ll help you in a little bit.
试试 鸭嘴兽
How about “platypus”?
妙啊
Ah! Ah.
我是个推销员 金斯伯格女士
I’m a salesman, Mrs. Ginsburg,
我知道我被出♥卖♥♥♥了
and I know when I’m being sold.
恕我直言 你的案子仅仅只涉及了296刀
With due respect, you have $296 at issue.
我并非为钱而接下这个案子
I’m not here for the money.
如果你同意我们会免费接下这个案子
We’d represent your appeal pro bono if you’ll let us.
所以你的意思是法官错了吗
So… the judge was wrong?
摩里兹先生
Mr. Moritz…
真正错的是法律本身
the law is wrong.
谢谢您 我有些饿了
Thank you. I was hungry.
如果不是为了钱
If it’s not for the money…
你为什么愿意接下我的案子呢
why are you here?
美国宪法第十四修正案
The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution
申明法律之下人人平等
says all people must be treated equally under the law.
然而我甚至无法数清有多少
Yet there are… I don’t know how many laws
如同这个保姆免税法案一样且未被废除的法律
like the caregiver deduction that say, in effect,
声称男主外女主内
women stay home, men go to work,
而其理应保持下去
and that it should stay that way forever.
我希望说服联邦法♥院♥
I want to convince the federal courts
这些陈旧而迂腐的法律是不符合宪法的
that those laws are unconstitutional.
你要如何去改变这一切呢
How do you do that?
一步步来
One case at a time.
从你开始
Starting with yours.
所以我的案子只是个试验吗
So I’m a guinea pig?
并非如此
No, sir.
你是那个走在乐队最前列
You’re the man marching out ahead of the band,
引领众人的先驱
leading the way.
就像是你过去任鼓手长时做的那样
Just like that drum major you used to be.
我投入了大量的人脉和声望
I’ve invested a lot of my own reputation
来帮你铺平前路 而你现在正走在成为
to building up your career, and now you’re on track
公♥司♥历史上最为年轻的合伙人
to be the youngest partner in the history of the firm.
但你却冒着失去一切的风险
And you want to risk that
去接一个可笑的案子
for some cockamamy case?
汤姆 我实际上因合同规定而不得不
Tom, I’m contractually obligated to ask
接受外来的案子 而我只是在要求去
to take outside work, and I’m asking, but…
不要说了 看在上帝的份上
Okay, for God sakes
你为何非要趟这浑水
you’re traipsing into this for what?
只是为了让你的妻子
So your wife can
感觉自己是个真正的律师吗
feel like a real lawyer?
她是个真正的律师 汤姆
She is a real lawyer, Tom.
你想支持鲁斯 那就说出事实
You want to support Ruth, tell her the truth.
– 什么事实 – 这本就是赢不了的案子
– Which is?- The case is unwinnable.
国会想怎么收税都可以
Congress can write whatever taxes it wants.
根本不可能从宪法上攻击他们
That’s not open to constitutional attack.
或者你会这么说只是从来没有人
Or maybe you just say that because no one’s been able
成功过
to successfully do it before.
天哪 马蒂
Oh, Marty.
那好吧 你可以试试 但是
Fine. Try, but…
你若是失败了 丢了公♥司♥的脸
when you lose and you embarrass our firm,
迎接你的可能是职业生涯堕入深渊
just be ready for your career to come crashing back to earth.
好的 知道了 还有谢谢啦 汤姆
Okay, noted, noted. And thank you, Tom.
– 感谢你的同意 – 好自为之吧
– Thank you. Thank you. – Yeah, yeah, yeah.
不 谋杀不能被宽恕
No! Murder can never be condoned,
– 尤其是对于一个律师来说 – 这有关正义
– least of all by a lawyer.- It’s called justice.
对啊 但汝之正义彼之砒霜
Yeah, what’s just to you may not be just to me or to someone else.
你明白我的本意
You know what I’m talking about.
– 我回来啦 – 你为什么不愿承认
– Hello, family unit.- And would it kill you to admit
我可能做了件正确的事
that maybe I actually did something right?
– 这篇论文能拿A – 当然
– This is an “A” paper.- Yeah, of course it is.
你文笔不错 我只是觉得这文章需要多琢磨
You’re a beautiful writer. It just needs more work.
不要跟我说你们为了杀死一只知更鸟
Please tell me you aren’t going 15 rounds
争论了这么久
over To Kill a Mockingbird.
爸 你可以说服妈
Daddy, can you please tell Mom that Atticus Finch
阿提克斯·芬奇可以被视为楷模吗
can be a role model.
他掩饰了鲍勃·尤厄尔的谋杀
He covers up Bob Ewell’s murder.
他是个糟糕的律师
He’s a terrible lawyer.
– 为什么 只因为是你说的 – 不 不只是我
– Why? ‘Cause you say so?- No, not me.
这是美国律师协会标准规范101
Canon 1 of the American Bar Association’s Model Code of Responsibility.
你在说些什么
What are you talking about?!
这叫做法律道德
It’s called legal ethics.
好吧 如果你真的有良心的话