琪琪 琪琪
琪琪. 琪琪.
第21页
Page 21.
我不看税务法庭的案件
I don’t read tax court cases.
看看这个
Read this one.
美国国税局驳回了一个申请人为了雇一个护士
The IRS denied a petitioner a tax deduction
来照顾他病弱的母亲的减税申请
to hire a nurse to take care of an invalid mother.
听起来很无聊
Sounds like a real page-turner.
– 问我原因 – 马蒂 我还要准备一篇演讲稿
Ask me why. Marty, I have a lecture to write.
好吧
Okay.
因为原告是个男人
It’s because the petitioner is a man.
马蒂
马蒂…
税法第214条
Section 214 of the tax code
认为看护者必需是一名女性
assumes a caregiver has to be a woman.
这是一条针对男性的
This is sex-based discrimination
性别歧视
against a man.
可怜的家伙
Poor guy.
如果是联邦法♥院♥
If a federal court
制定了这条法律 那它就违反了宪法
ruled that this law is unconstitutional,
那它就可能为其他案例裁决提供先例
then it could become the precedent others refer to
和依据
and build on.
无论是针对男性还是女性 它
Men and women both. It-it…
它可能会推♥翻♥这整个
It could topple the whole damn system
该死的歧视性法律体系
of discrimination.
怎么了
What?
没有什么 只是看到你对税法燃起的热情
Nothing. I’m just thrilled at your newfound enthusiasm
我很兴奋
for tax law.
马蒂
马蒂.
哦 马蒂
Oh, Marty.
我们需要接下这个案子
We need to take this case.
他当然会说他反对轰炸柬埔寨
Of course he says he’s against bombing Cambodia.
我想知道的是 如何解决金融债务问题
I want to know, where’s the bill to defund it?
充满了贬低与嘲弄 但这居然还是公共演讲
It’s derogatory, it’s taunting, but it’s speech.
你好 我约了梅尔·伍尔夫
Hi. Mel Wulf is expecting me.
他想克制住尼克松 或者他希望
He wants to get his hands on Nixon, or he hopes
– 越共能那样做 – 但为什么 有什么区别
– the Viet Cong do? – Well, why? What’s the difference?
五年监禁
Five years in prison.
走吧
Go.
哦
♪ Oh…
我是个橡子矮又圆
♪ I’m an acorn short and round
躺在泥泞的土地上
♪ Lying on the dusty ground
所有人都会踩一脚
♪ Everybody steps on me
这就是为什么我会裂开 看啊
♪ That is why I’m cracked, you see
我是一个坚果
♪ I’m a nut
我是个坚果 我是个坚果
♪ I’m a nut, I’m a nut
来吧 我是一个坚果
Come on. ♪ I’m a nut
我是个坚果 我是个坚果
♪ I’m a nut, I’m a nut
我是坚果 我是坚果 我是坚果
♪ I’m a nut, I’m a nut, I’m a nut
哦哦
♪ Oh
我是个坚果 但这不是罪
♪ I’m a nut, but that’s no sin
因为我在切纳瓦营正适合
♪ ‘Cause at Camp Che-Na-Wah I fit right in.
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
欢迎切纳瓦营的全能营长
three-time Camp Che-Na-Wah All-Around Camper,
鲁斯 “琪琪” 巴德
Ruth “Kiki” Bader.
对了 你们觉得这份工作很难吗
Oh, and for all you who think this job is hard,
我曾经给不超过13岁的小孩们判定过
I judged the 13-and-unders with
谁是彩弹枪战赢家呢
a color war trophy on the line.
回去工作
Back to work.
嘿 琪琪 有何高见
Hey, Kiki. What do you say?
你好 梅尔
Hi, Mel.
刚才很抱歉
Sorry about that.
你之前说你接了个案子
You said you had a case.
这可不是一个案子 这是
This is not a case… this is the opening salvo
打响新民权持久战的第一枪
on a 50-year war for a new class of civil rights.
– 是的 没错 – 我不能这么做
Yes, exactly. Huh. I can’t do this.
– 这超出了我的职责范围 – 什么
This is beyond my mandate. Wha…
亏你还是美国公民自♥由♥联盟呢
American Civil Liberties Union?
妇女权利也是公民权利
Women’s rights are civil rights.
我仍在因向焚毁征兵卡的人提供辩护
I’m still getting flack for defending
而受到指责
draft card burners.
这还是在正常行使抗♥议♥权力的前提下
And the right to protest actually exists.
女士优先
After you.
给
Here.
菲莉丝 帮我拿一杯
Phyllis, can I get a…?
马蒂怎么样
How’s Marty?
他很好
He’s fine.
仍然在为富人掠夺穷♥人♥
Still protecting the rich
提供保护吗
against the predations of the poor?
如果我们要上诉 法♥院♥需要同意
If we’re gonna appeal, the court needs to agree
这涉及到了宪法问题
there’s a constitutional handle here.
你是怎么说服这个人让你代理他的
How did you even convince this guy to let you represent him?
我会去联♥系♥他的
I-I’ll take care of that.
– 他还不知道吗 – 我一个人
He doesn’t know? Alone…
– 你在开玩笑吧 – 我一个人
Are you kidding me? Alone, the judges
没有办法从法官那里为我和马蒂赢得机会
may not give Marty and I the benefit of the doubt.
但如果你的名字和我们同时出现在简报上
But with your name alongside ours on the brief…
是啊
Yeah.
梅尔 你必须看到
Mel, you must see the…
这个案例所代表的可能性
the opportunity this case represents.
你认为法官会同情你
You think the judges are gonna be sympathetic
就因为他们都有前列腺
just ’cause they all have prostates?
男人和女人都在吃着同样的饭
Men and women all eat at the same lunch counters,
喝着同样的水 他们去同一所学校
they drink at the same water fountains, they go to the same schools…
女人不能去达特茅斯学院
Women can’t attend Dartmouth.
男人不能去史密斯学院
Men can’t go to Smith.
女警官不能在纽约的街道上巡逻
Women police officers can’t patrol New York City streets.
我们需要
We have to get…
我们需要用丈夫的名字
We have to get credit cards
申请信♥用♥卡♥
in our husbands’ names.
你们不是少数人口
You’re not a minority.
你们占了总人口的51%
You’re 51% of the population!
人们已经尝试过了 穆勒 高赛特
And it’s been tried. Muller, Goesaert.
还有一个是谁
Uh… what’s the other one?
那个拿着棒球棒的女的
The one with the woman with the baseball bat.
[指霍伊特诉佛罗里达州案,此案曾认为女性无需承担陪审员的义务]
– 格温德琳·霍伊特 – 格温德琳·霍伊特 没错
Gwendolyn Hoyt. Gwendolyn Hoyt. Exactly.
没错 而且从道德上讲 她们是对的
Yeah, and morally, they were right.
然而她们失败了
Yet they lost.
鲁斯
Ruth…
只靠道德赢得不了胜利
morality does not win the day.
看看你周围的例子
Look around you.
多萝茜·凯尼恩在一个案件中
Dorothy Kenyon could not get women equality
辩论了性别 凶杀与量刑时间
by arguing a case with sex, murder
都无法使妇女获得平等对待
and prison time on the line.
你和马蒂认为你能做到吗
You and Marty think you’re gonna do it
就凭这个男的和他的税
with this guy and his taxes?
接线员吗
Operator.
我 我需要一个号♥码
I-I… I need a number.
科罗拉多州丹佛市
Denver, Colorado.
快点 你会错过航♥班♥的
Come on, you’re gonna miss your flight.
我在丹佛的时候 你要负责从学校接詹姆斯回家
Now, you have to get James from school while I’m in Denver.
母亲 我跟你说过了 我和丹尼斯在创建我们的
Mom, I told you, Denise and I are starting our
– 意识觉醒互助组 – 等等我
– consciousness-raising group.- Wait. Please wait.
把詹姆斯带上
Take James with you.
你们会照顾好自己吗
Will you be all right?
会的 我们会安好的
Yeah. We’ll survive somehow.
拜拜 拜拜
Bye. Bye.
去大展拳脚吧
Go kick ass.
计价器走着呢
Meter’s running.
妈 再见
Bye, Mom.
一会儿见 妈
Bye. Bye, Mom.
麻烦您了