– 法官是受约束的… – 谢谢您
Judges are bound… Thank you.
不好意思 你需要帮助吗
Excuse me. May I help you?
我是马丁·金斯伯格的妻子
Um, I’m, uh, Martin Ginsburg’s wife.
我将会替他上课
I’ll be a… attending his classes for him.
再加上你自己的课
In addition to your own?
是的
Yes…
弗伦德教授
Professor Freund.
法官受优先权的约束
Judges are bound by precedence,
但他们不能忽视文化变革
but they cannot ignore cultural change.
法官不该被天气影响
A court ought not be affected by the weather of the day,
但会被时代的文化影响
but will be by the climate of the era.
等一下 等一下
Wait, wait, wait.
再说一次最后一段
Say that last part again.
法官不该被天气影响
“A court ought not be affected by the weather of the day,
但会被时代的文化影响
but will be by the climate of the era.”
你确定他这么说
And you’re sure he said that?
当然
Of course.
法律永远是不完善的
The law is never finished.
这是一项正在进行的工作
It is a work in progress…
并且永远都是
and ever will be.
布朗诉教育委员会
Brown v. The Board of Education…
圆括号♥ 1954
parentheses, 1954,
是最具革命性的
was the most revolutionary…
最高法♥院♥案件
Supreme Court case…
在上个世纪
in the last century.
代表奥利弗·布朗
Representing Oliver Brown,
瑟古德·马歇尔
Thurgood Marshall…
– 我没在听 – 教育法♥院♥
I’m not listening. …educated the court…
来 简
Come on, Jane.
就是这样 来吧 亲爱的
That’s it. Come on, sweetie.
好了
Okay.
一 二 三
One, two, three,

whoo!
一 二 三
One, two, three,

whoo!
要不要让爸爸休息一下
Should we give Daddy a rest?
有一天 这个小天使会在我们面前摔门
One day, this little angel’s gonna slam the door in our face
告诉我们 我们毁了她的生活
and tell us we’re ruining her life.
我本不该接受这份工作
I should have never taken the job.
这是一家很棒的公♥司♥
It’s a great firm,
而且纽约是法律世界的中心
and New York is the center of the legal universe.
这是你应得的
You earned it.
这是你应得的才对
You earned it.
我差点就活不下来了
I barely survived it.
我只是不想离开你和简
I just don’t want to be away from you and Jane.
你不会的
You won’t be.
我不会允许的
I won’t allow it.
我会说服他的
I’ll convince him.
说 祝你好运 妈妈
Say, “Good luck, Mommy.”
祝你好运 妈妈 待会儿见
Good luck, Mommy. See you later.
你想要哈佛法律学位
You want a Harvard law degree,
尽管你计划在哥伦比亚大学完成你的课程
though you plan to finish your coursework at Columbia?
你已经做得很好了 金斯伯格夫人
You would do well, Mrs. Ginsburg,
记住你能在这里已经是多么的幸运
to remember how fortunate you are to be here.
格里斯沃尔德院长 在法学院的第一年
Dean Griswold, between the first and third year
和第三年之间 哪一年是更具实质性
of law school, which is the more substantive,
更关键的
the more critical?
– 第一年 当然了 – 有个人
The first, of course. Yet when someone
作为二年级学生转入
transfers in as a second-year student,
在别的地方上了那些更重要的课
having taken those more important classes elsewhere,
他获得了学位
he’s allowed a degree.
– 这无关紧要 – 我来这里两年了
That’s irrelevant. I’ve been here two years.
我是班上的第一名
I’m first in my class.
你丈夫没有理由不给你钱
There is no reason your husband cannot provide for you
当你和孩子留在剑桥的时候
while you and the child remain in Cambridge.
去年 约翰·萨姆纳被批准
Last year, John Sumner was allowed
在巴尔的摩完成他的课程
to finish his coursework at Baltimore.
– 三年前 罗伊·帕克斯顿 – 完全不同的情况
Three years ago, Roy Paxton… Very different cases.
有什么不同 金斯伯格夫人
How are they different? Mrs. Ginsburg,
你没有必要转学
you have no compelling need to transfer.
马蒂的病可能会复发
Marty could relapse.
他克服了困难
He beat the odds,
但是医生说随时可能复发
but the doctors say it could happen at any time.
格里斯沃尔德院长
Dean Griswold…
这就是我的家庭情况
this is my family.
尽管如此
Nonetheless…
我们每个人都有自己的责任
we each have our responsibilities,
我的职责就是保护
and mine is to protect the distinction
哈佛大学法律学位的荣誉
of a Harvard law degree.
我不能强迫你留下
I can’t force you to stay.
但我也不会鼓励你离开
But I won’t reward you for leaving, either.
我的天呐
Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
班级第一名毕业
Graduating top of your class.
哈佛的法学评论
Law Review at Harvard…
还有歌♥伦比亚大学
and Columbia.
简直不敢想象
I didn’t even know that was possible.
谢谢你 格林先生
Thank you, Mr. Greene.
我学习很努力
I’ve worked hard.
你想要顶级的公♥司♥
Well, you want some white-shoe firm.
高薪的案件 复杂的法律手段
Big money cases, complex legal maneuvers…
不 我认为比伯和格林尼是最合适的选择
No, I think Bibler and Greene is the perfect fit.
你们去年处理了梅世破产案 说吧
You handled the Mercer bankruptcy last year. Come on.
你去过多少家公♥司♥了
How many have you been to?
他们都拒绝了你 对吧 有多少
They all turned you down, right? How many?
十个吗
Maybe ten?
十二个
Twelve.
一个女人 一位母亲 还是名犹太人
A woman, a mother, and a Jew to boot.
我很惊讶他们居然让你进了门
I’m surprised that many let you through the door.
一个让我去面试秘书处
One sent me to interview for the secretarial pool.
另一个告诉我
Another told me I’d be
我会忙于烘焙销♥售♥而效率低下
too busy at bake sales to be effective.
一名股东把顾客关在他俱乐部的更衣柜里
One partner closes his clients in the locker room at his club,
所以他说我会被排挤
so he said I’d be out of the loop.
上周 有人跟我说女律师容易情绪化
Last week, I was told women are too emotional to be lawyers.
当天下午又听到 那个作为班里第一名
Then that same afternoon, that a… a woman graduating
毕业的女人 肯定会成为真正的大人物
top of her class must be a real ballbuster
不可能是个好同事
and wouldn’t make a good colleague.
还有人问我什么时候生下一个孩子
I was asked when I’d have my next baby.
以及我是否还做安息
And whether I keep Shabbat.
有个面试官说我有份很好的简历
One interviewer told me I had a sterling résumé,
但他们去年已经雇了一个女人
but they hired a woman last year,
同时雇佣我们两个有什么意义呢
and what in the world would they want with two of us?
你肯定很生气
You must be livid.
我母亲告诉我不要受情绪摆布
Well, my mother told me not to give way to emotions.
胡说
Bullshit.
你生气了 很好 利用它
You’re angry. Good. Use it.
我得说 金斯伯格夫人
I have to say, Mrs. Ginsburg,
我对你印象很深刻
I’m very impressed.
格林尼先生…
Mr. Greene…
我想当律师
I want to be a lawyer.
我想在法庭上替我的客户陈述
I want to represent clients before the court
去寻求正义
in pursuit of justice.
你看得到 我在学校努力学习 我
You can see I-I worked hard through school, I…
我做了该做的一切 并且很出色
I did everything I was supposed to, and I excelled.
我发誓 我也会为你这样做
I swear it, I’ll do the same for you.
事实上 你知道 我们是 是一个
The fact is that, you know, we’re a-a…
团结亲密的公♥司♥ 像家人一样
close-knit firm, almost like family,
所以
and, uh…
那些妻子们
…the wives…
她们会嫉妒
they get jealous.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!