– Yeah. – Yeah.
噢对了 琪琪和我
Oh, uh, Kiki and I have
还要谈些事情
some stuff to discuss.
噢好的 我就不打扰你们了
Yes, of course. I’ll-I’ll get out of your way.
呃 见到你很高兴 鲁斯
Uh, it was a pleasure meeting you, Ruth.
或者说琪琪
Or Kiki.
呃 还有你 梅尔
Uh… Mel.
噢 差点忘了这个
Oh. Um, I… Ah. Don’t forget that.
可千万别忘了
Mustn’t forget that, yeah.
好一个蠢货
What a schmuck.
我要和里德庭辩
Let me argue Reed in court.
– 噢让我消停会儿吧 – 我在联邦法庭的经验
– Oh, give me a break. – I have no less experience
可不比艾伦·戴尔少
than Allen Derr in federal court.
– 你一丁点经验都没有 – 如果你想让我写辩词
– You have zero experience. – If you’re gonna use
– 就一定要让我上场 – 萨丽·里德雇他当律师
– my arguments… – He’s been Sally Reed’s lawyer
已经有三年了 她信任他
for three years; she trusts him.
她甚至不肯让我为她辩护
She wouldn’t even let me argue the case. Now, listen to me
听我说几句 我们现在要谈谈其他人
for a second… we have someone else to discuss.
厄尼·布朗今天早上打电♥话♥来了
Ernie Brown called this morning.
鉴于里德要出庭最高法♥院♥
In light of Reed going to the Supreme Court,
政♥府♥打算出点钱打发摩里兹案子和解
the government wants to settle the Moritz case for a dollar.
里德增加了我们案子的简介
Reed ups the profile of our case.
他们慌了
Th-They’re getting nervous.
我跟他们说你周一会去华盛顿把文件签了
I told them you’d be in D.C. on Monday to sign the paperwork.
你为什么要这么说
Why would you say that?
查理不想和解
Charlie won’t want to settle.
那就说服他和解
Well, convince him.
我才不会
I will not.
你先是拿走了我一半的辩词
First, you took half the argument away from me…
没人拿了你什么东西 鲁斯
Nobody took anything away from you, Ruth.
你又不是半夜被抢劫了 好吗
You weren’t robbed in the middle of the night. All right?
我是为了这个案子着想
I was giving you this opportunity
– 才给你这次机会的 – 你觉得是你给我的?
– for the good of the cause. – You think you gave this to me?
可不就是我给的吗 控制好你自己的情绪
In fact, I did. And get your emotions in check.
你先控控自己吧
You first.
艾伦会去最高法♥院♥辩论
Allen is gonna be arguing
时代改变了
in the Supreme Court that times have changed.
如果说一切照旧的话
We can’t afford the Tenth Circuit
我们可应付不来第十巡回法庭
saying that they haven’t.
上诉法♥院♥做的一些对查理有利的决定
Nothing would strengthen the argument more
– 会是我们辩论中最有力的武器 – 没错
– than the appeals court deciding for Charlie. – Yes,
要是真这样就好了 可现实很残酷
that would be very nice, but here in the real world,
– 尤其是要面对职业律师 – 你是觉得我能力不够吗
– with working lawyers… – You think I can’t be persuasive?
不 我这辈子从来没有笃定过什么
Oh, I’ve never been more certain
除了你的能力是真的不行 鲁斯
about anything in my life, Ruth.
你没资格让我就此退出
You don’t get to tell me when to quit.
你甚至在模拟法庭上
You couldn’t even make it through moot court
都已经那么丢人了
without embarrassing yourself.
你会败诉的 鲁斯 到那时候
You will lose, Ruth. And when you do,
女权运动的进程将会因为你倒♥退♥十年 甚至更多
you will set the women’s movement back ten years. More.
我们现在可是生死攸关
We are dodging a bullet here.
就你一个人还不明白吗
Are you the only one that can’t see that?
这些是艾伦上一次上诉时的辩护书
These are Allen’s briefs from the previous appeals.
把它们套进摩里兹的模板
Tie them into the framework of the Moritz brief.
你做好了我会检查的
I’ll review it when you’re done.
这是最高法♥院♥的辩护书
It’s a Supreme Court brief.
如果你不想做的话我可以指派其他人
I can assign it to someone else if that’s what you’d prefer.
噢对了 鲁斯
Oh, and-and, Ruth.
最好早点打电♥话♥给查理
Uh, the sooner you call Charlie, the better.
我早就有这个想法
I had this idea.
是什么
What’s that?
不过现在也不重要了
Well, it doesn’t matter now.
说吧
Tell me.
我们本可以把政♥府♥辩书里的附录E拿出来
We could have taken Appendix E from the government’s brief,
这部分冗长繁余
that entire comprehensive list of laws
区别对待两性
that differentiates between the sexes, and…
我们可以把它变成我们的打击对象
and turn it into our own hit list.
我们本可以在民权联盟开启一项特殊计划
We could have started a special project
一条一条地追溯那些法条
at the ACLU to go after those laws one by one,
追到立法机关 追到法庭法♥院♥
in the legislature, in the courts,
直到男女在法律意义上达到真正的平等
until women and men were genuinely equal under the law.
而我竟然一直只是说说而已 无关痛痒
And I’ve been running around claiming things have changed.
爸爸告诉我案子的事了
Daddy told me about the case.
为什么梅尔·伍尔夫这么混♥蛋♥
Why is Mel Wulf being such a dick?
他觉得我铁定会败诉
He thinks I’m gonna lose.
不可能的 荷赛 我的经验告诉我你不会败的
No way, Jose. Not in my experience.
作为摩里兹先生的律师
As Mr. Moritz’s lawyer, I’m…
告诉他这个提议是我的职业道德
I’m ethically bound to convey him the offer.
那你想要我帮你一起毁掉你的毕生心血
So would you like help taking apart your life’s work, or…
还是说你想自己干
is that something you’d rather do by yourself?

I…
我知道这个案子让
I know that this case, that…
我让工作搞乱了我们的生活
…that I disrupted our lives,
以及
and…
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
有什么好道歉的 你只是在做你的本职工作
Sorry for what? For-for doing your job?
做这些是为了谁呢
Who is it for…
如果不是为了我的话
if not for me?
他们会承认的对吧 说我不是个骗子
And they’ll say it, right? That I’m not a cheater,
– 而是法律的不公 – 不 查理
– that the law is unfair? – No, Charlie,
政♥府♥不会自己承认错误
the government won’t say that on its own.
但他们没承认的话 我是怎么胜诉的
But if they don’t say it, how will I have won?
你没胜诉
You-you haven’t.
但你 你拿到钱了
But you-you get the money.
那其他人呢
What about everyone else?
你来看我的时候你说
When you came to see me, you said…
查理 这只是对你的和解
Charlie, the settlement is only for you.
对其他人无效
No one else can benefit.
但我们是能赢的对吗
But could we win?
这个
Well…
是可以的
we could, and…
而且会影响世世代代
and the impact would last generations.
但是民权联盟认为
But the ACLU feels…
你最好接受这项提议
it’s best if you take the offer.
但我的律师是你 鲁斯
But you’re my lawyer, Ruth.
你觉得呢
What do you think?
– 噢 鲁斯 – 布朗教授
– Ah, Ruth. – Professor Brown.
快请进
Please come in.
格里斯沃尔德主任
Dean Griswold.
金斯伯格女士
Mrs. Ginsburg.
真高兴你的哈佛学历派上用场了
I’m pleased you found a use for your Harvard education.
事实上 我现在做的是我在哥伦比亚大学学的
Actually, what I’m doing now, I learned at Columbia.
鲁斯是我学生中准备最周全的
Ruth was always my most thoroughly prepared student.
真是急于自证啊
So much to prove.
这年头 女孩们和男人们一样绝望
These days, the girls are as hopeless as the men.
小简怎么样了
How’s little Jane?
也不小了
Not so little.
而且我们还有一个孩子 叫詹姆斯
And we have another. James.
两个孩子可不好对付吧
Mm, I’m sure they keep you busy.
是啊
Yes.
谁不是呢
Both of us.
厄尼把你的文书准备好了
Ernie has your paperwork ready.
我的客户对你们的提议感到十分激动
My client was very excited about your offer.
很好 非常好
Good. Good.
但是他还提出了一些条件
He did, however, have some conditions.
条件
Conditions?
什么条件
What kind of conditions?
首先 他想让你们
First of all, he’d like you to forgive
免除全部的钱
a hundred percent of the money.
和这里的这些钱无关
None of this one dollar business.
没问题

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!