-People should be able to pursue their passions. -Wrong, wrong.
你全都搞砸了 鲁斯
You’re screwing it up, Ruth!
你看过 他们诉文的序言吗
Have you… have you read the appendix attached to their brief?
你跑题了
You’re making the wrong case.
写这些法律的男人认为自己有特权
These are laws written by men who think we are privileged
从而顺理成章的逃避男人的义务
to be excused from men’s obligations.
但这不是特权 是牢笼
But it is not a privilege, it is a cage,
这些法律就是笼子上的栅栏
and these laws are the bars!
所以 这就是你要说的
So, that’s it?
你准备到时候就这么说吗
You’re gonna take them all on at the same time?
你问的问题啊
You asked the questions.
我问了你就一定得回答吗 鲁斯
Well, it doesn’t mean you have to fucking answer them, Ruth.
你这么说的话就正中对方的下怀了
You’re making the government’s case for them.
听着 你要么把矛头只指向一个人
Look, you either make this case about one man,
要么 你就等着败诉吧
or you lose.
在法官眼里 你说的不是
‘Cause to the judges, you’re not talking
抽象的女性
about women in the abstract.
而是他们的妻子
You’re talking about their wives,
在家里 可能正在 烤牛腩
at home, you know, baking briskets.
牛腩是炖的 不是烤的
You braise a brisket. You don’t bake it.
– 梅尔 差不多行了 – 不
-Perhaps that’s enough, Mel. -No.
我还没说完 杰瑞
I don’t think it is, Gerry.
你小的时候 又漂亮
Look, when you were a kid, you were pretty
又聪明伶俐 现在怎么变得像个
and you were smart as a whip, but you’re coming across
苦大仇深的泼妇 我都快不认识你了
as this bitter, unlikable shrew that I don’t even recognize.
如果你就这样去丹佛出庭 你输定了
And if that’s who shows up in Denver, you will blow it.
笑一笑会死吗
And would it kill you to smile?
这就是你的建议吗
That’s your advice? Just…
别管法官说什么 傻笑就行了
ignore the judges and smile?
这是我吃过最好吃的馅饼
Pâté is the best I’ve ever tasted.
你可以婉转点
You could evade.
女性应该当消防员吗
Should women be firefighters?
恕我直言 法官大人
“With all due respect, Your Honor,
我没有想过
“I haven’t considered it,
因为我的委托人不是一名消防员
because my client isn’t a firefighter.”
你也可以转移话题
Or you can redirect.
尊敬的法官 本案并不是在说消防员
“With respect, Judge, this case is not about firefighters.
而是纳税人 纳税总不需要
“It’s about taxpayers, and there’s nothing
纳税人天生具备男子气概吧
inherently masculine about paying taxes.”
或者开个玩笑
Or crack a joke.
法官大人 能把孩子成功养大的人
“Your Honor, anyone who’s raised a child
可不会被区区一座着火的建筑吓倒
“couldn’t possibly be intimidated by a burning building.”
然后把他们带回案子上来
And then bring them back to your case.
马蒂 你应该去做庭辩
Marty, you should do the oral arguments.
不不不
No, no, no.
鲁斯是性别法的专家
Ruth is the expert on gender law.
这个案子有一半都是税务
At least half this case is tax.
最重要的是查尔斯·摩里兹能胜诉
Uh, the most important thing is that Charles Moritz wins.
梅尔 我说了 不 别再提了
I said no, Mel. Drop it.
他们可以分工合作
They could split the time.
马丁先上
Martin goes first,
重点辩论税务部分
focuses the argument on tax.
然后鲁斯在上 讨论性别歧视
Then Ruth steps in, talks about gender.
– 宝丽 拿好 – 谢谢
-Pauli, here you go. -Thank you.
杰瑞 你的衣服
Gerry, this is yours.
梅尔
Mel. Mel.
没有人能比鲁斯·金斯伯格
There is no aspect of the law
更熟悉法律的那些条条框框
at which Ruth Ginsburg can be bested.
我不知道美国民权联盟是什么情况
I don’t know how things work at the ACLU, but if anyone
但在我的公♥司♥ 有人看不清这一点的话
at my firm couldn’t see that,
他们直接得走人
they would be fired.
异议已知悉 律师先生
Objection noted, counselor.
她半数都是在争论
She’s still arguing half.
这就是她
This is her…
听着 她写的是革命者的论点
Listen, she’s written a revolutionary argument,
但是写诉书还得学者来做 明白吗
but brief writing is an academic’s job. Okay?
庭辩要求律师能够
Oral arguments require a lawyer
掌控法官的思想
who can command a judge’s respect.
真正的上诉律师
A real appellate lawyer.
哦 你的小队该有多强大
Oh, what a team you’re gonna be.
这是一次很好的经历
It was a good experience.
我认为刚刚的练习非常有效
I think that was a very productive exercise.
我得去拜访一位募款人
I have to go to a fund-raiser.
宝丽 杰瑞 一起拼车去市中心吗
Pauli, Gerry, you want to split a cab downtown?
好啊
Sure. Sure.
团队不错啊
Good team, huh?
见到你很高兴 杰瑞
It’s good to see you, Gerry.
谢谢你能来
Thank you for coming.
– 拜拜 – 拜拜 很高兴见到你
– Bye-bye. – Bye. Bye. Great to see you.
拜拜
Bye.
你真是举重若轻
You have such a light touch.
对你来说 毫不费力 不是吗
It… it’s just effortless for you, isn’t it?
梅尔只是在激怒你
Uh… Mel was goading you.
他就是想让你应接不暇 那只是
He was trying to make you feel overwhelmed. That’s…
当然了 他就是个毫不留情的老刺头
Of course he was. He’s a relentless prick.
但这也改变不了我并没有准备好的事实
But it doesn’t change the fact that I’m not ready.
这不是你的错
It’s not your fault.
你从来没做过这种事
You’ve never done this before.
那我败诉了是不是也能跟查理这么说啊
Well, is that what I’m supposed to tell Charlie when I blow it in court?
你去丹佛带不带公共税收理论这本书
Do you want Theories in Public Taxation with you in Denver?
有马蒂在还用得着带书吗
Who needs a tax reference when you have Marty?
你带没带柯克诉委员会诉书啊
Did you pack the, uh… the Kirk v. Commission brief?
带了
Yes.
罗格斯事务所
Rutgers Law.
梅尔·伍尔夫找你
It’s Mel Wulf for you.
跟他说我不在
Just tell him I’m not here.
不好意思 先生
I’m sorry, Mr….
他说很着急
He says it’s urgent.
我来了 什么事这么着急
Yeah. What was so important?
很高兴跟你合作
I’m excited to work with you.
嘘 嘘 别说话
Ah-ah. Shh, shh. Ah-ah. No.
我明白
I understand.
她刚进来
She just walked in.
你也是
And to you, too.
好了
Okay.
鲁斯·金斯伯格 艾伦·戴尔
Ruth Ginsburg, Allen Derr.
你好
How do you do?
最高法庭刚刚宣布 他们将会授权
The Supreme Court just announced they’re gonna hear
爱达荷州高级法庭处理里德的上诉
Reed v. Reed on appeal from the Idaho Supreme Court.
那太好了
That’s fantastic.
里德先生很高兴能有这样的机会
Mrs. Reed is very excited for the opportunity.
噢 艾伦是萨丽·里德的律师
Uh, Allen’s Sally Reed’s lawyer.
那 民权联盟会帮忙吗
So… is the ACLU gonna help?
是你说这么做没错的 不是吗
Mm, you told me it was the right thing to do, right?
梅尔说没人比你
Mel says that no one knows this area
更了解这种法律了
of the law better than you.
鲁斯 你是我们的秘密武器
You’re our secret weapon, Ruth.
所以说
So…
你们想让我在最高法♥院♥出庭?
y-you want me… in the Supreme Court?
我 呃
I, uh… uh…
我跟艾伦说你会很乐意帮他写摘要
I-I told Allen you’d be eager to help him write his brief.
这样啊
Oh.
哎其实也就是
Well… basically,
把摩里兹的辩护书拿过来改几个说法就行了
take the Moritz brief and swap around the pronouns.
– 不就是这样吗 – 其实
– Isn’t that right? – Well, it’s a…
还要复杂一点
little more involved than that.
我开玩笑的
Joking.
好了 我们立马开始吧
All right, let’s start right away.
艾伦 好好享受这座城市吧
Allen, uh, enjoy the city. You should catch a show
– 一定要看场演出再走哦 – 哦 谢谢你
– while you’re here. – Oh, well, thank you.
– 没事儿 – 嗯