Brilliantly reasoned.
越来越多的女性踏入职场 何乐而不为呢
More women than ever are working now. And why not?
我们有幼儿园 我们有洗衣机
We have preschools, we have washing machines,
廉价避孕药
cheap contraceptives…
是啊 时代已经变了
Yeah, times have changed.
不过还是有个硬伤
There’s a glaring problem, though.
退一万步讲 你真的赢了这案子
In the unlikely event that you actually win this thing,
有什么解决措施
what’s the remedy?
法庭夺走了
The court takes away
所有人的护理者扣除额
the caregiver deduction for everybody,
包括了在职母亲
including working mothers.
– 那你就是帮倒忙 – 没有
– Then you’ve done more harm than good. – No.
你还记得大♥法♥官哈兰去年六月
Do you remember Justice Harlan’s opinion
对于威尔士诉美国联邦政♥府♥案的看法吗
last June in Welsh v. United States?
记得啊
Yeah.
他说如果延展法律可以更接近立法机关
He said laws could be extended when doing so would be closer
的本意而非颠覆 那么就可以法外开恩
to the legislature’s intent than overturning would be.
是啊 我们在摘要加了一章
Yeah, we’re adding one more section to the brief.
力劝法庭变通法律
Urging the court to extend the law
将查理与他人一样平等对待
to include Charlie as well as everyone else.
好吧
All right.
美国公民自♥由♥协会准备在你的摘要上冠名
The ACLU is prepared to put their name on your brief.
– 我们感激你们的支持 – 别了
– We appreciate your support. – Stop.
我还是会说在这个国家 我宁愿是个女人
I still say I’d rather be a woman in this country
也不要是个黑人或者
than a black man or a…
社♥会♥主♥义♥者 或者宗教上的少数派
socialist or a religious minority.
现在 我们来谈谈你接手里德夫妻案
Now, let’s talk about you taking on Reed v. Reed.
别 不想谈
Oh. Stop. No.
爱达荷的所有男人都更擅长数学
All men in Idaho are better at math?
鲁斯 我给你一个案子 仅此而已
Ruth, I gave you one case. That’s all you get.
摩里兹的论点对于女性客户一样管用
The Moritz argument works just as well for a female client.
而里德案是个州最高法♥院♥的案子
And Reed’s a state supreme court case,
这意味着美国最高法♥院♥
which means the U.S. Supreme Court
– 必须旁听上诉 – 我 我跟你说了
– must hear the appeal. – I-I told you,
我不想再打一场五十年的仗
I don’t want another 50-year battle.
打电♥话♥给萨丽 里德的律师 梅尔
Call Sally Reed’s lawyer, Mel.
如果我是你 我就多担心一下自己的案子
If I were you, I would worry about my own case.
而我希望在案子上到第十巡回法庭前
And I expect to see your remedy arguments
看到你的问题解决措施
before they go to the Tenth Circuit.
我想看你练习
And I want to be there when you practice
你的法庭辩论
your oral arguments.
我们要做一个模拟法庭
We’re doing a moot court.
不干吗
No.
没得商量
It’s not negotiable.
什么时候
When?
一拿到政♥府♥的回复信函
Soon as we get the government’s response brief.
这些人上的都是哪儿的法学院啊
Where did these people go to law school?
你没法针对税收法
You can’t make a constitutional challenge
作出合宪性异议 是不是
to the tax laws, can you?
而且谁听说过性别歧视
And who’s ever heard of gender discrimination?
小题大做
It’s a stretch.
这些人就是海底捞针
These folks are running at hell with a bucket of water.
判例法就是充满了
Case law is filled with challenges
直到出现才能定论的挑战
that could not be made… till they were.
我去让墨菲写我们的回复信函
I’m putting Murphy on writing our response brief.
– 恕我直言 布朗先生 – 不是针对你 伯扎斯
– With due respect, Mr. Brown… – Not personal, Bozarth.
但如果我们不够小心 这次上诉可能会
But if we’re not careful, this appeal could cast a…
让每条牵扯到男女有别的联邦法
cloud of unconstitutionality over every federal law
都冠以违宪的污名
that differentiates between men and women.
我需要更有经验的人来负责
I need someone more seasoned on this.
帮我接司法部副部长 谢谢
Could you get me the solicitor general, please?
我调出的文件 本就该我来
I pulled the file. I deserve the chance.
墨菲就是个靠不住的人
Murphy’s a weak sister.
我知道怎么打赢这场官司 先生
I know how to win this case, sir.
胜于墨菲 胜于任何人
Better than Murphy. Better than anyone.
这次上诉你需要我
You need me on this appeal.
我是布朗
This is Brown.
我需要见见他
I need to see him.
好吧
Okay.
跟我说说
Tell me.
性别平等应该是公民权利
Gender equality as a civil right?
每个人都愤愤不平 谁都成了受害者
When everyone’s aggrieved and everyone’s a victim.
美国公民自♥由♥协会就专门干这个 分♥裂♥国家
It’s what the ACLU does: divide the country
分成越来越小的群体
into smaller and smaller subgroups.
金斯伯格 得癌症得那个 对吧
Ginsburg. Cancer, right?
还有他老婆 苛刻得很 不过很精明
And the wife, very demanding. But smart.
十年了
Ten years.
十年来我力争为哈佛法学院招收更多女人
Ten years I fought to enroll women at Harvard Law.
院里 校方 连我老婆都警告我别这样
The faculty, the university, my wife warned me against it.
现在我是司法部副部长了 这事儿阴魂不散
Now I’m solicitor general, it comes back to haunt me.
欧文 我们能解决好的
Erwin, we could settle.
马丁·金斯伯格曾是我最好的学生之一
Martin Ginsburg was one of my best students,
一个务实的年轻人 我们可以打电♥话♥给他
a practical young man… we can call him, tell him
跟他说我们可以给那人点钱 各取所需
we’ll give the man his money and go our separate ways.
不 不行
No. No.
我们得现在解决 现在言论自♥由♥
We settle now, it’s open season.
我们要把性别歧视这种想法
Let’s put this idea of gender discrimination to bed
一劳永逸地扼杀掉
once and for all.
他们给了我们一个不可能输的案子
They handed us a winnable case.
那我们就赢给他们看
Then we’ll win it.
你觉得他能胜任吗
You think he’s up to it?
伯扎斯是个优秀的诉讼律师
Oh, Mr. Bozarth is a fine litigator.
跟他说你的想法
Tell him your idea.
我们列出法律条文
We list the laws.
什么法律条文
What laws?
所有的
All of them.
每一条区别对待男女的联邦法律
Every federal law that treats men and women differently.
我们就展示给法庭看看
We show the court exactly what kind of can of worms
这些人想打开怎样的潘多拉魔盒
these folks are trying to open.
不过孩子 最后一次有人去查
But, son, the last anyone checked,
美国法典可是有两万多页
the U.S. Code was 20,000 pages long.
谁来去翻 你吗
Who’s going to read it? You?
我能完成的 先生
I can get it done, sir.
我只需要一次引荐
I just need an introduction.
给谁
To whom?
国防部长
The Secretary of Defense.
这些电脑能找到我们要的东西吗
These computers will find what we’re looking for?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
用不了几天
In just a few days.
不需要人力去阅读法律
Without any human beings actually reading the laws.
多么可怕的时代
What a horrifying age.
鲁斯·巴德·金斯伯格
鲁斯 Bader Ginsburg?
司法部寄来的
Delivery from the Department of Justice.

Oh.
给我递一下二十三章
Can someone pass me Title XXXIII?
拿着 这条法律规定我们不能
Get this. There’s a law that we’re not allowed
开军用货机
to fly military cargo planes.
这条规定我们不能在矿上工作
It says here that we’re not allowed to work in mines.
难不成你还想去啊
Why would you want to?
想不想去不是重点
Well, that’s not the point.
重点是我们应该有选择的权力
We should be allowed.
你真的觉得你可以改变法律吗
You really think you can change all those laws?
琪琪
Kiki?
我是这么打算的
That’s the plan.
还有45分钟就开幕了
Curtain’s up in 45 minutes.
在开始改变之前到那
Might be a novel experience
可能会是个全新的体验
to get there before it starts for a change.
你收拾好 了吧
Please tell me that you are… dressed.
哎 你们干嘛呢
Hi. What are you doing?
政♥府♥的诉书送到了
Government’s brief came.
看看上面有谁

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!