有人坐这里吗
Anyone here?
我的名字是欧文·格里斯沃尔德
My name is Erwin Griswold.
我是这里的院长
I am the dean of this place.
欢迎来到哈佛法学院
Welcome to Harvard Law School.
花点时间看看你周围
Take a moment to look around you.
在这个屋子里
In this room,
有罗德奖学金获得者
there are Rhodes
和富布莱特学者
and Fulbright Scholars,
美国大学优等生荣誉学会成员
Phi Beta Kappa members,
学生会主席
student body presidents,
和一个哈弗橄榄球队队长
and a Harvard football team captain.
你们将会一起成为律师
Together… you will become lawyers.
这是一个你们共有的优势
This is a privilege you share.
这也是一个你们需要承担的责任
It is also a responsibility you accept.
想想看
Consider…
成为一个哈佛人意味着什么
what does it mean to be a Harvard man?
一个哈佛人当然是智慧的
A Harvard man is intelligent, of course,
但他也是坚毅的
but he is also tenacious.
他是一个致力于钻研法律的领头人
He is a leader devoted to the rule of law.
他时刻铭记祖国 忠诚于传统
He is mindful of his country, loyal to tradition,
尊敬并且保护我们的制度
and he is respectful and protective of our institutions.
今年的营业净损免扣税额
“The net operating loss deductions
应放在A分项下计算
“by the year shall be computed as of Subsection A
在这一部分 应用于这样的税务复核
of this section, applied to such tax review…”
哪一件让我看起来更像一个哈佛人
Which one makes me look more like a Harvard man?
我很高兴地告诉你
I’m thrilled to report
你看起来一点也不像是一个哈佛人
that you look nothing like a Harvard man.
真的吗 这可是院长的晚餐 马蒂
Seriously? It’s the dean’s dinner, Marty.
你知道我对于这些事情的态度
You know how I am at these things.
我需要留下很好的印象
I-I need to make a good impression.
你会留下好印象的 琪琪
And you will, Kiki,
但是理解错我的意思了
but you’ve got it wrong.
不是说裙子不像 是说你不像
It’s not the dress. It’s you.
你没有吃你的金枪鱼炖菜
You haven’t touched your tuna casserole.
到我这里来 宝贝 来我这里
Come here, sweetie. Come.
这就对啦
There we go.
我在里边放了洋葱
I put onions in.
它们有改善 对吗
They help, right?
当然了
Definitely.
这两件衣服我都不喜欢
I don’t like either of these.
好了 我看到哪了
Okay, where were we?
谢谢
Thank you.
女士们 先生们 晚餐已经准备好了
Ladies and gentlemen, please join us in the dining room
请和我们一起去餐厅吃饭
as dinner is served.
请教授陪同女士们一起进来
And, professors, please escort the ladies in.
你先请
After you. Please.
我可以吗
May I?
他记得所有事情
He remembers everything.
他说 教授
He said, “Professor,
请问您修正过我们的论文了吗
have you corrected our papers?”
我说 修正他们需要用一辈子时间
And I said, “Correcting them will take a lifetime.
我只是给他们打了一个分数
I’m merely grading them.”
等下再说
Oh, wait a minute.
尊敬的同事们 女士们
Esteemed colleagues, ladies.
这仅仅是
This is only the sixth year
女性有荣幸获得哈佛法学位的第六年
women have had the privilege to earn a Harvard law degree.
这个小小的晚会是我们表达欢迎的方式
This little soiree is our way of saying welcome.
我的妻子哈丽特和我
My wife Harriet and I
非常荣幸有你们九个人加入我们
are very glad all nine of you have joined us.
大家先来自我介绍一下
Let us go around the table,
每个人说出你们是谁 来自哪里
and each of you ladies report who you are, where you’re from,
以及你为什么可以在哈佛占得一个
and why you’re occupying a place at Harvard
本来可以给男人的一个位置
that could have gone to a man.
那么
Well…
你先来介绍自己好吗 亲爱的
why don’t you get us started, dear?
我是亨尼·卡拉汉
I’m Hennie Callaghan.
我的父亲在明尼阿波利斯是一个律师
Father’s a lawyer back in Minneapolis.
他过去常常给我合同的草稿
He used to give me drafts of contracts
用来当画画当纸
to use for drawing paper.
但是在有些时候
But at some point,
我更有兴趣于阅读它们
I got more interested in reading them
而不是在上边画画
than drawing on them.
将来会出现卡拉汉和卡拉汉联合事务所
In a few years, it’s gonna be Callaghan and Callaghan.
那很好
That was fine.
下一个
Next.
艾米丽·希克斯
Emily Hicks.
大家好 我来自康涅狄格
Hello. Connecticut.
当我在曼荷莲学院毕业时
When I finished Mount Holyoke,
我妈妈想我去结婚
my mother wanted me to get married.
但是我不想去
But I didn’t want to do that,
并且我也不想成为老师
and I didn’t want to be a teacher
或者一个护士 所以当我 打断一下
or a nurse, so when I… Ah.
这不是一个很好的理由
That’s not a very good reason.
下一个
Next.
哦 小心点
Oh. Watch it.
抱歉
Sorry.
呃 我是
Uh, I’m…
鲁斯·金斯伯格 来自布鲁克林
Ruth Ginsburg from Brooklyn.
那么你为什么来这里呢 金斯伯格小姐
And why are you here, Miss Ginsburg?
实际上是金斯伯格夫人
Uh, M-Mrs. Ginsburg, actually.
我的丈夫马蒂在这里读第二年
My husband Marty is in the second-year class.
我来哈佛是为了更好地了解他的工作
I’m at Harvard to learn more about his work,
所以我可以成为一个
so I can be a
更加耐心和善解人意的妻子
more patient and understanding wife.
来吃这个晚饭 豆子会被煮熟
Come to dinner. The beans will be boiled,
鸡肉会被炖熟 并且你会被烤熟
the chicken will be stewed, and you will be grilled.
我们来哈佛是为了当律师的
We came to Harvard to be lawyers.
为什么还有其他原因
Why else?
这的确是一个愚蠢的问题
It’s truly an asinine question.
他永远不会认真对待我的
He’s never gonna take me seriously.
不 那不是真的
No, that’s not true.
你是那里最聪明的人了
You’re the smartest person here,
并且你会成为最有准备的人
and you’re gonna be the most prepared.
所以只用站起来说出你知道的事情
So just stand up and say what you know.
一个像这样的地方 那才是最重要的
At a place like this, that’s all that matters.
在我看来 当你站出来时
In my experience, even small mistakes are glaring
就算是很小的问题也很显眼
when you stick out.
但是 你很幸运
Well, then you’re very lucky.
因为你
Because you…
很矮
are very… short.
真的吗
Oh, yeah?
真的
Yeah.
那么
Well…
你为什么不下来
why don’t you come down here
把那句话面对面说给我听
and say that to my face.
金斯伯格夫人
Mrs. Ginsburg.
我是布朗教授
I am Professor Brown.
这是合同法导论
This is Introduction to Contracts.
霍金斯对阵麦基
Hawkins versus McGee.
请说明这个案件
State the case, please…
普鲁伊特先生
Mr. Pruitt.
早上好 我是唐纳德·普鲁伊特
Uh, good morning. I’m Donald Pruitt.
我很荣幸来到这里
I’m really honored to be here…
霍金斯对阵麦基
Hawkins v. McGee.
哦对 霍金斯对阵麦基
Uh, yeah, Hawkins versus McGee,
这是一个非常有意思的
it-it’s a fascinating,
违反合同的案件
uh, breach of contract case where, um…
查尔斯·霍金斯伤到了他的手
oh, uh, Charles Hawkins hurt his hand,
但是麦基却
and McGee had…
请问 有人能帮帮他吗
Can someone help him, please?