违背了上述法律规定
contrary to the said act.
你如何辩护 有罪还是无罪
How do you plead? Guilty or not guilty?
冈恩小姐
Ms. Gun?
无罪
Not guilty.
艾利森先生 请发言
Yes, Mr. Ellison.
谢谢法官大人
Yes, thank you, My Lord.
法官大人 鉴于最近的事态发展
My Lord, in light of recent developments,
检方无法提供证据
the prosecution will offer no evidence
支持对被告的起诉
against the defendant on this indictment.
请再说一遍
I beg your pardon?
大人 检方不会继续起诉被告
My Lord, the prosecution will not pursue the indictment.
今天吗
Today?
-不是 法官大人 -不好意思
– No, My Lord. – I’m sorry.
艾利森先生 你是在要求休庭吗
Are you asking for an adjournment, Mr. Ellison?
不是的 大人
No, my lord.
你的意思是 彻底撤销此案吗
You are saying that you do not wish to proceed at all?
是的 大人
Yes, my lord.
但是被告供认不讳
But the accused confessed.
是的 法官大人
Yes, My Lord.
但是你们不想此案继续进行下去了
And yet you do not wish to proceed?
-是的 大人 -抱歉
– No, my lord. – I’m sorry.
我觉得很奇怪
I find that extraordinary.
你能解释一下吗
Do you care to explain?
大人 被告提出了非同寻常的辩护
My Lord, the accused submitted an unusual defense.
是的 必要性辩护
Yes. The defense of necessity.
-是吗 -然后呢
– Yes. – And?
我们没有足够的证据反驳
And we do not believe we have sufficient evidence to rebut it.
为什么呢 她都承认了
Why not? She confessed.
大人 因为
Because, My Lord,
我们需要提供的文件中表明
the documents that we have called for would show
这个国家被卷入了一场非法战争
that this country was taken to war illegally…
可能会使得
…and may expose
政♥府♥背上战争罪
the government to charges of war crimes.
-胡说八道 -是吗
– That is absurd! – Is it?
那就请把文件递交上来
Then kindly hand over the documents
我们请求看一下这份文件
that we have asked to see.
大人 原告没有义务提交
My Lord, the prosecution is not obliged.
事实上 如果案件没有定罪的可能性
Indeed, it is not permitted to continue with a case
那就不应该继续审理下去
if it does not believe there is a realistic prospect of a conviction.
否则就是在浪费纳税人的钱
To do so would be a waste of taxpayers’ funds.
大人 我们十分感谢检方
My Lord, I am thankful
撤销对冈恩女士的起诉
that the charges against Ms. Gun are being withdrawn
以及皇家突然如此坚定地表示
and that the Crown is suddenly so determined
不想再浪费纳税人的钱了
not to waste taxpayers’ money.
但毫无疑问
But surely,
经历了数月的不确定和艰难的处境
after months of uncertainty and severe distress,
冈恩女士有权知道
Ms. Gun is entitled to know
为什么政♥府♥要撤销这一案件
why the government is dropping this case?
的确 公众有权知道
Indeed, the public is entitled to know.
附议 附议
Hear, hear. Hear.
艾利森先生
Mr. Ellison?
再说一遍 大人 我们觉得
Again, My Lord, we do not feel
此案定罪的可能性不大
we have a realistic prospect of a conviction.
我没有其他可说的了
There is nothing more I can say.
确切的来说
To be clear,
你将撤销所有
you are withdrawing all charges
对凯瑟琳·特蕾莎·冈恩的起诉 是吗
against Katharine Teresa Gun?
是的 大人
Yes, My Lord.
冈恩小姐
Ms. Gun…
你可以走了
…you are free to go.
2010年 凯瑟琳泄露的那份简报里
戈德史密斯给托尼·布莱尔的提议被公诸于众
令人震惊的转折
In a startling about-turn,
戈德史密斯明确表示 要是联♥合♥国♥安♥理♥会♥没有通过这项决议
那么这场战争就是不合法的
皇家检察署
the Crown Prosecution Service
已经撤销了对该情报人员的起诉
has dropped its case against an intelligence…
在29号♥ 凯瑟琳·冈恩
At 29, Katharine Gun
曾面临牢狱之灾 因为
was facing jail for breaking the…
距离大选只剩几个月的时间
The last thing the government wanted
此时政♥府♥最不想看到的
within months of a general election
就是一场关于战争合法性的大型庭审案件
was a big court case focusing on the legality of that war…
律师们希望总检察长
The lawyers wanted the Attorney General’s
就入侵伊♥拉♥克♥是否合法
secret advice to Downing Street about whether
向唐宁街提供秘密建议
invading Iraq was or was not legal disclosed that the…
据估计 在伊♥拉♥克♥战争前四年中
伊♥拉♥克♥人♥民♥的死亡人数从15.1万上升到100万
另有无数的人受伤
以及 他参与决定了今天的案子是否
And he was involved in deciding whether today’s case…
4600多名美军和英军士兵死亡
超过3.77万士兵受伤
就在今晚 凯瑟琳·冈恩被当庭释放
First tonight, Katharine Gun walks free.
法庭上出现了戏剧性的反转
In a dramatic about-turn, the Crown…
那么总检察长有没有施压要求停止审判呢
So did the Attorney General put pressure on to stop the trial?
政♥府♥通讯总部有吗
Did GCHQ?
首相有吗 没人知道
Did the prime minister? No answers.
今晚 我们只需要相信
Tonight we’re simply asked to believe that
检方没有充分证据
there was no case to answer.
要是再让你选一次 你还会这么做吗
Would you do it again?
-还会这样做吗 -我没有遗憾
– Would you do it again? – I have no regrets.
会的 我还是会那么做
Yes, and I would do it again, yes.
有钓到什么吗
Caught anything?
还没
Not yet.
你知道的 起诉她并不是我的选择
You know, it wasn’t my choice to prosecute.
我得听总检察长的
I was bound by the decision of the Attorney General.
那你为什么要在提起诉讼之前
Why did you keep her in a state of distress
让她担惊受怕那么久
for a year before you brought charges?
政♥府♥想拿她做个典范
The services wanted to make an example of her.
要是我们早早地放弃
If we dropped the case any earlier,
外界会怎么看我们
what kind of message would that have sent?
帮我个忙 肯
Do me a favor, Ken.
上其他地方钓去
Go and fish somewhere else.