Her name, Nyad, translates in Greek to “water nymph.”
她姓 “耐德” 希腊语的意思是水中仙子
Twenty-eight year-old Diana Nyad,
28岁的戴安娜·耐德正在水中前进
swimming to conquer yet another body of water.
目标是征服又一片海域
World champion marathon swimmer,
马拉松游泳世界冠军
Phi Beta Kappa winner, linguist, author.
斐陶斐奖获得者 语言学者 作家
Miss Nyad holds Italy’s Capri to Naples world record.
耐德小姐保持着 意大利卡普里岛到那不勒斯的世界纪录
She swum 32 miles across lake Ontario.
她曾游泳52公里横穿安大略湖
She swam around Manhattan Island,
她曾环游曼哈顿岛
making the 28-mile trip in record time.
创下45公里的最快纪录
The question from the millions who go out of their way
特地避免在曼哈顿水域游泳的百姓们
to avoid swimming in Manhattan waters is why?
不禁想问为什么
She says it’s a complex matter, involving her deepest emotions.
她说这个问题很复杂 涉及到她最深层的情感
89 miles, a long distance swim from the Bahamas to Florida,
143公里的长距离游泳 从巴哈马群岛到佛罗里达
巴哈马到佛罗里达
1979年8月20日
143公里 27小时38分钟
took 27 hours and 38 minutes to complete the swim,
用时27小时38分钟
and that is a new open ocean record.
创造了开放海域的新纪录
Would you welcome Diana Nyad.
欢迎戴安娜·耐德
今夜秀
1979年9月5日
Congratulations.
祝贺你
Are you getting tired of being congratulated on that remarkable,
取得了如此惊人的成绩
and it was a remarkable achievement?
经常被人祝贺 一定烦了吧?
No, I’m not getting tired. It was worth it.
不烦 这是值得的
Yeah… – Glad to meet you, by the way.
嗯… – 对了 很高兴和你见面
I was wondering how many times I’d have to do your show before I met you.
我之前还在想 我要上多少次你们的节目 才能见到你
The swim I wanna do is 60 hours, two and a half days.
我想游60小时 也就是两天半
That’s Cuba to Florida.
从古巴到佛罗里达
And it’s outrageous, and it’s… – Two and a half days?
很大胆 – 两天半?
it’s overly ambitious, but I think I can make it.
确实非常困难 但我觉得我能完成
And that’s my last swim.
这将是我最后一次游
Sixty hours nonstop in the open sea.
在开放海域不间断地游60小时
It’s like winning that gold medal in the Olympic Games.
就像赢得奥♥运♥金牌一样
The way I look at it, the Bahamas is the appetizer,
在我看来 巴哈马群岛是开胃菜
Cuba is the main course, and retirement’s the dessert.
古巴是主菜 退休是甜点
The Cuba swim is rough.
古巴到佛罗里达很艰难
I mean, I don’t think anybody knows at this point if it can be done.
恐怕没人知道能不能完成
Diana Nyad had an unyielding desire
戴安娜·耐德下定决心要游完全程
to complete her swim, set a world record, and become an immortal.
创下世界纪录 成为不朽的传奇
But from the beginning,
但是从一开始
she knew her chances of finishing were only 50-50.
她就知道完成的几率只有五成
Nyad has said this would be her last swim.
耐德曾表示这将是她最后一次游泳
We all felt that she could’ve made it if she’d had a break.
我们当时都认为 如果她休息一次 就不可能完成
That’s it for you? – That’s it for marathon swimming.
你就到此为止了? – 马拉松游泳就到此为止了
洛杉矶
2010年8月22日
The entire world is asleep. – Yeah.
全世界都像睡着了一样 – 是
And even when awake, they’re barely there.
哪怕醒着 也心不在焉
I know. – Laziness is contagious,
我知道 – 懒惰会传染
and we’re supposed to just nod along
我们就应该跟着点头
like it’s normal that everyone’s just surrendered to a banal existence.
觉得大家都屈服于平庸是很正常的
Is this about 60?
是因为60岁了吗?
What? – 60?
什么? – 60岁?
No. – Okay.
不是 – 好吧
By the way, for tomorrow, I don’t want anything, okay? No cake.
对了 明天我什么都不要 不要蛋糕
Not even a little grocery store cake.
连超♥市♥的小蛋糕也不要
For someone who doesn’t wanna celebrate their birthday, you mention it frequently.
你不是不想庆祝生日吗? 怎么还老是提蛋糕?
Yes.

Just quiet, okay? Just us. Maybe Scrabble.
不要声张 好吗? 就我们 可以玩拼字游戏
Good.
好的
I didn’t plan anything ’cause you told me not to, like, 37 times.
我什么都没准备 因为你跟我说了无数次不要准备
Yes. We’re not doing that.
对 不准备
Ugh!

I forgot the poop bags.
忘记买♥♥便便袋了
Bonnie, that was the whole reason you went to Petco.
邦妮 你来宠物超♥市♥就是为了买♥♥这个啊!
I know. But come on, we’re gonna get some steps in.
我知道 来吧 我们多加一点步数
Come on. One, two, three. You can do it.
来吧 一 二 三 你行的
Teddy, hi.
你好 泰迪!
Hi.
你好!
Can you sit? Can you sit?
你能坐下吗?
Good boy. Good boy.
好孩子!
What a good boy.
真是好孩子!
Okay.
好的
Yeah, the door’s locked. – Well, happy freaking birthday to you.
门锁了 – 祝你生日快乐
Yeah, I brought my Scrabble ’cause, though you won’t admit it,
我带了我的拼字板来 因为虽然你不承认
you’re missing a G, two Es, and at least one blank tile.
但你的少了一个G 2个E和一块空白的板子
Hey, hey, uh, come here. – What are we having for dinner?
哎 过来 – 我们晚餐吃什么?
I wanna show you something over here. – What? Why are you talking like that?
过来 我有东西给你看 – 你为什么这样说话?
Like what?
怎么样说话?
Like you’re enunciating.
故意吐字很清晰
Did you blow-dry your hair?
你是不是把头发吹干了?
Surprise, Diana!
惊喜来啦 戴安娜!
What?
啊?
Bonnie, I said no party.
邦妮 跟你说了不要办聚会
Well, you didn’t mean it.
但你是言不由衷
You happy? – I am.
开心吗? – 开心
Blow it out. – Okay.
吹蜡烛吧 – 好的
No, wait. I gotta think of a wish. – Make it a good one!
等等 我想一个愿望 – 好好许一个愿望
Make a wish!
许一个愿望
I wish…
我希望…
I was five years old,
我五岁的时候
and my father drops the Webster’s Dictionary in my lap.
我父亲把一本韦伯字典丢给我
“Darling, I am waiting five years
“亲爱的 我等了五年
’till you are ready to show you
现在你可以把你的姓
your name in black-and-white.”
在字典上指出来给我看
“Your name says, in Greek mythology,
你的姓 我的祖先 在希腊神话中的
my ancestors,
含义是
the nymphs that swam in the lakes and the rivers and the ocean.”
在江河湖海游动的水中仙子 ‘宁芙’”
Okay. – “This is your destiny.”
好的 – “这是你的宿命”
Yeah, I’m gonna… I’m gonna steal her away now. Come on.
我得把她叫走了 来吧
No, I was just getting to the good part. – Have you heard the expression…
就快讲到精彩部分了 – 老话怎么说来着?
I’m sure you have. The one that goes, uh, “Leave them wanting more?”
你肯定听过 “留点念想”?
I just… I never found it applies to me.
在我身上从来不管用
Come here. – What?
来吧 – 啊?
There’s Nina. She’d still… – I know. Look over there.
妮娜在那边 她还是… – 看那边
She’s got, um, white pants and she’s tall.
她穿着白裤子 她人很高
Oh God. – What?
天呐! – 怎么了?
I don’t know. – What’s the problem?
不知道 – 有什么问题吗?
I don’t know, she seems a little…
她看起来有点…
Nice? Seems normal? Not psycho?
状态不错? 看起来很正常? 不是神经病?
Does she know a lot about me?
她知道很多我的事吗?
She’s got your poster on her wall
她墙上贴着你的海报
and she’s got your face tattooed on her ass.
屁♥股♥上纹着你的脸
Yes.
没错
That’s not funny. – Let’s just go talk to her.
很好笑吗? – 去跟她聊聊
You’re gonna… you’re gonna ask all about herself,
你问问她的情况
and, um, you’re not gonna talk about yourself.
但别说你自己的事
I’ve been to Vietnam, Uganda,
我去过越南 乌干达
caves of Belize, Sydney.
伯利兹的洞穴 悉尼
I covered the Olympics there.
我在那里报道了奥♥运♥会
Thirty years with ABC Sports has taken me all over the world.
在美国广播公♥司♥体育台工作了30年 全世界到处跑
But my favorite place, Cuba.
但我最喜欢的地方是古巴
I’m sure you could’ve guessed. I mean, I imagine you know that…
你一定猜得到 你应该知道吧?
Yeah. Oh yeah. – Yeah.
噢 对 – 嗯
Cuba, it’s just loomed in my imagination since I was a kid.
从小时候起 古巴就一直存在于我的想象之中
The magical place across the water.
魔幻的游泳天堂
Forbidden land.
也是禁地
We weren’t allowed there, they weren’t allowed here.
我们不允许去 他们不允许来
Wow, that’s amazing.
哇 真棒
So, how do you know Bonnie?
你怎么认识邦妮的?
I thought maybe you and her were…
你和她是…
Oh no, no, no, we’re best friends.
不是 我们是闺蜜
I mean, we dated for, like, a second 200 years ago, but…