l am Major Neave.
我是由国际军事法庭委任的官员–
l am the officer appointed by the lnternational Military Tribunal to–
等等
Wait.
你是英国人 -是的
You’re British? – l am.
终于来了个文明人
Finally, a civilized man.
尼维
Neave.
你的名字是
What is your given name?
艾瑞
Airey.
艾瑞‧尼维少校
Major Airey Neave.
我好像听过这名字
l have heard this name before.
艾瑞 像一阵风
Airey, like the wind.
在哪听到过呢
Why would l have heard this name?
我曾被俘 被盖世太保严刑拷问 还逃跑过两次
l was captured, tortured by the Gestapo, and escaped twice.
明白了果然像一阵风
l see. Then you’ve earned your given name.
我是由国际军事法庭委任的官员
l am the officer appointed by the lnternational Military Tribunal…
特地前来向你转交起诉状的副本
…to serve upon you a copy of the indictment…
你将作为被告上庭
…in which you are named as defendant.
同时我也要通知你你有辩护的权利
l’m also here to advise you as to your rights to counsel.
我不在乎请律师
l care nothing for lawyers.
你可以帮我找一个 艾瑞 “一阵风”少校
You can find one for me, Major Airey of the wind.
我们都是文明人
We’re men of culture.
我们都知道真♥相♥
We both know the truth.
胜利者永远是审判官
The victors will always be the judges.
失败者永远是被告
The vanquished, always the accused.
不是吗
Yes?
把门打开
Open it up.
在仔细推敲之前 我不能严格的说对我的指控是否属实
Until l’ve studied this, l cannot speak to the accuracy of the charges against me.
但是我承认这场审判是必要的
But l acknowledge the necessity of this trial and accept…
而且接受对我的指控
…my inclusion in it.
你还没看怎么就这么说
How can you say that before reading the charges?
以第三帝国犯下的罪行 我们都有
There’s a common responsibility for the crimes committed…
共同的责任谁也不能推脱
…in the name of the Third Reich. No one is blameless.
除了受害者
Apart from the victims.
但我们只是执行命令!
But we were just following orders!
我对违反人道的罪行一无所知
l know nothing about crimes against humanity.
这是律师名单-犹太人!
Here’s a list of lawyers. – Jews!
都是些犹太人!
They’re all Jew names!
我想由德国海军军官来为我辩护
l want to be defended by a German naval officer.
我自己就曾是个律师 有的是经验
l was a lawyer myself, full of ideals.
干嘛不直接枪毙我算了
Why don’t you just shoot us now?
为什么不现在枪毙我
Why don’t you shoot us now?
每间牢房♥门口都安排一名看守
l want a guard posted at the porthole of every cell.
给我24小时看紧他们!
They are to be watched around the clock!
我不会让他们轻易地逃过这一切!
l will not have them taking the easy way out!
我要先去拿文件-办公室见
l need to pick up a document. – l’ll meet you in the office.
有奴役波兰劳工的文件吗 -随便挑
Find any directives on Polish slave labor? – Take your pick.
德国人的性格里有一项特别之处
There’s something peculiar about the German character.
就是详细记下他们所做的每一件事
Makes them keep detailed records of everything they do.
确实变♥态♥
lt’s downright perverse.
纳粹分子把他们的想法和
The Nazis put into writing every criminal thought they ever had…
犯罪行为都一一记录下来
…and every criminal act they ever did.
这个房♥间里的证据足以吊死半个国家的人
ln this room is enough evidence to hang half the country.
能把那21人定罪就够了
l’ll settle for 21 clean convictions.
有收获吗 -远远不止
Get what you need? – More than.
我把你凌乱的发言笔记
l’ve arranged all your random notes for the opening statement…
分类整理了一下
…into something less random.
法律的 贴题的 背景资料 判例 法理的
Legal, Thematic, Anecdotal, Precedent, Theory.
你真有两下子
You’re really something.
你想好之后告诉我吧
When you decide what, let me know.
哦 天哪!
Oh, my God!
真不敢相信
l don’t believe this.
看来这个案子让你想慷慨激昂一番
l’ve noticed that this case has inspired the orator in you.
我试图给这整个案子定下一个基调 一个气氛
l tried to capture a tone, a mood, for the entire case.
令人伤感的庄严
A melancholy grandeur, if you will.
哦 全在这儿
Well, it’s all here.
你有
You have a…
在这
…something right here.
我们只有两天时间准备讲稿
We only have two days to finish the speech.
也许你该马上拟稿
Maybe you should start dictating.
好的
Right.
这套同声传译系统就好比巴别塔的地位
This simultaneous translation business is like taking a room in the Tower of Babel.
我敢保证 设计这些耳罩的人–
l can assure you, whoever designed those electronic earmuffs–
是耳机 杰弗里爵士
Earphones, Sir Geoffrey.
耳机 设计他们的人有没有考虑过律师们戴着假发该怎么办
Earphones. Whoever designed them did not try them over a barrister’s wig!
不用急在你脑袋上会很适合的
Not to worry. On you, they’ll be most becoming.
那会压坏我的发型的
That’ll change my style…
那个是谁
Who’s that over there?
他是位心理医生 军方想用他来干预
He’s a psychologist. The army transferred him here to consult…
以防犯人们自杀
…on the suicide risks among the prisoners.
我已经安排了飞机来接你
l had arranged for a flight to pick you up.
这样你可以提前两周到
You were meant to be here two weeks ago.
怎么了 你喜欢磨洋工了
What happened? You developed a craving for shuffleboard?
我得有时间起床来赶时间
l just l needed time to get up to speed.
我做了很多工作
l worked the whole way over.
我已经准备好了
l’m fully prepared.
我的同行们在吗 我想见见他们
Any of my colleagues here? l’d like to meet them.
可能要等一下我有些事想跟你说一下
Perhaps later on. l need to talk to you about something.
你一定要尝尝这伏特加-不不 谢了
You must take some vodka. – No, thank you.
试试看嘛 会让你变强壮的-我还是习惯我的科涅克白兰地
Try it. lt makes it strong. – l am content with the cognac.
我们在俄♥罗♥斯♥都是这么做的-你不能混着喝
We do it all the time in Russia. – You can’t mix it.
我们在俄♥罗♥斯♥从来都是这么做的-法国不会
We do it in Russia all the time. – Not in France.
谢谢 谢谢
Thank you. Thank you.
看看这个 鲍勃
Look at this, Bob.
这是我们的家传宝物
lt was a gift from my family.
审判后我会把这个和我宣读的判决书一起捐赠给我的母校
After the trial l will donate this, along with my papers, to my alma mater.
我想后人会—弗朗西斯
l think future generations– – Francis…
在由谁来充当主审法官这件事上
On the subject of who will serve as President of the Court…
英国人很支持你 不过
…the British are prepared to support you, but…
怎么
Yes?
但不是最好的意见
lt’s not in the best interests of the trial.
美国在这件事上干预得太多了
The Americans are far too dominant in this thing already.
这次审判毕竟是一次团队合作
The trial must be viewed as a joint effort.
我绝对拥有这个资格-我知道你有
l really do have the qualifications. – l know you do.
如果不是我 那是谁
lf not me, then who?
英国的杰弗里·劳伦斯爵士
Sir Geoffrey Lawrence.
英国人和我们在情理上毕竟比较相近
The British share our sensibilities.
总比法国法官德-法贝尔或是那要命的俄♥国♥法官尼基特岑科要好
That’s a lot better than having de Vabres or, God knows, Nikitchenko.
我想法国人会接受的
l think l can sell the French on this idea too.
家乡的每个人都以为我是主审法官
Everyone back home assumes that l will be head of the Court.
弗朗西斯 你的地位依旧无可替代的重要
Francis, your role here will be of incredible importance.
这可能是我最后一次上任了 鲍勃
This is probably the last appointment of my career, Bob.
我就是为这个才出山的
This is how l’m going out.
我很尊敬您弗朗西斯 您这一生将被
With great honor. Francis, you’ll be capping your career…
后人永远敬重
…with great honor.
现在莱伊已经自我了断了
Now that Ley’s done himself in…
谁将会来替他站被告席呢
…who should we get to replace him in the dock?
这可不是在百老汇不能随便换演员的
lt’s not a Broadway show. We don’t just bring out an understudy.
现在只有21个被告了 挺吉利的数字
We’ve still got 21 left. lt’s a good number.
各位 他们回来了
Boys, they are coming back.
比德尔看上去不太高兴-你还能怎么责备他呢
Biddle doesn’t look too happy. – Can you blame him?
先生们 我想为大家介绍弗朗西斯‧比德尔法官
Gentlemen, l’d like to introduce Judge Francis Biddle.
你好 爵士很高兴见到您
Hello, sir. Pleased to see you.
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen.
请允许我
Please.
向诸位法律界的同仁致敬
A salute to my colleagues in the law.
很荣幸我们处在一个可以表达我们自己想法的行业里
How fortunate we are to be in a profession where we may speak our minds.
而不像外交官一样得当一只听话的哈巴狗
Not like diplomats who must behave like dogs on a leash.
为法律干杯!
To the law!
我请问你是否愿意和我跳一支舞
l was wondering if you’d care to dance with me?
我跳得不好
l’m not much of a dancer.
没事 我们一起出丑吧