求你别提跳舞的事
And as for dancing, don’t mention it, I beg you.
这是绝对不可能的
It is quite out of the question.
我敢说查尔斯·霍奇会烦死我
I dare say Charles Hodge will plague me to death about it.
不过我会让他少啰嗦
But I shall cut him very short, I can tell you.
不知道他去哪儿了
I wonder where he is.
那是蒂尔尼将军 – 我相信他来找你谈话的
It’s General T.ilney. – I do believe he’s coming to talk to you.
莫兰德小姐
Miss Morland.
真高兴见到你
Delightful.
请恕我失陪
You will excuse me now.
好极了
Excellent.
莫兰德小姐
Miss Morland,
容我引见我的哥哥 蒂尔尼上尉
allow me to introduce my brother, Captain T.ilney.
很荣幸
Charmed.
我哥哥没礼貌 你别生气 他就是这样的
Don’t let my brother’s ill manners offend you. That’s how he is, I’m afraid.
他就像小孩似的没礼貌
He was ill-mannered as a baby.
你对你哥哥这么不敬 真让我吃惊
I’m surprised at you being so disrespectful to your older brother.
你怎么知道他小时候是怎样的呢?
How could you know what he was like as a baby?
他是小孩时 你还没出生呢
When he was a baby, you were not yet born.
太对了
True enough.
我妈妈说的
My mother told me of it.
希望下一支舞你还没有舞伴?
I hope you’re not already engaged for the next dance?
确实没有
No, indeed.
我的情敌离开巴斯了 – 实际上他不是…
My rival having left Bath. – lndeed he is not…
不许你戏弄我
You mustn’t tease me.
这么你一点不了解索普先生了?
So do you not know Mr Thorpe at all?
不 一点也不
No, not at all.
真奇怪 他对你们家可似乎了如指掌
That’s strange. He seems to know a great deal about your family.
肯定无一赞美之辞
And none of it to our credit?
我总发现
Well, I have always found
无知和偏见极易形成最强烈的意见
that ignorance and prejudice hold no bar to forming the strongest of opinions.
你觉得他无知而有偏见?
You think him ignorant and prejudiced?
我知道他并非总说真话 可他一直对我非常好
I know he doesn’t always tell the truth, but he has been very kind to me.
你觉得他不值得相信吗?
You think he isn’t to be trusted?
亲爱的莫兰德小姐
Dear Miss Morland,
你没觉得要打听索普的事情
has it not occurred to you that I might not be the best person
我并不是合适的人选吗?
to consult on the matter of Mr Thorpe?
朋友们 女士们 先生们
MASTER OF CEREMONlES: My lords, ladies and gentlemen,
下一支舞是<夏日的一天>
the next dance will be On A Summer’s Day.
天哪 亨利 你不会就打算那样无礼的站着吧?
Good God, Henry. You’re not going to stand up in that maul, are you?
我就打算这样了
I certainly am.
那样子太…
That being so…
…你觉得你的朋友愿意和我跳舞吗?
..do you think your friend might dance with me?
不! 对不起 我知道她今晚 出于非常特殊的原因不会跳舞的
No! I am sorry. I know for certain that she has a very particular reason not to dance tonight.
是吗?
Is that so?
那真遗憾
Pity.
(Music starts)
你笑什么? – 看那边
Why are you smiling? – Look there.
你的惊讶在我意料之中
I don’t wonder at your surprise.
我已经尽量久的拒绝他了 但是他好像不接受被拒绝的事实
I refused him for as long as I possibly could, but he would not take no for an answer.
他是长子 他是诺桑觉寺的继承人
He’s the eldest son, you know, the heir to Northanger Abbey.
对我没什么意义
Not that that weighs anything with me.
我已经爱上这个世界上最好的男人了
I am in love with the best man in the whole world.
你觉得他很英俊吗?
Did you think him handsome?
谁? – 傻瓜 蒂尔尼上尉!
Who? – Captain T.ilney, silly!

Oh.
是的 非常英俊
Yes, very handsome.
(Snores)
但是你哥哥不是说他人不好吗?
But didn’t your brother say he was very bad?
有拜伦那么坏吗?
As bad as Lord Byron?
约翰总是想到什么就说什么
Oh, John will say anything that comes into his head.
我基本上从来不相信他的话!
I hardly ever take any notice of him!
那么 到底该相信什么呢?
But then, how is one to know what to believe?
有一件事情是毋庸置疑的 我的爱
One thing you can be certain of – my affection.
对你 还有你最最亲爱的哥哥
For you and your dear, dear brother.
(Thunder crashes)
凯瑟琳! 凯瑟琳 救救我 看在上帝份上!
Catherine! Catherine, help me, for God’s sake!
(Town crier’s bell)
你收到詹姆斯的信了?
You have heard from James?
我父母同意了?
And my parents have consented?
是的 你父亲可真好
Yes, your father has been very good.
詹姆斯将会过上一年400镑的生活
James is to have a living worth 400 a year
只要他到那个年龄
as soon as he is old enough to take it.
但是还有两年时间 那也就是说我们还得等两年才能结婚
But that won’t be for another two years, so we must wait that long before we marry.
看起来你父亲不大可能 很快为我们做点什么
It seems it wasn’t possible for your father to do anything for us immediately.
我肯定莫兰德先生已经表现得很慷慨了
I’m sure Mr Morland has behaved vastly handsome.
如果他不久以后发现有更多可以做的 我敢说他会那么做的
If he finds he can do more, by and by, I dare say he will.
伊莎贝拉的期望并不过分
And lsabella’s wishes are so moderate.
对我而言 相当于没什么要求
ISABELLA: For myself, it’s nothing.
我从没为自己想过
I never think of myself.
但是可怜的詹姆斯!
But poor James!
一年400镑就是买♥♥生活必需品 都是紧巴巴的了!
400 a year is hardly enough for the common necessaries of life!
但是我觉得每个人都有权力 按自己的意愿支配自己的钱
But I suppose everybody has the right to do what they like with their own money.
我很确定我父亲已经竭尽所能了
I am very sure that my father has promised as much as he can afford.
但是我很清楚 艾伦先生可以为詹姆斯做点什么的
But Mr Allen, I was sure, would do something for James.
可能他并不赞成他选择的伴侣
Perhaps he does not approve of his choice of bride.
艾伦先生为什么要为詹姆斯做什么?
Why should Mr Allen do anything for James?
或者说为我们中任何人?
Or for any of us?
艾伦夫妇确实人很好 把我带到巴斯来
It was very kind of Mr and Mrs Allen to bring me to Bath,
但是我们谁也没有 对艾伦先生有什么要求
but none of us has any expectations from Mr Allen.
我亲爱的凯瑟琳
My dear, sweet Catherine,
你知道我根本不在乎钱的
you know I care nothing for money.
如果我明天就能结婚 我过一年50镑的生活也不会有怨言的
If we could only be married tomorrow, I would be happy to live on 50 a year.
但那就是心病所在
But that’s the sting.
那就是我那么沮丧的原因
That’s why you find me so cast down.
在亲爱的莫兰德独♥立♥生活之前 我们还得等两年!
The two years we must wait before dear Morland can have the living!
凯瑟琳…
Catherine…
让我怎么熬过去?
How will I endure it?
我非常理解她的感觉
I can well understand how she feels.
两年太漫长了
Two years is a long time.
但是至少她能嫁给自己爱的人 不是每个人都这么幸运的
But at least she can marry the man she loves. Not everyone is so fortunate.
不 确实
No, I suppose not.
那太让人难过了
How sad that is.
是的 确实是
Yes, it is.
但是有多少对夫妻是因为爱而结合的?
But how many couples marry for love?
我相信我父母是很爱彼此的 甚至胜过爱我们
I believe my mother and father love each other even more than they love us,
要知道他们是非常爱我们的
and they love us very much.
我还是个小女孩的时候 我觉得每个人都会是这样的
When I was a little girl, I used to think it was like that for everyone.
直到我开始看小说 意识到并不是那样
It was only when I started to read novels that I realised it was not.
我真没想到有人是通过看小说 才发现这点的
I shouldn’t have thought one would have to read novels to find that out.
我觉得你受的教育很危险
I think you have had quite a dangerous upbringing.
危险? 怎么讲? – 就像亨利说的
Dangerous? How? – Well, it’s as Henry says.
你成长过程中 觉得每个人心灵都和你一样纯净
You’ve been brought up to believe that everyone is as pure in heart as you.
我觉得我心灵并不很纯净
I don’t think I’m very pure in heart.
是吗? 为什么?
Really? Why?
我有时候做很可怕的梦
I have the most terrible dreams sometimes.
你们笑什么?
(Both giggle) – What’s the joke?
和你没关系
Nothing to concern you.
我很喜欢这么散步
I love our walks.
我真想永远待在巴斯 每天都和你们一起散步!
I think I should like to stay in Bath forever and go walking with you every day!
不幸的是 这不大可能
Unfortunately, that won’t be possible.
噢?
Oh?
我们的父亲今天早上说 他决定这周末就要离开巴斯了
Our father told us this morning he’s determined on quitting Bath by the end of the week.

Oh.
莫兰德小姐!
GENERAL TlLNEY: Miss Morland!
真好!
Capital!
非常好
Excellent.
莫兰德小姐 你能考虑一下
Can you, Miss Morland, be prevailed on
离开这纷乱的地方
to quit this scene of public triumph
和我们一起去诺桑觉寺吗?
and oblige us with your company at Northanger Abbey?
诺桑觉寺?
Northanger Abbey?
莫兰德小姐……
Well, Miss Morland…
…你意下如何?
..what do you say?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!