他的钱只可能花在她身上
And with no-one to spend it on but her,
她婚嫁时会带上巨额财产
she’ll bring a deal of money to her marriage.
老头一旦归西 她就会成为乡村最富有的女人之一
When the old man pops off, she’ll be one of the richest women in the country.
谢谢你 先生
Obliged to you, sir.
索普 约翰·索普
Thorpe, John Thorpe.
很高兴曾经…
Delighted to have been…
是的 这首歌♥唱得太悦耳动人了
Yes, it was beautifully sung.
索普先生 也许你能向我引见这位年轻女士
Mr Thorpe, perhaps you’d introduce me to the young lady.
莫兰德小姐 这位是蒂尔尼将军
Miss Morland, this is General T.ilney.
很迷人
Charming.
我无意听到你们相约散步?
And did I overhear a country walk proposed?
是的 先生 就是后天
Yes, sir, the day after tomorrow.
也许我们能有幸邀请你那天散步之后
Perhaps you would do us the honour of spending the rest of the day with us,
跟我们共度时光
after your walk?
如果艾伦夫妇应允的话?
If Mr and Mrs Allen can be persuaded to spare you?
我相信他们会很乐意让我来的 先生 我非常原意来
I’m sure they’d be happy to spare me, sir, and I’d have great pleasure in coming.
太好了
Excellent.
希望能更进一步认识你 莫兰德小姐
I shall look forward to making your better acquaintance, Miss Morland.
哦!
Ooh!
你觉得怎么样 凯瑟琳? – 令人心旷神怡
ELEANOR: What do you think, Catherine? – It’s wonderful.
让我想起法国南部 你知道朗格多克吗?
It reminds me of the South of France. The Languedoc, you know?
是的!
ELEANOR: Yes!
你经常去法国旅行吗?
Have you travelled much in France?

No.
我从未去过那儿
Not at all, I’ve never been there.
但是看到过画 正如拉德克利夫夫人 在”尤多尔弗”里描绘的那样
But I’ve seen pictures. And it’s just as Mrs Radcliffe describes it in Udolpho.
啊! 拉德克利夫夫人
Ah! Mrs Radcliffe.
你也许不看小说吧
CATHERlNE: But I suppose you don’t read novels?
我两天就把”尤多尔弗”看完了
HENRY: I read Udolpho straight through in two days,
一直感到毛骨悚然
with my hair standing up on end the whole time.
我常常想 应该有更多的生机
I often think there’s more life,
和真理
and truth,
优秀的小说里饱含感情 远胜那些乏味的传教训诫
and feeling in a good novel than in a hundred dull sermons.
你真的相信?
Do you really believe that?
哦 继续走吧 别等我
Oh, go on, don’t wait for me.
你为什么认为我不信?
Why should you think I don’t believe it?
因为我认为你喜欢戏弄我
Because I think you like to tease me.
因为真实世界和小说世界迥然不同
And because the real world is different from the world in stories.
是吗?
Is it?
当然是了!
Of course it is!
我爱看拉德克利夫夫人的书
I love to read Mrs Radcliffe,
但我认为真实世界 不会充满谋杀和绑♥架♥
but I don’t think the real world’s full of murders and abductions
还有栓着铃铛作响的链条的幽灵
and ghosts with clanking chains
以及诱惑 诸如此类
and seductions and everything.
至少在富乐敦不是这样
Well, not in Fullerton, anyway.
也许没那么多的谋杀和绑♥架♥
Perhaps not quite so many murders and abductions.
但是破碎的心呢? 背叛呢?
But broken hearts? Betrayals?
持之不去的怨恨? 阴谋报复?
Long-held grudges? Schemes of revenge?
恐惧?
Fear?
仇恨? 绝望?
And hatred? And despair?
这不是我们生命的一部分吗? 即便是在富乐敦
Are they not part of all of our lives? Even in Fullerton?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我不原意这么想
I would like to think not.
很好 我希望你的生活经历 能意外地证明这一点
Well, then, I hope your experience of life is the exception that proves the rule.
蒂尔尼!
T.ilney!
蒂尔尼 原谅我打断你的散步 我没时间耽搁了
Forgive me, T.ilney, for interrupting your walk. I’ve no time to lose.
当然 我们在等你
Of course. You were expected.
小姐
Ma’am.
来吧 我们往前走走
Come, let’s walk on a little.
那位先生跟我们很熟 是位好朋友
That gentleman is a close acquaintance of ours, a very good friend.
他不得不马上离开
He is obliged to leave the country at short notice.
昨天晚上他来向我辞行
He was able to make his farewells to me last evening,
但他无疑很想临行前向我妹妹道别
but was no doubt anxious to say goodbye to my sister, too, before he left.
明白了
I see.
这事这么提出来很无理
There is no reason why the matter should come up.
但如果我们见过这位先生的事
But my sister and I would be very grateful if you did not mention to my father
你能不向我父亲提及 我和舍妹会感激不尽
that we saw that gentleman here today.
当然我不会提
No, of course.
谢谢
Thank you.
淫欲的视觉令僧人一阵眩晕
CATHERlNE: The Monk reeled from the unholy sight.
“拿着避身符” 她回答道
“Receive this talisman, ” she replied.
“当你戴上它 大门会骤然开启 墙壁会消失
“While you bear this, every door will fly open and walls will melt away.
它会让你明晚进入安东尼娅的寝室
It will procure you access tomorrow night to Antonia ‘s bed chamber’
莫兰德小姐
M iss Morland.
用不着害臊
Nothing to be ashamed of.
这一切都是上帝创造的
It’s all God’s creation.

Come.
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
凯瑟琳!
MRS ALLEN: Catherine!
你进屋的瞬间 我就彻底明白了 我能感觉到
I absolutely knew the second you came to the house. I could tell.
你跟我母亲说话的方式 我能… 这是命中注定的
And the way you spoke to my mother, I could just… It was almost like fate.
(Knock on door)
凯瑟琳?
Catherine?
不 不 坐下
No, no, sit down.
能猜出来吗?
Can you guess?
你哥哥让我成为世界上最幸福的人儿!
Your brother has made me the happiest girl on Earth!
你是说 你跟詹姆斯…
You mean, you and James…
堕入情网了!
Are in love!
今天下午他向我表白了
He confessed as much to me this afternoon.
你知道我的天性 我永远不会视感情如儿戏
And you know my nature, I could never trifle with a man’s affections.
简言之 我对他也报以爱情
In short, I told him his love was returned.
(Laughs delightedly)
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
他在楼下等着
He’s waiting downstairs.
我知道我不用征求你的同意 凯瑟琳
I know I needn’t ask whether you approve, Catherine.
不 真的!
No, indeed!
尽管让我大吃一惊 这事发生得那么快
Though I am surprised. It has all happened so quickly.
并非如此 我对你的朋友一见钟情
Not so. I believe I have been in love with your friend since the first time I set eyes on her.
我也是
And l.
去年圣诞节他第一天来我家 那初次的惊鸿一瞥!
The very first day he came to us last Christmas, the very first moment!
我记得我穿着这黄色长裙
I remember I wore this yellow gown.
头上盘着辫子 – 我来向你辞行 凯瑟琳
My hair was up in braids. – I am come to say goodbye, Catherine.
我要直接赶去富乐敦请求父母的同意
I am going straight to Fullerton to seek our parents’ consent.
莫兰德 你在这里
Ah, Morland, there you are.
莫兰德小姐
Miss Morland,
我也必须暂时离开
I, too, must take my leave for the present, just for the present.
我陪詹姆斯去富乐敦 然后去城里帮他挑选戒指
I’m going to accompany James to Fullerton, and then onto town to help him choose a ring.
也许在那里寻觅意中人 你觉得我应该吗?
Perhaps I might look for one for myself while I’m there. Do you think I should?
喜结良缘这个主意太妙了 你觉得呢?
A famous good thing, this marrying scheme. What do you think of it?
我也觉得很好
I think it’s a very good thing, too.
我很高兴听你这么说
I’m so pleased to hear you say that.
你听过”参加婚礼迎接良缘”那首老歌♥吗?
Did you ever hear the old song, “going to one wedding brings on another”?
也许我们该试试看看能不能应验?
Perhaps you and I might try the truth of that?
我到了城里会想你的
I shall think of you, when I’m in town!
来吧 詹姆斯 我们不得不割舍分离!
Come on, James, we must tear ourselves away!
去吧
Go.
去吧 也许遥遥无期
Go, perhaps, forever.
伊莎贝拉! 你什么意思?
Isabella! Whatever do you mean?
你的父母会说什么?
Your mother and father, what will they say?
我深信他们会为詹姆斯感到高兴
I’m sure they’ll be very happy for James.
可是我的财产太少了 他们怎么会同意呢?
But my fortune will be so small. How could they consent to it?
你哥哥娶什么人都行
Your brother, who might marry anybody.
财产上的差别算得了什么
I wouldn’t think the difference in fortune would be anything to signify.
哦!亲爱的凯瑟琳 你宽怀大度 我知道在你看来这算不了什么
Oh! My sweetest Catherine, in your generous heart, I’m sure it would not matter at all.
可我不能期待任何人都不计较
But I mustn’t expect everyone to think the same.
我真原意跟你换个地位
I only wish our situations were reversed.
如果我能掌管几百万英镑
If I had the command of millions,
如果我能主宰全世界…
if I were mistress of the whole world…
…你的哥哥也会是我唯一的选择
..your brother would still be my only choice.
现在凯瑟琳 你知道我为了你才来的
Now, Catherine, you know I’m only here for your sake.
你知道我的心早飞到40英里外了
You know my heart is 40 miles away.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!