How do you do, Miss Morland?
我一直渴望见到你
I have so long wished to meet you.
你哥哥总是热情地提到你
Your brother has spoken of you so affectionately.
肯定我们能成为最好的朋友
I am sure that we will be the very best of friends.
我太开心了 你也喜欢拉德克利夫夫人的小说
I am so pleased you love Mrs Radcliffe’s novels, too.
真希望我是你 我刚开始看”尤多尔弗”
I wish I were you, just beginning to read Udolpho for the first time.
真的很恐怖吗?
Is it really very horrid?
超乎你的想象
You can’t even imagine.
我绝对不会把内容透露给你
But I wouldn’t tell you for the world.
也许说一个情节好激发你的兴趣
Well, perhaps one incident to whet your appetite.
(Gasps)
这种事真的会发生吗?
Can such things really happen?
想想拜伦勋爵吧
Well, just think of Lord Byron.
听说他道德败坏
I have heard that he is very wicked.
但我不清楚他究竟干了些什么
But I don’t know exactly what he is supposed to have done.
哦!
Oh!
听说他来巴斯了
And I have heard that he is here, in Bath.
我们去帮浦室吧 也许能见到他?
Shall we go to the Pump Room and see if we can see him?
也许你的蒂尔尼先生也会去那儿
Perhaps your Mr T.ilney will be there, too.
他不是我的蒂尔尼先生 伊莎贝拉
He’s not my Mr T.ilney, lsabella.
对 你不能说他是!
Indeed, you mustn’t say he is!
他不是吗?
Isn’t he?
肯定有某个人听到这话会很欣喜
Well, there’s a certain person who will be very glad to hear that.
你什么意思?
Who do you mean?
没什么
Never you mind.
(Whispering)

ISABELLA: Oh.
我讨厌秘密交谈时有陌生人偷听!
I do so hate it when strangers listen to one’s private conversations.
不 他名字不在上面
No, his name’s not there.
我想他一定离开巴斯了
I think he must be gone from Bath.
可他从未提过只呆那么短时间
And yet he never mentioned his stay would be so short.
也许这也无妨
Perhaps it’s just as well.
我哥哥约翰说他全家都道德沦丧
My brother John says the whole family is very bad.
长兄跟拜伦勋爵一样道德沦丧 约翰说
The eldest son as bad as Lord Byron, John says.
显然他错了 蒂尔尼先生 再和蔼可亲 温文尔雅不过了
Surely he’s mistaken. Mr T.ilney couldn’t have been kinder or more gentleman-like.
要知道人不可貌相
Appearances often deceive, you know.
可他是牧师
But he is a clergyman.
可这年头这证明不了什么
That signifies nothing these days.
(Men laugh)
真让人难以忍♥受!
Insufferable!
来吧 我们出去
Come, let’s walk outside.
真好 两个姑娘
Nice. Both girls.
卖♥♥花!卖♥♥花!
STREET-SELLER: Nosegays! Buttonholes!
卖♥♥花!卖♥♥花!
Posies! Buttonholes!
他们跟来了吗?
Are they following?
没有 他们朝墓地方向去了
No, they are going towards the churchyard.
很好 终于甩掉他们了
Good. We are rid of them.
如果在前面转弯 就可以到米尔松大街
Now, if we turn down there, it will bring us to Milsom Street.
这么走我们不是又会撞见他们吗?
But shouldn’t we come upon them again if we did that?
对此你不用担心
Oh, never mind that.
来 快点
Come, make haste.
卖♥♥花!
Posies!
(Drivers gee on horses)
讨厌的马车!真让人憎恶!
Oh, these odious carriages! How I detest them!
让路!让路!
Make way! Make way!
伊莎贝拉! – 哦 太好啦!
lsabella! – Oh, how delightful!
是莫兰德先生和我哥哥约翰!
Mr Morland and my brother John!
詹姆斯!
James!
我不知道你会来巴斯
I didn’t know you were coming to Bath.
索普出的主意
Thorpe’s idea.
每当我想起你和索普小姐在这里 让我离开可就太难了
When I remembered you were here, and you, Miss Thorpe, nothing would have kept me away.
很高兴再次见到你
I am very happy to see you again.
我也是
And l, you.
莫兰德小姐 – 我的好朋友约翰·索普
Miss Morland. – My good friend John Thorpe.
很荣幸
Enchante.
前几天晚上有幸见到你跳舞
I had the pleasure of seeing you dance the other evening.
是的 我记得
Yes, I remember.
希望不久你能赏脸陪我跳一曲
I hope I may have the pleasure of dancing with you myself before too long.
我们正要去埃德加大楼 – 是吗?
We were walking towards Edgar’s Buildings. – Were you?
该死 我们陪你们走吧! 莫兰德小姐?
Damn it, we’ll walk with you! Miss Morland?
你喜欢敞篷马车吗? – 是的 非常喜欢
Are you fond of an open carriage? – Oh, yes, very.
这周我带你去兰斯当山 好吗?
Well, would you permit me to drive you up Lansdown Hill one day this week?
谢谢你 你真是太好了
Thank you. You are very kind.
但是…这是否妥当?
But…would it be proper?
哦 见鬼 这是巴斯
Oh, damn it, this is Bath.
知道吗?在巴斯人们可自♥由♥随便多了
You know? Everything’s more free and easy in Bath.
(Courtly dance)
你在想什么 莫兰德小姐?
Penny for your thoughts, Miss Morland?
我不过…你看过”尤多尔弗”吗 索普先生?
I was just… Have you ever read Udolpho, Mr Thorpe?
“尤多尔弗”?天哪!
Udolpho? Lord!
不 我从不看小说 那是伊莎贝拉看的
No, I never read novels. I leave all that to lsabella.
不过前几天我看了”僧人” – “僧人”!
I read The Monk the other day, though. – The Monk!
真♥象♥大家说的那样惊世骇俗吗?
Is it as shocking as everybody says?
如果你想看可以去借
You can borrow it, if you care to.
要知道 这本书炙手可热
Hot stuff, you know.
(Music finishes)
(Murmur of conversation)
这不是很好吗 凯瑟琳? – 是的!
lsn’t this altogether delightful, Catherine? – Yes!
怎么说?再跳一曲?
What say? Jig it again?
请为下支舞挑选舞伴
MASTER OF CEREMONlES: Take your partners for the next dance!
天才!
A Prodigal Fellow!
莫兰德小姐
Miss Morland.
容许我引见…
Allow me to introduce…
埃莉诺
Eleanor.
我妹妹
My sister.
你妹妹!
Your sister!
哦…
Oh…
是的 很高兴见到你 蒂尔尼小姐
Yes, I am very happy to meet you, Miss T.ilney.
我也是
And l, you.
亨利在我面前滔滔不绝地说起你
Henry has told me so much about you.
你无法想象 再见到你哥哥让我多么惊讶
You can’t imagine how surprised I was to see your brother again.
我深信他已离开巴斯远走高飞了
I felt so sure of his being quite gone from Bath.
是的 上次见到你时 他来为我们订房♥子 只呆了一个晚上
Yes, when he saw you, he was here to engage lodgings for us. He only stayed the one night.
哦 明白了
Oh, I see.
嗨 你哥哥的舞跳得真好
He, your brother, dances very well.
是的 – 而且他非常诙谐风趣
Yes. – And he is very amusing.
是的 当他愿意的时候
Yes, he is, when he cares to be.
你知道跟蒂尔尼交谈的那位先生吗?
Do you know that gentleman talking to Mr T.ilney?
那是我们的父亲
That’s our father,
蒂尔尼将军
General Tilney.
他似乎对我们很不满
He looks as if he were displeased with us.
这不过是他的方式
It is only his way.
你们母亲也陪你们来巴斯了吗?
And is your mother here with you in Bath as well?
我们母亲过世了
Our mother is dead.
那么这是你第一次来巴斯?
So this is your first time in Bath?
你喜欢这里吗?
Do you like it?
非常喜欢
Very much indeed.
周围好几处风景令人心醉神迷 适合散步
There are some very pretty walks round about.
我和亨利每天早上都去散步
Henry and I walk most mornings.
哪天你想一起来吗?
Should you care to join us one day?
是的
Yes.
乐意之至 我喜欢长时间的散步
More than anything in the world. I love long walks.
尽管没法劝服我朋友也来
Though I can’t persuade my friend to join me.
她觉得镇上可以做那么多事 散步纯属虚耗光阴
She thinks it a waste of time when there are so many other things to do in town.
看得出来
I can see that she might.
(Laughs)
她常说骇人听闻的东西
She says the most appalling things.
那么 明天中午12点见 如果不下雨的话?
In that case, shall we say tomorrow at 1 2, unless it rains?
好的
Yes.
凯瑟琳 你必须听听这个
Catherine. You simply must hear this.
快来!
Come, quickly!
失陪
Excuse me.
好的
Of course.
快点 莫兰德小姐! 戴上帽子 别耽搁时间了!
Make haste, Miss Morland! Put on your hat, there’s no time to lose!
我们要去布莱兹城♥堡♥! – 索普先生!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!