凯瑟琳 替我把袖子上的别针摘下来 不能怪你 先生
Catherine, do take this pin out of my sleeve. It was not your fault, sir.
请让我来 夫人
Allow me, ma’am.
非常感谢 先生
Thank you kindly, sir.
尽管恐怕已经扯了个洞
Though I’m afraid it’s torn a hole already.
没什么严重的 夫人
There. Nothing too disastrous, ma’am.
要真这样就实在太可惜了 这是我最喜欢的长裙
I shall be sorry if it has, for it’s a favourite gown.
真的 艾伦太太 几乎注意不到 – 尽管每码只花九先令
Really, Mrs Allen, one would hardly notice. – Though it cost but nine shillings a yard.
九先令?
Nine shillings?
跟我猜得一模一样 – 你也懂得细棉布吗 先生?
That is exactly what I should have guessed. – Do you understand muslins, sir?
对此我很在行
I understand them very well.
我妹妹经常托我替她挑选长裙
My sister has often entrusted me in the choice of a gown.
前几天我还给她买♥♥了一件
I bought one for her only the other day.
一♥码♥五先令 可是货真价实的印度细棉布 你怎么认为呢?
Five shillings a yard, and a true lndian muslin. What do you make of that?
很好!
Well!
我永远没法让艾伦先生区分我的长裙
And I can never get Mr Allen to tell one of my gowns from another.
告诉我 先生 你认为莫兰德小姐的长裙怎么样?
But tell me, sir, what do you think of Miss Morland’s gown?
莫兰德小姐的长裙
Miss Morland’s gown…
莫兰德小姐的长裙非常漂亮
Miss Morland’s gown is very pretty.
但是我认为不经洗
Though I don’t think it will wash well.
恐怕容易磨损
I am afraid it will fray.
你怎么能这么…?
How can you be so…?
自以为是?是的 甚至都还没引见过
Presumptuous? Indeed. Without so much as an introduction.
请务必允许我做出弥补 艾伦太太
You must allow me to make amends, Mrs Allen.
先生们
Gentlemen.
谢谢你 – 你真是太好了
Thank you. – Very kind indeed.
稍等片刻
One moment.
多么…
What a very…
真的 我不该让你跟个陌生人说话
Really, I shouldn’t have allowed you to speak to him, as a stranger.
但是他对细棉布那么在行
But he had such an understanding of muslin.
不知道他去哪了
I wonder where he’s gone.
他又来了 偕同金先生
Here he comes again. And he has brought Mr King with him.
他是舞会主持人!
The Master of Ceremonies himself!
艾伦太太
Mrs Allen.
莫兰德小姐
Miss Morland.
允许我向你们引见亨利·蒂尔尼先生
Allow me to present to you Mr Henry T.ilney,
刚到巴斯不久
just lately arrived in Bath.
艾伦太太 莫兰德小姐
Mrs Allen, Miss Morland.
很高兴认识你们
Delighted to make your acquaintance.
金先生
Mr King.
现在我们可以相互交谈了
Now we may talk to one another.
可我们已经说上话了
But we’ve already been talking.
可不能让任何人听见你刚才说的话
You mustn’t allow anyone to hear you say such things,
否则我们会被上流社会驱逐出去
or we shall all be expelled from polite society.
让它成为我们的秘密吧
Let it be our secret.
现在 如果还可以邀请你 莫兰德小姐
And now, if your card is not already full, Miss Morland,
可以荣幸地邀请你跟我跳下一支舞吗?
might I request the pleasure of the next dance with you?
跟我?
With me?
谢谢
Thank you.
(Courtly dance)
请原谅 做为你的舞伴我相当失礼 疏忽了很多客套话
Forgive me, I have been very remiss in the proper attentions of a partner.
比如说?
What are they?
哦 请教你来巴斯多久了
Oh, I ask you how long you have been in Bath,
是否去过剧院 音乐厅等等
have you been to the theatre, and the concert, and so on.
这么问不是很无趣吗?
Wouldn’t that be rather dull?
当然
Of course.
但我们必须尽责 你准备好了吗?
But we must do our duty. Are you ready?
是的
Yes.
你来巴斯多久了 小姐?
How long have you been in Bath, madam?
一点也不久 先生
Not long at all, sir.
你以前从没来过吗? – 没有 先生
And were you never here before? – Never, sir.
真的!去看过戏吗?
Indeed! And have you been to the play?
还没有 先生
Not yet, sir.
太让人惊讶了 去过音乐厅吗?
Astonishing. The concert?
没有
(Laughs) No.
不可思议 现在告诉我…
Amazing. Now tell me…
你很喜欢巴斯吗 小姐?
Are you altogether pleased with Bath, madam?
是的
Yes.
非常喜欢
I like it very well.
妙极了
Excellent.
现在 我必须傻笑一声 然后我们再恢复理智
Now I must give you one smirk, and then we can be rational again.
(Laughs)
你认识那位先生吗?
Do you know that gentleman?
一点也不
Not at all.
不知道他为什么一直盯着我们看
I wonder why he keeps looking at us.
我猜他喜欢目光所及之处吧
I imagine he likes what he sees.
什么?
What?
你指我吗?
Do you mean me?
为什么不呢?
Why not?
(Music finishes)
那么告诉我 你今晚会在日记里写些什么?
So, tell me, what will you write in your journal tonight?
“星期五 去了下舞厅
“Friday, went to the Lower Rooms,
穿着带枝叶花纹 镶蓝边的纱裙
wore my sprigged muslin dress with blue trimmings,
自认为非常漂亮 ”
and looked very pretty, though I say so myself.”
下一支舞 拜伦勋爵的… – 跟一位男士跳舞
The next dance! Lord Byron’s… – “Danced with one man,
被另一个更加英俊的男士凝视”
was stared at by another much more handsome.”
我才不会这样说呢
Indeed I shall say no such thing.
那你会怎么说?
Then what shall you say?
兴许我根本不写日记
Perhaps I don’t keep a journal at all.
快点!
DRlVER: Come on!
他是个非常温文尔雅的年轻人 对吧 凯瑟琳?
A most agreeable young man. Was he not, Catherine?
是的
Yes.
非常和蔼可亲 而且诙谐风趣
He was very kind, and very amusing.
我非常喜欢他
I liked him very much.
艾伦先生?
Well, Mr Allen?
不 我…
No, l…
我不是那个意思
I didn’t mean anything like that.
他可不会对我这么想 他太…
He can’t have thought of me like that, he is much too…
他相当成熟
He is quite grown-up.
凯瑟琳 我理当警告你
(Clears throat) Catherine, I feel I should warn you
巴斯吸引了形形色♥色♥的无赖和冒险家
that Bath attracts all manner of scoundrels and adventurers,
结朋识友一定要万分小心
and one cannot be too careful when making new acquaintances.
蒂尔尼先生是无赖吗?
Mr T.ilney, a scoundrel?
蒂尔尼先生是冒险家吗?
Mr T.ilney, an adventurer?
他懂得细棉布 艾伦先生
He understands muslin, Mr Allen.
他有个妹妹
He has a sister.
我打听了一下
Well, upon inquiries,
发现蒂尔尼先生来自体面人家 而且还是个牧师
I did discover that Mr T.ilney is a young man of very good family, and a clergyman to boot.
牧师?
A clergyman?
无疑你更希望他是个歹徒?
No doubt you’d prefer him to be a brigand?
他的父亲名声在外
His father’s a man of consequence, though.
诺桑觉寺的
General T.ilney,
蒂尔尼将军
of Northanger Abbey.
诺桑觉寺?
Northanger Abbey?
那里闹鬼吗?
Is it haunted?
毋庸置疑 毋庸置疑
No doubt, no doubt.
寺院通常都闹鬼
These abbeys usually are.
(Horse neighs)
唷!
Whoa!
(Thunder rumbles)
…总穿着人家意想不到的旧衣服
..wearing the same old things that one wouldn’t have thought of.
艾伦太太?
Mrs Allen?
这位一定是莫兰德小姐
And this must be Miss Morland.
索普太太 你哥哥詹姆斯让我照看你
Mrs Thorpe. Your brother James told me to look out for you.
你认识詹姆斯? – 是的 他跟我儿子约翰一起上的牛津
You know James? – lndeed. He is up at Oxford with my son, John.
索普太太!我过去的同窗!
Mrs Thorpe! My old schoolfellow!
是的 他圣诞节去找你了
Yes, he went to you at Christmas.
我们都对喜爱有加
And I may say he endeared himself to us all.
哦 我的女儿们来了
Ah, here come my girls now.
伊莎贝拉是我大女儿 这是玛利亚和安妮
Isabella, my eldest, and Maria and Anne.
伊莎贝拉 这是艾伦夫人和莫兰德小姐
Isabella, this is Mrs Allen, and Miss Catherine Morland.
詹姆斯的妹妹
James’s sister.
詹姆斯的妹妹!
James’s sister!
你好 莫兰德小姐?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!