and I was gonna drink that booze until I passed out.
我准备喝酒喝到昏过去
And if I woke up…
如果我醒过来了的话
I was gonna light a cigarette,
我打算点一根烟
and I was gonna blow us all up.
把东西全炸飞
And I looked at my two sweet little trusting dogs,
但我看着我那两只可爱的狗狗
my Cocker Spaniel and my little Toy Poodle,
我的可卡犬和贵宾犬
and I just couldn’t do that to them.
我就觉得我不能这样对它们
And I thought, well,
我又一想
I can’t do that to me, either.
我也不能这样对我自己啊
So, I was getting close to 62
所以 我已经快62岁了
and I went online to look at my social security benefit.
我上网查了一下我的社保福利
It said $550.
显示的是550美元
Fern, I had worked my whole life.
弗恩 我都工作了一辈子了
I’d worked since I was 12 years old,
我从12岁的时候就开始工作了
raised two daughters. I couldn’t believe it.
我还生养了两个女儿 我真的不敢相信
So I’m online, and I find Bob Wells Cheap RV Living.
于是 我上网看到了鲍勃·威尔斯的廉价房♥车生活
I could live in an RV, travel
我可以住在房♥车里 到处走走
and not have to work for the rest of my life.
而且这辈子都不用工作了
The RTR is a bootcamp for beginner nomads.
“RTR是一个初级游牧民的营地”
Bob Wells looks just like Santa Claus.
鲍勃·威尔斯长得好像圣诞老人
Doesn’t he?
是吧
Everybody says that.
大家都这么说
What’s RTR stand for?
RTR是什么意思
Rubber Tramp Rendezvous.
轮胎流浪者集结地
It is in Quartzsite, Arizona,
在亚利桑那州昆特赛特
out in the middle of the desert, on BLM land.
沙漠里的一块土管局公共用地
You should come.
你也应该来
I’m gonna make you a map.
我给你画个地图
No, I don’t think I’m gonna go.
不了 我应该不会去
Oh, I hope you come.
我希望你能来
I’m gonna make you a map anyway.
不过我还是会给你画个地图
So, that’s what the RTR is.
“所以 这就是RTR”
It is a support system for people
“这是一个为当下需要帮助的人
who need help now.
“提供支持的系统”
See you next year, Fern. Happy holidays.
明年见 弗恩 节日快乐
Yeah, you, too, Doug.
你也是 道格
Carl had a stroke.
卡尔中风了
Is he dead? No.
他死了吗 没有
No, no. His daughter came and took him back East.
没有 他女儿来了 把他接回东部了
Oh. Yeah.
这样啊
But they didn’t take the dog?
但他们没有把狗狗带走
They couldn’t take him.
他们没法带
Would you like to have him?
你想要收养它吗
He’s really a good dog.
它真的很好
No. No. He’s real friendly.
不了 它很乖的
Okay, so you are leaving on Thursday, right?
好吧 所以你是 周四走是吧
Yeah. Okay. Um…
是的 好的
I just finished Amazon yesterday.
我在亚马逊的工作昨天结束的
Okay. Amazon pays through Thursday.
好的 亚马逊会付到周四
And then after that, it’s $375 a month.
在那之后是每月375美元
Well, is there a discount
有折扣吗
if I don’t use the electric and dump,
如果我不用电和厕所的话
’cause I just have my van, you know?
因为我有房♥车
No, but since you’re in a van,
不行 不过既然你有房♥车的话
it’s easy for you to move
你要开到别的地方也很容易
and to go south to a warmer place.
可以去南方 暖和一点的地方
Yeah, but I wanted to get a job around here first.
是没错 但我还是想先在这里找个工作
Oh. Good luck with that.
那要祝你好运了
That’s tough.
很难找的
Bye, Patty. Bye, Fern.
再见 帕蒂 再见 弗恩
We’ll see you next year.
明年见
My husband worked at the USG mine in Empire
我丈夫在美国石膏公♥司♥在恩派尔的矿上工作过
and I worked in human resources there for a few years.
我在那边的人事部门工作了几年
That was my last full-time job.
那是我上一次全职工作
I did a lot of part-time jobs.
我做过很多兼♥职♥工作
I cashiered at the Empire Store.
在恩派尔的商店当过收银员
I was a substitute teacher at the school for five years…
在学校做过五年的代课老师
Didn’t the Empire Mine shut down
恩派尔那边的矿关了之后
and then all of the resident workers had to relocate?
所有员工和居民都要搬走是吧
Yeah, about a year ago.
是的 大概是一年之前
So, when do you need to get back to work?
那么 你什么时候可以开始上班
Now?
随时
It is a tough time right now.
这段时间真的很难
You may want to consider registering for early retirement.
你或许可以考虑申请提前退休
I don’t think I can get by on the benefits, and, um…
我靠养老金活不下去的
I need work.
我需要工作
I like work.
我喜欢工作
I’m not sure exactly what you would be eligible for.
我不确定有什么你可以胜任的工作
Hi, there. Hi!
你好 你好
I’m Rachel. I’m the manager here at Fox Peak.
我是蕾切尔 我是这里的经理
Hi, I’m Fern.
你好 我是弗恩
Hi, Fern.
你好 弗恩
Um, I asked someone, they said I could park here overnight.
我问过 他们说我可以停在这里过夜
Oh, you’re fine. You’re more than welcome.
没问题的 你可以停在这里
But you know, the temperature is gonna drop.
但你知道的 气温还要降
It gets really cold here at night.
晚上可能会非常冷
Yeah, I know. I can tell. Really cold.
是啊 我感觉到了 真的很冷
Yeah.
是啊
I don’t want to overstep my bounds here.
我其实不想多嘴
There is a church down by 7-Eleven.
不过那边7-11旁边有一个教堂
It’s a Baptist church, and they do have open beds.
是个浸信会教堂 有开放的床位
I’m gonna be good.
我在这没事的
Okay. Okay. We’re here if you need anything.
好吧 有什么需要可以来找我们
Thank you.
谢谢
Linda? Linda?
琳达 琳达
Hey.

Shh.

So glad you came.
真高兴你来了
That’s Bob Wells. Sit here. Keep the chair.
那是鲍勃·威尔斯 你可以坐这儿
Thank you.
谢谢
And the odd thing is that we…
问题是
We not only accept the tyranny of the dollar,
我们不仅接受了美元的暴♥政♥
the tyranny of the marketplace,
市场的暴♥政♥
we embrace it.
我们还欣然接受了
We gladly throw the yoke of the tyranny of the dollar on
欣然套上美元暴♥政♥的枷锁
and live by it our whole lives.
然后这样度过了一生
I think of an analogy as a workhorse.
这让我想到了干重活的驮马
The workhorse that is willing to work itself to death
心甘情愿工作到死的驮马
and then be put out to pasture.
最终被放逐到草原
And that’s what happens to so many of us.
这发生在我们很多人身上
If society was throwing us away
如果社会要放弃我们
and sending us, the workhorse, out to the pasture,
把我们这些驮马放逐到草原上
we workhorses had to gather together
我们必须团结起来
and take care of each other.
互相扶持
And that’s what this is all about.
这就是这个地方的目的
The way I see it is that the Titanic is sinking
在我看来 泰坦尼克号♥正在下沉
and economic times are changing.
经济形势也在变化
And so my goal is to get the lifeboats out
所以 我的目标就是放出救生船
and get as many people into the lifeboats as I can.
尽可能让更多人登上救生船
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. There’s plenty.
哦 真丰盛啊
Yeah. We got plenty. Jump and shout.
是啊 我们有很多 尽管来拿
Let you know, huh?
跟你说就好了吧
What’s that? Vegan.
那是什么 全素的
This is vegan.
这是全素的
No, I’m… I’m a carnivore.
不了 我是吃肉的
Okay. Thank you. Yes.
好的 谢谢
Okay. Thank you, though.
好吧 不过还是谢谢了
Looks good. Another carnivore?
看起来不错 还有吃肉的吗
She’s a carnivore. Okay.
她是吃肉的 好吧
Mac ‘n’ cheese.
奶酪通心粉

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!