谢谢
Thank you!
尼克松先生 -呃…
Mr. Nixon! – Uh… Ahem.
我相信布朗州长有良心
I believe Governor Brown has a heart,
即使他认为我没有
even though he believes I do not.
我相信他是一个好美国公民
I believe he’s a good American,
即使他觉得我不是
even though he feels I am not.
我很自豪我捍卫了对手的爱国精神
I’m proud of the fact that I defended my opponent’s patriotism.
尽管你们不一定报道这个 我还是感到自豪
You gentlemen didn’t report it, but I’m proud I did that. And…
当然 如果你们愿意记下我的话
And I would appreciate, for once, gentlemen,
我会很感激
if you would just print what I say.
从希斯案件以来 整整16年了
For 16 years, uh, ever since the Hiss case,
你们找到了不少乐趣
you’ve had a lot of fun. A lot of fun.
可是要承认你们的确有一种责任感
But recognize you have a responsibility,
如果你们反对一位候选人 至少也要给他一枝长矛
if you’re against the candidate, to give him the shaft.
可是如果你这样做了 就至少让一个记者
But if you do that, at least put one lonely reporter on the campaign
来不时地报道这位候选人说的话
who will report what the candidate says now and then.
我想 总的说来 我付出的和回报的都一样多
I think, all in all, I’ve given as good as I’ve taken.
但在我要离开之时
But as I leave you, I…
我希望你们知道 想想你们将失去多少东西
I want you to know, just think what you’re gonna be missing.
你们将不会再看见尼克松出击了
You won’t have Nixon to kick around anymore.
不会再出击了
Kick around anymore.
因为 先生们 这是我最后一次新闻发布会
Because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference.
谢谢 日安 -这是你政♥治♥生涯的终结吗?
Thank you and good day. – Is this the end of politics for you?
你还会回归吗?
Will you run again?
在加利福利亚 我们现在可以正式撰写理查德·米尔豪斯·尼克松的政♥治♥讣告
In California, we can officially write the political obituary
他是一位像林肯一样的小镇律师
of Richard Milhous Nixon. A small town lawyer like Lincoln,
33岁成为众议员 35岁成为参议员
Nixon became a representative at 33 and a senator at 35,
他是战后共和党在国会选举中大举抨击
as part of the postwar Republican sweep of the congressional elections
罗斯福新政的一份子
that attacked FDR’s big-government New Deal.
作为一名南太平洋老兵
Running as a South Pacific veteran,
他战胜了众议员杰里·沃里斯
victories over Congressman Jerry Voorhis
和参议院海伦·加哈根·道格拉斯 这表明
and Senator Helen Gahagan Douglas made it clear that, to Nixon,
对尼克松来而言 政♥治♥就是战争 他没有对手 只有敌人
politics was war. He didn’t have opponents, he had enemies.
怎么 她连内衣都是粉色的!
Why, she’s pink, right down to her underwear!
尼克松成为臭名昭著的
Nixon became one of the leading lights on the notorious
众议院非美活动调查委员会成员之一
House Un-American Activities Committee, questioning labor leaders,
他审问劳工领袖 西班牙内战老兵和好莱坞名人
Spanish Civil War veterans, Hollywood celebrities.
他们都应该滚回俄♥罗♥斯♥ -但正是希斯案
They’d all be sent back to Russia. – But it was the Alger Hiss case
使尼克松成为一个家喻户晓的名字
that made Nixon a household name.
阿尔杰·希斯是联♥合♥国♥的缔造者之一
One of the architects of the United Nations,
也是罗斯福和奥利弗·温德尔·霍姆斯的密友
intimate of FDR and Oliver Wendell Holmes,
他是一名国♥务♥院♥外交官
Alger Hiss was a State Department diplomat
被自♥由♥记者惠特克·钱伯斯指控
accused by freelance journalist Whittaker Chambers
向苏联传递秘密文件
of passing secret documents to the Soviet Union.
希斯在说谎 -希斯声称他是被
Hiss is lying. – Hiss claimed he was being set up
尼克松和埃德加·胡佛陷害 以败坏新政
by Nixon and J. Edgar Hoover to discredit the New Deal’s policies.
我不是 也永远不会是一名共♥产♥党员
I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist party.
这起案件涉及一台安德伍德打字机
The case came down to an Underwood typewriter
和一卷藏在南瓜中的胶卷
and a roll of film hidden in a pumpkin patch.
我问希斯是否认识钱伯斯 当他否认时 我就知道他说谎了
I asked Hiss if he’d known Chambers. When he said no, I knew he was lying.
我就知道我已经抓住他
I knew I had him.
两次审问后 希斯被判伪证罪而非间谍罪
After two trials, Hiss was convicted not of spying but of perjury.
对一些人来说 尼克松是英雄和爱国者
To some, Nixon was a hero and a patriot.
但对大多数人来说 他是个自我推销者
But to many, he was a self-promoter.
埃莉诺·罗斯福曾愤怒地谴责他
Eleanor Roosevelt angrily condemned him.
尼克松继续指责杜鲁门、艾奇逊和民♥主♥党
Nixon continued to tear into Truman, Acheson and the Democratic party
在1949年失去了中国大♥陆♥
for losing mainland China in 1949,
并将朝鲜战争归咎于软弱的外交政策
and blamed the Korean War on a weak foreign policy.
我要揭发 不停地揭发那些出♥卖♥♥♥
I promise to expose and to continue to expose the people that have sold
出♥卖♥♥♥国家的人 -他的演讲虽然比
this country down the river! – His speeches, if more subtle
他的共和党盟友乔·麦卡锡更巧妙 但也同样咄咄逼人
than those of his Republican ally, Joe McCarthy, were just as aggressive.
杜鲁门决策直接导致了
The direct result of Truman’s decision
中国走向了共♥产♥主义
is that China has gone Communist!
毛是个怪物
Mao is a monster! Why?
国♥务♥院♥里有谁在关注美国的利益?
Who in the State Department is watching over American interests?
是谁使苏联有了原♥子♥弹♥的?
Who has given the Russians the atomic bomb?
苏联是奴隶国家发展到极致的一个典例
The Soviet Union is an example of the slave state in the ultimate development.
在更多个人倾向而非政♥治♥的驱使下
Driven by demons that seemed more personal than political,
尼克松在1952年成为艾森豪威尔的副总统候选人
Nixon became Eisenhower’s vice presidential candidate in 1952.
接着发生了跳棋危机
But then came the Checkers crisis.
有人指控尼克松藏有一笔秘密的受贿款
Nixon was accused of hiding a secret slush fund.
他差点被艾克踢出局 结果他以一种从未有过的姿态
About to be kicked off the ticket by Ike, he went live on television…
出现在全国电视上 -向这些观众交待
…in an unprecedented appearance. – …give this television audience
一个完整的财政历史 我挣的每一分钱
a complete financial history. Everything I’ve earned…
这份清单包括他们的房♥子 他们的车子
The list included their house, their Oldsmobile,
帕特的共和党棉衣 最后是一件成为历史的东西
Pat’s Republican cloth coat. And lastly, in what was to become history,
一位德克萨斯商人赠送的礼物
a sentimental gift from a Texas businessman.
你们知道它是什么吗?这是一只装在板条箱里的小可卡猎犬
You know what it was? It was a little cocker spaniel dog in a crate
从德克萨斯远道而来
that he’d sent all the way from Texas,
黑白相间 有斑点 我们6岁的小女儿特里西娅
black and white, spotted. And our little girl Tricia,
给它取名叫跳棋
the six-year-old, named it Checkers.
5800万人收看演讲 -他们像所有孩子一样喜欢狗
Fifty-eight million people saw it. – Like all kids, they love the dog.
真是无♥耻♥之极 别有用心
It was shameless. It was manipulative.
不管别人怎么说 我们要养着它
Regardless of what they say about him, we’re gonna keep him.
这是一次巨大的成功
It was a huge success.
他曾在艾森豪威尔政♥府♥担任过两届副总统
He stayed on the national scene, serving two terms as vice president
在莫斯科厨房♥与赫鲁晓夫展开辩论
under Eisenhower, against Khrushchev at the Kitchen Debate in Moscow
在委内瑞拉被拉丁暴徒用石头砸过 尼克松再一次成为了民族英雄
and stoned by Latin mobs in Venezuela. Nixon once again became a national hero.
但这一切都以1960年和肯尼迪 1962年和帕特·布朗
But it all came to a crashing end against Kennedy in 1960
竞选失败而告终
and Pat Brown in California in ’62.
从而结束了一个伟大的美国政♥治♥故事
And thus ends a great American political story.
实际上 我们都不清楚尼克松到底是怎样的人
The truth is we never knew who Richard Nixon really was,
现在他离开了 我们永远不知道了
and now that he is gone, we never will.
可怜的特里西娅
Poor little Tricia.
我告诉她 她爸爸在杜克大学毕业后却连一份工作都找不着
I told her her daddy couldn’t get a job in this city when he got out of Duke.
每家老牌律师事务所都把我拒之门外 我的模样不对
Every white-shoe lawyer firm turned me down. Didn’t have the right look.
我甚至连联邦调查局都进不去
I couldn’t even get into the FBI.
你看到上周新闻上你的照片了吗 迪克?
Did you catch that picture of you in the news last week, Dick?
你站在第五大街 -是啊
You were standin’ on Fifth Avenue. – Oh, yeah.
你向前看着 而其他人都避着你
You were lookin’ straight ahead and everyone else was lookin’ the other way,
好像你刚放了个屁似的
like you just farted or somethin’.
题目是“谁还记得迪克·尼克松?”
It said, “Who remembers Dick Nixon?”
真不敢相信 我简直要叫出来
Unbelievable. I was screamin’.
是挺滑稽的 玛莎
Yeah, that was hilarious, Martha.
他们望着别处 是等红绿灯变换
They were looking the other direction, waiting for the light to change.
媒体就是这样 我们没法纠正
Typical of the press, they wouldn’t correct it.
我想我们应该在洛奇离开之前抓住他
I think we oughta catch Rocky before he leaves.
我相信只是背运吧 尼克松先生
I’m sure it’s just a little run of bad luck, Mr. Nixon.
他可以朝这个方向走 不是吗?-我不知道
He can walk this direction, can’t he? – Oh, I don’t know.
我读到过一些关于你的好话 -也许是你那儿
I’ve read some nice things about you. – Maybe where you come from.
但在我这儿 迪克·尼克松被人误认为是鸡窝里的一只狐狸
But where I come from, Dick Nixon is as misunderstood as a fox in a henhouse.
而且你知道为什么吗?因为 亲爱的
And do you know why? Because, my darlin’,
他们都认为你的微笑和你的脸
they all think that your smile and your face
永远不会同时出现在同一个地方
are never in the same place at the same time.
我们得为这事想点儿办法 亲爱的
You and me, we’re gonna have to work on that, sweetie.
又有谁给玛莎斟酒了 她都喝了有一夸脱了
Someone freshen Martha’s drink. She’s down a quart.
哎呀妈呀
Well, zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
我想他被我的魅力吓坏了 -我明白
I think he is frightened by my charm. – I know I am.
帕特都受不了她 -她就是这样
Pat can’t stand her. – It’s the thing she does.
她说了一整晚了 -她也说了一整天了
She talks at night. – Talks all day too.
你♥他♥妈♥的怎么受得了她 约翰?
How the hell can you put up with her, John?
我爱她 她床上功夫棒极了
Well, I’m in love with her. And she’s great in bed.
如果洛克菲勒不能成为美国总统
If a Rockefeller can’t become president of the United States,
那民♥主♥还有什么意义呢?
then what is the point of democracy?
民♥主♥的意义在于即使是杂货商的儿子也能当总统
The point of democracy is that even the son of a grocer can become president.
靠近点 迪克 你好吗?
And you came damn close, Dick. How are you?
嗨 约翰 纽约对你不错吧?
Hi, John. New York treating you all right?
真抱歉没来看你
I’m sorry I haven’t been able to see you.
你看上去挺“高兴”嘛 洛奇 -高兴高兴 这是迪克·尼克松
You’re looking happy, Rocky. – Happy. Happy, Dick Nixon.
你记得他 -很高兴再次见面
You remember him. – Nice to see you again.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!