您对伊甸园中的亚当说 自从和蛇有了交易后
you told Adam in the garden, after that business with the snake,
人应该以汗水洗面 自食其力
that man would have to earn his way by the sweat of his face.
天父啊 按我说来
Well, as far as I can tell, Father,
伊甸园的道理在加利福尼亚也一样适用
what was true in Eden is true in Whittier, California.
因此我们请求您提醒我们的年轻人
So we ask you now to remind certain of our young people
为了得到一套新衣服
the only way to get a new suit to go to the promenade with Margaret O’Herlihy,
以便和女孩约会的唯一方法
who happens to be a Catholic, by the way,
就是努力工作 阿门
is to work for it. Amen.
阿门 -阿门
Amen. – Amen.
阿门 -爸爸 我们可以祈祷了吗?
Amen. – Are we gonna pray now, Daddy?
小傻瓜 -你觉得这很好笑吗?
Don’t be silly. – You think this is funny?
或许去一趟木棚就能让你改过自新
Maybe a trip to the wood shed’ll straighten you out.
要不了多久你们就得从这儿滚出去自力更生了
Pretty soon you boys are gonna have to get out there and scratch.
单靠漂亮脸蛋是没用的
‘Cause you’re not gonna get anywhere on your good looks.
去问一问那帮家伙
Just ask those fellas.
慈悲只能使你们落到这种地步
Charity’s only gonna get you so far,
哪怕有你妈妈这样的圣人在身边
even with saints like your mother around.
奋斗赋予生活以意义 不是胜利 是奋斗
Struggle’s what gives life meaning. Not victory, struggle.
一旦你停止奋斗 他们就打败你
When you quit struggling, they’ve beaten you.
然后你就潦倒街头 两手空空
And then you end up in the street with your hand out.
我母亲是个圣人
My mother was a saint,
而我那老头子奋斗了整整一生
but my old man struggled his whole life.
别人可以说他是个小人物 是个穷鬼
They could call him a little man, a poor man,
但他们却打不败他
but they never beat him.
一遇到逆境我就会想起这些
I always tried to remember that, when things didn’t go my way.
我们要打起精神来啊
Let’s really get fired up now!
站好位 尼克松 -28 44
Get on your stand, Nixon! – Twenty-eight, 44!
尼克松在干什么?-他觉得他可以搞定
What’s Nixon doing here? – He thinks he can make it.
他当了4年的候补 可怜的家伙
Four years of being a tackling dummy. Poor guy.
好了 快防守 -传球
All right! Let’s go, defense! – Hike!
他是我见过的最差的运动员 但他有胆量
Worst athlete I’ve ever seen. But he’s got guts.
好 开始 加油
OK, let’s go! Let’s do it!
在加利福尼亚州州长竞选中 尼克松重返政坛
In California’s gubernatorial race, Nixon returned to the political arena
与广受欢迎的现任州长埃德蒙·布朗展开了漫长而激烈的角逐
in a long and acrimonious bid against popular incumbent Edmund G. Brown.
布朗的竞选得到了肯尼迪总统很大程度上的支持
Brown’s campaign has benefited greatly from the support of President Kennedy,
而尼克松则在艰难地说服选民
while Nixon has had trouble convincing voters
这不是又一次总统竞选
this is not another run for the presidency.
仅剩几个选区没有上报
With only a few precincts left unreported,
所有迹象都表明尼克松又一次落选
all indications are of another defeat for Nixon,
两年前 他以极微弱的优势输掉了总统大选
who lost the presidency just two years ago by a paper-thin margin.
他短暂的政♥治♥回归似乎已成泡影
It seems his brief political comeback
做一个声明?
is in ruins. – Making a statement?
这都要感谢菲德尔·卡斯特罗
Thank you, Fidel Castro.
这一回你又要怪罪卡斯特罗吗?-当然了
You’re not going to blame Castro? – I sure am!
都是他妈的导弹危机使整个国家都围在肯尼迪周围
Goddamn missile crisis united the country behind Kennedy.
而肯尼迪又支持布朗 人们怕了
He was supporting Brown. People were scared.
我想卡斯特罗玩这一手就是为了打败你
Castro staged this just to beat you.
在你和别人一起庆祝我落败之前
Before you join the jubilation of my being beaten,
请记住 人们投票不是出于爱 而是恐惧
remember people vote not out of love but fear.
主日学校和惠蒂尔社区剧院可不教这个
They don’t teach that at Sunday school or the Whittier Community Playhouse.
我出去看看 -我真高兴他们没有打败你 迪克
I should go check in with our people. – I’m glad they don’t, Dick.
生活本就艰苦和不公
I’m glad they don’t because life is tough and it is unfair
而有时你在自怜中却忘记了这些
and sometimes you forget that in your self pity.
你忘了 在你和加利福尼亚之前我有自己的生活
You forget sometimes, Dick, that I had a life before you, before California.
混♥蛋♥
Cocksucker!
你不想听听布朗州长的获胜演讲?
Don’t you want to listen to Governor Brown’s victory speech?
不 我再也不要听什么演讲了
Nope. Not going to listen to any more speeches ever again.
上帝保佑
Amen to that.
事情过去了 迪克
It’s over, Dick.
我明天早上就承认竞选失败 -没说那个
I’ll concede in the morning. – Not that.
老伴
Buddy?
我总是支持你
I have always stood by you.
我怀孕的时候 还坚持为你助选
I campaigned for you when I was pregnant.
“跳棋危机”中 艾森豪威尔要你退出 我要你去战斗
During Checkers, when Ike wanted you out, I told you to fight.
但现在不同了 迪克
This is different, Dick.
你变了
You’ve changed.
你已经更加艰难了 好像全世界都在和你作对
You’ve grown more bitter, like you’re at war with the world.
你再也不是以前那样了
You weren’t that way before.
我50岁了 迪克
I’m 50 years old now, Dick.
这些年我走了多少万里的路?
How many millions of miles have I traveled?
和多少我不喜欢的人握过手?
How many millions of peoples’ hands have I shaked I just don’t like?
写了多少封感谢信?
How many thank-you notes have I written?
就好像 好像我睡了许多年
It’s as if I, I don’t know, just went to sleep a long time ago
中间的岁月就这么过去了
and missed the years between.
我受够了
I’ve had enough.
你说什么?你要干什么?
What are you saying? What are you talking about?
我要离婚
I want a divorce.
天哪 离婚?孩子们呢?
My God. Divorce? What about the girls?
孩子们会长大的 反正他们也只能从电视里才能见到你
The girls’ll grow up. They only know you from television anyway.
这会毁了我们 还有我们的家 -不 是你在毁掉我们
It’ll ruin us, our family. – No, you’re ruining us.
如果我还和你在一起 你会把我们一起拖垮的
If we stay with you, you’ll take us down with you.
这不是政♥治♥ 这是我们的生活
This isn’t political. This is our life.
一切都是政♥治♥
Everything’s political.
我是政♥治♥ 你也是政♥治♥ -不 我不是 我不干了
I’m political, you’re political. – No, I’m not. I’m finished.
这正是他们求之不得的 老伴
Well, this is just what they want, Buddy.
你看出来了吗?
Don’t you see?
他们就是想离间我们 打败我们
They want to drive us apart, to beat us.
我们不能让他们得逞
We can’t let them do it.
我们在一起度过了风风雨雨
We’ve been through too much together.
我们是属于彼此的
We belong together.
我们第一次见面时 你就是这样说的
That’s what you said the first time we met.
那时你甚至还不认识我
You didn’t even know me.
是啊
Oh, yes, I did.
我向你求婚 记得吗?
I asked you to marry me, didn’t I?
就在第一次约会时
On our first date.
我说因为我知道
I said it because I knew…
我知道你就是唯一
I knew you were the one.
那么执着
So solid.
那么坚强
So strong.
那么美丽 -你好 我叫帕特·瑞安
So beautiful. – Hi, I’m Pat Ryan.
我是理查德·尼克松 -很高兴认识你
Richard Nixon. – It’s a pleasure to meet you.
很高兴认识你
Pleasure to meet you.
某种程度上 是的
Well, in a way, yes.
别告诉我你要离开我
Don’t tell me you’ve been cutting my part.
当然不 亲爱的 你知道我永远不会欺骗你 对吧?
Of course, honey, you know I would never deceive you. Don’t you?
你是我见到过的最美丽的人
You were the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen.
我不能没有你
I don’t want to lose you.
不能 -迪克 不要
Ever. – Dick, don’t.
你真的要我退出政坛?
You really want me to quit?
那样我们会快乐些的
We can be happy.
真的
We really can.
孩子们和我都爱你
The girls and I love you, Dick.
如果我退出
And if I stop,
你就不会再提离婚了?
there’ll be no more talk of divorce?
好 我退出
I’ll do it. No more.
真的吗?
Are you serious?
对 我退出
Yeah. I’m out.
这是真的吗?
Is that the truth?
我发誓不会再竞选了
I’ll never run again. I promise.

Yeah.
我爱你 老伴
I love you, Buddy.
我爱你
I love you.
我爱你
I love you.
他们在哪儿?
Where are they?
你不必做声明的 -不行
You don’t have to make a statement. – No!
先生们 尼克松先生是一位在失败中仍能保持风度的人
Gentlemen, I can tell you Mr. Nixon is a man who is graceful in defeat,
如果他能到来的话
and if he was here with us…
能不能请大家静一静?
Can I have some quiet, please?
等一下
Give the… Just a second!
静一静 请安静
Some quiet, please. Quiet!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!