上帝
God.
怎么…
How can a…
一个国家怎么能够这样四分五裂?
How can a country come apart like this?
我做错了什么?
What have I done wrong?
我打开了中国的大门 和苏联建立起和平
I opened China. I made peace with Russia.
结束了战争
I ended the war.
我做了认为正确的事
I did what I thought was right.
上帝啊 为什么他们这么恨我?
God, why do they hate me so?
难以相信啊 简直疯了
It’s unbelievable. It… It’s insane.
啊 妈妈 我很抱歉 上帝 请原谅我 我不是故意的
Oh, Mom, I’m sorry. God, please forgive me, God. I didn’t mean it.
我从来不想做…我不想这样…是我吗?
I never wanted to do… I don’t want this to… Is it me?
一切真的发生了吗?我不信….
Is this happening? I can’t believe…
艾尔
Al.
他们这回在我身上闻到了血的气味 我示弱了 知道么?
They smelled the blood on me this time, Al. I got soft, you know?
一种生锈的金属的气味
A rusty, metallic smell.
我非常了解 先生 -它来自越南 你知道么?
I know it well, sir. – It came over from Vietnam, you know?
先生?-那种气味
Sir? – That smell.
我是说 每个人都受了许多苦
I mean, everyone suffered so much.
他们的儿子死了
Their boys killed.
他们需要牺牲一些东西
They need to sacrifice something.
为了满足战神们
You know, appease the gods of war.
玛尔斯 朱庇特
Mars, Jupiter.
我就是那血 将军
I am that blood, General.
我就是那祭献品
I am that sacrifice.
至高无上的那种
In the highest place of all.
所有的领导人到头来都得被祭献掉
Yeah. All leaders must finally be sacrificed.
事情不会老是这个样子
Things won’t be the same after this.
我遵守规则 可规则在比赛当中改变了
No, I played by the rules. Rules changed right in the middle of the game.
不再有对美国社会制度的尊重
There’s no respect for American institutions anymore.
人们玩世不恭
No, people are cynical.
新闻界失去了控制
The press, ah, the press is out of control.
人们朝士兵吐唾沫
People spit on soldiers.
政♥府♥的秘密一钱不值
Government secrets mean nothing.
我为下一个坐在这儿的家伙而感到悲哀
I pity the next guy who sits here.
晚安 先生们
Good night, gentlemen.
再会
Mr. President.
当人们看向你的时候 他们看到自己的榜样
When they look at you, they see what they want to be.
当人们看向我的时候 他们看到了自己的本质
When they look at me, they see what they are.
迪克 别这样
Dick, please don’t.
我不能
I can’t.
我只是不能再有力量
I don’t have the strength anymore.
很快就会过去的
It’ll be over soon.
不 现在刚刚开始
No, it’s going to start now.
哎 老伴 我要是能够睡觉
Oh, Buddy. If I could just sleep.
我要是能够睡觉 -会有时间的
If I could just sleep. – There’ll be time for that.

Yeah.
你知道么 小时候有一次我病了
You know, once when I was sick as a boy,
我妈妈给了我这东西 要我吞下去
my mother gave me this stuff and she made me swallow it.
它让我吐了她一身
It made me throw up all over her.
我真希现在也能这样做
I wish I could do that now.
我害怕
I’m so afraid.
外面好黑啊
There’s darkness out there.
以前我一直能够看到自己正走向哪里 可现在外面一片漆黑
I could always see where I was going. But it’s dark out there.
上帝啊 我一直害怕黑暗
God, I’ve always been afraid of the dark.
老伴
Buddy.
有许多好的职业 这个国家需要好的农民
There are many fine careers. This country needs good farmers,
好的商人 好的管子工
good businessmen, good plumbers
好的木匠
good carpenters.
我想起我的老父亲
I remember my old man.
我想人们会称他是一个
I think that they would have called him sort of a,
小人物 普通人
sort of a little man, a common man.
可他不这么看自己
Well, he didn’t consider himself that way.
你们知道他干过什么吗?他先是当过街车司机
You know what he was? He was a streetcar motorman first.
然后是一个农民
Then he was a farmer.
然后他有了一座柠檬园
Then he had a lemon ranch.
我敢保证那是全加利福尼亚州最穷的柠檬园
It was the poorest lemon ranch in California, I can assure you.
他卖♥♥掉农场的时候 里面还没有被发现藏有石油
He sold it before they found oil on it.
再后来他又开了一家杂货店
Then he was a grocer.
但他是一个了不起的人
But he was a great man
因为他干好了自己的活儿
because he did his job.
他干过的每一项职业无不精益求精
And every job counts up to the hilt
不管发生什么
regardless of what happens.
也许永远不会有人为我母亲写一本书
Nobody will ever write a book, probably, about my mother.
我想你们所有人都会用同样一句话 形容你们的母亲
Well, I guess all of you would say this about your mother.
我母亲是个圣人
My mother was a saint.
我回想她的一生 她有两个儿子死于肺结核
And I think of her two boys dying of tuberculosis
她看着他们死去 当他们去世时…
and seeing each of them die. And when they died…
是的 不会有书写到她的
Yes, she will have no books written about her.
可她是个圣人
But she was a saint.
好了 现在我们要展望未来
Now, however, we look to the future.
我记得西奥多·罗斯福
I remember something, uh, Theodore Roosevelt wrote
在他的第一位妻子去世时写过一些话
when his first wife died in his twenties.
他以为生活中的光芒永远熄灭了
He thought the light had gone from his life forever.
但他坚持下来 不仅当了总统
But he went on, and he not only became president
而且作为前总统 他为他的国家服务
but as an ex-president, he served his country
永远就像在竞技场上战斗 风云变幻 对手强大
always in the arena, tempestuous, strong,
有时做对 有时做错
sometimes right, sometimes wrong.
但他是一个真正的人
But he was a man.
我即将离开 这是一个很好的例子 我们所有人都应该记住
And as I leave that’s an example I think all of us should remember.
有时 我们会觉得事情糟透了
See, we think sometimes when, things happen that don’t go the right way;
当我们爱人死去时
we think that when someone dear to us dies,
当输掉一次选举时
when we lose an election,
或者当我们被击败时 就会那么想
or when we suffer defeat that all is ended.
但这不是真的 它永远只是一个开始
Not true. It’s only a beginning, always,
因为生命中的伟大时刻并不仅仅是那些成功的时刻
because the greatness comes, not when things go always good for you,
也包括那些考验你的时刻
but the greatness comes when you’re really tested,
打击你的时刻 你失望的时刻
when you take some knocks, some disappointments
你悲伤的时刻
when sadness comes.
因为只有当你身处最深的山谷
Because only if you’ve been in the deepest valley
你才会知道在最高的山峰之上
can you ever know how magnificent it is
将是何等壮美
to be on the highest mountain.
所以 我要对在场的人说
So, I say to you on this occasion,
我们即将离开 为那些站在我们身边 为我们
we leave, proud of the people who have stood by us and worked for us
为政♥府♥ 为国家工作过的人感到骄傲
and served this government and this country.
如果你们愿意 我们希望你们继续
We want you to continue to serve in government
在政♥府♥任职
if that is what you wish.
记住 永远竭尽全力
Remember, always give your best.
永远不要失去勇气 永远不要成为心胸狭窄的人
Never get discouraged. Never be petty.
永远要记得 可能有人会恨你
Always remember, others may hate you.
但是那些恨你的人不会赢 除非你也恨他们
But those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them.
那样的话 你就毁了你自己
And then, you destroy yourself.
那么 我们带着巨大的希望 良好的精神 深深的谦卑离开
And so we leave with high hopes and good spirits and with deep humility.
我对你们所能说的就是
And I say to each and every one of you,
我们不仅会永远记住你们
not only will we always remember you
还会将你们放到我们的心上
but always, you will be in our hearts.
每一次祈祷的时候都将想到你们
And you’ll be in our prayers.
只有这样 你们才能找到我们贵格会信徒所说的“内心平静”
And only then will you find what we Quakers call “peace at the center”.
他以智慧、活力和对职责的忠诚奉献了自己
He gave of himself with intelligence and energy and devotion to duty.
1994年4月26日 五位前总统出席了理查德·尼克松的葬礼
Richard Nixon was buried and honored by five presidents on April 26, 1994.
其爱妻帕特·尼克松先于他一年去世
Less than a year after his beloved wife, Pat, had died.
尼克松总说 如果他没有被人从办公室里赶出来
Nixon always maintained that if he had not been driven from office
北越也就不会在1975年占领南方
the North Vietnamese would not have overwhelmed the South in 1975.
另外 柬埔寨政♥权♥不会被颠覆 大屠♥杀♥不会发生
In a sideshow, Cambodian society was destroyed and mass genocide resulted.
20世纪下半叶将被称为尼克松时代
The second half of the 20th century will be known as the age of Nixon.
在他离世后 美苏又回到了十年军备升级
ln his absence, Russia and the United States returned to a decade
和近于战争的边缘
of high-budget military expansion and near war.
福特总统赦免了尼克松
Nixon, who was pardoned by President Ford,
泥克松撰写了六本书并作为前国家领导在世界各地旅行
lived to write six books and travel the world as an elder statesman.
在他的余生中 他成功地捍卫了自己的录音带
For the remainder of his life, he fought successfully to protect his tapes.
全国资料馆用了14年时间对这些录音带进行编目和整理
The National Archives spent 14 years indexing and cataloging them.
在长达四千小时的录音里 只有六小时被公布于众
Out of 4,000 hours, 60 hours have been made public.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!