我们走吧 -他告诉我
So let’s go. – Told me to take you
带您到他的会议室 -不 去办公室
to his conference room. – No, his office.
我想私下里和他谈谈 我不想让人窃听
I want a private conversation with him. I don’t wanna be bugged.
那么就去他的办公室 -行
Then his office will be fine. – OK.
好吧
All right.
工作干得怎么样 鲍勃?-糟透了
How’s the job going, Bob? – Frankly, it stinks, sir.
我无权过问
I have no access.
我们呆会儿看看 -他很紧张 先生
We’ll see to that. – He’s nervous, sir.
他听说您正在物色新的局长
He’s heard you’re looking for a new director.
可他的表现肯定不像有这回事 -赫尔姆斯就是这样
Certainly isn’t acting like it. – That’s Helms.
他很沉着 一个世界级的扑克牌好手
He’s the epitome of sang-froid. A world-class poker player.
是吗?哼 那我就是赌场老板
Yeah? Well, I own the fucking casino.
迪克 不胜荣幸 您终于大老远跑来弗吉利亚
I’m honored, Dick, that you’ve come all the way out here
拜访我们了
to Virginia to visit us at last.
我的朋友都叫我“总统先生” -那我也该这样
My friends call me Mr. President. – Then so shall I.
赫尔姆斯先生 -去弄点咖啡来
Mr. Helms. – Arrange for some coffee,
可以吗 库什曼将军?
will you, General Cushman?
先生们 请吧
Gentleman, please.
鲍勃·库什曼是海军陆战队中将
Bob Cushman is a lieutenant general in the Marine Corps,
中情局副局长
deputy director of the CIA.
你就这么支使他?-我没挑他来作我的副手
This is what you use him for? – I didn’t choose him as my deputy.
是您挑来的 -你在这儿挺安逸的嘛
You did. – You live pretty well out here.
我明白你为什么对预算保密了
I understand why you keep your budgets classified.
我猜您不高兴了
I suppose you’re unhappy…
因为我们没有实施您的“国内情报”计划
…because I haven’t implemented your domestic intelligence plan.
你说的没错
Yeah, you’re correct.
不管别人知不知道 我担心这些学生
I’m concerned these students are being funded by foreign interests
正在得到外国势力的资助 联邦调查局在这方面毫无用处
whether they know it or not. The FBI’s useless in this area.
我要你把全部精力都用在这件事上
I want your full attention on this matter.
我们已经试过了 可到目前为止尚无收获
We’ve tried, but so far we’ve come up with nothing.
那就去发现点什么 我要求阻止那些泄密活动
Then find something! I want these leaks stopped.
杰克·安德森 《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》 国♥务♥院♥
Jack Anderson, The New York Times, the State Department.
我要知道是谁在泄密 -我肯定您知道
I wanna know who’s talking. – I’m sure you realize
这是一个棘手的领域
that this is a tricky area,
要考虑我们的职权范围和国会监察委员会
given our charter and the Congressional oversight committee.
去他妈的国会监察 我知道在50年代
Screw congressional oversight. I know damn well, going back to the ’50s
想汇报什么就汇报什么 并隐藏起来
this agency reports what it wants and buries what it wants.
这事要小心点 -还有什么事情令您不安
Pay close attention to this. – Is something else bothering you?
有啊
Yes.
一些旧得被人遗忘的文件
It involves some old and forgotten papers…
我当副总统时签署的
…things I signed as vice president.
我要把原件放到我的办公室里 并且不希望复印件出现在别的地方
I want the original in my office and I don’t want copies anywhere else.
我想 您是指
You’re referring, I believe,
作为副总统时
to chairing the special operations group
主持的“特别行动组” -对
as vice president. – Yeah.
您知道 那是独一无二的
As you know, that was unique.
不是一次正常的行动
Not an operation so much as an organic phenomenon.
它发展 变形
It grew, it changed shape,
变得贪得无厌
it developed appetites.
在这种情况下 事情没有落在纸上并不罕见
It’s not unusual in such cases that things aren’t committed to paper.
可能有些尴尬
That could be very embarrassing.
我就会确保我的名字绝不与这些行动扯上关系
I, for one, saw to it that my name was never connected with these operations.
迪埃姆
Diem.
特鲁希略
Trujillo.
卢蒙巴
Lumumba.
危地马拉
Guatemala.
伊朗
Iran.
古巴
Cuba.
迪克 很遗憾你没有采取类似的预防措施
It’s a shame you didn’t take similar precautions, Dick.
我对那些把你们的人和不法分子牵连起来的文件
I’m interested in those documents that put your people together
很感兴趣
with the gangster elements.
所有文件 -肯尼迪总统威胁过
All the documents. – President Kennedy threatened
要把中情局辗个粉碎
to smash the CIA into 1,000 pieces.
您也可以这样做
You could do the same.
我不是杰克·肯尼迪
I’m not Jack Kennedy. Uh…
你的组织还是安全的 -那是我把资料交给你之前
Your agency is secure. – Not if I give you all the cards.
我向美国人♥民♥承诺过要和平且体面地解决东南亚问题
I promised the American people peace with honor in Southeast Asia.
这还需要时间 大概两三年吧
That may take time. Two, maybe three years.
但与此同时 你的机构将继续
But, in the meantime, your agency will continue
维持目前的经费
at current levels of funding.
目前的经费可能不够
Current levels may not be sufficient.
总统可以支持合理的增加经费
Well, the president will support a reasonable request for an increase.
那我呢?
And me?
你当然可以继续当中情局的局长
Of course, you will continue as DCI, Dick.
你的工作干得相当不错
You’re doing a magnificent job.
我当然接受 蒙您夸奖
Of course, I accept. I’m flattered.
而且我想让您知道 我只为一个总统工作
And I want you to know that I serve only one president at a time.
对 而且你将给库什曼将军以实权
Yes. And you’ll give General Cushman full access.
这可需要点时间
It could take a little time.
但我会下令寻找您要的文件
But I’ll order a search for your papers.
好 -尽管这样会
Good. – It does raise…
引出烦人的问题 -什么?
…a troubling issue. – What?
卡斯特罗
Castro.
怎么?-我们最近得到情报
Yes? – We have recent intelligence
有一艘苏联核潜艇
that a Soviet nuclear submarine
停泊在西恩富戈斯 -我们将发表一个正式的抗♥议♥
has docked at Cienfuegos. – We’ll launch a formal protest.
我认为我们不便正式提出
I don’t think we can treat this as a formality.
当年肯尼迪先生向苏联人口头保证不入侵古巴
Mr. Kennedy gave the Russians a verbal promise that he would not invade Cuba.
但您却授权基辛格把它写成白纸黑字
But you authorized Dr. Kissinger to put this in writing?
你窃听基辛格了?-我的工作就是了解别人不想让我了解的事情
Are you tapping Kissinger? – My job, unpleasant at times,
尽管有时令人不愉快
is to know what others don’t want me to know.
要不是因为白宫里出了间谍 这就不是你的工作
Not if you have spies in the White House.
侦察总统不属于我的工作
It is not my practice to spy on the president.
是基辛格自己向全世界散布他最核心的秘密的
Dr. Kissinger manages to convey his innermost secrets to the world without my help.
迪克
Dick…
我们已经和古巴的共♥产♥主义相处了十年了
We’ve lived with communism in Cuba for ten years.
但政♥府♥从来没有承认这一事实的政策
But it’s never been the policy of this government to accept that.
肯定也不是中情局的政策 -中情局的政策?
And it’s certainly not CIA policy. – CIA policy?
除了我授权给你的 中♥央♥情报局没有政策
The CIA has no policy except what I dictate to you.
我试图根据今天的世界
I tried to, uh, adjust to the world as it is today,
而不是你或我十年前希望的局势做出调整
not as you or I wanted it to be ten years ago.
这就是你和基辛格正在和中国人谈判的原因?
Is that why you and Kissinger are negotiating with the Chinese?
这是一个极端危险的方向 总统先生
This is a very dangerous direction, Mr. President.
如此巨大的判断错误会导致可怕的后果
Terrible consequences can result from such enormous errors of judgment.
如果我们将中国与苏联彻底分离
If we were able to separate China from Russia once and for all,
我们可以建立一种力量制衡
we can, we could create a balance of power
确保和平延续到下个世纪
that would secure peace into the next century.
于是就把古巴作为安慰奖拱手让给苏联人?
And offer Cuba to the Russians as a consolation prize?
古巴只是一个微小的代价 -肯尼迪总统也这么想
Cuba would be a small price to pay. – So President Kennedy thought.
我从没觉得肯尼迪是当总统的料
I never thought Kennedy was ready for the presidency.
好吧
Well, now…
可我也从来…呃
…I would never, uh…
从来没想到
…never consider…
他的死是可怕的
His death was awful.
对这个国家来说是一件可怕的事
It was an awful thing for this country.

Yeah.
你从没想过死亡吗 迪克?
Do you ever think of death, Dick?
鲜花总是提醒我 人总有一死
Flowers are a continual reminder of our mortality.
您喜欢花吗?-不喜欢
Do you appreciate flowers? – No.
它们让我受不了 闻起来有死的气息
No, they make me sick and they smell like death.
我的两个兄弟都在年轻时死了
I had two brothers die young.
可是我要告诉你
Let me tell you,
还有比死亡更坏的事情
there are worse things than death.

Yes.
那就是邪恶
There’s such a thing as evil.
您肯定熟悉我最喜欢的诗
You must be familiar with my favorite poem by Yeats,
叶芝的《基♥督♥重临》
The Second Coming.
爱尔兰诗人 非常动人
Black Irish, very moving.
在向外扩张的旋体上旋转呀旋转呀
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
猎鹰再也听不到主人的呼唤
The falcon cannot hear the falconer

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!