这不是对柬埔寨的侵略
This is not an invasion of Cambodia.
我们采取这次行动的目的不是把战争扩大到柬埔寨
We take this action not for the purpose of expanding the war into Cambodia,
而是为了结束在越南的战争
but for the purpose of ending the war in Vietnam.
全国上下
All across the nation,
学生们与警♥察♥展开战斗
major student protests against the U.S. invasion
抗♥议♥入侵柬埔寨
of Cambodia rocked college campuses.
杰克逊州立大学有2名黑人学生被杀 10人受伤
At Jackson State, two Negro students were killed and ten were wounded.
一致团结在… -纽约的街头
…unanimously and united behind… – In the streets of New York,
抗♥议♥者遭到
protesters were attacked by construction workers
支持尼克松总统政策的建筑工人的攻击
supporting President Nixon’s policies.
在华盛顿 抗♥议♥者在白宫设置路障
In Washington, protesters have barricaded the White House
并在林肯纪念堂露营
and are camping out at the Lincoln Memorial.
我一想到在国外履行职责孩子们
See, when I think of those kids out there in Vietnam doing their duty,
我肯定他们是神圣的 我在那儿的时候就这么觉得
uh, I bet they were sacred. I was when I was there.
然而当真正到了那个时候
But when it comes down to it,
你必须要尊敬这些男子汉 他们是最伟大的
you really have to look up to these men because they’re the greatest.
你们看那些无理取闹的家伙
I mean, you see these bums, you know,
他们放火烧校园 烧书 无所不为
blowing up the campuses, burning books and so forth.
他们自称“花童”(嬉皮运动的一个流派)
And they call themselves “flower children.”
我说他们是被惯坏的败家子 我告诉你什么能治好他们
I call them spoiled rotten. And I tell you what would cure them.
去俄亥俄我父亲的木棚好好地做一次旅行 对吧 朱丽叶
A good, old-fashioned trip to my Ohio father’s woodshed. Right, Julie?
对 爸爸 -他们就需要这个
Right, Dad. – That’s what these bums need.
谢谢 祝贺你 -谢谢 先生
Well, thanks and congratulations. – Thank you, sir.
好 谢谢各位 再见
Yeah. OK. Thanks, everybody. Bye.
全世界都在瞩目
The whole world is watching.
在尼克松总统称他们为“闹事者”后不到24小时
Less than 24 hours after President Nixon called them bums,
四名学生在俄亥俄州肯特大学被枪击身亡
four students were shot dead at Kent State University in Ohio.
全国各地被激怒的学生在呼吁
Enraged student groups are calling
举♥行♥罢♥课♥ 关闭校园
for a general strike tomorrow to shut down…
我告诉你 士兵们被激怒了 好了 别再畏手畏脚了
I tell you, the soldiers were provoked. Now, stop this pussyfooting around.
上帝啊 死孩子们
Jesus Christ, dead kids.
我们怎么会给民♥主♥党人这样的武器?
How the hell did we give the Democrats a weapon like this?
不管怎样 肯特大学的事很糟糕
Well, one way or the other, Kent State is not good.
在这件事上我们不得不挺身而出 -钱是万能的
We have to get out in front of this. – Follow the money.
先生?-这些孩子是被共♥产♥党
Sir? – These kids are manipulated
操纵的 就像钱伯斯和希斯
by the Communists, like Chambers and Hiss.
你怎么了?
What’s the matter with you?
已经不是48年了 他们绝不会吃这一套 -你怎么知道 约翰?
This isn’t ’48. They’ll never buy it. – How do you know that, John?
上帝啊 胡佛到底找到了什么?
What’s Hoover found, for God’s sake?
有一天他打电♥话♥说找哈丁总统
He called the other day, sir. He asked for President Harding.
或许我们可以有一个全国祈祷日 -不抱怨 不解释
We can have a national prayer day. – Never complain, never explain.
拜托 这不是大学生联谊会的恶作剧 约翰
Come on, these are not fraternity pranks, John.
是无政♥府♥状态 是一场革命
No, this is anarchy. It’s a revolution.
我不清楚我会不会走到那一步 先生 -为什么不?
I wouldn’t go that far, sir. – Why not?
那场战争就值得如此兴师动众?值一届总统任期?
Well, is it worth it, sir? I mean, is the war worth a one-term presidency?
我在想我们期待的到底是什么
Right now I think that’s what we’re looking at.
我不会沦为第一个吃败仗的美国总统
I will not go down as the first American president to lose a war.
进入柬埔寨 轰炸河内、老挝给了我们时间
Going to Cambodia, bombing Hanoi, bombing Laos buys us time
我们才能撤出来 也给南越一次战斗的机会
so we can get out and give the South Vietnamese a chance.
正是 先生 -只要我们动脑筋 就能赢
Exactly, sir. – If we keep our heads, we’ll win this.
赢什么?赢越南 先生?-不
What, win Vietnam, sir? – No, no.
但我们可以把一个楔子钉进共♥产♥主义同盟的心脏
No, but we can drive a stake through the heart of the Communist alliance.
亨利刚刚收到来自中国人的强烈信♥号♥♥
Henry’s getting strong signals from the Chinese.
比起苏联人 他们更担心越南人
They fear the Vietnamese more than the Russians
而且他们担心一个统一的越南
and they’re worried about a united Vietnam.
如果我们坚持到底 最终就可以
Now, if we stick it out, we’ll end up negotiating separately
与中国和苏联分别谈判
with both the Chinese and the Soviets.
而且我们会从他们双方得到比我们想象中更好的筹码
And we’ll get better deals than we ever dreamed of from both.
这就叫三角外交 -十分正确 总统先生
That is triangular diplomacy. – Exactly, Mr. President.
这就是地缘政♥治♥
That’s what geopolitics is about.
全世界是被自我利益连结在一起的
The linking of the whole world for self-interest.
罗恩 你说我怎么能在电视上
You tell me, Ron, how the hell I can explain that on TV
向一群头脑简单的记者和以泪洗面的母亲解释这些呢
to a bunch of simpleminded reporters and, uh, weeping mothers.
可我该如何向新闻界解释
But what am I telling the press
肯特州立大学发生的事呢?-随便
about Kent State? – Tell ’em what the hell you like.
反正他们永远也搞不明白 -抱歉 先生
They don’t understand anyway. – Excuse me, sir.
您是在说要承认红色中国
Are you saying you’re gonna recognize Red China?
这样我们会失去最强大的支持者
That would cost us our strongest support.
不会的 我能处理 因为我整个职业生涯
No, I can do this because I spent my whole career
都在建立反♥共♥资历 -如果肯尼迪或约翰逊这样干
building anti-Communist credentials. – If Kennedy or Johnson tried it,
人们早名正言顺地把他们钉在十字架上了
they’d have crucified them, and rightfully so.
太危险了 总统先生 您为什么不等到第二届任期呢?
Damned risky, Mr. President. Why don’t we wait until the second term?
这将为他带来第二届任期 -这将带给我第二届任期
This will get us a second term. – This will get me a second term.
他妈的 没有危险就没有英雄主义和历史
Damn it, without risk, there’s no heroism, there’s no history.
我尼克松生来就是推动历史的
Nixon was born to do this. Give history a nudge.
来吧 -赞同
Come on! – Hear, hear.
如果柬埔寨行动不见效 有必要的话我们就轰炸河内
If Cambodia doesn’t work, we’ll bomb Hanoi if we have to.
就这样!如有必要 我就扔个大家伙
That’s right. And if necessary, I’ll drop the big one.
我们必须见机行事
We have to entertain the possibility.
该死!谁他妈做的这块牛排?
Goddamn it! Who cooked this damn steak?
马诺洛 我的盘子里都是血 拿走
Manolo, there’s blood all over my plate. Take it away.
抱歉 先生
I’m sorry, sir.
您没事吧?
You all right?

Yeah.
我哥哥哈罗德也差不多是这群孩子的年纪 约翰
My brother, Harold, was the same age as those kids, John.
他死于肺结核 -那不是您的错
Tuberculosis got him. – It wasn’t your fault.
士兵也是孩子 他们被吓到了
The soldiers were kids too. They just panicked.
是啊
Yeah.
他们扔石头 约翰 就扔石头
They were throwing rocks, John, just rocks.
他们以为我没感觉
They don’t think I feel,
但有时我感觉到太多东西了
but I feel too much sometimes.
我只是不能让整个政策被我们的多愁善感所左右
I just can’t let a whole policy be dominated by our sentimentality.
您现在的决定是对的 别让他们动摇您
You’re doing the right thing. Don’t let ’em shake you.
哈罗德死的时候我心都碎了
You know, it broke my heart when Harold died.
那是很久以前的事了
That was a long time ago.
是啊
Yeah.
我认为一切从还是个小孩的时候就开始了
I think that’s when it starts, when you’re a kid.
人们嘲笑你 冷落你 藐视你
The laughs and snubs and slights you get
就因为你穷 是爱尔兰人
because you’re poor or Irish
是犹太人 或者长得丑
or Jewish or just ugly.
别想这些了 无济于事
Get off that. That leads nowhere.
你应该向这些孩子的家庭表示慰问
But you should offer condolences to the families of those kids.

Sure.
我个人愿意表示慰问
I’d like to. I’d like to offer my condolences.
但作为尼克松不行
But Nixon can’t.
全国各地愤怒的学生团体
Enraged student groups across the country
号♥召明天举♥行♥大罢♥课♥
are calling for a general strike tomorrow
关闭整个大学体系 直到越战结束
to shut down the entire university system until the Vietnam War is ended.
这跟委内瑞拉比起来算不了什么
Oh, this is nothing compared to Venezuela.
我当副总统的时候 艾克派我去那儿当挡箭牌
When I was vice president, Ike sent me down there like a blocking tackle.
他们扔石头 砸破我们的车窗
They threw rocks, broke out windows.
几乎把汽车掀翻了 读读《六次危机》吧 鲍勃
Almost overturned the car. Read Six Crises, Bob.
我读过 先生 -帕特才叫勇敢呢
I did, sir. – Pat was brave.
他们来真的 干嘛停车?快走快走
Jesus, they’re serious. Why are we stopping? Come on, move it!
天啊 -抓住那个小混♥蛋♥
Jesus! – Get that little punk!
去啊 抓他
Tackle! Go on, get him!
让我想起了在惠蒂尔的日子
Yeah. Reminds me of my days at Whittier.
这些孩子真没用 -可能考试不及格
These kids are useless. – Probably flunking.
无所事事 只能追追女孩儿
Nothing to do except come here and chase girls.
是父母的错 他们在毒害上层阶级 鲍勃
Their parents’ fault. They’re poisoning the upper class, Bob.
太懦弱 太多车 太多彩电 -别忘了南部和西部
Too soft, too many cars, color TVs. – Don’t forget the South, the West.
有好的橄榄球大学 拥护您的多于反对您的
Good football colleges. More with than against you.
别忘了他们只是孩子 还没有投票权
Let’s not forget they’re just kids. They don’t vote.
罗马帝国就是这样崩溃的 你没看见吗?
This is the fall of the Roman Empire. Are you blind?
我们还往塑像上遮无花果树叶
We’re putting the fig leaves on the statues.
总统先生
Mr. President.
鲍勃 -我不知道该说什么 先生
Bob. – I don’t know what to say, sir.
我们刚接到特勤部通知 说您已经上路了
Soon as we learned from the Secret Service that you were en route,
已经通知局长了 他马上就到
the director was notified. He should be here.
他跑到哪儿去了?-正从网球场往回赶呢
So where the hell is he? – Rushing back from his tennis game.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!