You never tried to cure yourself of it, because you did not choose to.
你自己从来没有想法治疗过, 因为你不愿意
lt was a small effort of will, which you were not ready to make.
这只需要意志上稍作努力, 可是你就是不肯
For example…
举一个例子来说明…
which power is Oceania at war with?
眼前大洋国是在同哪个国家打仗?
Eastasia.
东亚国
Oceania is at war with Eastasia.
大洋国是在同东亚国打仗
Eastasia.
东亚国
Good.
很好
And Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia, has it not?
大洋国一直在同东亚国打仗,是不是?
Tell me what you think you remember.
把你以为你记得的告诉我
l remember…
我记得…
that until only a week before l was arrested…
在我被捕前一个星期…
we weren’t at war with Eastasia at all.
我们还没有同东亚国打仗
lt was Eurasia.
战争的对象是欧亚国
That lasted four years, l think.
我想,战争持续了四年
Another example.
再举一个例子
A serious delusion.
非常严重的幻觉
Photographs about which you’ve had hallucinations…
关于你有幻觉的照片…
which you believed you held in your hand.
你以为你的手里真的握到过这张照片
They never existed.
他们从没有存在过
Say what you were about to say, Winston.
说出你要说的话,温斯顿
They exist…
他们是存在的
in memory.
在记忆中
l remember.
我记得
You remember.
你也记得
l do not remember.
我不记得
Only the disciplined mind can see reality, Winston.
只有经过训练的头脑才能看清现实
lt needs an act of self-destruction…
这需要自我毁灭
an effort of the will.
这是一种意志上的努力
Do you remember writing in your diary:
还记得你在日记中写道:
”Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two equals four”?
“所谓自♥由♥即可以说二加二等于四的自♥由♥,”?
Yes.
是的
How many fingers am l holding up?
我举的是几个手指?
Four.
四个
And if the Party says there are not four, but five, then how many?
如果党说不是四个而是五个 ——那么你说是多少?
Five.
五个
No.

That’s no use. You’re lying.
不,这没有用,你在说谎
How many fingers, please?
多少手指?
Four. What else could l say?
四个,我还能说别的吗?
Five, or anything you like. Will you please stop it?
五个,或者你爱说几个就是几个, 求求你能停下吗?
Stop the pain.
停止痛苦
How can l help it?
我该怎么作?
How can l help what l see in front of my eyes?
我该怎么看待我眼前的东西?
Two and two makes four.
二加二等于四
Sometimes, Winston.
有时候,温斯顿
Sometimes they are five, sometimes they are three.
有时候他们是五, 有时候他们是三
Sometimes they are all of them at once.
有时候他们马上又是全部
Neither the past, nor the present, nor the future…
不是过去,不是现在,不是未来…
exists in its own right.
存在于它自己的权利中
Reality is in the human mind…
事实在人类的脑子里…
not in the individual mind…
不是在个别人的脑子里…
which makes mistakes and soon perishes…
否则将导致错误和走向毁灭…
but in the mind of the Party…
但是在党的思想里
which is collective and immortal.
这是集体不朽的
Again. No.
再来, 不
How many fingers, Winston?
多少手指,温斯顿?
Four.
四个
Four, l suppose there are four.
四个,我猜这是四个
l tried to see five.
我正试图去看见五个
l wish l could.
我很愿意看到五个
Which do you wish?
你希望什么?
To persuade me that you can see five, or really to see them?
说服我你看见了五个,或者真的看见了他们?
Really to see them.
真的看见了他们
Again.
再来
How many, Winston?
多少,温斯顿?
l don’t know.
我不知道
Better.
好多了
No one escapes, Winston. There are no martyrs here.
没有人逃跑,温斯顿, 这里没有烈士
All the confessions made here are true.
所有的招供使这里成为真实
We do not destroy the heretic because he resists us.
我们不会因为异端反抗我们而消灭他们
As long as he resists us, we never destroy him.
只要他反抗我们,我们就绝不消灭他
We make him one of ourselves before we kill him.
我们会在杀他之前,把他变成我们中的一员
We make his brain perfect before we blow it out.
我们要在粉碎那个脑壳之前把那脑袋改造完美
And then…
于是…
when there is nothing left but sorrow and love of Big Brother…
除了后悔自己的错误和对老大哥的爱 戴以外,他们什么也没有剩下了…
we shall lift you clean out of history.
这时候,我们才让你来清除历史
We shall turn you into gas and pour you into the stratosphere.
我们要把你挤空,然后再 把我们自己填充你
Nothing will remain of you.
你什么也不会留下
Not a name in a register.
记录上也不会有名字
Not a memory in a living brain.
活着的大脑里也不会有印象
You will be annihilated in the past, as well as in the future.
你会被从过去消灭,也在未来被消灭
Three thousand.
三千
This time it won’t hurt you.
这次不会对你有伤害的
Before we bring this session to an end…
在我们结束这次谈话之前…
l want you to ask me your questions.
我想你可以向我提几个问题
l want you to clear your mind.
我想让你清除你的思想
Julia.
朱莉亚
She betrayed you, Winston…
她背叛了你,温斯顿
immediately, unreservedly.
很快地,毫无保留地
All her rebellion, deceit, folly, dirty-mindedness…
她的所有反叛精神、欺骗手法、 愚蠢行为、肮脏思想…
has been turned out of her.
都已消失得一干二净
Does Big Brother exist?
老大哥存在吗?
Of course.
当然存在
The same way as me?
他也像我那样存在吗?
You do not exist.
你不存在
You’ve not asked me the question that is uppermost in your mind.
你没有问你头脑里最深处的问题
You know what is in Room 101 .
你知道101号♥房♥里有什么
Everyone knows what’s in Room 101 .
每个人都知道101号♥房♥里有什么
Now…
现在…
fix your eyes on mine.
注视我的眼睛
What country is Oceania at war with?
大洋国同哪个国家在打仗?
I don’t remember.
我记不得了
Oceania is at war with Eastasia.
大洋国在同东亚国打仗
Do you remember that now?
你现在记得吗?
Yes.
是的
How many fingers am I holding up?
我举起的手指有几个?
Five.
五个
You see, at least, that it is possible.
你看,至少,那是可能的
You’ve understood the reality of the past…
你已经明白了过去的真实…
and of the present.
和现在的真实
Now for the future.
现在为了未来
A question:
一个问题:
”How does one man assert power over another?”
“一个人是怎样对另外一个人发挥权力的?”
By making him suffer.
通过使另外一个人受苦
Exactly. Obedience is not enough.
说得不错,服从是不够的
Power is inflicting pain and humiliation. Otherwise, you cannot be sure.
权力就在于给人带来痛苦和耻辱, 否则,你就无法确定
Power is tearing human minds apart…
权力就在于把人类思想撕得粉碎
and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.
然后按你自己所选择的样子把它再粘合起来
Power is not a means, it is an end.
权力不是手段,而是目的
ln our world, there will only be triumph and self-abasement.
在我们的世界,只有胜利和自卑
Everything else, we shall destroy.
任何例外的东西,我们都要摧毁
The past is forbidden. Why?
过去是被禁止的,为什么?
Because when we can cut man from his own past…
因为当我们能够剪断一个人 同他自己过去的联♥系♥时…
then we can cut him from his family, his children, other men.
那么我们就可以剪断他同 家庭、孩子、其他人的联♥系♥…
There is no loyalty, except loyalty to the Party.
除了对党的忠诚之外,没有其他的忠诚
There is no love, except love of Big Brother.
除了对老大哥的爱之外,没有其他的爱
All competing pleasures, we will destroy.
所有竞争的快乐,我们都要摧毁
lf you want a vision of the future, imagine…
如果你要设想一幅未来的图景…
a boot stamping on a human face forever.
就想像一只脚踩在一张人脸 上好了,永远如此

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!