根据克兰莫太太报告的票房♥…
based on the receiptsMrs. Crummles has shown me…
利物浦人不懂得欣赏…
Liverpool has little relish…
表现优异的高格调剧场娱乐
for high-minded theatrical entertainmentsproperly conducted.
我们应该为他们寄与同情
We must give them our pity.
现在我们将改换他们愿意掏钱看的剧码
Now, we must give them somethingthey will pay to see.
《罗密欧与茱丽叶》
Romeo and Juliet.
但我们没有罗密欧里德维尔先生的脚受伤了
But we have no Romeo.Mr. Leadville’s leg is broke.
我不要紧!我还能走!
I don’t mind! I can manage!
老朋友…
Old friend…
或许你该从罗密欧更上一层楼了
it may be timefor you to move on from Romeo.
更上一层楼?
Move on?
上哪去?
To what?
李尔王?
Lear?
尼科比先生将担任那个角色
Mr. Nickleby will take that part.
你们不觉得他朋友很适合饰演药贩吗?
And do you not think his friendwould make a smashing apothecary?
他的脸弃满着戏剧细胞!
His face practically erupts with drama!
真是伟大的发现!
What an acquisition!
这种独白!你听听看
These speeches! Listen to this.
噢,希望我是你手上的手套…
“Oh, that I were a glove upon that hand…
“我就可以触摸到你的脸颊”
“that I might touch that cheek.”
你担心背不起那么多台词吗?
Are you worriedabout how to memorize so much?
我很担心虽然我几乎一句台词都没有!
I am, and I have barely a word to say!
不只是这样…
It is not only that…
还有一股欲望想遇到一位能够说这种话的对象
but a desire to know someoneto whom I could say such things.
我父亲跟我说我这辈子最重要的历程就是寻找这种对象
My father told me that the great journeyof my life would be to find such a person…
但我就快20岁了,恐怕他错了
but I’m nearly 20 years of age,and I fear he may be wrong.
-希望不是如此-我也希望不是
– I hope not.- I hope not, too.
为什么你看到那个野人从活板门出来时那么激动?
May I ask you why you were so upset seeingthat savage come through the trapdoor?
昨天你问我记不记得到约克夏之前的生活
You asked me yesterday if I had a memoryabout my life before Yorkshire.
我只记得一件事
There is but one thing I remember.
就是关我的那个房♥间
It was the room in which I was kept.
那是个在房♥子顶楼的孤独房♥间
It was a lonesome roomat the top of a house.
天花板上垂下一个黑色大钩子
There was a large black hookthat hung down from the ceiling.
底下有一个活板门
Underneath it was a trapdoor.
我很害怕门后面的东西
I was so afraid of what might beon the other side…
每天晚上我都用床单蒙住我的头
that there was not a single nightI did not cover my head in the bedclothes.
所以今天一道很相像的门在我面前突然打开时
So today, when a door so very like itopened in the dark before me…
我不敢看冒出来的东西
I could not watch what came out of it.
继续
Carry on.
我们老是遇到怪事
We have fallen on strange times.
没错
Yes…
极为奇妙的怪遭遇
but wondrous strange.
-还有什么事?-有
– What’s come then?- I have.
-什么事?-一封信,写道…
– What else?- A letter, marked:
“紧急,同时极为重要”
“Urgent, as well as extremely important.”
史奎尔家寄来的
It’s from the Squeers.
瓦福?
Wackford?
可能不是,喷过香水
Doubtful. It’s perfumed.
亲爱的豆腐脑先生
“Dear Mr. Knuckleboy, sir.
我应家父要求致函予你
“My pa requests me to write to you.
连医师都不敢确定…
“The doctor’s considering it doubtful…
他的腿伤是否会复原
“whether he will ever recoverthe use of his legs…
所以他无法执笔
“which prevents his holding a pen.
这一切都是令侄儿造成的
“He was brought to this stateby your nephew…
他以脚重踹我父亲的身体
“who jumped upon my pa’s bodywith his feet…
“将他撞倒在地”
“and dashed him to the earth.”
“将他撞倒在地”写得好,亲爱的!
“Dashed him to the earth.”Very nice, my dear!
他并且口出恶言
“He also attacked him with language…
其龌龊程度只怕会污染我的笔
“which I will not pollute my penwith describing.
他也攻击我母亲
“He assaulted my ma…
用她的发簪刺入她头部数寸深
“by driving her back-comb several inchesinto her head.
诊断书上面说万一发簪刺入头骨…
“We have a medical certificate that says,if the comb had entered her skull…
玳瑁可能会影响她的脑部
“the tortoiseshellmight have affected her brain.
然后那头怪兽就逃之夭夭
“The monster then ran away…
并且带走一位行为不良的少】年
“taking with him a boyof desperate character…
同时还偷走了我半死母亲的红宝石戒指
“as well as a garnet ringbelonging to my nearly dead ma.
请寄钱来赔偿这项损失
“Would you please send us moneycompensating for its loss…
“金额是22…”
“in the amount of 22…”
-4-8
– 4.- 8.
28英镑又10便士
“£28.10.
“你诚挚的等等等,芬妮史奎尔”
“Remain yours, etc., Fanny Squeers.”
那家伙果然不成材
The boy has crossed me.
-我一点都不意外-他也有来信
– I did not expect otherwise.- He’s written as well.
高傲又顽固
Pride, obstinacy.
尼科比家的脸都被他丢光了
A reputation for fine feelingsare all against it.
他到利物浦去了
He’s gone to Liverpool.
找到了工作
Taken some employment.
其他都是一些藉口
Otherwise it’s all excuses.
我猜他很快就会上船
I predict he soon will be on some ship.
永远
Gone.
消失
Forever.
孩子…
Child…
原谅我这么久以来疏忽了你们母女
forgive me. I have been remissin my attentions to you and your mother.
我想问你和你母亲星期五晚上是否愿意…
I came to enquire whether you and shewould accompany me to the theater…
陪我去看戏?
on Friday evening?
真是太感激了,伯父
That is most kind of you, Uncle.
很好
Very well.
我会来接你们
I shall call for you.
她答应了
She has accepted.
我对莎士比亚非常着迷
I have a genuine interest in Shakespeare…
尤其是参观过他出生的那个小房♥子之后
especially after having beento that dear little dull house he was born in.
说得有理,让我来
How fascinating. May I?
尼科比?是你吗?
Nickleby? Is that you?
尼科比,你一个人来吗?
Nickleby, are you all alone?
运气真好!
What luck!
好戏开演了
The drama begins.
她在天堂的双眼…
Her eyes in heaven…
透过大气洒下万丈光芒…
would through the airy regionstream so bright…
使得鸟儿以为夜已结束引吭高歌♥
that birds would sing,and think it were not night.
你瞧她的脸颊倚在手上
See how she leans her cheekupon her hand.
希望我是她手上的手套
Oh, that I were a glove upon that hand…
我就可以触摸她的脸颊!
that I might touch that cheek!
唉,我!
Ay, me!
我多么期盼是你的手套…
I should like to be your glove…
可以触摸你的脸颊…
as much to touch your cheek…
并且紧握你的手
as to grip your fingers.
好!
Bravo!
-不要急-请不要纠缠我
– Don’t hurry.- Please do not detain me.
为什么你老是装得如此不高兴?
Now, why do you keep upthis show of displeasure?
装?我的感觉再真实不过
Show? Nothing could be more sincerely felt.
你生气的时候果然更美
Indeed, you’re prettierwhen you are in a passion.
希望我哥哥在这里他的怒气会叫你难以康复
I wish my brother were here. He’d be in apassion from which you’d not soon recover.
趁他们关灯时多陪我一下
Linger with me just a momentas they extinguish the lights.

I will not.
-我的任何要求你都拒绝?-你所有的要求都不正派
– Will you deny me everything I want?- Lf everything you want is wrong.
让我去找我妈妈,她会担心我
Please, let me rejoin my family.My mother will be anxious.
你妈妈已经在担心你找不到合适的对象
Your mother, child, is already anxiousthat you should find a proper prospect.
我猜她会高兴我们能够独处
I would hazard that she is delightedwe are by ourselves…
我们消失得越久她反而越不担心
and I imagine the longer we are gone,the less anxious she will be.
不要愚弄我你根本不把我当成一个对象
Do not mock me.You do not consider me a prospect…
只是戏弄我也不会当你是个对象
but a plaything, and I consider you neither.
在公共场合这样对待我会破坏我的名声
To treat me this way in a public placecould ruin my reputation.
往后再也不可能有美好的婚姻
And every chance for a decentand loving marriage will be gone.
如果在乎隐私,没有问题但我再也按耐不住了
If it’s privacy you want, let me give it to you.But I’ll have what I want and wait no more.
我对莎士比亚非常着迷
I have a genuine interest in Shakespeare.
妈,可以走了吗?
Mother, may we go?
真高兴见到你
It was delightful to see you.
-妈妈,拜托-怎么啦?
– Mother, please.- Is something wrong?
伯父…
Uncle…
我受到无法弥补的伤害
I have been wounded past all healing…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!