葛雷莫西在哪?
Where’s Graymarsh?
他在清洁后厅窗户
Please, sir, he’s cleaningthe back parlor window.
很好,C-L-E-A-N“清洁”
Perfect. C-L-E-A-N, “clean.”
动词、主动语态,“使之光亮”
Verb, active, “to make bright.”
“窗父”,窗子的一种
“Winder,” a casement.
“窗父”:W-I-N-D-E-R
“Win”: W-l-N, “der”: D-E-R.
孩子们学会后,就应该照着做
When the boy knows this,he goes and does it.
东恩呢?
Where’s Dorn?
-先生,在花♥园♥除草-正确
– Please, sir, he’s weeding the garden.- To be sure.
“直物学”:B-O-T-T-I-N-NN-E-Y
“Bot”: B-O-T, “tin”: T-l-N, “ney”: N-E-Y.
“直物学”,名词、实体名词
“Bottiney.” Noun, substantive.
他正在应用的植物知识
Knowledge of plants,which he’s applying right now.
这就是我们的教法你觉得怎么样?
That’s our system, Nickleby.What do you think of it?
很有用
It’s useful.
这一天继续下去
“And so went the day.
“我非常希望能帮得上忙”
“I very much hope I can be of service here. ”
你冷吗?
Are you cold?
你在发抖,可怜人
You’re shivering, poor fellow.
披着
There.
噢,我的心
Oh, dear, my heart.
我也觉得很迷惘
I feel lost here, too.
但我们不能放弃希望
But we must always hope.
希望?
Hope?
你记得死在这里的那个男孩吗?
Do you remember the boy who died here?
我不在这里
I was not here.
他怎么了?
What of him?
那天晚上我陪着他
I was with him that night.
他开始在床边看见家人的面孔
He began to see faces around his bedthat came from home.
他说他们跟他说话,对他笑
He said they smiled and talked to him.
最后,他死了…
At last, he died…
抬着头亲吻他们
lifting his head to kiss them.
然后?
Yes?
我死的时候会有谁的面孔对我笑?
What faces will smile on me when I die?
长夜里谁来安慰我?
Who will comfort me that long night?
家人无法来看我
They cannot come from home.
即使来也会吓到我因为我不认识他们
They would frighten me if they did,for I shouldn’t know them.
没有任何希望
There is no hope.
-我绝望了!-怎么回事,心爱的?
– No hope for me at all!- What’s the matter, love?
蒂达快要跟约翰布罗迪结婚了
Tilda’s getting married to John Browdie.
我快成为全郡唯一还没张贴结婚公告的女孩了
I’ll be the only girl in the countywho hasn’t posted my banns.
约翰布罗迪不是好对象我讨厌他
John Browdie’s no catch. I hate him.
好好吃早餐
Eat your breakfast.
我再也不吃了
I’ll never eat again.
你喜欢豆腐脑先生吗?
How do you like Mr. Knuckleboy?
喜欢他?我讨厌他
I hate him, that’s how I like him.
他是只下流、自以为是的猴子
He’s a nasty, stuck-up monkey.
你得杀杀他的傲气
He needs his pride brought down.
这件事交给你去做全英国没有一个女人…
I’ll leave that to you, my love.There’s not a woman in all England…
比你更擅长杀他人的傲气
can bring a person’s pride downquicker than you can.
谢谢你,史奎尔
Thank you, Squeery.
谁是豆腐脑先生?
Who’s Mr. Knuckleboy?
新来的老师
The new teacher.
璀璨的笑容,笔直的双腿
A smile like a sugar-drop,and the straightest legs I’ve ever seen.
法文的“窗户”…
The word for “window”…
-称为“fenetre”,F-E-N-E…-噢,爸爸
– Is “fenêtre”, F-E-N-E…- Oh, father.
对不起,我以为我爸爸在这里
I beg your pardon.I thought my father was here.
-我真笨-一点儿都不会
– I’m so foolish, I’m sure.- Not at all.
再说一次,法文的“窗户”叫做“fenetre”
Again, the word for “window” is “fenêtre.”
我真是笨极了
I’m sure I am foolish.
只是我的笔需要…
It’s just my pen is in need of…
修理
mending.
我可以帮你吗?
May I be of service?
不,不能麻烦你
No, I just couldn’t.
好吧
All right.
蒂达!
Tilda!
-怎么啦,芬妮?-我订婚了!
– What is it, Fanny?- I am engaged!
跟谁?
To whom?
-跟那个新老师-还真快!
– To the new schoolteacher.- The speed of it!
他说什么?
What’s he said?
我们不需要说话如果你看到他的表情就明白
We don’t need language.If you could have only seen his looks.
他像这样看你吗?
Did he look at you like this?
如果是,你就是订婚了约翰就是这样看着我的
If he did, you’re engaged.That’s how John looked at me.
应该比这个好看吧不然你早逃到山里躲起来了
Hope it was better than that.Thee’d have run to the hills.
闭嘴,约翰!日期订在哪一天?
Hush, John! So, when is the day?
我们还需要正式提亲
We just need a final declaration to settle it…
但该出面讲话时他就害羞
but he’s shy in the way of words.
芬妮,我真替你高兴
Fanny, I’m so happy for you.
你有没有读过《天路历程》?
Have you read The Pilgrim’s Progress?
《天路历程》,约翰班扬着
“The Pilgrim’s Progress, by John Bunyan.
“当我穿越这荒凉的世界时我遭遇了某种”…
“As I walked through the wildernessof this world, I lighted on a certain”…
你以为你在干什么?
What do you think you’re doing?
继续工作!
Get on with your work!
不要装出一副自命清高的样子
Don’t give me that high-and-mighty look.
他没付钱
He don’t pay.
所以他得工作
Therefore, he works.
小姐们
Ladies.
赶快,想办法引他注意
Quick, I must do somethingto engage his sympathy…
诱使他表态,我该假装噎着吗?
and bring him to the declaration.Should I choke?
昏倒应该比噎着浪漫一点
I think fainting might be more romanticthan choking.
尼科比先生,救命!
Mr. Nickleby, help!
-怎么回事?-因为你的冷漠伤心过度
– What’s happened?- I think she was undone by your coldness.
我很鲁莽吗?我在想其他事情
Was I abrupt?My mind, I’m afraid, was on other matters.
我相信你不是故意的
I’m sure it wasn’t deliberate.
因为最近你们之间那种几乎说出口的感觉…
It’s just that with all the feelingsso nearly expressed between you of late…
如果引起任何困扰我该严历的自我责备,但是…
If I caused any distress,I reproach myself most bitterly, but…
这实在是很愚蠢,但是…
This is most awkward, but…
-你朋友以为我爱上她?-她以为?当然啦
– Does your friend think I’m in love with her?- Does she think so? Of course.
但我可没这么说
But I’ve made no such declaration.
你的眼睛帮你的嘴巴说出来了
Your eyes said what your mouth could not.
或许我的嘴巴该说出我的眼睛没说出的话
Perhaps my mouth should saywhat my eyes have not.
我跟这位小姐几乎见不到三次面
I have scarcely seen the young ladythree times…
但即使跟她见过30或3万次面结果还是一样的
but should I have seen her 30 or 30,000,it would be the same.
我不曾有一丝与她相关的念头
I have not one thought,hope or wish connected with her…
不过她的确是我内心一个画面的一部份…
unless it be part of the pictureI keep in my mind…
有一天我能够离开这个被诅咒的地方
of one day being able to turn my backupon this accursed place…
每次回想起来只有强烈的反感与恶心
and never to think of it againwith any feeling but loathing and disgust.
被一个看广♥告♥应征来的…
Refused by a teacher…
老师拒绝
picked up by an advertisement.
他污辱的不只是你是史奎尔全家
He’s insulted not just you,but the whole house of Squeers.
他很高傲,一开始我就跟你说了
He’s proud. I said so from the start.
应该教训教训他
He must be wounded.
我恨他有如毒药!
I hate him like poison!
史麦克呢?没柴火了
Where is Smike? We need wood.
跟尼科比先生在一起把他伺候的无微不至
He’s with Mr. Nickleby.He waits on him hand and foot.
他一定是太清闲了
He must not have enough to do.
我们该替史麦克多找点活儿干
We must think of how betterto occupy our Smike.
他们对我很严苛
They are so hard on me.
如果不是你…
But for you…
他们可能会杀了我
they would kill me.
我怕我反而害你被他们杀了
I fear they may be killing you because of me.
我离开后,你的日子会比较好过
You will do better when I am gone.
离开?
Gone?
你要离开?
Are you going?
可以的话,我巴不得明天就走
I would go tomorrow if I could.
跟我说…
Tell me…
外面的世界跟这里一样糟吗?
is the world as bad as this place?
噢,不会
Oh, no.
我会跟你在外面的世界见面吗?
Should I ever meet you there?
-会啊,我相信有一天…-不
– Why, yes, I’m sure at some…- No.
告诉我
Tell me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!