Schoolmaster, I couldn’t trouble theeto take the head of the table, could I?
我想要敬你一杯…
I’d like to propose a toast to thee…
还有你的家人敬你,史奎尔先生和可爱的芬妮
and thy family.To thee, Mr. Squeers and the lovely Fanny.
史奎尔先生…
Mr. Squeers…
我该恭喜你
I’d like to congratulate thee.
我们来唱首歌♥吧,来,蒂达
I think it’s about time for a song.Come on, Tilda.
不要动,别担心
Be still. Do not worry.
谢谢
Thank you.
你是我最好、最勇敢的朋友
You are the best and bravest friend.
安静,往前靠,我帮你松绑
Hush. Lean forward. I shall untie you.
我太太很会唱歌♥
Grand singer, my wife.
小瓦福,你没关窗户
Little Wackford,you left our bedroom window open.
-关了-不要跟我争,小猪,去关起来
– I did not.- Don’t argue with me, piglet, go and shut it.
我以为我又得回去了
I thought I would have to go back.
绝不
Never.
但我们还没自♥由♥待会一定要迅速、安静
But we are not free yet.Speed and silence are of the essence.
-你说的是同一个铁匠吗?-对,就是他
– Thee talking about the same blacksmith?- Aye, that’s him.
那天碰到他,我还帮你讲话呢
Saw him the other day. I stuck up for thee.
他说你不配跟猪一起住我说你够资格
He said thee weren’t fit to live with pigs.I said thee were.
很感谢你,约翰布劳迪你是个可敬的人
Thank you kindly, John Browdie,you’re an honorable man.
这门不错
Fine door, that.
快,史奎尔出来了
Quick. Squeers is outside.
-今天真棒,约翰布劳迪-没错
– It’s been a grand day, John Browdie.- That it has.
他被偷走?
He was stolen?
在你的监控之下?
Right from under you?
说老实话不知道能不能减轻…
To be literal about it,and I’m not sure this will dissipate…
你对此事的怒气
your very strong emotions on the subject…
他的确是从我头上被偷走了
but he was actually stolenright from over me.
我侄子不晓得他树立了什么敌人
My nephew does not know the enemyhe has made in me.
毁灭他是首要之务其次才是我的事业!
I shall put his ruinahead of my own business!
-你已经做到了-什么?
– Certainly done that already.- What?
银行来函说你帐户存款不足
The bank sent a lettersaying you were short in your accounts.
墨柏里爵士也来信
Sir Mulberry also wrote.
-他拒绝了你的投资邀请-废话连篇!
– He declined your invitation to invest.- Rubbish!
那家伙不可能打不败
The boy is not invincible.
想当好人的人通常都很脆弱!
People who wish to be thought of as goodare always weak!
我会注意每个小道消息
I will listen to every rumorand every rumble…
直到能打倒他
until I can strike him.
然后我会将他击倒
And then I will strike him…
直到他体无完肤为止
until he can be struck no more.
亲爱的,你必须…
Now, my dear, you must…
我恳求你,请你赶紧起来
I do entreat and beseech of you…You must get up.
椅子拿过来,让她坐
Please, a chair, place her here.
什么都不要讲,奈德兄弟
Not a word for your life, brother Ned.
亲爱的先生,请你离开
Now, my dear sir, you must leave.
我真的帮不上忙吗?
Is there no way I could be of service?
他们一概说不
…to which they said no.
三个星期过去了,她不曾再来
It has now been three weeks.She’s never come back.
没人肯对我透露任何有关她的事
And no one will tell me anything about her.
不肯回答我的问题也不让我问别人
They never answer any questions on it,and discourage the posing of others.
我觉得很苦恼
This distresses me.
尼可拉斯你有没有找到中意的对象?
Nicholas, have you foundyour matching half?
我们得想办法帮你物色了
Then we must think of how to find her.
一旦她认识你,她一定会爱上你
For when she knows you,she will love you, too.
这位是我侄儿法兰克她是尼科比先生的妹妹凯特
This is our nephew, Frank.This is Mr. Nickleby’s sister, Kate.
我叔叔说你精通园艺可以带你参观参观吗?
My uncle says you’re quite a gardener.May I show you around?

Please.
尼科比太太,可以让尼可拉斯失陪一会儿吗?
Mrs. Nickleby, would you excuse Nicholas?
我们有件小事要处理一下
We have a small matter of businessto attend to.

Of course.
我一向对你哥哥说的话深信不疑
I never thought I’d find faultwith your brother’s statements…
他说你非常漂亮
but he has described youas exceedingly pretty.
我可以对他稍嫌不足的形容做个修正吗?
May I offer the correctionthat such a remark seems inadequate?
他经常谈起你…
He has told me much of you…
说你非常有耐心的教导他
and of how patientyou have been in teaching him.
你记得那位在我们办公室昏倒的年轻小姐吗?
Do you remember the young ladywho fainted in our office?
昏倒?
Fainted?
记得
Yes.
她的母亲年轻时…
She is the daughter of a lady whom,when she herself was young…
是我深爱的对象
I loved very dearly.
听一个老头谈这种事情或许你会笑
You will smile, perhaps,to hear an old man talk about such things.
我当然不会笑你
I have no such inclination.
其实我很想知道她是否也爱你
In fact, I’m eager to knowif she returned your affection.
她嫁给了别人
She made another choice.
一个名叫柏瑞的人
A man named Bray.
他只知纵情享乐完全不负任何责任
Inconsiderate of all obligations,except to those of his own leisure…
任意挥霍自己的,以及她的金钱
he squandered his fortune, and then hers.
度过20年不幸福的日子之后她终于来向我求助
Finally, after 20 years of bitter unhappiness,she came to me…
不幸,她已来日无多
sadly changed. She was dying.
她要求我们帮助她女儿梅德琳…
And she asked usto help her daughter, Madeline…
在她需要帮助时伸出援手
should she ever seek our assistance.
这两年来梅德琳尽力…
But Madeline has soughtthese past two years…
自食其力
to earn her money on her own.
然而,她得经常性的服侍她父亲…
However, the demands for serviceher father places upon her…
根本无暇改善经济更不可能受雇于人
make steady, not to mention lucrative,employment an impossibility.
她昏倒被你抱住那天她来找我们…
She came to us,that day you caught her from fainting…
请求协助但要求不要让她父亲知道
and made the appeal,asking only that her father never know.
于是我们想出了这个…
So we came up with this scheme…
我们自觉相当高明的办法
of which we are not unreasonably proud.
-的确是个好办法-计划非常好,真的
– It is a very good scheme.- It’s very good, indeed.
梅德琳是个画家
Madeline is an artist…
我们想请一个人代为出面…
and we thoughtthat someone could make a feint…
出高价请她作画
of commissioning her paintingsfor a high price.
这样她一方面可以留在家里照顾他…
This allows her to stay at home,where he needs her…
我们的身分也不会泄漏出来他认识我们
And allows our involvement to be disguised.He knows us.
我们想请你替我们做这件事
We were hoping you would be the agent.
梅德琳,他是谁?
Madeline, who is this?
谁说我们可以让陌生人前来?
Who told a stranger we could be seen?
我是来买♥♥画的,先生
I’m here to purchase some paintings, sir.
-我要这三幅-好的
– These three, please.- Very well.
我要报纸、葡萄再给我一瓶酒!
I want a newspaper, and grapes,and another bottle of wine!
好的,爸爸,我先送客人出门
Yes, Father, very well,I’ll just finish with this gentleman.
我现在就要!
I want it now!
拜托,爸爸
Please, Father.
他来买♥♥画我们才有钱买♥♥你要的东西
This purchase will help uspay for the things you want.
你妈妈活着的时候从来不会发生这种事
This never happenedwhen your mother was alive.
先生
Sir.
这里发生的事请不要告诉家母的好友
Pray, do not mention to my mother’sdear friends what has passed here.
我父亲受了很多苦今天早上的情况特别不好
Father has suffered so much,and is worse than usual this morning.
只要你肯让我知道你的需要我愿意不顾一切为你尽力
You have but to hint at a wish,and I would hazard my life to gratify it.
你曾不曾第一眼看到一个人就很快的…
Have you ever had the sensationof looking at someone for the first time…
感觉到过去跟未来已经融合在一起?
and ever so quickly,the past and future seem to fuse?
-我第一次见到你…-是在你伯父那儿
– The first time I saw you…- At your uncle’s.
然后,是那天在街上的墙边
And then, that day on the street by the wall.
-你还记得-我很替你担心
– You remember.- I felt such concern for you.
我也担心你
And I for you.
这难道没有特殊意义吗?
Does that not mean something?
我们还没开口就有那么多、那么深刻的感觉
That we felt so much, so deeply,before speaking?
我现在知道了你的背景
And now that I know your history…
请你相信我我会尽全力来帮助你
I entreat you to believe,I would do anything to help you.
你认识梅德琳布瑞吗?
Do you know Madeline Bray?
奈杰布瑞的女儿?
Nigel Bray’s daughter?
认识,她可能是全伦敦最漂亮的女孩
Indeed I do. She may bethe prettiest girl in all of London.
布瑞还欠我钱
Bray owes me money.
如果我一笔勾消他的债务…
What if I were to erase that debt…
交换他将女儿嫁给你怎么样?
in exchange for his giving youhis daughter’s hand?
这能不能提高你投资我的意愿?
Would that put you in a better frame of mindto consider my investment?
我该说我的投资非你莫属了
I should say it would secure it.
哇…
My…
画布都羞红了脸,她画得真好
the canvas must blush, she flatters it so.
真是耀眼啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!