你们会成年
You will become adults,
但之后会很短暂
but only briefly.
在衰老之前
Before you are old,
甚至在步入中年之前
before you are even middle-aged,
你们就会开始捐献主要器官
you will start to donate your vital organs.
你们就是因此被造出来的
That’s what you were created to do.
大约在第三次或第四次捐献后
And sometime around your third or fourth donation,
你们短暂的生命就终结了
your short life will be complete.
你们要了解自己的真♥相♥
You have to know who you are and what you are.
只有这样你才能正确地活下去
It’s the only way you’ll lead decent lives.
今早只有一项公告
There will be only one announcement this morning,
四年级的学监
which is that Miss Lucy,
露茜小姐
who was guardian to the fourth-year students,
不再继续为黑尔舍姆工作
is no longer working at Hailsham.
我们会找新人来补她的空缺
A replacement will be found for her,
在此期间
and in the meantime
她的班级由我和杰拉丁小姐负责
her classes will be divided between Miss Geraldine and myself.
这很艰难 不是吗
It is hard, is it not,
面对蓄意颠覆而毅然坚持下去
to continue in the face of deliberate subversion.
很显然 有人试图阻挠我们
There are those who seek to thwart us, this is clear.
众所周知
And we are aware that
大多数人的思想与高♥瞻♥远瞩相悖
the tide is not with forward thinking.
从未一致过
It never is.
从未 他们固步自封 抱残守缺
No, the tide is with the entrenched mindset,
坚守着未经证实的价值观
with values that are still unexamined.
但我不会妥协
But I will not be coerced.
我不会妥协
I will not be coerced.
黑尔舍姆也不会
And neither will Hailsham.
我不明白为何露丝曾多番取笑汤米
I didn’t understand why, after all her teasing,
最后却认定他就是自己最喜欢的男孩
Ruth would decide that Tommy was the boy she liked most of all.
有人说女孩总是对喜欢的男孩百般刁难
They say girls are always mean to the boys they like.
所以露丝也许一直以来都喜欢他
So maybe Ruth had liked him all along.
也许我也该取笑他的
Maybe I should have teased him, too.
我一直希望他们能分手
I kept hoping they would separate,
就像学校里其他青梅竹马的情侣一样
like the other childhood and teenage romances at the school.
他们从未分手
They never did.
1985年 农舍小屋
十八岁时 我们离开了黑尔舍姆
We were moved from Hailsham at 18
被送往全国各地的住宿中心
and sent to various accommodations around the country,
慢慢成直长到可以开始捐献器官
to wait until we were old enough to start the donations.
汤米 露丝和我
Tommy, Ruth and I
被送到一个叫做农舍小屋的农家庄园
were sent to a collection of farm buildings called The Cottages.
在那里 我们被告知
During our stay there, we were told
我们中的一些人可以志愿成为看护
that some of us would be permitted to volunteer as carers.
此外 我们基本上被允许自♥由♥活动
But, apart from that, we’d be left largely to our own devices
甚至是赴周围的村野
and even allowed to take day trips
进行一日游
into the surrounding countryside.
在农舍小屋 我们第一次接触到
The Cottages were also our first contact
在黑尔舍姆以外的地方长大的人
with those who had not grown up at Hailsham.
他们来自白色宅邸
There were people from White Mansion,
奥克希尔和晨谷
Oakhill, Morningdale
以及其他我没听过的地方
and other homes I’d never heard of.
每个人看起来都比我们更聪明更世故
Everyone seemed wiser and more worldly than us.
尤其是罗德尼和克里希
None more so than Rodney and Chrissie.
他们已经在农舍小屋住了一年多
They’d already been at The Cottages for over a year
而且很快会去终结中心
and would soon be leaving for the completion centers.
里基吗 我不懂你在说什么
Ricky? I don’t know what you’re talking about.
让我来告诉你
Oh, I can help you out there.
他说的是那个蓝瞳
He’s talking about blue eyes,
金发 笑起来有酒窝的人
blond hair, cute dimples when he smiles.
他有可以徒手掰开核桃的强健肌肉
And biceps that could crack walnuts.
珍妮弗 现实点
Jennifer, get real,
我看见你和他一起了
I saw you with him.
珍和里基坐在树上 接吻呢
Jen and Ricky sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
简直一派胡言
That is so not true.
我们不是在树上
We weren’t in a tree.
你要去哪儿
Where’re you heading?
我想出去走走
I thought I’d go for a walk.
这不意味着你想独自走走吧
Does that mean you want to be alone?
我没说过我想申请做看护
I’m not even saying that I’ll apply to be a carer.
只是有人说我会很适合做
Just that several people have said that I’d be good at it.
但劳拉却四处跟人说
But then Laura went around telling everyone
我说过我最有可能被选中做看护
that I’d been saying I was the most likely to get selected.
简直一派胡言
That’s so not true.
一派胡言
So not true.
谢谢
Thank you.
我再多拿些盘子
I’m getting more plates.
还有剩吗
Is there anything left for us?
不知道
I don’t know.
也许没了
Perhaps not.
露丝 你为什么那么做
Ruth, why do you do that thing?
揉汤米的肩膀
Squeezing Tommy’s shoulder.
我可以和汤米有肢体接触吧
I’m allowed to touch Tommy, aren’t I?
是你接触他的那种方式
It’s the way you’re touching him.
你懂我的意思
You know what I mean.
那是从那个电视节目学来的
It’s copied from that television show.
那简直一派胡…
That’s so not…
别告诉我”那简直一派胡言”
Don’t tell me “That’s so not true.”
所有那些举动
All that behavior,
现实生活中人们不那么做
that’s not what people do out there, in real life,
如果这是你那时所想的话
if that’s what you were thinking.
那又如何 没什么大不了
So what? Look, it’s no big deal.
我们很多人那么做
A lot of us do it.
你是说克里希和罗德那么做吧
What you mean is Chrissie and Rod do it.
凯茜
Oh, Kathy.
原来是这么回事啊
So that’s what this is about.
你周围都是情侣 你肯定感觉糟透了
It must be really awful for you, surrounded by all these couples.
我从未那么说 我只是觉得这很愚蠢
I never said that. I just think it’s daft.
你学他们 他们学电视节目
You copy them, and they copy from a television show.
我说对了 是吧
I’m right, aren’t I?
你不乐意接受这个事实
You don’t like the fact that
汤米和我是克里希和罗德的朋友
Tommy and I are friends with Chrissie and Rod,
而你却很少和别人讲话
whereas you hardly speak to anyone.
不 你错了
No. You’re not right.
“一派胡言”吗[调侃那个新说法]
“So” Not right?
谢谢你 凯弗斯先生
Thank you, Mr. Keffers.
你好 汤米
Hello, Tommy.
你好 凯茜
Hello, Kath.
别光站在门口 进来一起看吧
Well, don’t just hover in the doorway. Come in. Join the fun.
不知道你竟喜欢看那些东西
Didn’t know you liked that sort of stuff.
我看完就给你看
You’re very welcome to them after I’ve finished.
不了 就是些关于性的东西
Oh, no, it’s just sex stuff.
而且我应该全看过了
I expect I’ve seen them all already anyway.
凯茜 你在找什么
Kathy, what are you looking for?
什么意思 我就是看看色情图片
What do you mean? I’m just looking at dirty pictures.
就为寻求刺♥激♥吗
What, just for kicks?
我就猜你会那么说 没错
I suppose you could say that, yes.
如果只为寻乐 那你不该翻那么快
If it’s just for kicks, then you don’t do it like that.
你得把每张图都看得更仔细些
You need to look at each picture more carefully.
你翻那么快没什么用的
Nothing really happens if you go that fast.
你怎么知道什么会对女孩子奏效
How do you know what works for girls?
凯茜 你不是在寻找刺♥激♥
Kath, you’re not looking for kicks.
给 把它给露丝 看看对她有没有效
Here, give it to Ruth. See if it does anything for her.
我想你听罗德和克里希说过了
I suppose you’ve heard what Rod and Chrissie have been saying.
没有
No, I haven’t.
罗德和克里希
Well, you know that Rod and Chrissie
一直想申请做看护
have been thinking of applying to be carers,
所以他们在学开车
so they’ve been learning how to drive.

Yeah.
上周末 他们去了诺福克海岸的一座小镇
Well, last weekend, they went up to a town on the Norfolk coast,
他们看见一个人

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!