My God, is that me?
我也曾经这么年轻过吗
Was I ever that young?
不是
Ha, ha. No.
霍华德刚刚拿来一张 我们在哥伦比亚广播公♥司♥时
Howard just brought in a picture of Ed Murrow
和埃德·默罗还有同事们一起照的照片
and the whole CBS gang when we were there.
你肯定不相信
You wouldn’t believe it.
沃尔特·克朗凯特 哈里·里森纳
Walter Cronkite, Harry Reasoner,
霍伦贝克 鲍勃·特劳特
Hollenbeck, Bob Trout.
-那个是你吗 -是啊
-Is that you, Howard? -Mm-hm. Yeah.
好的 迪克 我们再联♥系♥
Okay, Dick, we’ll be in touch. Right.
记得这个小子吗
You remember this kid?
你让他去访问克利夫兰·艾默里做活体解剖
He’s the kid I think you once sent out to interview Cleveland Amory on vivisection.
什么这么好笑
What’s so funny?
我穿着睡衣”噌”地从床上跳起来
So I jump out of bed in my pajamas, I grab my raincoat,
抓起雨衣就往楼下跑
I run downstairs.
跑到街上拦了辆出租
I run out in the street and I hail a cab.
朝着司机大喊
And I jumped in and I yell at the driver:
我去乔治华盛顿桥中间
“Take me to the middle of the George Washington Bridge.”
司机说别自杀 兄弟 想开点儿
And the driver turns around and he says: “Don’t do it, buddy, don’t do it.
你还年轻 还有大把前途在前面等着你呢
You’re young, you got your whole life ahead of you.”
等一下
Ha-ha-ha! Wait a minute! Wait a minute!
如果你们觉得很好笑 听听这个
No, if you think that’s funny, wait till you hear this.
我刚才哈克特的办公室来
I’ve just come back from Frank Hackett’s office.
他想让霍华德今晚继续主持节目
He wants to put Howard on the air.
很显然昨晚开机率上涨了5个百分点
Apparently the ratings went up five points last night
他希望霍华德能回到以前的位置上
and he wants Howard to go back on
继续说他的”愤怒的人生”
and do his angry-man thing.
你说什么
What are you talking about?
他们说他们要让霍华德继续他的关于”狗屎”的呐喊
I’m telling you. They want Howard to go back on and yell “bullshit.”
他们让霍华德继续
They want Howard to go on
肆无忌惮地发泄他的愤怒
spontaneously letting out his anger.
一个现代的预言家声讨我们这个时代的虚伪
A latter-day prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our times.
听上去真不错
Hey, that sounds pretty good.
他们都有谁
Who’s this “they”?
哈克特 切尼在那儿
Hackett. Chaney was there.
管法律事务那人 还有那个女制片人
The Legal Affairs guy. Oh, and that girl from Programming.
克里斯滕森 她跟这个有什么关系
Christensen? What’s she got to do with this?
-你说着玩的吧 -不是 我没开玩笑
-You’re kidding, aren’t you? -I’m not kidding.
照我说 我们现在办的是新闻部
I told them. I said:”Look, we’re running a news department,
不是马戏团
not a circus.”
霍华德·比厄也不是一个长着络腮胡子的女人
And Howard Beale’s not a bearded lady.
如果你认为我乱传谣言的话
If you think I’m gonna go along with this bastardization
我可以像麦克斯·舒马赫一样辞职
you can have my resignation along with Max Schumacher’s right now.
我是站在霍华德这边的
I think I’m speaking for Howard Beale and everybody else…
你拒绝的是我的工作
That’s my job you’re turning down.
我没有工作会发疯的
I’d go nuts without some kind of work.
当一个愤怒的预言家
What’s wrong with being an angry prophet
声讨这个时代的虚伪有什么不对
denouncing the hypocrisies of our times?
你怎么想 麦克斯
What do you think, Max?
你想当一个愤怒的预言家声讨这个时代的虚伪吗
Do you want to be an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our times?
我想 我愿意当一个愤怒的预言家
Yeah, I think I’d like to be an angry prophet
声讨这个时代的虚伪
denouncing the hypocrisies of our times.
那就干
Then grab it. Grab it!
-下午好 卢迪先生 -下午好
-Afternoon, Mr. Ruddy. -Good afternoon.
下午好 卢迪先生
Good afternoon, Mr. Ruddy.
-他在等你 -谢谢
-He’s waiting for you, Mr. Ruddy. -Thank you.
尼尔森·切尼告诉我说 比厄今晚真的会录节目
Nelson Chaney tells me Beale may actually go on the air this evening.
就我所知 霍华德同意这么做
As far as I know, Howard’s going to do it.
-你就准备这么坐着等看 -是的
-You going to sit still for this, Ed? -Yes.
我想哈克特做的有点过头了
I think Hackett’s overstepped himself.
暗地里有人在合伙密谋些什么
There’s some kind of corporate maneuvering going on, Max.
哈克特现在很明显是跟人杠上了
Hackett is clearly forcing a confrontation.
董事会上他一定得对他的行为做出解释
That would account for his behavior at the stockholders’ meeting.
我想在比厄这件事上
However, I think he’s making a serious mistake
他是犯了个严重的错误的
with this Beale business.
我怀疑美国通讯公♥司♥会十分讨厌
I suspect CCA will be upset
哈克特的自以为是
at Hackett’s presumptuousness.
杰森先生是肯定会的
Certainly Mr. Jensen will.
所以我准备让哈克特先得意一阵
So I’m going to let Hackett have his head for a while.
他一定会在比厄这事儿上输得很惨
He just might lose it over this Beale business.
我希望你能重新考虑你的辞职
I’d like you to reconsider your resignation, Max.
我想如果没有美国通讯公♥司♥董事会的支持
I assume that Hackett wouldn’t take such steps
哈克特也不会这么做
without some support on the CCA board.
我得直接去找杰森先生
I’ll have to go directly to Mr. Jensen.
在找之前 我需要朋友来壮大势力
When that happens, I’m going to need every friend I’ve got.
我不想所有部门的高层都是哈克特的人
And I certainly don’t want Hackett’s people in all of the divisional positions.
所以 我希望你能留下
So I’d like you to stay on, Max.
当然
Of course, Ed.
谢谢你 麦克斯
Thank you, Max.
这里是联合广播公♥司♥《晚间新闻》
This has been the UBS evening news
我是霍华德·比厄
with Howard Beale.
最初这个新的《霍华德·比厄秀》
The initial response to the new Howard Beale Show
并没有取得开门红
was not auspicatory.
媒体们毫不出所料的都表现出敌意
The press was without exception hostile
业界的评价也不好
and the industry reaction negative.
周四周五节目的开机率都是14%
The ratings for the Thursday and Friday shows were both 14.
但是周一降了一个百分点
But Monday’s rating dropped a point.
清楚地说明观众的新鲜劲儿 已经逐渐减弱了
clearly suggesting the novelty was wearing off.
你知道有一群心理学家
Did you know there are a number of psychics
在华尔街做持证股票经纪吗
working as licensed brokers on Wall Street?
有些靠塔罗牌给客户提供建议
Some of them counsel their clients by use of tarot cards.
他们都十分成功 即使是在熊市和卖♥♥空的时候也是
They’re all pretty successful, even in a bear market and selling short.
上周我就遇到了这么一个心理学家
I met one of them last week
我想给她做一♥期♥节目
and thought of doing a show around her.
华尔街捉摸不定的女巫 比如这样的
The Wayward Witch of Wall Street, something like that.
如果她的消息管用 她能摧毁整个市场
If her tips were any good, she could wreck the market.
我早晨给她打电♥话♥
So I called her this morning
问她怎么预测未来
and asked her how she was on predicting the future.
她说她偶尔才能说对一次
She said she was occasionally prescient.
比如说 她说 我刚看见你坐在办公室
For example, she said:”I just had a fleeting vision of you
和一个表情冷峻的中年男子一起
sitting in an office with a craggy middle-aged man
你们将会有感情上的纠葛
with whom you are, or will be, emotionally involved.”
所以我就到这儿来了
And here I am.
她是靠塔罗牌测出这些的吗
And she does all this with tarot cards?
这次是靠心灵学
No. This one operates on parapsychology.
她进入神志恍惚的阶段
She has trance-like episodes
在她的能量场里去感受
and feels things in her energy field.
-这个女人对你可能很有用 -怎么有用
-I think this lady couldbe very useful to you, Max. -In what way?
你是播新闻的
Well, you put on a news show
而她可以给你预测到明天有什么新闻
and here’s somebody who can predict tomorrow’s news for you.
她的名字也灵气十足 叫西比尔
Her name, aptly enough, is Sibyl.
西比尔·苏斯塞尔(女巫先知之意)
Sibyl the Soothsayer.
你可以在《霍华德·比厄秀》末尾
You could give her two minutes of trance
给她两分钟催眠时间 比如说每周一次 周五
at the end of a Howard Beale Show say, once a week, Friday
留些暗示的玄妙语
which is suggestively occult, and she could oraculate.
下一周观众会锁定频道看看她预测的有多准
Then next week everyone tunes in to see how good her predictions were.
也许她可以做天气预报
Maybe she could do the weather.
你的《无线新闻》要想维持下去 就得需要帮助
Your Network News is going to need some help, Max, if it’s gonna hold.
比厄的”愤怒人生” 做的并不理想
Beale doesn’t do the angry-man thing well at all.
他太吹毛求疵 而且还性情暴躁
He’s too, uh, kvetchy. He’s being irascible.
我们要的是一个预言家 不是个坏脾气的老头
We want a prophet, not a curmudgeon.
他应该多说些启示性的话
He should do more apocalyptic doom.
我想你需要一些给他写哀婉的故事的人
I think you should take on a couple of writers to write some jeremiads for him.
我看你并不认同我的建议
I see you don’t fancy my suggestions.
你不是认真的吧
Hell, you’re not serious, are you?
我是认真的
Oh, I’m serious.
实际上 我能把你的比厄秀
The fact is I could make your Beale Show
做成收视率最高的电视新闻节目
the highest-rated news show in television,
如果你肯让我试着破解一下的话
if you’d let me have a crack at it.
什么叫”试着破解一下”
What do you mean, “have a crack at it”?
我来帮你制片

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!