它们需要的是爱
What they need is love.
感觉好吗?
Feel good?
这是它离开象群的第一晚
[Mike] This is her first night away from the rest of the herd.
它渡过了紧张的一天 精疲力竭
She’s had a very stressful day and she’s just drained.
它需要好好睡一觉 并且尽量靠近威灵顿
She just needs a good night’s sleep as close to Wellington as possible.
来 睡觉吧
[Wellington] Come, let’s sleep. Come on.
和威利一起睡 就是这样 好姑娘
[Mike] Sleep with Wellie. There you go.
我们不能把它单独留下
[Wellington] We mustn’t leave her by herself.
你一离开它 它就会感到紧张
The minute you leave her by herself and she can be stressed from that
然后可能因此死亡
and then she can die from that stress.
所以我们得确保 全天候都有人陪着它
So we have to make sure that she has got someone 24/7.
我猜已经快八个小时了
[Mike] I guess it’s been nearly eight hours
它还是没从奶瓶里喝奶
and she hasn’t suckled from the bottle.
要是它放弃战斗
If she, if she gives up fighting…
我们就会失去它了
we’ll lose her.
这些动物快速的适应能力 真让人惊讶
[Wellington] It’s amazing how these animals quickly adapt.
我想它开始习惯我们了 -对
[Mike] I think she’s got used to us. -[Wellington] Yes.
走 我们散步去
[Mike] Come, let’s go for a walk. Come on.
好迈克 喝杯咖啡
[Wellington] Good Mikey. Cup of coffee.
今天是娜勒迪生命中 最重要的一天
[Mike] It’s the most important day in Naledi’s life.
假如它不和我们 建立关系和纽带
If she doesn’t build a relationship and a bond with us,
我们就会面临相当残酷的状况
then we’re faced with some pretty bleak situation.
慢慢地…
[Wellington] Steady. Steady.
在里面待着 好姑娘
Stay. Good girl.
娜勒迪是乖孩子
Good girl, Naledi.
你在想什么?
What are you thinking about?
你必须非常靠近它的鼻子
You have to be very close to her trunk
而它必须感受你的脸 你的鼻子
and she has to feel your face, your nose.
你就是这样和它建立纽带的
That’s how you build your bond with her.
把奶粉调到浓稠度刚好
[Mike] Mix the powder to a nice consistency.
来吧 姑娘
Come on, girl, hey.
嘿 姑娘?
Hey, girl.
来
Come on.
之前我担心娜勒迪会挺不过去
[Wellington] I was worried about Naledi, that she wasn’t going to make it…
但现在它有我们
but now she has got us.
有我们照顾它
We are there to look after her,
保护它
to protect her.
来
Come on.
跟大家打个招呼
Let’s go say hello to everybody.
这是爸爸
Here’s dad!
你害我们担心了一整天 -你都干了什么?
Had us worried all day! What have you done? -Baby.
你对这男人干了什么? -你好 姑娘
What have you done? -Baby.
我们以为它活不成了
[Mike] We thought that she wasn’t going to survive.
你还记得?
Did you?
六个兽医都跟我说 它不会挺过来
Six veterinarians told me she wasn’t going to make it,
可它现在正逐渐康复
but she’s well on the road to recovery.
他们会继续关注它
They will keep a watchful eye on her.
它还是太小了
She’s still too small.
娜勒迪的情况让我想到
And Naledi’s situation reminds me
在大♥陆♥上可能还有其他 失去父母的幼崽在游荡
of how many other orphaned calves are possibly roaming the continent now,
数量可能有几百几千 它们的母亲死于偷猎
when there could be hundreds, thousands who have lost their mothers to poaching
目前正在寻求帮助
and are looking for help.
(埃塞俄比亚亚的斯亚贝巴)
我必须继续手头的任务
I’ve got to return to the task at hand.
进入跑道30反向滑行
Enter…
准备 -准备
Ready. -Ready.
红灯
Right.
我喜欢 这是个好开头
I love it, it’s started!
好的
All right.
干得漂亮
Well done!
我喜欢这样 太棒了
[Mike] I like this, I like this.
我们正在飞往著名的 巴比勒大象保护区
[Mike] We are flying to the famous Babile Elephant Sanctuary.
那里是埃塞俄比亚已知的 拥有最多大象的地方
It’s known to have the largest elephant population in the country.
真是条漂亮的河流
Oh, it’s a beautiful river, wow.
那景色繁茂翠绿
The scenery is lush and green.
我被它的美震撼了
I’m astounded by the beauty of it.
今天是个美丽的日子 -对 很美
[pilot] Beautiful day for this. Yeah, it’s beautiful.
我们进入国家公园了吗?
Are we in the national park now?
差不多吧 我想界线就是这儿
Just about. I think the boundary’s here.
景色很壮观 但我更期待看到大象
[Mike] It’s an epic landscape, but I look forward to seeing the elephants.
不知道那些建筑物是什么
[Kelly] I don’t know what those buildings are.
我们在巴比勒国家公园里吗?
[Mike] Are we in Babile National Park?
对 -就是这里?
[pilot] Yeah. – This is the place?
不
No.
这是个大规模的镇
[Kelly] I mean, this is a massive town.
(巴比勒大象保护区)
到处都是人
[Mike] There are just people everywhere.
我跟飞行员说: “你弄错坐标了”
[Mike] I told the pilot, “You’ve got the wrong coordinates.
“这不可能是大象保护区”
This can’t be the elephant sanctuary.”
我期望看到的是一片 野生原始的栖息地
I’m expecting a wild, pristine habitat where
你应该在那里看到大象
you would expect to see elephants.
在国家公园里 看到的不应该是人
You don’t expect to see people in national parks.
埃塞俄比亚有9300万人口
Ethiopia is home to 93 million people,
他们需要依赖自然环境来生存
who need to rely on our natural environment to survive,
我能够理解
and I empathize.
但我不知道 政策制定者和决策者们
But I don’t know if policy makers and decision makers
是否真的意识到 什么才是利害攸关
are really aware what’s at stake.
在哪里能看到大部分大象?
Where are most of the elephants seen?
它们通常在这个谷地活动 -好的
[Fekede] Usually they are using this valley.
那里值得一看 对吧? -他们知道在哪吗?
It’s worth going to have a look, yeah? -Do they know where it is?
50头牲畜
[Kelly] 50 cattle.
一个大村落
Big village.
包围着农场
Surrounding farms.
大象在哪儿 大伙们? -我不知道
Where are the elephants, guys? -I don’t know.
在过去三天
[Mike] Over the last three days,
我们乘坐固定翼飞机 飞行了20个小时
we’ve spent 20 hours flying in a fixed wing.
六头牲畜
[Kelly] 60 cattle.
我们在直升机里 待了近15个小时
[Mike] We’ve spent nearly 15 hours in a helicopter.
一头大象都没看到
Unfortunately, we didn’t see any elephants.
曾经属于大象的土地
Land that used to belong to the elephants
现在已经被人类啮蚀和定居
has been eroded away and settled by people.
所以我不抱太大希望
So I don’t hold out much hope
能在埃塞俄比亚剩下的大象 分布区或国家公园看到大象了
for the rest of the elephant range or national parks in Ethiopia.
但我们不能放弃
But we can’t give up.
是大象 它们在那儿
[Pilot] Elephants! There they are!
哪里?哪里? -三点钟方向
[Mike] Where, where? -[Pilot] Three o’clock.
是的
[Mike] Wow! Wow.
天啊
Bloody hell! Wow!
看见它们了? -对 看到了
[Mike] You see them? -[pilot] Yeah, I see them.
看到它们的第一反应就是 非常惊喜和震惊
[Mike] When I first saw them, my initial reaction was one of just great surprise and shock
事实上是有大象存活的
that indeed there are elephants left.
这是什么运气? -是的
[Kelly] What luck, eh?
纯粹的运气
[Mike] Oh, yeah. -[Kelly] Pure luck.
但当中只有一头公象
[Mike] But there was only one bull.
40头母象和一头公象
Forty elephant cows and one bull.
它是象群里唯一性成熟的公象 带领着其他母象
He’s the only sexually mature bull left in that herd to cover those cows.
它是偷猎者的目标
He’s a target for poachers.
那整个象群
That whole herd is…
正处在局部灭绝的边缘 岌岌可危
…teetering on the brink of local extinction.
万一公象被射杀
If he gets shot…
那么整个象群就完了
…that’s the end of it.
照顾一头小象需要做很多工作
[handler] It takes quite a lot of work to look after a baby elephant.
我们所有训练员 都在轮番照顾娜勒迪
[Wellington] We got all the handlers to rotate on the Naledi shift.
没有一分钟 不是和娜勒迪一起度过的
[handler] Not even a minute had passed without being with Naledi.
娜勒迪 来 过来 姑娘
[Wellington] Naledi, come, come on, girl.
你好 我的姑娘
Hello, my girl.
如你所见 它很强壮 健康
As you can see, she’s very strong and healthy.
之前你会看到它伸出下颌
Before, you could see her jaws sticking out…
但现在
but now
它表现得很棒
she’s doing great.
在泛非空中调查的名单上
[Mike] Kenya has always been at the top of our list