星期天接到了个电♥话♥
[Mike] Got the phone call on Sunday,
然后我就 马上打给了我们的兽医
and immediately I phoned our veterinarian.
等兽医来到的时候 它主要的肠脏已经流出来了
[Wellington] By the time the vet arrived here, her main intestine came out.
能咨♥询♥的人我都咨♥询♥过了
[Mike] I consulted with as many people as I possibly could,
然后我知道了…
and that’s when I learnt that
它存活的机会非常渺茫
there was very little chance of hope.
(生产六周后 娜勒迪的妈妈凯蒂病倒)
然后它躺了下来 因为它感觉到很大压力
Then, she lied down because she was in big stress,
而且也很痛苦
and also in very heavy pain.
兽医帮它安乐死的时候 我没有在场
I didn’t go there when the vet was putting her down.
他不得不给它进行注射 让它安息
He had to inject her to put her to rest,
凯蒂就这样走了
and that was the end of Kiti.
它死于大肠脱垂
[Mike] She died from a prolapse of the large intestine.
我们做了我们认为正确的决定 把它埋葬了
We did what we felt was right, and that was to bury her.
凯蒂不是普通的大象
You know, Kiti wasn’t just any elephant.
这让我们所有人都措手不及
[Wellington] You know, it caught us, all of us, by surprise,
我们仍无法相信凯蒂不在了
and we still not believe that Kiti is gone.
我们想也许它只是…
We think maybe she’s gone for a, you know,
它只是去了别的地方旅行
she went out for a journey for a visit somewhere,
也许将来某一天它会回来
maybe one day she will come back.
我想那就足够了
I think that’s enough.
这小姑娘有过那么悲惨的经历
[Mike] You know, this little girl has been through such a tragic experience,
我有信心 它会…
and I’m confident that she will…
它会挺过这次困难的
she’ll pull through this difficult time.
看起来它在慢慢接受事实
[Wellington] It seems like she’s going over it.
我感觉它正在经历困难时期
I have the feeling that she is going through hard times,
我想这会留在它的心中一辈子
and it will stay within her mind for the rest of her life.
好姑娘 凯西
[man] Good girl, Cathy.
好姑娘
Good girl,
好的
OK.
在阿布象群里面 我们有凯西
[Boago] In the Abu herd, we’ve got Cathy.
所有小象 都把凯西当成祖母看待
And all the babies, they treat her as the grandmother.
凯西一直没有自己的孩子
Cathy has never had her own baby in her lifetime.
凯西 等一下
Cathy, wait.
它还是一岁的宝宝时被带走
She was taken as a baby at the age of one,
(博阿戈波洛科 大象营地管理人)
在动物园和马戏团里 待了超过20年
and she has been in zoos and circuses for more than 20 years.
凯西 我们走
Cathy, let’s go!
娜勒迪去了找凯西
[Wellington] Naledi went to Cathy.
尽管它是年纪最大的 有时候也让会人捉摸不透
Although she’s the oldest, she can be sometimes unpredictable.
但它允许娜勒迪 从自己身上吮吸
But she let Naledi to suckle from her.
之后它就有了一点奶
She managed to get a little bit of milk then.
真的不可思议 凯西能够产奶
[Mike] What’s really incredible is how Cathy has been able to produce milk
它本身没生过孩子 这非常惊人
when she’s never had a calf of her own, that’s just phenomenal.
现在凯西有产出足够的奶吗?
Now, is Cathy producing enough milk?
里面的营养是否足够?
Is there enough nutrition in it?
我们能吃一天算一天
We just take each day as it comes.
它很瘦
She’s thin.
它掉了那么多体重 让人很吃惊
It’s amazing how much weight she’s lost.
它今天有足够的奶吗? -不 不够
Do you think she got enough milk today? No, she’s not getting enough.
我们能做些什么 来确保它有 更多的生存机会?
So what can we do to make sure that we give her more chances?
凯蒂死后 我们面临最大挑战 就是喂养娜勒迪
[Wellington] After Kiti’s death, the biggest challenge is to feed Naledi.
我准备尝试把配方奶放到 凯西乳♥头♥的旁边
I’m gonna try and put artificial milk next to Cathy’s nipple.
也许它会吃
Then she might take it.
我会继续尝试
I’ll keep on trying.
每一天
Each and every day…
娜勒迪的体重都在下降 它变得皮包骨 也很虚弱
Naledi is losing weight and she’s becoming skinny and weak.
可以看到它在伸出下颌
You could see that the jaws were sticking out.
那表示它吃得不够
Showing that she wasn’t getting enough food.
事实上凯西 不知道怎么照顾小象
Cathy actually doesn’t know how to take care of the baby…
也没有足够的奶
and doesn’t have enough milk.
它现在就是靠身体脂肪在撑着
She’s living off body fats, essentially, that’s what’s keeping her going,
等到那些储备用完后 情况就会急剧恶化
and when those reserves have run out, it’s a very quick deterioration.
来 娜勒迪
Come on.
我尝试过揉搓它下唇的四周
I tried to rub it around her lower lips.
试过把配方奶 抹在凯西胸部周围
I’ve tried to rub the milk formula around Cathy’s breasts.
我们都感到很无助
You know, we’re all feeling helpless.
拯救它的方法 就是让它喝配方奶
The solution to saving her life is for her to take the milk formula.
它已经到达了一个低谷 我们从没见过它这么虚弱
She’s reached such a low ebb now. This is the weakest we have seen her.
它看起来筋疲力尽 了无生气
She looks drained, she’s lethargic.
它的小眼睛在渗出液体 耷拉着头
Her little eyes are weeping, she holds her head low.
这些迹象会出现在 被抛弃的野生幼崽身上
Signs that I’ve seen out in the wild of young calves
并且它们会逐渐走向死亡
that have been abandoned and are on their way out.
照这么下去 威利
At the rate she’s going, Wellie…
最终我们会失去它
we will lose her.
在这种情况下 我们能做的 就是尽量给它争取时间
OK? In this situation. All we’re doing is buying her more time.
按照这样的衰弱速度
But the rate we’re going now…
它活不过两三天
you know, I don’t give her more than two, three days.
我们必须采取措施
[Wellington] We have to try and do something.
最好的方法就是把它和 象群其他成员分隔开来
[AK] The best way is to separate her from all the rest of the herd.
它两个姐姐会感到紧张
[Wellington] The two sisters will be stressed,
但让它们一起生活 并没任何帮助
but it won’t help at all if we try and keep them together.
这是我们最后的选择了
This is the last option now.
好的 -牵制住凯西
OK, take Cathy.
好 -抓住凯西
We need to open.
得打开… -打开 把边上打开
Open, open. Open the side. Open.
放松 娜勒迪
[Wellington] Easy, Naledi.
迈克 上车
[caretaker] Mike, get inside.
放轻松 别紧张 好孩子
Take e
好姑娘
Good girl
这是我们最后的手段
It’s our last…
来确保它能渡过这个难关
…option to make sure she pulls through this.
之前我们在看着它走向死亡
You know, we were watching her die
这是我们拯救它的唯一机会了
and this is the only chance that we have of saving her.
我们不禁自问 这么做到底对不对?
[Mike] We’re asking ourselves, you know, did we do the right thing?
放松…
Easy, easy,
放松…
easy.
这份工作是没有指导手册的
You know, there is no manual for this work.
情况变幻莫测
It’s unpredictable.
而且让我们所有人都很矛盾
And it’s very conflicting for all of us
因为我们真的是在尽全力 拯救娜勒迪的性命
because we are really trying to do the best we can to save Naledi’s life.
给 你摸摸看
[Mike] Here you go, Wellie. Just feed it to her.
温度对吗? -好多了 谢谢你
Right temperature? -Much better, thank you.
你好 姑娘
[Mike] Hi girl, hi!
嘿 -娜勒迪
[Mike] Hi! -[Wellington] Take this bottle.
请不要让我失望
[Wellington] Please don’t let me down!

Hey
我们必须像它们的妈妈一样
We have to be like their mothers.
全天候待在它身边
We have to be with her 24/7.
这才是好孩子 娜勒迪
Good boy
这样它才会 最终接受你是它的妈妈
That’s how she’ll end up accepting you as her mother.
因为它知道 是你给它提供食物的
‘Cause she knows that you are the provider.
这才是好孩子
[whispering] That’s a good girl.
显然它还是有一点紧张
[Mike] You know, she’s still clearly a little nervous.
来 过来
[Wellington] Come on, girl.
来 姑娘
Come on, girl.
我们在给它吃奶粉
[Mike] We’re offering her powdered milk.
得一步一步地来
You know, we’ve just got to take it one step at a time.
它想全部吃掉
[Mike, laughing] She wants it all!
那让它举起象鼻了
[Bob] That gets her trunk up.
来这里 过来
[Mike] Come here.
对 好姑娘 这就对了
Come on, girl.
好的
Okay
好的
OK, all right.

All right, shh, shh.
来 过来 娜勒迪
Come. Come, Naledi.
告诉我…怎么了?
Tell me, what’s wrong with you?
想吮吸我的手指?
You want to suck my finger?
不 我的耳朵
Oh, no, my ear.
我没办法进入它的内心或思想
I can’t get inside her heart or inside her mind
来确切知道它正在经历什么
and tell exactly what she’s going through.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!