Well, bring a poem. They’ll love you.
你不是有趣的。
You’re not funny.
我也不想这样。
I’m not trying to be.
你的诗很好。
Your poems are good.
我要读朱迪·布鲁姆的手稿。
I have a Judy Blume manuscript to read.
朱迪·布鲁姆?
Judy Blume?
朱迪他妈的抱吗?
Judy fucking Blume?
我喜欢过《一而再》,也许我不再。
I loved Then Again, Maybe I Won’t.
你喜欢朱迪·布鲁姆吗?
You like Judy Blume?
是的。我是说,我也曾经是个孩子。
Yeah. I mean, I was a kid once.
和她心目中的英雄托尼一样,我的父母也是工人阶级
And like her hero, Tony, my parents were working class
搬到了一个中产阶级地区。
and moved to a middle-class area.
这是关于社会阶级的。
It’s about social class.
不,不是!
No, it’s not!
我喜欢平淡无奇的东西让你兴奋不已,
It turns you on that I like pedestrian stuff,
不是吗?
doesn’t it?
会有一本朱迪·布鲁姆的新书
To be given Judy Blume’s new book
仿佛坐在看台上开始
was like going from sitting in the stands
看到一个本垒打。
to hitting a home run.
我感到无比幸运。
I felt lucky to be on the inside.
好吗?
Well?
我喜欢它。
I like it.
真的吗?
Really?
但你是怎么想的?
But what do you make of it?
(我不能肯定你的意思。)
I’m not sure what you mean.
这不是一本儿童读物,对吧?
Well, it’s not a kids book, is it?
不,不,是关于大人的孩子。
No, no, it’s about kids for grown-ups.
是关于女性友谊的。
It’s about female friendship.
但是大人会买♥♥一本关于孩子的书吗?
But will adults buy a book about kids?
我可以卖♥♥吗?
Can I sell it?
很多书都以儿童为主角。
Lots of books have child protagonists.
嗯,我>
Um, Oliver Twist!
《雾都孤儿》
This is not Oliver Twist.
但你会买♥♥吗?
But you would buy it?
我会的。
I would.
嗯……
Hmm…
许多人会。
Many people would.
还有怀旧的因素。
There’s the nostalgia factor.
我这一代人都是看着朱迪·布鲁姆长大的。
You know, my entire generation grew up on Judy Blume.
也许吧。
Maybe.
肯定。
Definitely.
好吧。你已经玩够了。
All right. You’ve had your fun.
我把新磁带放在你桌上了。
I put new tapes on your desk.
关上门。
Close the door.
我成交了。
I got the deal.
当然,她非常高兴。
For sure, she was very happy.
朱迪!玛格丽特正在等你。
Judy! Margaret is expecting you.
哦!
Oh!
—咖啡吗?—没有。
– Coffee? – No.
这是非常令人兴奋!是的。
That’s very exciting! Yes.
它是什么?
What is it?
朱迪·布鲁姆报道。
Judy Blume is here.
狗屎!
Shit!
迈克尔,等一下。
Uh, Michael, hold on one second.
这是今天吗?
That’s today?
我以为我们有更多的时间。
I thought we had more time.
她会搞砸的,对吧?
She’s going to blow this, isn’t she?
我想是的。
I think so.
嘿!
Hey!
我们一直在翻新,搬东西,
We’ve been renovating, moving everything around,
所以你的书才会在下面乱放。
which is why your books are down there and out of order.
别担心。
Don’t worry about it.
我是乔安娜。
I’m Joanna.
我是玛格丽特的新助理。
I’m Margaret’s new assistant.
我是你的超级粉丝。
And I’m such a huge fan of yours.
—你真好。—很高兴认识你。
– That’s very sweet of you. – Really nice to meet you.
—朱迪!—你好!
– Judy! – Hi!
见到你真高兴!到我办公室来。
How lovely to see you! Come into my office.
好!
Good!
请坐。
Please take a seat.
你知道路。
You know the way.
所以……
So…
我不确定它能不能吸引读者……
I’m not sure it could attract readers…
乔安娜?
Joanna?
你为什么不接电♥话♥?
Why don’t you answer your phone?
接待处有人想见你。
There’s someone at the reception who wants to see you.
我吗?
Me?
你是乔安娜·拉科夫吗?
Are you Joanna Rakoff?
—是的!—那是你的真名吗?
– Yes! – Is that your real name?
这太荒谬了,听起来很假。
It’s so ridiculous, it sounds fake.
你没有权利保留塞林格给我的信。
You have no right to keep my letter from Salinger.
我很抱歉。你是谁?
I’m sorry. Who are you?
因为你,我英语要挂科了!
Because of you, I’m going to fail English!
一切都好吗?
Is everything all right here?
—是的。—没有。
– Yes. – No.
我们下楼去喝杯咖啡,好吗?
Why don’t we go downstairs and get a coffee, OK?
乔安娜?
Joanna?
你不是应该在学校吗?
Aren’t you supposed to be in school?
你以为你是谁啊?
Who do you think you are?
回复杰里的邮件是我的工作。
It’s my job here to answer Jerry’s mail.
哦,对你来说是杰瑞?
Oh, it’s Jerry to you?
他是你的糖爹吗?
Is he your sugar daddy?
不,我……我从没见过他。好吗?
No, I… I’ve never even met him. OK?
塞林格先生不想收到他的邮件。
Mr. Salinger does not want to receive his mail.
所以你就像我妈妈一样教训我。
So instead you lecture me like you’re my mother.
你是对的。好吗?
You’re right. OK?
我很抱歉。
I’m sorry.
我道歉。
I apologize.
你的信不一样。
Your letter was different.
我觉得你应该得到真正的回应,而不是我们,
And I thought you deserved a real response instead of our,
“很抱歉我们不能传递你的善意”之类的屁话。
“I’m sorry we cannot pass along your kind note,” bullshit.
所以我给你写了一些更私人的东西。
So I wrote you something more personal.
什么使你认为你的建议
What makes you think your advice
总比一些扯淡的回应好吧?
is better than some bullshit response?
我要去上暑期班。
I’m going to summer school.
非常感谢,拉科夫小姐。
So thanks a lot, Miss Rakoff.
你给一个粉丝发了一封私人信件,
You sent a personal letter to one of the fans,
她怒气冲冲地闯进来?
and she came storming in here?
哦我的天哪!
Oh my gosh!
哦我的天哪!
Oh my gosh!
你知道有多少次,
Do you have any idea how many times,
我给塞林格回信的时候,
when I was answering Salinger’s letters,
我想写我自己的回信吗?
I wanted to write my own one back?
真的吗?
Really?
当然!
Of course!
“亲爱的先生,迷恋另一个作家。
“Dear sir, obsess over another writer.
我听说库尔特·冯内古特回复了他自己的粉丝来信!”
I hear Kurt Vonnegut answers his own fan mail!”
有时候,你只想说:“嘿,失败者!”
Sometimes, you just wanna go: “Hey, loser!”
和……然后别人……
And… and then others…
……他们是如此的迷人。
…they’re so engaging.
你只是想支持他们,知道吗?
You just want to champion them, you know?
是的,是的!完全正确!
Yes, yes! Exactly!
是的。
Yeah.
但你已经越界了。
But you’ve crossed the line.
从道德和法律上讲,这都是一个巨大的兔子洞。
It’s a huge rabbit hole, ethically and legally.
我要把你从塞林格的邮箱里撤掉。
I’m taking you off Salinger’s mail.
—不,不。—是的。
– No, no. – Yes.
请休。我太喜欢这些信了。
Hugh, please. I love these letters so much.
我保证这种事不会再发生了。我保证。
I promise you this won’t happen again. I promise.
朱迪?
Judy?
啊,糟了!