She says I’ll have to repeat my year,
于是变得很尴尬了。
and that’s gonna be so embarrassing.
我问她:”我可以做什么呢?“
So I asked her: “What can I do?”
“给J.D.塞林格写封信,”她告诉我,
“Write a letter to J.D. Salinger,” she told me,
“他的回信会很棒吧。
“and make it so good that he’ll write back.
如果他回信了,我给你考试A。”
If he writes back, I’ll give you an A.”
请回信,好让我得A。
Please write back so I can get an A.
“一个通过欺骗获得的A
“An A earned by trickery
”意味着完全没有。
“means absolutely nothing.
“你会发现这个小女生
“You’ll soon find out that young women
“经常被认为有双重标准
“are often held to double standards
来定义获得的成功。“
when it comes to success.”
你需要向你自己和你的同伴证明
“You need to prove to yourself and to your peers
“你不需要特殊处理,
“that you do not need special treatment.
”你如果想要得A或顺利过关,
“If you desire an A or a passing grade,
“必须完成你所应该做的事。
“you must do the work assigned to you.
“如果你想坚持霍尔顿的精神,
“And if you want to uphold the spirit of Holden,
”试着不要太在意别人是如何评价你的。
“try not to care too much about how people judge you.
“这可能意味着更谦虚,
“This might mean being more humble,
”但是这是唯一的方法。
“but it’s the only way.
真诚,乔安娜Rakoff。”
Sincerely, Joanna Rakoff.”
你已经成为塞林格的专家了。
You’ve become quite the expert in what Salinger would say.
“如果你想弘扬霍尔顿的精神……”
“If you want to uphold the spirit of Holden…”
你读过《麦田里的守望者》吗?
Have you read Catcher yet?
你没有!
You haven’t!
难以置信!
Unbelievable!
Bret被凯斯西储录取了。
Bret got accepted at Case Western.
我以为他要去布鲁克林法学院。
Thought he was going to Brooklyn Law.
他来自中西部。他很怀念,你知道吗?
He’s from the Midwest. He misses it, you know?
所以你会一直待在这里直到他结束吗?
So you’ll stay here until he’s done?
当然不是。我要和他一起去。
Of course not. I’m going with him.
我们订婚了,还记得吗?
We’re engaged, remember?
嘿,你走吗?
Hey, you’re moving?
我……我以为你喜欢你的工作?
I… I thought you loved your work?
我做!但是克利夫兰是一个很酷的城市。
I do! But Cleveland is a cool city.
我们已经在夏克高地找房♥子了。
We’re already looking for a place in Shaker Heights.
哇!郊区!
Wow! The suburbs!
你最近一直在写信吗?
Have you been writing lately?
我已经不再写作了。
I don’t really write anymore.
我知道我们曾经说过我们想成为作家,
I know we used to say that we wanted to become writers,
但那更适合你。
but that was more your thing.
我已经长大了。
I kind of grew out of it.
你说得好像是青少年时期。
You make it sound like a teenage phase.
不就是这样吗?
Isn’t that what it was?
我不明白你的意思。
I don’t understand.
你会为了Bret的项目放弃一切吗?
You’ll drop everything for Bret’s project?
哇,乔安娜,停!
Whoa, Joanna, stop!
我不想当作家。
I don’t want to be a writer.
你一直说你想写作
You keep saying you wanna write,
但你为其他作家工作时间很长
but you work long hours for other writers
而唐却在家里写小说。
while Don is at home writing his novel.
哦,我们都写。
Oh, we both write.
我们互相支持对方的工作。
And we’re supportive of each other’s work.
那我真为你们高兴!
Well, then I’m happy for you guys!
请为我感到高兴。
Please be happy for me.
我很抱歉。
I’m sorry.
嗯……
Um…
不如我们去华尔道夫饭店吃甜点吧?
Why don’t we go to the Waldorf and eat dessert?
哈!我要12美元的芝士蛋糕。
Ha! I’ll have the $12 cheesecake.
也许我们可以在我老板的马提尼午餐上见她。
Maybe we’ll catch my boss on her martini lunch or something.
我得回去工作了。
Gotta get back to work.
—都是你喜欢的吗?—是的。谢谢你!
– Everything to your liking? – Yes. Thank you.
要我帮你叫辆出租车吗?
May I get you a cab?
哦,今天天气真好。我想我会走着去。
Oh, it’s such a nice day. I think I’ll walk.
这是一个美好的一天。你喜欢它。
It is a beautiful day. You enjoy it.
谢谢!
Thanks!
你好?
Hello?
你好,苏珊娜!你今天好吗?
Hello, Suzanna! How are you today?
……我很好。你好吗?康沃尔的天气怎么样?
I’m… I’m great. How are you? How’s the weather in Cornish?
这是非常愉快的。告诉我,苏珊娜。
It’s very pleasant. Uh, tell me something, Suzanna.
我正在看那些书
I was looking at those books
来自弗吉尼亚的克里福德, Merrybells出版社的。
from this fellow Clifford in Virginia, Merrybells Press.
是的……
Yes…
你有什么想法吗?
What do you think of them?
嗯……
Um…
老实说,我觉得这个设计不怎么样。
Honestly, I think the design isn’t great.
我觉得他们雇个设计师会很有好处。
I think they’d really benefit from hiring a designer.
但说到书本身,
Uh, but as far as the books themselves,
我只读了几本。
I’ve only read a few.
不过我确实喜欢他们出版的一些诗人。
I do like some of the poets they publish, though.
哦,你会读诗吗
Oh, you read poetry?
我喜欢,是的,经常喜欢!
I do, yes, a lot!
但是你自己写诗吗
But do you write poetry yourself?
我做!
I do!
好的,很高兴听到。
Well, I’m very glad to hear that.
诗歌♥是心灵的食粮
Poetry is food for the soul.
请不要忘了,
Never forget that,
呃,苏珊娜。
uh, Suzanna.
灵魂的食物。我懂了!
Food for the soul. I’ve got it!
哦,苏珊娜,每天写作是很重要的。
Uh, Suzanna, it’s important to write everyday.
你知道吗?
You know that?
我会记住的。
I’ll keep that in mind.
杰瑞想见见克里福德。
Jerry wants to meet Clifford.
天啊!
Gosh!
我们得找个隐蔽的地方。
We have to find somewhere discreet.
好吧,不会的。
Well, it won’t be.
杰瑞星期三要开车去华盛顿。
Jerry’s driving down to Washington on Wednesday.
他们要在乔治城大学的自助餐厅见面。
They’re meeting in a cafeteria at Georgetown University.
这是可怕的!可怕的!
That’s awful! Awful!
我们相信这个克利福德的家伙吗?
Uh, do we trust this Clifford fellow?
我不知道。
I don’t know.
所以,我们假设他不会泄露邮件
So, we’re presuming he’s not gonna tip off The Post
世界上最隐居的作家,
that the world’s most reclusive writer,
他几乎不出家门
who barely leaves his home,
已经几十年没接受过采访了,
who hasn’t given an interview in decades,
正在吃午饭
will be having lunch
周三在乔治城大学?
at Georgetown University on Wednesday?
是的。
Yeah.
你跟杰瑞提过这种可能性吗?
You have mentioned this possibility to Jerry?
我没有。杰瑞把克利福德当成朋友。
I have not. Jerry thinks of Clifford as a pal.
如果我说他的坏话,
If I say anything negative about him,
杰瑞不会接受的。
Jerry will not take it kindly.
就是这样。重返工作岗位。
That’s it. Back to work.
乔安娜,告诉我你的想法。
Oh, Joanna, tell me what you think of this.
朱迪·布鲁姆?
Judy Blume?
你听说过她吗?
You’ve heard of her?
我当然有!
Of course I have!
我小时候读过她所有的书。
I read all of her books as a kid.
我爱她。每个人都喜欢她。
I love her. Everyone loves her.
她是我前任克莱尔的客户。
She was a client of my predecessor, Claire.
她很久没写书了。
She’s not written a book in a long time.
你读过朱迪·布鲁姆的书吗?
Have you ever read Judy Blume?
不。我不看儿童文学。
No. I don’t read children’s literature.
但是它们太棒了!
But they’re so wonderful!
我敢肯定!克莱尔的品味无可挑剔。
I’m sure! Claire had impeccable taste.
你想出去吗?
You wanna go out?
我们破产了。
We’re broke.
所以呢?我们一起喝啤酒。
So? We’ll split a beer.
今天是克格勃的扩音器之夜。
It’s open mic night at the KGB.
什么?
What?
那就带首诗来。他们会爱你。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!