Hi! Is this Clifford Bradbury?
你好!我是乔安娜·拉科夫。
Hi! This is Joanna Rakoff.
我在A & F文学管理公♥司♥工作。
I work for A & F Literary Management.
代理的工作
The job of an agent
是给他们客户的好机会。
is to open up opportunities for their clients.
但是当谈到塞林格的时候,逻辑正好相反
But when it came to Salinger, the logic was reversed.
我们必须将他与外界做好有效隔离,
We had to shield him from the outside world,
巩固了他作为一个复杂的隐士的声誉
bolstering his reputation as a complicated recluse.
是的,谢谢你。
Yeah, thank you.
但出版哈普华兹
But publishing Hapworth
将会吸引多少的关注啊。
was going to get a lot of attention.
没有人明白他改变心意了
Nobody understood his change of heart.
晚上,杰瑞。
Night, Jerry.
也许,我想我理解了。
Maybe, I thought, I understood.
也许他意识到他想要的是什么
Maybe he realized that what he wanted
或许也不是他需要的。
wasn’t what he wanted at all.
我说:“你是认真的吗?”
I was like: “Are you serious?”
她就像:
She was like:
“是的,他绝对是来我梦里看我的。”
“Yeah, he’s totally visiting me in my dreams.
我想他有话要告诉我。”
I think he has a message for me.”
我朝两边看了看,看有没有人听见。
And I looked to either side of me to see if anyone heard.
你在写什么?
What are you writing?
写一首很糟糕的诗。
Writing a very bad poem.
听着,Bret和我聊过,然后……
Listen, Bret and I were talking, and…
看起来……
Look…
你第一次回到纽约的时候,
When you first got back to New York,
我说你可以住在这里,
and I said that you could stay here,
说实话,我以为你会和卡尔一起回伯克利。
to be honest, I thought you’d go back to Berkeley with Karl.
你要把我赶出去?
You’re kicking me out?
不,喜欢……
No, like…
你能来我很高兴,如果你愿意,你可以留下,
I’m happy to have you here, and you can stay if you want,
但你打算怎么做?
but what did you plan on doing?
你有什么选择?
What are your options?
哦!啊!
Oh! Ah!
我们给公♥寓♥消毒了
We disinfected the apartment.
因为之前那个人有7只猫。
‘Cause the man before had 7 cats.
但是像你们这样的年轻夫妇
But young married couple like you
好好照顾它,好吗?
take better care of it, yeah?
我们不结婚了。
We’re not married.
隔壁的那个男人,
The man next door,
如果你需要,他会照顾你。
he takes care of little things if you need.
他是墨西哥人。他喜欢喝酒。
He’s Mexican. He drinks.
但是他工作很努力。
But he works hard.
嗯,多少钱?
Uh, how much?
560美元。
$560.
我们会考虑的!
We’ll think about it!
不,我们要这个。
No, we’ll take it.
哦!好交易!
Oh! Good deal!
你是犹太人,是吗?
You’re Jewish, yeah?
—我吗?—嗯?
– Me? – Mmm?
不。
No.
我喜欢,很负责任。
I like, very responsible.
—嗯。—按时支付工资。
– Hmm. – Pay on time.
呃,我们签个字吧。
Uh, let’s sign the paper.
租约会用她的名字签。
The lease is gonna be under her name.
嗯?
Hmm?
给我们自己一天时间好好想想。
Could have just given ourselves a day to think about it.
不,这是纽约,小姐,大日子!
No, this is New York City, young lady, the big time!
我每周只能挣300美元。
I barely make $300 a week.
不,等等,我们平分房♥租,布巴。
No, wait, we split the rent, Buba.
我付我那一半。
I’m gonna pay my half.
我只是……我只是要避免信用检查。
I just… I just have to avoid the credit check.
我来处理家具,好吗?
Look, I’ll take care of the furniture, all right?
没有沉没。
There’s no sink.
什么?
What?
厨房♥里没有洗涤槽。
There’s no sink in the kitchen.
我就知道公♥寓♥有点不对劲。
I knew something was off about the apartment.
我都不敢碰这里。
I couldn’t put my finger on it.
这里没有厨房♥水槽。
There’s no kitchen sink.
我们刚签了一间没有水槽的公♥寓♥的租约!
We just signed a lease for an apartment with no sink!
我们可以在浴缸里洗碗。
Well, we can do the dishes in the bathtub.
没什么大不了的。
It’s no big deal.
有一个浴缸。相信我。
There’s a tub. Trust me.
嘿,男人!你要来吗?
Hey, man! You coming?
女士们,先生们……
Ladies and gentlemen…
亲爱的塞林格先生,请原谅我的英语不好。
Dear Mr. Salinger, please forgive my bad English.
我晚上工作很多,
I work much at night,
我喜欢它,因为我不用和别人说那么多。
and I like it because I don’t have to talk to people so much.
我的心很不安,就像霍尔顿·考尔菲德一样。
My heart is troubled, just like Holden Caulfield.
霍顿就像我的祖父,你知道的,一个言出必行的人。
Holden is like my grandfather, you know, a no-bullshit man.
他教会了我很多关于人性的东西。
He taught me a lot about human nature.
他警告我说,大多数人都会让我失望。
He warned me I would be disappointed by most people.
我们将非常荣幸
We would be very honored
如果你明年能做我们毕业典礼的读书人的话。
if you would serve as our commencement reader next year.
当然,我们会为您提供住宿
We would, of course, provide you with accommodation
在一家很好的客栈里,
in a very fine inn,
我知道你的隐私对你来说很重要,
where your privacy, which I know is important to you,
会受到严格的尊重。
would be scrupulously respected.
钓鱼帮助我。
The fishing helps me.
一个躲避噩梦的好地方。
A nice refuge from my nightmares.
越南战争已经过去27年了。
It’s been 27 years since Vietnam.
情况越来越糟。
They just keep getting worse.
看到你死去的朋友
You know, seeing your dead friends
他们的内脏被掏出来……
having their guts ripped out…
我相信你肯定也做过类似的梦,
Well, I’m sure you must have similar type dreams,
作为一个老兵……
being a veteran who…
”……不希望收到读者的邮件。
“…does not wish to receive mail from his readers.
“因此,我们不能把你友好的字条传递给他
“Thus, we cannot pass along your kind note to him.
我们非常感谢你对塞林格先生的书的兴趣”
We thank you for your interest in Mr. Salinger’s book.”
我女儿死于白血病。
My daughter died from leukemia.
她是一位有才华的年轻作家。
She was a talented young writer.
为了纪念她,我创办了一家小型文学杂♥志♥,
I’m founding a small literary magazine in her memory,
请允许我称它为香蕉鱼,
and I’d like permission to call it Bananafish,
因为塞林格是她的最爱……
as Salinger was her fav…
标题不受版权保护。
Titles can’t be copyrighted.
我可以写一本小说
I could write a novel
如果我愿意,就把它叫做《了不起的盖茨比》吧。
and call it The Great Gatsby if I wanted to.
所以,是的,她可以叫她的杂♥志♥香蕉鱼
So, yes, she can call her magazine Bananafish.
太棒了!
Great!
但是中介不能给她建议。
But the agency can’t advise her.
一如既往……
As always…
真的吗?
Really?
是的!我告诉你这些只是为了启发你。
Yep! I’m just telling you this for your own edification.
发送模板信并完成撕碎。
Send the form letter and finish shredding.
这是荒谬的!
That’s absurd!
当然,你是对的。
Well, of course, you’re right.
她会冲我大喊大叫的
She’s gonna start yelling at me
她一挂断电♥话♥。
the minute she’s off the phone.
很高兴和你聊天,杰瑞,一如既往。再见!
A pleasure to talk to you, Jerry, as always. Goodbye!
废话三明治!
Crap sandwich!
—休!—是吗?
– Hugh! – Yes?
塞林格的合同准备好了吗?
Do you have the Salinger contract ready?
是的,差不多了。
Yes, almost there.
让帕姆打电♥话♥给信使
Ask Pam to call a messenger
所以我们可以在6点前把它送到《纽约客》。
so we can get it over to The New Yorker before 6:00.
《纽约客》?
The New Yorker?
是的。
Yes.
那我自己来最好了,不是吗?
Probably best if I just bring it myself then, no?
我是看《纽约客》长大的,
I grew up reading The New Yorker,
也是跟随我父亲 。
following my father’s ritual.
他会从电影评论开始,