– 嗨,先生Owett。 – 嘿,维达。
– Hi, Mr. Owett. – Hey, Veda.
– 文章怎么样了? – 很好。
– How’s your report coming? – Great.
我有什么好说的,我都不知道从哪里开始。
I have so much to say, I hardly know where to start.
我一直在重读弗吉尼亚·伍尔夫。我想她对你来说不错。
I’ve been rereading Virginia Woolf. I think she’d be a natural for you.
她引领这一种迷人的生活。
She led a fascinating life.
谢谢,但我认为我会坚持写我的妈妈。
Thanks, but I think I’m gonna stick to my mum.
她也引领这一种迷人的生活。
She led a fascinating life, too.
我敢肯定。
I’m sure she did.
他给你一个简单的了建议,所以你不会写你的母亲了。
He was giving you an easy out so you didn’t have to write about your mother.
但我还是想写她。
But I want to write about her.
你疯了。她有什么大成就呢?
You’re crazy. What was her big achievement?
– 她发明重力吗? – 重力不是人发明的。
– Did she invent gravity? – No one invented gravity.
它只是一直存在。
It just exists.
然后,她又做了什么呢?
Then what did she do?
好了,我不应该谈论这事…
Well, I’m not supposed to talk about it…
但因为我要去写这事,我也可以告诉你。
…but since I’m going to write about it, I might as well tell you.
她是一个对抗俄♥罗♥斯♥的间谍。
She was a spy against the Russians.
你觉得自己是在跟谁开玩笑吗?
Please. Who do you think you’re kidding?
她在哪里监视俄♥国♥人的呢?
And where did she spy on the Russians from?
在这里,在宾夕法尼亚州吗?
Here in Pennsylvania?
不,不是在宾夕法尼亚州。
No, not here in Pennsylvania.
她用她的剧团做掩护去俄♥罗♥斯♥卧底 …
She went to Russia undercover with her acting troupe…
…,得到了很多高度敏感的秘密计划。
…and got a lot of highly sensitive secret plans sent back.
就在她要回家时,她被抓住了,他们杀了她。
Just when she was about to go home, she got caught and they killed her.
所以,当她怀了你的时候,她在演出…
So, when did she have you between all of her acting…
…然后从事间谍活动而被抓到吗?
…and spying and getting caught?
这很简单。
That’s simple.
当她去到俄♥罗♥斯♥前怀上了我,但并不知道。
She was pregnant with me when she went to Russia, but didn’t know.
当俄♥国♥人发现了她,都热切地盼望着杀了她。
When the Russians found out, they waited to shoot her.
在世界上的任何地方都是不允许杀孕妇的。
You’re not allowed to kill pregnant women anywhere in the world.
所以,她不得不在俄♥罗♥斯♥监狱里把你生下来?
So she had you in jail in Russia?
嗯,其实,我出生在西伯利亚,然后苏联人枪杀了她…
Well, actually, I was born in Siberia and then they shot her…
…送我回到我爸爸家。
…and sent me home to my dad.
如果废话会穿胸罩的话,你站都站不稳。
If bullshit wore a bra, you’d be top-heavy.
来吧,朱迪。
Come on, Judy.
问其他人。去问我爸爸。
Ask anyone. Ask my dad.
这可能是真的。
It could be true.
当一个人没什么可说的时候,怎么会讲了这么多
How come guys talk so much when they have nothing to say…
…女孩有很多可以说,可就是没有人听吗?
… and girls have plenty to say, but no one’ll listen?
我小的时候来这里,睡在这上面。
I used to come down here and sleep on this spot when I was little.
我的报告作业会是一场灾难。
My report’s gonna be a disaster.
我对她的一切了解,都装在一个小盒子里。
Everything I know about her fits into one little box.
盒子?
A box?
哦,维达,真是可爱的小人书啊!
Oh, Vada, what a sweet baby book!
它只画了两页。
It’s only filled out to page two.
我,八磅四盎司。
I was eight pounds, four ounces.
有这么多的节目。
There are so many programmes.
她出演过很多戏剧。
She was in a lot of plays.
爸爸说,当她在舞台上…
Dad said that when she was on stage…
她把观众都牢牢吸引住了。
…she held the audience in the palm of her hand.
这是什么? “12月8日,1958。”
What’s this? “December 8, 1958.”
我不知道。爸爸也不知道。
I don’t know. Dad doesn’t either.
好了,这很有意思。
Well, it must mean something.
她显然很感伤。
She was obviously very sentimental.
这,这是我最喜欢做的,她的护照。
This, that’s one of my favourite things, her passport.
维达,她真是个美人。
Vada, she’s so beautiful.
“玛格莉特安穆尔德凡,出生在美国加利福尼亚州洛杉矶,…
“Margaret Ann Muldovan, born in Los Angeles, California…
“…… 1936年2月7日。”水瓶座。
“…February 7, 1936.” Aquarius.
玛格丽特是我的中间名,但大家都叫她麦琪。
Margaret’s my middle name, but everybody called her Maggie.
– 洛杉矶。你有去过那里吗? – 不
– Los Angeles. Have you ever been there? – No.
你知道,他们说那里从来不下雨…
You know, they say that it never rains…
…你可以在圣诞节烧烤。
…that you can barbecue on Christmas Day.
你冲浪就可以经过你朋友的房♥子,而不是骑自行车。
Instead of riding your bike, you just surf over to your friend’s house.
这个地方满地都是名人。
The place is just crawling with celebrities.
我知道有人看到沃尔特·马修去拿他的干洗衣服。
I know someone who saw Walter Matthau picking up his dry cleaning.
这就是为什么菲尔叔叔搬到那里住?
Is that why Uncle Phil moved there?
菲尔叔叔只是需要改变。
Uncle Phil just needed a change.
冒一点点的险。
A little adventure.
如果她从来不去任何地方,那为什么她有本护照 ?
I wonder why she got a passport if she never went anywhere?
你得做好准备啊。
Well, you’ve gotta be prepared.
我肯定有一天也会旅行。
I’m definitely travelling some day.
为什么不是现在?
Why not now?
你是什么意思?
What do you mean?
你想要访问你在洛杉矶的菲尔叔叔吗…?
How would you like to visit your Uncle Phil in Los Angeles…
下周,你的春季假期?你可以探究你妈妈到底怎么回事。
…next week, during your spring vacation? You could do research on your mum.
但是,你和孩子怎么办? 你需要我。
But what about you and the baby? You need me.
但我接下来6周左右宝宝还不会出来 。
But I’m not due to have the baby for another six weeks or so.
这将是件大事。
It would be kind of great.
这将是非常棒的!
It would be fantastic!
但是,爸爸不会去了。
But Dad will never go for it.
吧你的父亲留给我吧。
You leave your father to me.
您应该鼓励她,让她远走。
You should encourage her to spread her wings.
她可以展开她的翅膀,在宾夕法尼亚州就可以。
She can spread her wings here in Pennsylvania.
你不能送孩子到洛杉矶。
You don’t send a child to Los Angeles.
她可能带着耳洞和剃了毛的腿回来。
She could come back with her ears pierced and legs shaved.
她不是一个孩子。她是一个年轻的女人。
She’s not a child. She’s a young woman.
– 她正在… – 灾难。
– She’s on the brink of… – Disaster.
– 灾难隐藏在每个棕榈树的背后。 – 你真是狭隘。
– Disaster lurks behind every palm tree. – You’re being narrow-minded.
也许,当她年纪大一点, 我会很乐意带…
Maybe when she’s a little older, I’d be more than happy to bring…
嗨,维达。我们只是有一点点…
Hi, Vada. We were just having a little…
你们在争论关于我的事情。
You were just having a fight about me.
难道你不想听听我的意见吗?
Wouldn’t you like to hear my opinion?
当然。
Of course.
我想,如果我足够成熟可以接受一个新的婴儿…
I think that if I’m old enough to accept a new baby…
已经能接受一个新的房♥间…
…and old enough to accept a new room…
那么我足够成熟可以去加利福尼亚州。
…I’m old enough for California.
我知道想到这些事情很有趣,但…
I know it’s fun to think about these things, but…
我已经买♥♥了票。
I already bought a ticket.
– 什么? – 我用我自己的钱,做了一笔大交易。
– What? – I used my money and got a great deal.
这是一个Q47-NR 5天票价…
It’s a Q47-NR five-day fare…
…这意味着我星期六会在达拉斯停留,然后转机。
…which means I’ll change planes in Dallas and stay over a Saturday.
有没有换班或退款,所以,如果你不让我走…
There’s no exchanges or refunds, so if you don’t let me go…
然后我就会浪费一生的积蓄。
…then I will have wasted my entire life savings.
向未成年人出♥售♥机票是不是违法的?
Isn’t it against the law to sell airline tickets to minors?
不要告诉我是你协助及教唆的这个小计划?
Don’t tell me you aided and abetted this little scheme?
“维达需要我。
Vada needed me.
航♥空♥公♥司♥需要一个成年人的签名。
The airline requires the signature of an adult.
他们忘了问一个没有激素激增问题的人。
They forgot to ask for one who wasn’t having hormone surges.
拜托,哈利!我们要在这里谈论五天吗?
Come on, Harry! We’re talking about five days here.
只是一个简单的学校作业,我们走极端了。
We’re going overboard for just a simple school assignment.
这不只是一个小小的学校作业。
It’s not a little school assignment.
我想正在发生这一切都是有原因的。
I think maybe all of this is happening for a reason.
原因?什么原因?什么?
Reason? What reason? What?
菲尔搬到洛杉矶,格拉默的不在。婴儿就要出生。
Phil’s moving to LA, Gramoo’s passing. The baby being born.
维达的报告。
Vada’s report.
也许所有的这些迹象表明维达是时候去旅行了。
Maybe all of these are signs. Signs that it’s time for Vada to take this trip.
迹象?
Signs?
我在电♥话♥里听到了尼斯湖水怪。
Let me get the Loch Ness Monster on the phone.
你们俩谈了很多呀。
You two have a lot to talk about.
不,对不起。维达的是不会去洛杉矶的。
No, I’m sorry. Vada is not going to Los Angeles.
现在,我已经作出了决定,这是最终的决定。
Now, I have made my decision, and that is final.
请记住,不要和任何人说话。
And remember, don’t talk to anyone.
即使修女坐在你旁边,不跟她说话。
Even if a nun sits next to you, don’t talk to her.
修女。明白了。
No nuns. Got it.
别和男孩说话。答应我。
And no boys. Promise me.
那些洛杉矶人都相当坏,到头来你会怀孕和嗑药的。
Those LA people are all so corrupt, you’ll end up pregnant and on drugs.
不要在太平间带着脚趾标签来见我…
Don’t run to me when you’re in the morgue with a toe tag…
…被殴打的鼻青脸肿看不出是谁。
…having been beaten to an unrecognisable pulp by a surfer.
不要有眼睛接触。
And don’t make eye contact.
它会传达一个隐含的心理漏洞。
It communicates an implied vulnerability.