All the lessons you learn in childhood.
童年的所有经验
kind of come in waves.
像是在不经意间一下子领悟了
We finally saw Waldo Grace play.
我们终于见到沃尔多 格雷斯打球了
And play, and play, and play.
打球, 打球, 打球
In remembering moments such as these
每当我回忆起这样一些时刻
I retain the sad, sweet reflection of being an only child and having a loyal and loving dog.
我总是为自己是独生子, 并有只忠实可爱的小狗, 而觉得即伤感又甜蜜
For the struggles of my life
在我一生的挣扎中
of the dangers, toils and snares of my childhood hymns
童年的危险, 圈套和错误中
loyalty and love
忠诚和爱
are the best things of all
是最美好的事情
and surely the most lasting.
当然, 也是最长久的
The day finally arrived for me to move away from home.
我离开家的那一天终于到了
I was awarded a scholarship to attend Oxford University in England.
我获得了英国牛津大学的奖学金
A long way from Yazoo, Mississippi
他离密西西比的亚苏那么遥远
and a long way from my family and friends.
离我的家和朋友那么遥远
The dog of your boyhood
孩提时代的狗
teaches you a great deal about friendship and love and death.
教会了我很多很多. 关于友谊, 爱和死亡
I was an only child.
我是个独生子
He was an only dog.
他是条独生狗
Old Skip was 11
老斯齐普11岁了
and feeble with arthritis
因为关节炎而行动不便
but he never lost that old devilish look in his eye.
但是, 他的眼睛里从未失去过调皮的眼神
He made my room his own.
他把我的房♥间变成了他的
Came across an old photo of him not long ago.
看着他的老照片
His little face
他的那张小脸
with the long snout sniffing at something in the air.
长鼻子在嗅着空气中的什么
His tail was straight out and pointing
尾巴直挺挺的伸着
eyes were flashing in some momentary excitement.
眼睛里闪着兴奋的光芒
He always loved to be rubbed on the back of his neck.
他一直喜欢别人挠他的后脖颈
And when I did it, he’d yawn, and he’d stretch
我每次这么做, 他都会打哈欠, 伸懒腰
reach out to me with his paws
把爪子伸给我
as if he was trying to embrace me.
好像要拥抱我似的
I received a transatlantic call one day.
一天, 我接到一个越洋电♥话♥
“Skip died”
“斯齐普死了”
Daddy said.
爸爸告诉我
He and my mama wrapped him in my baseball jacket.
他和我的妈妈把斯齐普裹在我的棒球衫里
They buried him out under our elm tree, they said.
他们说, 他们把他埋在了我家的那棵榆树下
That wasn’t totally true
那不都是真的
for he really lay buried
因为他已经扎根在
in my heart.
我的心里